Have You Ever Bought a Comic Just for the Variant Cover?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Edited By Mercy_

There are some new evolutions variant covers coming out (xerox-kitty talks about them in her topic What Do you Think... About the 'X-Men Evolutions' Variant Covers?) and a few of them really caught my eye, specifically the Kitty and Emma ones. So, I checked out which comics they were the variants to and it turns out that the Emma one is for Hulk #33..a comic that I have no intention of reading. I'll pick up that issue anyways, simply for the variant cover, because I'm a HUGE Emma Frost fan. 
So my question is this, will you buy a comic that you don't read simply for the variant cover?

SO worth it
 SO worth it
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

Actually....now that I look through them all...I may pick up Avengers for the Jean variant, as well. 

The Gray Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By The Gray Fox

I would only do it in the event that the variant features one of my favorite characters on the cover, otherwise no deal.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Not really.  Sometimes I've managed to grab a variant instead of the regular edition, but I wouldn't  buy a random issue of a different series for the variant.

Thing is, you have a pretty piece of art, but the instant it's turned into a cover you lose half the beauty under a sea of logos, titles and barcodes.  I've got to the point where I don't need the cover... I can have the clean unspoilt version on the computer ;)
Miss Menace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Miss Menace

Depends, if the art is better ^_^

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

Have I bought a variant cover? Yes.
Did I buy a regular and a variant? No.

If I buy a comic, I buy it for the story not for the art. But If I see a comic with multiple covers I choose the cover that appeals most to me.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By A_O_N
@xerox-kitty:  This. I've bought a variant for some comics but not for something I wasn't even going to read.
@Caligula: Also this, but I accidentally ended up with two Green Lantern #50.
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I used to.  For my part I bought the regular and variant covers for all titles of Final Crisis.  The only other time that I really tried to get variant covers for comics was during the Loeb/McGuinness run on Red Hulk...and I had to give that up after covers were taxing my wallet month after month.  Now I just usually go for the regular covers unless something really stands out to me.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By EdwardWindsor

if i have the chocie between the varient and the regular i buy the varient but usually i just get whatever.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By PowerHerc

I used to be susceptible to the 'variant cover' marketing ploy about 15 to 18 years ago, but not now.  It's a scam.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Caligula
@PowerHerc said:
" I used to be susceptible to the 'variant cover' marketing ploy about 15 to 18 years ago, but not now.  It's a scam. "
how is art a scam?

you either like and are willing to pay for it or you are not. no one is swindling you. it's not like the "variant" is the only available version
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerHerc
@Caligula said:
"

@PowerHerc said:
"

I used to be susceptible to the 'variant cover' marketing ploy about 15 to 18 years ago, but not now.  It's a scam.

"
how is art a scam?you either like and are willing to pay for it or you are not. no one is swindling you. it's not like the "variant" is the only available version

"

The art is not a scam.  If you are interested in the art for it's beauty and collectibiltiy there are often ways to seek and obtain original art and prints.  Nothing wrong with that.

I know the 'variant' cover' editions aren't the only ones available.  That's made obvious by the 'variant' denotation.  Buying the regular edition is just fine. 

Paying a higher price for the same story with a different cover because of the artificial rarity/demand is the scam.  Still, if it's worth it to you, buy it.  That's your choice.  I choose not to. 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
@PowerHerc said:
" @Caligula said:
"

@PowerHerc said:
"

"
how is art a scam?you either like and are willing to pay for it or you are not. no one is swindling you. it's not like the "variant" is the only available version

"

The art is not a scam.  If you are interested in the art for it's beauty and collectibiltiy there are often ways to seek and obtain original art and prints.  Nothing wrong with that.

I know the 'variant' cover' editions aren't the only ones available.  That's made obvious by the 'variant' denotation.  Buying the regular edition is just fine. 

Paying a higher price for the same story with a different cover because of the artificial rarity/demand is the scam.  Still, if it's worth it to you, buy it.  That's your choice.  I choose not to. 

"
No I understand what you are saying. You are saying that you don't believe in paying a higher price for just a different cover. but I'm saying that it's not a scam. I'm in the same boat as you, art is worth different prices to different people. but it's not a scam, they aren't taking your money for nothing or something worthless. if you paid that price for it you obviously saw it worth that price, otherwise why spend that much on it?

you see what I'm trying to say here?
scottsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scottsummers
@The Dark Huntress: Nice cover! It reminds me of a dream I had. Emma Frosts were EVERYWHERE! Then my stupid alarm clock woke me up just when it was getting good.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerHerc
@Caligula said:
"

@PowerHerc said:
"

@Caligula said:
"

@PowerHerc said:
"

"

"

"
No I understand what you are saying. You are saying that you don't believe in paying a higher price for just a different cover. but I'm saying that it's not a scam. I'm in the same boat as you, art is worth different prices to different people. but it's not a scam, they aren't taking your money for nothing or something worthless. if you paid that price for it you obviously saw it worth that price, otherwise why spend that much on it?you see what I'm trying to say here?

"

Yeah, I get your meaning.  It's worth it to you and, obviously, to many others.

