Homecoming Trailer looked like hot garbage.

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry, this is legitimately how I feel. And no, I'm not trolling. I have to make that clear because people always cry wolf about that.

(1) Trying WAY too hard to be funny, which is frankly expected from an MCU film at this point. It was cute in the first Iron Man. It fails when you apply it to Doctor Strange, and it fails when you shoehorn jokes that are entirely unnatural for Peter. "Heeeey... You guys aren't the real Avengers!" It's just a line I can tell was thought up in some Corporate boardroom.

(2) Actor for Peter sucks boiled eggs. Seriously, he's awful. The issue I have with him is the same one I have with Hemsworth, Eisenberg, Evans, and Amy Adams. You can tell they're putting on a performance. Maybe it's the way they carry themselves, or how they deliver their lines, but there's just something there that constantly reminds you, "Hey, that's not Thor! That's Hemsworth with a crappy accent!" Peter's actor came across this way.

(3) Have absolutley zero interest in HS drama Peter Parker. Can we please just get adult Peter back? Thanks.

(4) MCU movie plot continues to look generic without breaking any mold. It's ok to have an "MCU flavor" for their brand, but it's as though they're all the same film with different coats of paint. Look, instead of magic, Peter has webs! Instead of being Nazis, the bad guys taking over the world are Nazi ALIENS! It gets old.

Just my thoughts. To say the least, I wasn't pleased.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Incoming....

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It sold me on Vulture, I was dreading that guy but now I think there's a good chance he'll be the best Marvel villain. It also put a lot of focus on Tom which shows that they are confident in their lead, contrast this to the Wonder Woman trailer and Gadot barely was showing any acting prowess. Admittedly the rest of it was generic but it'll be a home run for Marvel, there's no doubt about that.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Gadot is another one that constantly reminds me that she's acting. Everyone praised her "ad-libbing" those smirks during battle in BvS, but I thought they were awkward and forced.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's wrong with Evans as Cap?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@the_stegman said:

Incoming....

Spider-Man: Incoming? The sequel to Homecoming?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowing your pattern there is a really high probability that its just the usual preferences insecurity thing...

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lettsplay10

K

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Sounded like his usual banter joke to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Respect your opinion, and I'm not happy with parts of the trailer either (Why is Peter Parker basically Miles Morales here when you got him so right in Civil War? And please don't make the whole film about pleasing Tony! Let Pete be his own man!), but I gotta say, that whole "Heeeey, you guys aren't the real Avengers!" thing is exactly the kind of joke Parker would make. Even the more modern Ultimate Parker.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of agree on point 2. Holland is the only MCU/DCEU actor so far that seems to be really phoning it in to me. It just looks like he's really trying to play the awkward, nerdy, wisecracker, instead of actually playing the role. Even with Hemsworth, his accent is the only thing that throws me off from time to time, not his acting in general. With Tobey, the peter parker persona just felt natural and was easily the best. With Andrew, I felt he nailed the parts of Spider-Man that Tobey didn't. With Holland, I just feel like the producers wanted to satisfy the "look" more than the quality. But, we'll see.

I either flat out disagree or think it's too early to tell with the other points.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Maybe if a hack is writing the Spider-Man you're reading.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good one, great b8

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: That's fine, I'm just curious as to what you think stands out about this film to set it apart from another generic MCU film.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fully respect your opinion man, but I personally disagree.

1. Seemed like a typical young Spider-Man joke to me...

2. Eh, I think it's too soon to call whether he's as bad as you say or not.

3. High school is a stage of his character. Though maybe I have less of an issue with it because I am in high school.

4. Now this one... I agree with to some extent. Though I don't think I'd say every marvel film has followed this mold, a good portion of them have.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@buttersdaman000: That's fine, I'm just curious as to what you think stands out about this film to set it apart from another generic MCU film.

Because i've only seen the trailer. I don't know how the contents of this movie will play out. I don't know if every joke will be corny and forced (although I didn't mind the Avengers joke), and I can't call it generic based on 2 minutes of footage. If you breakdown any movie to the barebones of it's plot, which is basically what we got here, it'll look generic.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

Sounded like his usual banter joke to me.

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God plz just plz no iron man needed in spiderman movie. I have enough of ironman in his 3 movies , 2 avengers movie and 1 captain America movie.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't anything great, but it was hardly a hot garbage.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarthAznable

I hought it looked pretty good minus the TERRIBLE CGI. Like did they even try?

I'm not expecting a thrilling plot. Just a fun movie with Spidey.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@asgaard: What?

Do i really need to explain? OK Then...

You and a lot other comic book fans like a lot from a comic book company and their characters, and consequently (by default) dislike its biggest competitor and their characters, setting low standards to what you like and really high to what you dislike... Then you and others like you create threads after threads where the content is always influenced by the mentioned preferences insecurity...

Example...

Why did Civil War have to spoil BP's Involvement?

That's something I really would have wanted to be surprised by.

Imagine Tony saying he's got to meet a "benefactor" and the reveal would have been Black Panther! It would have made such a cool moment.

Ah, well.

I don't think so. This really spoiled the movie for me. The experience just won't be the same.

@darkdetective27 said:

Im guessing this thread is counter against how people are complaing about Doomsday being spoiled.

Personally I dont see why they shouldnt have shown him in the trailer. Marvel had already told us he was in the film and we already saw those leaked set photos. It makes sense for him to be in the trailer since he will play a large role in the film.

Hmm, you would appear to be right.

OP, don't make threads to create drama. Thanks.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: That's another thing I forgot to mention, although production is still pretty early. Don't know if I can look past Holland's acting to have fun with this movie.

