• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: I am not biased at all. I enjoy good movies and good material. For comics, DC usually gives me better content. That doesn't mean I actively go out of my way to bash Marvel content, because I want to like the majority of that too.

#52 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: You are really splitting hairs man. Almost anyone reading that line would call it a joke. If you want to get technical both the trailer line and the line in the comic would be a "one liner" rather than a "joke" because a joke has a set up and a punchline. In fact, if you want to get super technical what Spider-Man does is largely impov humor, which again, covers both lines. Now you could say the movie line is closer to a "joke" but that is still very blurry line.

#53 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: No, not really.

One is designed to make the audience bust a gut, the other isn't. It's a pretty simple distinction.

#54 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: And then I take time to explain how you're missing that distinction and then you tell me I'm wrong by virtue of you being correct. This started fun but now its just dead ending.

#55 Posted by CaptainSalt (816 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol this is a fanboy butthurt thread.

#56 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Perhaps it's because this is entirely subjective and we can think each other is wrong, which is ok.

#57 Posted by TheSoulForge (121 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the trailer is good enough - and I disagree with all of the points - with the High School aspect - at this point I'd say we've about seen every possible aspect a movie universe can have - except for the horror part - and getting the pov of a teenage kid should be a welcomed change - let's wait and see how Marvel studio handles the life of a superhero teenager before we start making judgements - and if you really know Spidey - then you know he's an annoying guy that never shuts up - and is only funny about 3% - 5% of the time - .::

#58 Posted by Strider1992 (18501 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I thought the humor was pretty close to comic spider-man to be honest. Less jerk-like than Garfield and more fluid than Maguire.

2. I liked him in Civil War but I will reserve final judgement until after this movie.

3. I agree 100℅ I've been clamoring for an adult Peter since Spider-man 2.

4. Kinda see what you're getting at however what Marvel seem to be doing is all of their mainstream stuff is following a set of guidelines which in all fairness are working for them. However they are doing different things with their TV series. So I believe that Marvel has the variety thing nailed down pretty well.

#59 Posted by jb681131 (3076 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz said:

Sorry, this is legitimately how I feel. And no, I'm not trolling. I have to make that clear because people always cry wolf about that.

(1) Trying WAY too hard to be funny, which is frankly expected from an MCU film at this point. It was cute in the first Iron Man. It fails when you apply it to Doctor Strange, and it fails when you shoehorn jokes that are entirely unnatural for Peter. "Heeeey... You guys aren't the real Avengers!" It's just a line I can tell was thought up in some Corporate boardroom.

(2) Actor for Peter sucks boiled eggs. Seriously, he's awful. The issue I have with him is the same one I have with Hemsworth, Eisenberg, Evans, and Amy Adams. You can tell they're putting on a performance. Maybe it's the way they carry themselves, or how they deliver their lines, but there's just something there that constantly reminds you, "Hey, that's not Thor! That's Hemsworth with a crappy accent!" Peter's actor came across this way.

(3) Have absolutley zero interest in HS drama Peter Parker. Can we please just get adult Peter back? Thanks.

(4) MCU movie plot continues to look generic without breaking any mold. It's ok to have an "MCU flavor" for their brand, but it's as though they're all the same film with different coats of paint. Look, instead of magic, Peter has webs! Instead of being Nazis, the bad guys taking over the world are Nazi ALIENS! It gets old.

Just my thoughts. To say the least, I wasn't pleased.

I just read some hot garbage.

(1) Spider-man was never a serious hero !

(2) You know, boiled eggs are very good. He can suck them if he wants. What's wrong with you and actors ! And I fond Evans very good. It's always easy to hate !

(3) Then don't watch it.

(4) Well it reflects Marvel's comics, so I don't see the problem here.

#60 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: Agreed. Except we didn't need a right/wrong dichotomy to start with. I said his jokes seemed like normal to me. (impersonal opinion) I didn't say you were wrong for disliking him joking.

You said I was wrong for thinking his movie line was normal. (personal assertion)

I know what I'm talking about because I've studied or practiced comedy for most of my life. You know you're talking about because you're a Spider-Man expert apparently.

At this point we aren't even debating the same thing. I'm talking humor delivery while you're on about humor intent. Which is ironic as they ultimately have the same intent anyway. The comic "banter" is to entertain the readers. They try to say it has a purpose in-universe but ultimately it is entertainment for us. Same with the movie lines.

#61 Edited by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Nope, wrong again.

You stated Peter's jokes seemed like his normal comic book self. I disagreed, saying the normal Peter doesn't tell jokes like that in my view. And we can both disagree with each other, because that's a beautiful thing.

Understand?

EDIT: Not sure if "studied and practied comedy my entire life" is supposed to be a joke or not, lol. Where's the laughbox located, professor?

