HasThor been FTL in combat speed?

Emanresu-ehT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Emanresu-ehT

Many people consider that he has or had FTL combat speed.

If he had, he certainly doesn't have them now, and while I might be wrong, I doubt he ever had.

I think that most of the reasons why people believe Thor is FTL in combat is because wrong conceptions and missunderstandments.

As far as I know his FTL feats doesn't really requires him having FTL reactions.

The speed of Mjolnir is inherent to the Hammer, not to Thor.

Having the Hammer automatically increases his potential movement speed, but it doesn't automatically increases his reaction speed.

There is a link between Thor and the hammer, and because of that, the Hammer follows Thor's mind commands, but then if somebody can move in a fast, agile and hardly predictable way, he might be able to speed blitz Thor or overwhelm him with quick agile movements.

So, Thor has to use Mjolnir inside of the limits of his own capacities.

-----------For example:

No Caption Provided

Thor travels FTL throught space, and so he is FTL, therefore he speedblitz non FTL people in fight.

That is a flawless logic.

Traveling FTL through space doesn't really requires him having FTL reactions, thoughts or senses, but those are required to properly use FTL speed in combat.

The problem are wrong assumptions:

For example:

If he doesn't have FTL reactions he will be crashing all the time with planets, stars, meteors, etc...

Wrong!

First of all, the distance in space is greater, and ignoring certain physical laws for several instances, like relativity, which comics and other fictional universes do several times, then we get that they would have more time to react according to the distances.

For example, if you are traveling from the Sun at the speed of light, and you knew or could see the Earth from far away in front of you, (ignoring relativity) you would have 8 minutes to avoid crashing against the Earth. (Slow your speed if you are going to land there or change direction if you are going somewhere else, etc...)

Lets say that Thor tried to ram into a villain at FTL speed, unless the villain can move at a similar speed, he won't be able to dodge it once the movement has already started, but if he gets out of the way, before Thor starts moving, then he will ram into nothing and leap several kilometers, and he will have to comeback, look the villain and do the process again, and if he fails again, he will be loosing time, and that is without taking the possibility of ramming into a building, destroying it and killing thousands of inocent people and this would render his lightspeed useless for some battles.

If he uses FTL speed in the wide outer space, he might not crash, because he has more time and distance to react, if he does it in a city full of buildings he might crash because he wouldn't be able to stop or change direction in time.

Jet fighters fight at supersonic speed in the air kilometers over the floor, that doesn't means they can fly at those speeds inside of a big city full of skyscrappers without crashing into one of them, nor that means that when they are walking around a street they can dodge bullets.

Reactions and actions depends on time, which also imply distance.

Second, when he and many others travel much faster they use "hyperspace", a dimension with different physical laws and constants that allows them to travel much faster than the speed of light of the normal space dimension. And given the powers of Mjolnir him been able to travel FTL with the use of other methods like wormholes or creating an alcubierre bubble wouldn't be outside of his possibilities.

And finally, spaceships also travel through spaces, and spaceships doesn't have FTL reactions or combat speed, the spaceships don't go dodging hundreds of planets or asteroids.

Now you might think that most spaceships use hyperspace, dial space or wormholes to travel FTL, but some actually do the physical travel in the normal space-time dimension. Examples: Destiny from stargate univese and saiyans pods.

Saying that he has FTL speed in combat because he travels faster than light in outer space, is like saying that I have FTL speed in combat because of traveling at FTL speeds in a spaceship, now we replace the spaceship for the Hammer, and it in that sense, it isn't so different.

If the writters and illustrators didn't meant them to have obstacles (planets, stars, asteroids, etc..) in their fictions then we shouldn't add imaginary ones to obstruct their path and claim that they have FTL reactions because of having to dodge them.

So we shouldn't really think of a Character of having FTL combat speed just because of traveling at FTL speed in outer space.

----

No Caption Provided

Thor swings his hammer at FTL speed.

Wrong assumptions:

Thor can move his limbs at FTL speed, so he should be able to punch at FTL speed.

Thor should be able to hit hundreds of times per second.

First of all, as I explained, that is the speed of Mjolnir, not of Thor.

As there is some sort of mind link between Thor and the Hammer, Thor can order Mjolnir to move at that speed.

Second, Thor been able to hit hundreds of times per second is another misconception, it is confusing the speed of the swing with the rate.

It is like saying that a sniper gun should be able to fire hundreds of bullets per second because each individual bullet move faster than each individual bullet of an automatic gun.

