History is made for the biggest opening in movie history!!!!!!!

• 50 results
comic_fan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"The eighth film in the popular "Fast and Furious" franchise raced to an estimated $532.5 million box office opening around the world this weekend, according to its studio Universal Pictures.

That total beats the global record held by Disney (DIS)'s "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," which made $529 million worldwide its opening weekend in 2015."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/16/media/fate-of-the-furious-box-office/

So what are your thoughts on this?

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thekillerklok

That's the one with cars and "Family" right?

I don't get it.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That really suprises me. I guess it probably has a more universal appeal than most other movies, but beating Star Wars? I thought it was gonna be years before that happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f
deactivated-5c531df1eeb1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wait until Christmas when "The Last Jedi" tops 550 million.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yay, I guess. I gave up on those movies after the 7th one, but really remember loosing interest as early as the 5th one. But I guess if people were psyched for it, great for them.

Surprised that it beat out SW though. Then again, Furious 7 beat out the Avengers and Jurassic World beat out Batman v Superman.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

they honestly should've stopped after Paul Walker died. It's not I'm not interested anymore, it's just a respect thing for him passing away idk.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wtf why ?

Avatar image for theawesomeflashsandiego32
theawesomeflashsandiego32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: yeah he was a key member of the group. Do they acknowledge him in the movie at all?

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know street racers fighting a submarine had that much appeal.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theawesomeflashsandiego32: haven't seen the new one yet. I'd imagine they would, they tastelessly used his passing for marketing in the last one I'd imagine they use it in the new one for more sentimental value and emotions from the audience.

cptstormsword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting. It's a popcorn movie and fun at that from what I've heard. Guess a lot of people became interested in a popcorn flick this weekend.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heard it was really entertaining.

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? Come on, that movie?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I guess people don't get tired of watching the same movies.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there will be a 9 and 10 movies.

Avatar image for lord_adamantium
Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

F. Gary Gray is a an awesome director.

All of the movies have been entertaining and the cast is diverse and full of A-list stars.

Makes sense that it would do so well as it appeals to a very broad demographic, the franchise is well made, has a large following, and the movies are fun to watch.

It is like a really good tv series that has a 2 hour episode a year or so.

No surprise here at all.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yay, I guess. I gave up on those movies after the 7th one, but really remember loosing interest as early as the 5th one. But I guess if people were psyched for it, great for them.

Surprised that it beat out SW though. Then again, Furious 7 beat out the Avengers and Jurassic World beat out Batman v Superman.

The 7th one is absolutely terrible, but since my family (DAE this crew is about family?) is going to see it tomorrow, who am I to resist a free movie? xD

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm dyeing a little from the inside every time I see a complete crap like Fast & furious getting huge B.O turnover.

I honestly can't fathom the appeal of this franchise but then again 10-year old me was equally swayed by stupid, nonsensical plots and cardboard characters as long as it was coated with enough blinky eye-candy, childish humor and adults acting like they're twelve.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

The franchise isn't for me but then neither is Star Wars.

I feel like I'm dyeing a little from the inside every time I see a complete crap like Fast & furious getting huge B.O turnover.

I honestly can't fathom the appeal of this franchise but then again 10-year old me was equally swayed by stupid, nonsensical plots and cardboard characters as long as it was coated with enough blinky eye-candy, childish humor and adults acting like they're twelve.

There's a large contingent of people who would describe superhero movies in a similar manner only they add "ridiculous costumes" to the mix.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By PeterParkerJr
Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean...congratulations to them,but really?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it.

My reaction as well. I heard this on the evening news yesterday and I was like "wait... what? really...??? you have to be freakin' kidding me..."

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok said:

I don't get it.

My reaction as well. I heard this on the evening news yesterday and I was like "wait... what? really...??? you have to be freakin' kidding me..."

i guess it appeals to kids and family? lol

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thoughts? Its not really that much of a surprise and is partly due to them aligning its opening all over the world on the same weekend. I doubt it goes much over $1.5b total though.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should rename it to bigger and dumber

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@thekillerklok said:

I don't get it.

Same here. I don't see the interest.

Avatar image for general_disarray
General_Disarray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Ataraxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ataraxy

The main reason it took the record is due to a synced release pretty much worldwide -- a massive $190m from China alone, nearly doubling the American box office.

Star Wars would've been streets ahead of this if it were released in the same fashion -- it was released later in China, I believe.

The fast franchise isn't really my thing, nevertheless it's mindless fun for many, so kudos to them.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@those_eyes: Final language warning. You know better. You just don't seem to care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Comicbook fans questioning why so many people like a brainless action blockbuster franchise.....

The cognitive dissonance is real.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FaF series is an american initial D with bigger cars and guns.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

Well I for one enjoyed the movie. Yes it's a dumb action blockbuster. But it's fun and entertaining to watch. The cast is pretty good too and I guess people enjoy it for what it is. It seems to appeal to wider audience and I'm glad it is doing so well.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ataraxy said:

The main reason it took the record is due to a synced release pretty much worldwide -- a massive $190m from China alone, nearly doubling the American box office.

Star Wars would've been streets ahead of this if it were released in the same fashion -- it was released later in China, I believe.

The fast franchise isn't really my thing, nevertheless it's mindless fun for many, so kudos to them.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Can't wait to tell my children about the time when the human race let Fast and Furious make over $500 Million on opening weekend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to get the point of FF films. You have to go in expecting something dumb that defies the laws of physics in almost every other scene. Something that is created for fun and knows it's stupid and doesn't take itself seriously.

If you go in to a theater expecting a serious drama and superb acting, of course you're going to be disappointed.

I have yet to see this one but I did enjoy the previous films for what they were. This one should be no different.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing is for certain; they will never stop making these movies. The Fast and the Furious has joined the ranks of James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, Batman, and Star Wars in a growing number of film franchises that will never end.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ataraxy said:

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Light1150

@sprior93 said:

Comicbook fans questioning why so many people like a brainless action blockbuster franchise.....

This.

majin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: This just so happens to be on a whole different level of stupidity though. These movies went from street racing to guys working government missions and they just so happen to be using fast cars. Comic Book Films at least have some form I guess? Can't really think of the right word.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sprior93 said:

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Fast Furious 8 didn't make anywhere near US domestic opening day of Star Wars 7, but made it up on the foreign market. I think Chinese people just love Vin Diesel. XXX 3 made $44 million domestically and $300 overseas. I think half of that came from Asian markets. Fate of the Furious made just under $100 million (very respectable) but $433 million abroad thanks to opening simultaneously across 60 markets. It's hard to open everywhere at once which is why this doesn't happen too often.

You have to remember, as well, movies with simple plots, archetype characters and showy effects make for good exports since they are easy for non-English viewers to follow along.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose black_wreath and sprior93 have a point, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever seen a single one of those movies--and I really don't have a desire to, as cars don't appeal to me. That said, these sort of records don't impress me--big box office movie sets record for another big box office to break later in the year. Okay.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Records are menat to be broken. There are much better movies that don't earn in the box office...