#62 Edited by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

My only real complaint was turning Ned Leeds into Peter's Ganke. I get they wanted to give him someone confide in but now it's almost certain we won't be getting Miles in the future unless they change his dynamic.

#63 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz said:

Instead of being Nazis, the bad guys taking over the world are Nazi ALIENS!

No Caption Provided

#64 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: See, there's that word again. You keep saying I'm wrong for thinking the joke was normal, while I haven't said you were wrong for thinking otherwise. You say this while suggesting we agree to disagree. I'm not wrong because he does make jokes in the comics. This was shown to you and you disregarded it. This shows that you will only accept scans that prove your opinion and that is not how debate works.

Show me your degree in Spider-Man and I'll tell you.

#65 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Because I do think you're wrong, and think I'm right. I don't agree that that version of Peter is the correct one that should be used. You need to get over this, because not everyone is going to agree with you in life. Sometimes people will just say you're wrong.

I don't have one, cause I never claimed to be a Spider-Man expert. You're a self-proclaimed authority on humor and comedy. Didn't know Clown Colleges were still a thing - did you attend to discover the true objective nature of human comedy in-between writing Pokemon blogs and Creepypastas? Lol.

#66 Posted by mindleech (742 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel you OP.

The trailer seemed just like GotG 2 aka well done but I like them medium rare.

#67 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: Yes. You think you're right. That is the truest thing you have said so far. The use of the word "version" is weird since you used the same "version" for your argument. I could go on about how being "right" is impossible since you admit there are different interpretations or versions. And different writers and what is canon and around and around but at this point you seem more interested in trying to annoy me rather than discussion. So whatever.

#68 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Yes, I think I'm right. And you think you're right. Since this is ultimately subjective, we can both think the other is wrong while thinking we are correct. Welcome to basic human discussion, courtesy of being over the age of 11.

#69 Posted by IceDemonKing (9990 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't agree but what are you gonna do

i really liked the joke part

#70 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

It sold me on Vulture, I was dreading that guy but now I think there's a good chance he'll be the best Marvel villain. It also put a lot of focus on Tom which shows that they are confident in their lead, contrast this to the Wonder Woman trailer and Gadot barely was showing any acting prowess. Admittedly the rest of it was generic but it'll be a home run for Marvel, there's no doubt about that.

crazy how in a thread anout MCU spiderman , something about dceu still comes up , pathetic

#71 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Fairly entertaining thread.

#72 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: Except we could disagree without there being a hard right or wrong. You keep saying I'm wrong while saying this is subjective. That isn't really how that works. I have read comics where he jokes. I've heard him make jokes in the animated shows. Again, this has ceased to be about whether or not he makes quirky comments and has become about the delivery E.G. banter vs jokes. I say the definition of a joke is broad, you say its meant to make people laugh. I say his dialogue (movies or otherwise) is written to entertain the viewer and are generally delivered in a humorous fashion, like a joke. You say I am wrong.

Obviously we are not going to agree on the definition of a joke. Fine. However neither of us can be hard wrong or hard right if the topic is subjective, courtesy of understanding subjectivity. If we accept there are different "versions" of Spider-Man than you could say this "jokey version" is the wrong one to be used. That's fine. That's between you and the studio. The issue is you telling me I'm wrong when I'm okay with this "version."

Either this is completely subjective or it isn't subjective at all. I can't help but feel when you use the word 'subjective' you mean you are allowed to hate this version of the character. I agree with you on this. The split is where you either feel I am wrong for being okay with this version or you feel I'm wrong for saying I've seen this version. Neither of these options make a ton of sense, especially with the endless talk of subjectivity. You want to reasonably disagree while supporting an unreasonable assertion and I cannot reconcile these divided notions.

Not sure trading up mocking for being edgy is really an improvement. Though I found it funny that after resorting to childish mockery you chose to end on an age stinger. "Lol" indeed.

#73 Posted by StormShadow_X (16700 posts) - - Show Bio

It was pretty nice

#74 Posted by Lawz (893 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

It sold me on Vulture, I was dreading that guy but now I think there's a good chance he'll be the best Marvel villain. It also put a lot of focus on Tom which shows that they are confident in their lead, contrast this to the Wonder Woman trailer and Gadot barely was showing any acting prowess. Admittedly the rest of it was generic but it'll be a home run for Marvel, there's no doubt about that.

crazy how in a thread anout MCU spiderman , something about dceu still comes up , pathetic

I agree, the DCEU is pathetic.

#75 Edited by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: That's actually entirely what subjectivity means. Since there are no wrong or right answers, everything can be considered a right or wrong answer. Technically I could say we're both right and it would mean the same thing. I don't, because that terminology is confusing.

