#1 Posted by Saberscar223 (4465 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn’t looking at the box office for superhero films and was very surprised Shazam didn’t even make 360 million. I haven’t seen the film itself but I’ve heard good things about it.

#2 Edited by Richubs (5972 posts) - - Show Bio

@saberscar223:

It had a budget of 90 million so it made more than 3 times its budget.

That's pretty great for a low budget film I'd say.

But yeah it should've hit 600 mil in order to make the character hypeable in the future.

They didn't do anything to market him in a sense people would be crazy about other than superhero fans.

Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all are famous as hell.

Shazam isn't and they should've made its marketing different but there wasn't anything other than the trailer release and general stuff.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#3 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

Coz it was struck between 2 MCU films.

#4 Posted by Jgames (8217 posts) - - Show Bio

DC brand is not that strong, new character, legs was cut short by being in the middle of two box office hit superhero movies. Shazam was also marketed as a fun comedy superhero, which might make people wait until home released rather than seeing it in theater.

#5 Edited by foxerdes (10341 posts) - - Show Bio

It did fine at the beginning. Low-budget; comedy superhero movie; not CGI heavy. The money it was doing fine and really helped with regaining trust of the customers. Then it got butchered by Endgame. Hardly a surprise.

But to answer your question: I don't think it is considered a failure. Quite the opposite I think. A moderate success. It earned some money and was well received which is what DC desperately need right now - a streak of good movies.

#6 Edited by BalancedTruth (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Endgame killed it. Which is ridiculous given the quality gap

#7 Posted by Darkthunder (3225 posts) - - Show Bio

It was between to MCU movies

#8 Edited by Voorhees100 (606 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it made three times its production cost, so that's good. But the three main factors are.

1. Sandwiched between two MCU Movies. People had just gone to see Captain Marvel, and were looking forward to Endgame. Shazam wasn't even on their radar. Matter of fact, I know many who chose to buy endgame presale tickets instead of going to see Shazam.

2. Lack of marketing. Shazam had terrible marketing. Two trailers, the last one less than a month before release. Barely any promotion. Most didn't even know it existed.

3. Not a spectacle. Unlike Aquaman, or Captain Marvel, or Endgame, Shazam wasn't a big Blockbuster, which is a big draw especially over seas. Some probably thought they could skip it without Missing much of a good time.

#9 Posted by hyiena (5378 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have put a well known villian in it.

#10 Posted by mrmonster (16015 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of a terrible release date. This was sandwiched right between 2 MCU movies, it barely got any of the attention that it otherwise could've gotten.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#11 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (17281 posts) - - Show Bio

It made three times it’s budget and is getting a sequel, which will most likely have Dwayne Johnson we’re good.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#12 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

They should have put a well known villian in it.

Sivana's one of Captain Marvel's best known villains, lol

They couldn't put Black Adam in yet due to the plans for the sequel, and Mr Mind.......well, he's Mr Mind. All you need to know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd742ec88b57
#13 Posted by deactivated-5cd742ec88b57 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Marvel and Endgame

#14 Posted by Soratoumiga (3792 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by hyiena (5378 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I mean like a different heroes villain normal people don't know any of Shazam's villains.

#16 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

Endgame killed it. Which is ridiculous given the quality gap

It was already almost dead by the time Endgame came out. Its possible that the hype for Endgame made people forget about it though.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#17 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6070 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

@diarrhearegatta: I mean like a different heroes villain normal people don't know any of Shazam's villains.

That wouldn't make sense then.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#18 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22880 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't that good and it was in between two MCU movies, one of which was Endgame.

#19 Posted by Mrnoital (8148 posts) - - Show Bio

It was much better than captain marvel imo, but people thought cm would tie into endgame, so people chose marvel just cause

#20 Posted by BalancedTruth (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: but Shazam was better by a mile

#21 Posted by Army2442 (3337 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it was unfortunately overlooked by many, it was still a great movie.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#22 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9110 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a mediocre movie so this isn’t surprising.

#23 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18686 posts) - - Show Bio

@balancedtruth: No it wasn’t. Shazam was just ok, End Game was better for me, but overhyped as well.

#24 Posted by DannyPhantom (254 posts) - - Show Bio

better than CM by far, it’s just that Shazam didn’t have the marvel brand backing it so people didn’t feel as obliged to see it. It was a good movie, captured the spirt and tone perfectly, and i bet a sequel would do a lot better.

#25 Posted by Saberscar223 (4465 posts) - - Show Bio

@richubs: it’s just that it seems the lowest grossing super hero film in a long time by a lot. After Aquaman you’d think it’d do better

#26 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18686 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyphantom: tbh I thought Shazam and Captain Marvel were around the same level. I might have liked Shazam a bit better as it was more original and a bit funnier. Both of them were like a 6-7 for me.

#27 Posted by RabumAlal (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the best DCEU movie so far, really dumb when they released it tho.

#28 Edited by PenguinDust (9393 posts) - - Show Bio

@plotweapon16255 said:

Coz it was stuck between 2 MCU films.

Sad but true since I preferred Shazam! to Captain Marvel. As Endgame fever grew exponentially, Shazam! never caught on as something general audiences had to see right now. I think it will do better in the home video market. Captain Marvel was marketed as the bridge between Infinity War and Endgame, plus it was the MCU's first female solo movie, and people wanted to see who this character was who Nick Fury paged as the world turned to dust. Obviously, Endgame itself was the conclusion of the 22 movie adventure, so everyone was talking about it all of the time even when it was still months away from release. The marketing for Shazam! was cute and even a bit nostalgic due to its similarities to 1988's Big. That's not going to excite people in the same way as those two MCU blockbusters.

#29 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (5270 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you imagine saying Shazam was better than Endgame, and actually believing it?

#30 Posted by ImMadNice (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

Lacking replayability. Last superhero movie I didn’t see at least twice in theaters was Suicide Squad. Feel like it was a one and done for a lot of people

#31 Posted by Asgaard (4552 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam never convinced in terms of appeal range, in February the first opening weekend estimates already were low, and if there was franchise power behind Shazam the movie could handle the Disney movies, like Deadpool did last year with IW and Solo...

Even if i did enjoy the movie, i thought the worldbuilding was really weak, and below the norm of current comic book movies...

#32 Posted by DannyPhantom (254 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss: they each had their strengths and weaknesses, what Shazam lacked in (action sequences, effects) cm did better, but almost everything else (story, tone, characters, humor, message, etc.) Shazam did a lot better in my opinion, so I’d give cm like a 7 and Shazam like a 8.2

#33 Posted by uugieboogie (13401 posts) - - Show Bio

It a made a decent amount compared to its budget. Warner Bros did pick a horrible time to release it though.

#34 Posted by modernww2fare (7227 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it made three times its production cost, so that's good. But the three main factors are.

1. Sandwiched between two MCU Movies. People had just gone to see Captain Marvel, and were looking forward to Endgame. Shazam wasn't even on their radar. Matter of fact, I know many who chose to buy endgame presale tickets instead of going to see Shazam.

2. Lack of marketing. Shazam had terrible marketing. Two trailers, the last one less than a month before release. Barely any promotion. Most didn't even know it existed.

3. Not a spectacle. Unlike Aquaman, or Captain Marvel, or Endgame, Shazam wasn't a big Blockbuster, which is a big draw especially over seas. Some probably thought they could skip it without Missing much of a good time.

#35 Posted by MonsterStomp (36975 posts) - - Show Bio

Coz it was struck between 2 MCU films.

Damn, people really be broke.

#36 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18686 posts) - - Show Bio