It's not worth it to me.  To me; it's a scam.  Our opinions difffer. There's nothing wrong with that.  Do you see what I mean?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caligula
@PowerHerc: yeah I already said I did.

but you are still calling it a scam. and a scam is when you are being cheated. they aren't cheating you because they aren't making you pay for something you don't want. they still give you a regularly priced comic, that is complete and in no way lacking.

and as a note, many of the variant covers, I will not pay for because i don't like the art enough to pay extra. but every once in a while I will, if I think it's worth the extra money.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PowerHerc
@Caligula:
That's cool.  :)
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Caligula@PowerHerc I think how it ends up being a 'scam' and how some people can see it that way is that the variant costs the same as the main cover, but then the retailer marks it to $10 to $20. They do this because they have to buy x amount of issues just to get one variant, and chances are they will never sell that quantity of issues, so they jack up the price. So the price tag does justify the art, but not necessarily the actual value. I can see both points.

I have paid for certain variants, but usually I don't. Too much money usually. It would have to be a damn awesome cover for me to buy a comic i wouldnt read. Similarly to the topic, I have been known to buy a book I know nothing about because of the cover art.
azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azza04

Yep i bought the special edition of Supreme Power just for the variant cover and additional art work by Gary Frank.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

In the format you are talking about (cover has nothing to do with the issue it's attached to) no, I wouldn't waste my money.  Nowadays, If I like the cover art I just download it. I have bought variant covers for issues because they were what I collected.  This came out with a foil cover as well, I picked that up.

To expand, if a title I collect, lets say Daredevil, has, oh say Captain America on it because it's his anniversary but he has nothing to do with the issue, I will pass it by for the regular cover.  If it's my only choice I'll buy it for DD not the cover but I won't be happy about it.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By sora_thekey

Yes
Yes
Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Baddamdog

I just admire them over the inter-web :)

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By Dracade102

Yes.

Knightfall #19.
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Martian

yes, i have before in the past.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By NexusOfLight

If I want a picture, I'll download it. If I want a comic, I'll buy it.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

No, I can find the virgin art online.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

No but for the upcoming kitty pryde varient I am going to

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Gambit1024

I only buy them when a) they look cool and/or b) my comic store doesn't make you pay extra for it. That's what stopped me from getting the Fear Itself variant last week. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

I could always just get it tattooed on my chest, the cover i like, instead of buy comics I hate. That way when I work out, I can see the cover on my chest, in the mirror. Um, yea... 

Actually I sorta like all comics, so I am not sure I have seen a variant for a book I didn't want to read? Hypothetically though no... since I would just print a bigger version. Or hopefully be made as a poster, that I can plan to buy when I am 30 or something. 
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Never, I only spend money on Comics I intend to read ;)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I got a bunch of variants on special once.

War of Kings 1-6
Battle for the Cowl 1-3
Adventure Comics 1-2

I had read all the issues beforehand, and I owned the trade for two of the series, but still... VARIANTS :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I only buy variant if it's a series I am reading.

THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

I've bought many comics just for the cover, this includes many variants as well.  Since the X-Men are my favorite, most of my variants are from X-books.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By B'Town

Yep, I bought a few Anna Mercury and Ignition City Variants that I certainly didn't need cause I had darn well already read an collected the books, but then of course later these gorgeous variants come out and when it is a gorgeous hero I love, I simply can't help myself.  There are also, a few bloody X-Force variants I HAD to have cause it was my favorite book at that time and those covers rocked.  So, yeah, I've been sucked in, but in each of these cases I do not mind being a sucker.

To answer your more specific question, yes on a couple of occasions I have picked up a couple of Avenger and Spider-Man variants that I was not currently reading just for the cover and am happy I did.  

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

When those Iron Man ones came out last year i have to admit i was rather taken with them, the Moon Knight one in particular.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#35  Edited By MatKrenz

I onlly get variant's if a) the comic with the original cover is sold out or b) if it's a variant of a comic I am reading.

Exemples of a I had were with Secret Avengers #2 and a Brightest Day issue.For b I might get the Beast variant wich doesn't bother me to get since it's going to be on a future issue of Secret Avengers wich is a series I get.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@The Dark Huntress said:
" Actually....now that I look through them all...I may pick up Avengers for the Jean variant, as well.  "
Traitor >_>
golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By golvellius

and my answer is Hell no!!!  I allready spend too much money on comics to go buying comics just for a cover.  I will totally thank everyone who post such covers so I can totally see 'm for free!!  hehehehe  so thanks huntress for the Emma cover....I am a huge Emma fan too but I wont spend hard earned cash for just a cover.....
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By B'Town

I wanted to add, a long the lines of buying a variant just for the cover; I see how many here think it a waste of cash, I don't see it that way at all.  

Art is ART.   And if there is a particular piece that happens to be a gorgeous Variant cover, I'll buy it.  Keep in mind though, if I like something that much, I will NOT bag it, board it and stuff it in a box.  

The majority of my favorite books and variants are beautifully displayed in a glass cased cabinet.  I get to see them and admire them every day and THAT makes me happy.  The enjoyment I get is very much worth the few dollars I spend.
Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Battle for the Cowl and some others I have. I plan on picking up the Shadowcat one just because of the artwork and the Ultimate Spider-man #160 cover by Quesada.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By InnerVenom123

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points