Let's say you're a huge fan of mushrooms. I despise mushrooms. You come up to me and say, "Man, mushrooms are delicious!" I in turn disagree and say that you're wrong, saying mushrooms are disgusting. It doesn't mean that the mushrooms aren't delicious to you. It means that from my perspective, you are wrong and they are not delicious. That's what subjectivity is. I'm surprised I have to break this down and explain this to what I assume is an adult woman.

I'm not saying you're personally wrong for liking the character a certain way. I'm saying that from my perspective, I think you're wrong in how you want the character to be portrayed. Simple stuff, and I never said anything to the contrary. Reading comprehension is tough, amirite?

Stick to writing Pokemon blogs. I'm sure that's subject matter you can handle, along with my 8 year old cousin. Lol.

#76 Posted by Lawz (893 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved everything about the trailer, the burgeoning relationship between Tony and Peter, the look of Vulture, Spiderman trying to find his role in a world already inundated with super powered individuals, the true to the comics younger take on the character.

Everything looks great in the MCU going forward.

I did have a nightmare last night though Zack Snyder was directing Infinity War and the entire 2.5 hour film was actually just the same 10 minutes in ultra slow motion, and the after the credits scene had Zack Snyder holding the time gem in his mouth while he whacked it onto a pile of comicbooks.

#77 Posted by cfrehse (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

Super heroe movies wont get old. Especially of they are decent quality like marvel puts out. It is its own genre. Thats like saying action movies and co.idies get old. They dont as long as they are decent movies

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#78 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio
Okay?
Okay?
No Caption Provided

Still gonna see it first day. Looking forward to next year.

#79 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: Lets say this using your example: You like mushrooms and I hate them. You come to me and say "I think mushrooms are delicious" to which I reply "I don't care for them myself." This is a very basic method of expression which most people use, unless you just want confrontation. In this way I has expressed that I do not like mushrooms without saying you are wrong for liking them. That is also subjectivity. I would assume someone with such a grasp of the concept would understand that. But that's what I get for assuming things.

Please show me where I said I wanted the character portrayed this way. I never said I wanted that. I said I was okay with that. At best I have acceptance to his portrayal, which is not tantamount to desire. This is like confusing someone standing still with someone running. Since we are using metaphors now.

TL;DR it is possible to disagree without asserting absolutes.

Are you still doing the immature singers? As you are being upset of a comic character representation? As you created a thread to complain about a trailer, for what is essentially a kids movie? Nothing ironic about that.

#80 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Except by saying, "I don't care for them myself" you're actually saying "I disagree, I think they taste bad". Stop grasping at straws, this argument is pathetic. What's the alternative in your logic? If you argue that saying "I don't care for them myself" isn't disagreeing, then conversely you would have to be agreeing. It's black and white. All this to say that your example doesn't matter, because I can just as well say that from my perspective you're still wrong, since mushrooms are gross.

Right, and I'm disagreeing with your acceptance of this portrayal.

It sure is. That doesn't always mean it's what will happen, though, since it's just as proper to disagree in absolutes if you want to.

Did you mean, "zingers"? And this is a whole other subjective argument, where I think Pokemon is for little children and as a grown woman with (hopefully) a sense of pride and maturity, you shouldn't be playing it. Especially while little eight year olds rub their booger on their Gameboy doing the exact same thing. Know what's fantastic? You can disagree and continue playing Pokemon! Wow, funny how that works, isn't it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#81 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, it looks like a bread and butter MCU film. I have no interest in seeing it.

#82 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: Saying mushrooms are gross is not an absolute. It is an opinion. Saying someone is wrong for thinking mushrooms are delicious is wrong because it suggests that all mushrooms are gross and all people that enjoy them are wrong. But I have a sense of self-awareness and I understand what subjective means, so I know that just because I don't like them doesn't mean they are gross. I simply don't like them and I can say that maturely and without being confrontational. Saying I don't like them just that. Not that people who like them are wrong.

So you admit you are actively disagreeing with my passive acceptance, even as am open to your preference of the character. And somehow I'm the immature one. And in this case you are purposefully stating in absolutes that I am wrong for not hating this version along with you. because that is what you are saying. If things are "black and white" then I am against you because I'm not with you. While still going on about subjectivity. You mix these concepts to suit your argument and then pad out your post with insults and rude comments. At least I'm not grasping at insults to pad out my reply.

No, I mean stingers, but thank you. And here we are again, if it doesn't count to you it isn't a valid point. In this case Spider-Man not being a movie for kids, even though it totally is. Again, this is not how debate works. You can say what you want but that's doesn't make it an argument. You can disregard what you like but that doesn't negate it. I could try to be gross or rude or insult you but that wouldn't make an intelligent reply.