The automatic gun has faster fire-rate speed, but each bullet travels slower than that of a sniper gun.

The sniper gun has slower fire rate, but each bullet is faster than those of an automatic gun.

Fire rate =/= Bullets' speed.

That he is capable of making a ligthspeed+ swing, doesn't means he can make hundreds or thousands in a short time spam, he aims, he orders the Hammer to go lightspeed (involves a mental process), the swing happens, and if he fails the process happens again.

And that been said, Thor doesn't requires FTL reaction speed to swing his Hammer at FTL speeds, and if somebody can move before Thor gives the order and so before the Hammer executes the action, then that person should be able to dodge and speed blitz Thor or overwelm him.

No Caption Provided

This picture is known by many as PIS, but it illustrates the concept. While, there are many ways for Thor to win like an omnidirectional lightning strike, and while many would agree that Thor is holding back to not kill or badly injure Wolverine, if he had FTL reactions, combat speed and senses, he should be able to fly and appear right behind Wolverine and then KO him without much troubles and without hurting him much.

--------------

No Caption Provided

Thor can make the Mjolnir to fly FTL in circles and twirl his hammer at FTL speed.

As there is a link between the Hammer and Thor's mind, Thor should be able to order the Hammer to move in an specific simple pattern (circles) and in an specific speed (light speed), but then again, it has the same proble than the swing.

And also, if he can make the Hammer to follow a pattern and specific speed, then he might be able to order the Hammer to go from a point (A) to a point (B) at an specific speed, or even make it go from a set of points (A, B, C, D, etc...), and make the Hammer follow a curve, a straight line or a set of curves and straight lines predetermined by his mind to avoid obstacles until it hits the intended target.

He doesn't need FTL reactions for that.

-------------

No Caption Provided

Thor throws and catch FTL Mjolnir, so he has FTL reactions.

Mjolnir isn't a "boomerang", it follows Thor mental orders, therefore he doesn't have to "catch" his Hammer, he just needs to order it to comeback to his hand to get it back. So he doesn't need FTL reaction to get it back.

--------

Thor makes his Hammer hit a target at FTL speed.

I can aim a gun and pull the triger, the bullet is supersonic, I'm not and I don't need supersonic reactions for that.

Thor can aim a target in his mind and order Mjolnir to hit it. The feat doesn't automatically grants him FTL reactions.

-------------

Thor hit somebody who is massively FTL.

There is the possibility that the FTL feats of that other character follow similar logics, and that because of that people consider him FTL.

There is the possibility that the other FTL character wasn't moving FTL at that moment.

Thinking that a character is moving FTL all the time is like thinking that Ussain Bolt is moving at 45km/h all the time.

Example: Superman almost never uses his super speed for combat. (CIS)

And also, Deathstroke has consistently manage to hit Flash, and that doesn't means Deathstroke is FTL in any sense. (PIS)

---------------

And with all of this been said, even if he were FTL in combat, he might not be now.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

There says that Thor can fly at mach 32.

I think it probably talks about his speed on Earht, but he might be able to reach higher speeds in outer space, and mftl in hyperspace.

And about his reaction speed, I think he is consistenly at the same niche as Captain America, Wolverine, Spiderman and Hulk.

I don't know much about Thor

Was he ever FTL in combat?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL. NO.

Emanresu-ehT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Emanresu-ehT

@tomofukuoka:

Thanks for the reply.

Lol, Tom said Thor might be killed wih a gunfire? LOL!!! He is too durable for that

Well, I guess, if they shoot him as Donald Blake he might die.

-----

I agree with what you said about his speed.

---------

Microseconds is actually impressive, in one microsecond the light moves about 300 meters.

Emanresu-ehT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emanresu-ehT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, to those who have read my post.

Do you think the same kind of logics that I used can apply to other characters?

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentofChaos1

Slowdinson

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he doesn't.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea when he bullrushes

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not light speed in reaction time but he's certainly not below Wolverine like everyone thinks.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yawn . . . all this PIS, WIS, and CIS crap. Man, it's Comics anything is possible because these characters aren't real. Writers job is to write the story not pander to the battle forum nonsense.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He hasn't shown it from what I know, but he is quick for a guy (660 lbs) like we see here:

No Caption Provided

Dodging 3 meteor rocks, lol

Marishtar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He hasn't shown it from what I know, but he is quick for a guy (660 lbs) like we see here:

No Caption Provided

Dodging 3 meteor rocks, lol

XD

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for homelandersweak
Homelandersweak

Forum Posts