@rbt: Clickbait honestly. It just looked mediocre to me, but certainly not a bad film. More disappointed in not getting my particular vision for Pete.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I still have literally no idea what you're talking about. I didn't make this thread because I enjoy DC properties more on average, I made it because I didn't enjoy this trailer.

Try again.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have to understand that Marvel movies are created mostly for a younger audience (8+\16). The plot has always the same simple structure. I can tell you the entire story of this new Spider Man simply watching the trailer.

Superhero movies are generally for kids, TDK trilogy by Christopher Nolan is an exception

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Funnily enough I disagree with pretty much all of your points and yet still agree with you that it was a bad trailer.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz:

@rbt: Clickbait honestly. It just looked mediocre to me, but certainly not a bad film. More disappointed in not getting my particular vision for Pete.

I expected that, tbh. The movie is going to be very much like any other MCU intro movie and I am okay with it. And I agree, they could definitely have cast someone better for a role as big as Peter.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rbt said:

It wasn't anything great, but it was hardly a hot garbage.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funnily enough I disagree with pretty much all of your points and yet still agree with you that it was a bad trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks meh, I'm not a big Spidey fan though...

Incoming....

Nope, a relatively civil thread with discussions and people respecting each others (negative) opinions on the trailer.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cattlebattle

I agree.

I think comic book movies are just popular these days because of trendy bandwagoning and pop culture. This trailer offered nothing you haven't seen already. It's pretty much dudes in tights punching things, making jokes and explosions.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

@slayz said:

Maybe if a hack is writing the Spider-Man you're reading.

Okay. Care to offer an example of joke Spider-Man would make?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

With Holland, I just feel like the producers wanted to satisfy the "look" more than the quality. But, we'll see.

God, I agree with this statement. Look, I love Holland as the character, but can we not sit here and pretend like it's masterful acting? I could totally get behind why someone wouldn't like it, even if I'm not one of those people.

@wildvine said:
@slayz said:

Maybe if a hack is writing the Spider-Man you're reading.

Okay. Care to offer an example of joke Spider-Man would make?

I want to hear this too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

I think comic book movies are just popular these days because of trendy bandwagoning and pop culture. This trailer offered nothing you haven't seen already. It's pretty much dudes in tights punching things, making jokes and explosions.

Marvel (especially) doesn't even have to try anymore, and that is sad.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@cattlebattle:

I think comic book movies are just popular these days because of trendy bandwagoning and pop culture. This trailer offered nothing you haven't seen already.

I am a pretty big MCU fan and I agree with this statement. The trailer was painfully mediocre and people are crooning over it because of the novelty of a standalone Spider-Man film in the MCU. Let the movie earn your respect.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Banter, not jokes. Peter isn't supposed to tell jokes that are designed for "Haha!" laughs. They're just snarky, witty comments made in passing. This was clearly a joke made for the audience to laugh at.

Example of what I'm talking about;

https://abload.de/img/ultimatespider-man125npp30.jpg

Translate the dialouge in that scan to film. Is it a joke? Not really. It's nothing you laugh at. Audiences wouldn't bust a gut to it like they will with the trailer's line. It's just Peter being witty.

That's how I vision Peter's banter.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@farkam: You're right, CV has restored some faith.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
@slayz said:

@wildvine: Banter, not jokes. Peter isn't supposed to tell jokes that are designed for "Haha!" laughs. They're just snarky, witty comments made in passing. This was clearly a joke made for the audience to laugh at.

Example of what I'm talking about;

https://abload.de/img/ultimatespider-man125npp30.jpg

Translate the dialouge in that scan to film. Is it a joke? Not really. It's nothing you laugh at. Audiences wouldn't bust a gut to it like they will with the trailer's line. It's just Peter being witty.

That's how I vision Peter's banter.

That is only one kind of humour, though. Since you used Ultimate Spider-Man as an example, I will also do the same:

No Caption Provided

This, for instance, is a joke. Spider-Man does both - banter and jokes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: You're right, CV has restored some faith.

I don't think it would be the same if this was people posting their dislikes of a DCEU trailer.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: That's pretty meta, though. I think the "joke" there is that he's trying too hard to make jokes.

And besides, I have the same issue with that scan.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@slayz:

That's pretty meta, though. I think the "joke" there is that he's trying too hard to make jokes.

Why don't you "think" the same about the joke delivered in Homecoming?

And besides, I have the same issue with that scan.

Yet, you still used an USM scan as the standard to which MCU Spider-Man should be faithful to. The same Spider-Man of which cracked a joke.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@asgaard: I still have literally no idea what you're talking about. I didn't make this thread because I enjoy DC properties more on average, I made it because I didn't enjoy this trailer.

Try again.

OK... Unlike what you are trying to say you are one of CV users that demonstrated several times with several threads to be incredibly BIASED regarding Dceu and Mcu content...

@cattlebattle:

I think comic book movies are just popular these days because of trendy bandwagoning and pop culture. This trailer offered nothing you haven't seen already.

I am a pretty big MCU fan and I agree with this statement. The trailer was painfully mediocre and people are crooning over it because of the novelty of a standalone Spider-Man film in the MCU. Let the movie earn your respect.

Or the comic book bubble is not a good representation of the casual movie going audiences, that don't debate this subjects to exhaustion... Like it or didn't like it they just move on...

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Because it's obvious that wasn't their intent. And even if it was, I already said I think that's stupid, too.

I used the scan as an example. I haven't read literally every issue of USM.