Wait. Are you saying I can like Pokemon even though you don't? Wow! Its almost like you can like or dislike something without being rude and confrontational about it. For example, I don't think you are wrong for disliking Pokemon. Because I don't have to deal in absolutes. I can talk to people that like or dislike things I like without saying they are right or wrong. because they aren't right or wrong. because liking or hating Pokemon are not absolute ideologies. Liking or hating this version of Spider-Man is not an absolute ideology.

If I said this was the only version of him you could call me wrong. Because that would be untrue. And since we are repeating ourselves, you created a thread to rant about a kids movie. Because that's something to be proud of I guess.

#83 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that the OP has made an effort to respond to everybody's comments in such quick and hilarious succession should speak volumes on how taking him seriously would be like asking Lennie Small to join NASA.

#84 Posted by Ryokuma100 (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

...but you're still gonna watch it.

I don't get the problem.

#85 Posted by Iara (970 posts) - - Show Bio

wildvine vs slayz

Wildvine stomps.

#86 Posted by MerelyaMeerkat (21 posts) - - Show Bio

"Have absolutley zero interest in HS drama Peter Parker. Can we please just get adult Peter back? Thanks."

Well, it's called "Spider-Man: Homecoming."

I like high school Spider-Man.

But yeah, that joke with the avenger masked burglars was terrible.

#87 Edited by MerelyaMeerkat (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11: No it doesn't. Why don't you focus on what they said, that you don't like, instead of beingthat way?

#88 Edited by BlueHope (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it looks terrible,the worst MCU trailer by far,I also hated how this is possibly going to be the spiderman movie least loyal to the material source, but MCU has being doing a pretty solid job with their movies so far so it will probably be a good movie.

#89 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5027 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh look, why am I NOT surprised at who made this thread -_-?

#90 Posted by uugieboogie (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

@iara said:

wildvine vs slayz

Wildvine stomps.

#91 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Slayz...

No Caption Provided

...Just got slayed.

No Caption Provided

#92 Posted by The_Kidd (11995 posts) - - Show Bio

Not garbage just uninteresting.

#93 Posted by Noone1996 (11691 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#94 Posted by Nufious (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle:

I think comic book movies are just popular these days because of trendy bandwagoning and pop culture. This trailer offered nothing you haven't seen already.

I am a pretty big MCU fan and I agree with this statement. The trailer was painfully mediocre and people are crooning over it because of the novelty of a standalone Spider-Man film in the MCU. Let the movie earn your respect.

This

Avatar image for spideyandslendy
#95 Posted by spideyandslendy (1770 posts) - - Show Bio
#96 Posted by TDK_1997 (18684 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer looked fantastic in m opinion. Vulture looks like the villain the MCU needed for years, Holland looks like he can handle a role like this and the humor was typical Spider-Man. Only complaint I have is changing most of the characters just for the sake of diversity because Marvel are All-New and All-Different and everything about them is about equality nowadays.

#97 Posted by Keenko (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread makes my eyes roll

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#98 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked everything in the trailer with the exception of RDJ. There's no place for him there. Vulture looked great when he flew down. That was a great money-shot. Same with Spisey and Iron Man moving together. Those were greats shots

#99 Posted by VoloErgoMalus (2880 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it looks like garbage. Mediocre Hollywood preach-morality-to-the-converted, shamelessly-mooch-off-of-more-substantive-material-that-pioneered-the franchise garbage that's not even fit to lick the Raimi trilogy's boots. I've given the MCU lots of chances, probably due to my Marvel/DC immersed childhood, but I saw a French movie last night called L'Avenir that more or less eradicated my last vestige of hope in the American film industry as a whole. It was an honest portrayal of the uncertainty essential to the human condition and the mostly mundane, if philosophically re-contextualized troubles of people that have attempted to come to terms with it, one that, in a reflection of the absurd, inexplicable world we live in, encouraged explanation and interpretation without spoon-feeding it, without cramming one of our insidious media's usual trite ethical messages down the viewer's throat. This is what cinema is for: reflecting on life, and in doing so, reflecting on and evolving the self as the vessel that holds it. Celebrating our individualism, not sedating ourselves with escapism and swallowing the ham-fisted, mind-numbing moral tracts that have long been the norm in the English-speaking entertainment industry like a bunch of tired, degenerate alcoholics do beer. I'm done.

#100 Posted by OrangeBat (960 posts) - - Show Bio

Holland was OK. It's pretty obvious that this was supposed to be a Miles Morales film, what with Peter's fat Asian friend (which, I must admit, is something that makes way more sense than Peter being friends with a moody rich kid like Harry) and Flash Thompson looking like an Indian tech nerd instead of a white, blond jock like he is supposed to be. Vulture is eh, though it was cool how they did a homage to Batman's drop scene in Arkham Asylum from Batman Begins with him dropping down and shattering glass. Robert Downey Jr. shouldn't be in this at all, or at most should have about 10 to 15 minutes of screen-time maximum.