Has the perception changed on Attack on Titan?

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was a big fan when it first came out and I feel like in the beginning it was EXTREMELY popular a few years ago but now I feel like I see a lot more people crapping on it lately. Why is that? Do they just feel like the story went bad? I’ll admit my excitement has dipped as well. But I think that’s because I’m an anime only person for the most part and Attack on Titan doesn’t have filler so there is a lot of wait time in between seasons.

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streetlevel jobberfest.

There's your answer.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally lately I've only ever seen people praising the hell out of the manga

im_late

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quit after two episodes.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Season 3 Episode Hero is literally one of the only episodes (live action or otherwise) ever to get a full 10/10 on imdb

If anything, it’s gotten more actual praise in recent times

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attack on Titan has been losing it's fans since a few years ago, and there are multiple reasons why it's becoming less and less popular.

First, the anime stopped coming out for 4 years after season 1 ended, and it only has 12 episodes instead of 25. Also, season 2 isn't as good as season 1 in terms of animation quality and scripting. I honestly surprised that season 2 still gets really good rating when it came out because i was very disappointed after watching it.

Second, the manga it self isn't doing much better exactly. Isayama really isn't that good of a writer, and his fans are praising him to the heaven for some reason. There are a lot of things that don't really make sense in the story, and the characters development is also bad at least for a long time. The plot is also unnecessarily convoluted and has many weird stuff to confuse the reader, not to mention some useless plot line.

For example, It took years for the characters to get to a basement so they can unravel the mystery of the titans, and before the journey to the basement, the story suddenly turned into a political drama. After they reach the basement it gets even weirder, This manga was originally about a war of humanity against the titans, but a few moments later we knew that humans can turn into titans, fine i'll take that. Then halfway through the series the titans suddenly became irrelevant and now it's about humans fighting other humans. Then later in the series pretty much every important characters can turn into titans, and now the story is about people on an island vs people in the rest of the world, and apparently there's also guns and aircrafts and superpowers in this originally semi realistic medieval setting. My point is that you shouldn't keep changing the topic of your story, otherwise it will become something else, and a lot of people will dislike it.

There is also many problems within the series, like killing characters just for shock value, and characters doing stupid things they shouldn't do, and make certain characters more powerful than everyone else for fan service. And previously mentioned bad character development and unnecessarily convoluted plot, it's hard to even remember what has happened in the story and they probably don't matter in the future.

The political plots in the manga are really boring and mostly pointless, i don't think Isayama had actually thought this through before he started writing this part. A lot of stuff isn't really necessary to the story, it also feels like he's inserting his own political opinion into his story but it's poorly written and doesn't interest most people.

A lot of characters don't get proper development before they got killed off, which is lame because they do this very often to make you feel bad for the characters despite they have very little development. Most characters are bland and one dimensional, Survey Corps are the cool guys who does the work, The Garrison are useless fodders, The Military Police are a bunch of lazy jerks. It's even simpler than the houses in Harry Potter, i really wonder why nobody says anything about this.

So basically this series has many bland and unimportant characters, over complicated story and unnecessary plots, constantly changing the theme of the story, killing characters for shock value, of course some people ended up dropping it.

I also feel the story isn't very original, people have joked about how Attack on Titan is basically Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead blend together before. I feel like it was also inspired by Halo or Gears of War because how many similarities it has with these two games, and Game of Thrones is definitely one of the source of ideas. If you're a fan of these series i think you'll get what i mean.

Honestly, AoT is extremely overrated and it's mainly because the fanbase is really toxic and gets super defensive when someone criticize it. If you criticize AoT on Reddit or Youtube you will get a lot of angry comments and tons of downvotes and dislikes, that's why it's hard to find any criticism about AoT. All these fanboys do is praise the series and occasionally talk about how much better AoT is compare to everything else, it's one of the worst fanbase i have ever seen.

Anyway this is my rant about AoT, if you think the series doesn't interest you anymore you should probably just drop it like others do and find something else to watch i guess.

Daruma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daruma

The anime hype died off because it took long for season 2, the hardcore fanbase is going strong though because the manga is top tier.

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a8612152: thanks for writing this. Yeah I remember the hype when it first came out. then it took forever for a new season. and then it took forever for season 3. I can’t lie I started to get really confused as the story continued

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I think the huge gap between seasons 1 and 2 didn't really help much. A lot of people either forgot about it or just moved on to other things.

But quality wise, the show at least is at its best imo.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a8612152:

“ like killing characters just for shock value”

Out of curiosity’s sake, what’re you referring to with this? If anything a problem for a while was that not many important characters were dying