How can some speeders travel faster than light?

Reptilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Reptilicus

I'm fully aware comics are fiction, but some of the fiction is believed to be a reality one day, such as teleportion....

Characters like Superman has a mass, and according to Albert Einstein, nothing with a mass can exceed the speed of light. I think it's something to do with the closer you get to the speed of light, the less energy will be used for acceleration, rather it will continuous be converted to mass, making acceleration no longer possible.

Zhakaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zhakaraz

Don't know about Superman

But to writers Speed Force = We can do whateva we want!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KnightRise

@Zhakaraz said:

Don't know about Superman

But to writers Speed Force = We can do whateva we want!

Speed Force. Kryptonian bio-electro-magnetic matrix field whatchamacallit. Lantern energy. Magic. Just pretend Einstien would look theother way

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By artgamer

@Reptilicus: i think normal logic, and comics do not mix

Reptilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Reptilicus

@ArtGamer: @KnightRise: @Zhakaraz:

All good points.

I think Flash is an exception though. Many scientists believe reality can be warped, allowing an object to get to point a to b faster than light. The speed force might also be like a warp device. However, I can't wrap my head around how Superman can just fly faster than light without any warping lol.

True, it's fiction. But I wonder if it's logically possible to get around Albert's logic.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

Sorry to be all silly, but its probably more accurate to say according to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. Much like Einstein's work helped expand and fill in gaps and correct his predecessors work and theories, Newton, Poincaré and lots of other guys with names I always screw up, their has been much expansion and filling in of gaps of his. Albert Einstein living today with today's technology and with newer more knowledgeable peers, and much more discovery since his passing (RIP Big OG E) and so on might have expanded theories superior to his own. Ultimately its not so much about the people, but the objective truth and knowledge and we know enough to know that we still don't know and its easy to exploit that gap in knowledge in fiction to let characters do all sorts of funky things and hint that for all we know their may be hidden dimensions or realities or energy processes in synch with certain sentient beings that allows for rare and unusual and previously thought unreasonable phenomena. Or at least enough to have stories be fun even to those who need certain grounding to help make story buyable. 

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Cause comics

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sinestro_GL

Don't think too hard about it :)

PeaTearGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PeaTearGriffin

If some theories are correct, and there are numerous (if not infinite) universes...then chances are there is a universe were beings can exceed light speed without Relativistic repercussions. For example,

No Caption Provided
greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By greenteaforme

By running very fast.

No, but...really...they're comics. And there are many more "impossible" things that running very fast.

Also, if you are running at that speed, they wouldn't leave a trail of red (or whatever) like that. Rather, Flash could start somewhere, run around and do whatnot, and then return to view himself standing at the point he left, and even return to that point, making it appear as if he didn't move at all.

Speed = time travel. Really.

PeaTearGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeaTearGriffin

@greenteaforme:To add, if Flash were running that fast, the gravitational pull wouldn't be enough to keep him on the ground and he would just fly off into space

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Speed Force covers the Speedsters. I'm pretty sure that Superman can't travel FTL (if he can, that's dumb).  

Lanterns have Lantern Plot Power of Awesome. 

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By The_Thunderer

I have always wondered why flash doesn't take off?

Connoronnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Connoronnor

We have a world where having a ring powered by a magic lantern can create magic using only willpower, and you're asking why people can go faster than light?

_Blade_Master_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By _Blade_Master_

@PeaTearGriffin said:

If some theories are correct, and there are numerous (if not infinite) universes...then chances are there is a universe were beings can exceed light speed without Relativistic repercussions. For example,

No Caption Provided

EPIC SHIZZ

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enosisik

They also say that The big bang expanded the universe at a speed faster than light so it must be possible since the mass inside the universe and the matter were being pushed at that speed.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrimsonCake

I can't imagine the marvel and dc universe having the same laws of physics we do.Could you imagine if comic books adhered to real science and physics?Well the new 52 Flash does.If flash can travel faster than the speed of light then he would be able to Circle the earth 7 times in 1 second.Can anyone post a scan where he has done that because I'm not aware of any feats.

Protoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Protoon

I think you just have to suspend disbelief; same with Star Trek.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Redberry

A wizard did it.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By poeticwarrior

Anyone who can moves faster than the speed of light is NOT and NEVER will be a speedster, they're reality warpers.

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because comic feats or a least of most them have nothing to do with science...

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By EyeDCyou

There's no logic in comics.

Also, I'm pretty sure teleportation was proved to be physically impossible, along with time travel.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed force brah, it's basically a big screw you to physics

Avatar image for deactivated-60260d105a8eb
deactivated-60260d105a8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this makes me think;how can speedsters see and/or hear things faster than light...

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

anything is possible in comics

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a theory as life goes on we learn new things. We used to believe the theory that the Earth was the center of the universe.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes we are talking about comics and fiction.

But at the end of the day a simple fact remains, until you know absolutely everything nothing is impossible.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's all about speed

Avatar image for deactivated-625127ebf2404
deactivated-625127ebf2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: You can move faster than light via Warp drive or Hyperdrive

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godzilla44 said:

it's a theory as life goes on we learn new things. We used to believe the theory that the Earth was the center of the universe.

your comment reminded me that around 70 years ago we use to say that sound barrier was unbreakable...

exactly in 50 years I wouldn't be surprised we'l find a way to go as fast as light

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArticulateT

As far as I can tell, there kind of is a scientific theory on how we can move faster than light, although really we're not moving at all. It's what they're working with to make hyperdrive things and allow us to properly explore the universe; allow us to get from Earth to Alpha Centuri in a week rather than countless millennia.

The idea is there is matter in the universe that, much like water, is displaced by physical things. Using something that pushes this matter away, the engine would basically move the universe around it, thereby displacing us rather than us actually moving. If you're looking to apply that to comics, then you could say that the Speed Force or whatever kryptonian biological function permits Superman to Fly, and that there's not horrendous Sonic Boom when they do, then you could say it is basically manipulating this matter around them when they run/fly.

That, and the Speed Force allows the various Flashes to manipulate their own molecules to vibrate at various speeds, and that kinda gets into a territory that I have no way to explain. In any case, this allows them to phase in and out of physical reality and time travel.

This is what I was thinking of (and yes, I am aware of the thumbnail >_> ):

Loading Video...

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godzilla44 said:

your comment reminded me that around 70 years ago we use to say that sound barrier was unbreakable...

I think those are pretty different situations. I mean, I've never seen an exact quote of those statements, but I'm betting they basically revolve around the idea that humans would never develop a power source strong enough to propel a manned aircraft faster than sound (after all, bullets and canons already fired objects faster than sound). This would also fall under the definition of conjecture, rather than true theoretical physics.

Conversely, in Relativity, it isn't an issue that we won't be capable of breaking the light barrier. Rather, it is an intrinsic, mathematically provable fact of nature that nothing can break the lightbarrier (at least, not by accelerating from sub-light to superluminal). It would literally require infinite energy to accelerate a an object of non-zero rest mass from any sublight speed to lightspeed, let alone beyond it.

Also worth noting is that Einstein's theory is now 100 years old, making it a few decades older than the belief you cited, and yet it has stood inviolate this whole time, and all our advances in science and technology have done nothing but reinforce its validity, over and over and over.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cuz speeders

gokuisking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reptilicus: dude there comics of course it don't make sense, nice logic though! (I actually mean that,its not sarcasm).