HAPPY BATMAN DAY- Favorite Batman Character

• 59 results
infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll HAPPY BATMAN DAY- Favorite Batman Character (32 votes)

Bruce Wayne/Batman 50%
Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing 6%
Jason Todd/Robin/Red Hood 9%
Tim Drake/Robin/Red Robin 0%
Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle 0%
Cassandra Cain/Batgirl 3%
Stephanie Brown/Spoiler 0%
Damian Wayne/Robin 3%
Commissioner Gordon 0%
Alfred Pennyworth 0%
The Joker 0%
Catwoman 6%
Bane 3%
Two Face 0%
The Riddler 3%
Scarecrow 3%
Mr. Freeze 0%
Poison Ivy 0%
Harley Quinn 0%
Clayface 0%
Deathstroke 0%
Deadshot 0%
Ra's al Ghul 0%
Talia al Ghul 0%
Hugo Strange 0%
Mad Hatter 0%
Hush 0%
Black Mask 3%
Man Bat 3%
Other 6%

Happy Batman Day, everyone!

What is your favorite Batman character? And then choose your favorite writer, artist, and story of that character.

• 
Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

Favourite Batman character: Batman

Favourite Batman writer: Alan Grant

Favourite Batman artist: Either Jim Lee or Norm Breyfogle

Favourite Batman story: Batman: Venom

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zaied  Online

Favorite Batman character: Terry McGinnis

Favorite writer for Terry: Adam Beechen

Favorite artist for Terry: Norm Breyfogle

Favorite story for Terry: Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, or if it has to be a non-animated story, Batman Beyond: 10,000 Clowns

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like Batman but Cassandra Cain is Okay. I like her Batgirl Costume a lot.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Life_Without_Progress  Online

Favorite Batman character: Batman

Favorite Batman writer: Grant Morrison (To the surprise of no one who talks to me in this site)

Favorite Batman artist: Jock

Favorite Batman story: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 krisbishop  Moderator

Favorite Batman character: Batman (obviously, but in 2nd place would be Nightwing or Scarecrow)

Favorite Batman writer: Frank Miller or Scott Snyder

Favorite Batman artist: Jim Lee or Neal Adams

Favorite Batman story: Impossible to pick, tbh.

Watcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Nice topic.

Favorite character -> Batman
Favorite writer -> Hmm, hard question. Frank Miller
Favorite artist -> Another hard question. Tony Daniel, David Mazzucchelli, Greg Capullo, Bruce Timm, Jim Lee etc.
Favorite story -> TDKR and Year One

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like Batman but Cassandra Cain is Okay. I like her Batgirl Costume a lot.

Did you enjoy the mystery of her identity in No Man's Land?

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite Batman character: Batman (obviously, but in 2nd place would be Nightwing or Scarecrow)

Favorite Batman writer: Frank Miller or Scott Snyder

Favorite Batman artist: Jim Lee or Neal Adams

Favorite Batman story: Impossible to pick, tbh.

That's great you care so much for it to be such a difficult choice.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostodoofus2: You like Alan Grant's Batman? haha

Was surprised to see Venom!

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied said:

Favorite Batman character: Terry McGinnis

Favorite writer for Terry: Adam Beechen

Favorite artist for Terry: Norm Breyfogle

Favorite story for Terry: Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, or if it has to be a non-animated story, Batman Beyond: 10,000 Clowns

Aw man...I forgot about Terry. Glad you didn't. Thanks!

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite Batman character: Batman

Favorite Batman writer: Grant Morrison (To the surprise of no one who talks to me in this site)

Favorite Batman artist: Jock

Favorite Batman story: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Nice Avatar change.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@watcer said:

Nice topic.

Favorite artist -> Another hard question. Tony Daniel, David Mazzucchelli, Greg Capullo, Bruce Timm, Jim Lee etc.

Tony Daniel is a neat pick. What art made you think of him?

Watcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@watcer said:

Nice topic.

Tony Daniel is a neat pick. What art made you think of him?

No Caption Provided

Thanks. Batman R.I.P.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Harley Quinn.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Mad Hatter, I think he's quite underrated.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: Oh yeah, reading the Batman comics by Grant and Breyfogle made me love the character more.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd by a mile, he's honestly just been one of my favorite characters as of late, and It's kinda sad seeing DC not give him proper justice with their story telling.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@watcer: Thanks. That's what my mind went to! He was one of my favorites.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley Quinn.

She's one of the greatest superhero characters from the getgo.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steve40l said:

Jason Todd by a mile, he's honestly just been one of my favorite characters as of late, and It's kinda sad seeing DC not give him proper justice with their story telling.

You know what they say about people who assume, but I thought it was safe to assume he was your favorite.

Thanks for stopping by.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FalsePromise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite character: Damian Wayne

Favorite story: Lazarus island tournament

Favorite artist / writer: Whoever wrote and drew the Infinite Frontier Robin comic. Can't remember their names

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Character: Batman

Writer: Morrison & Snyder…leaning towards Morrison

Artist: Jim Lee

Story: Time and the Batman, Killing Joke, Hush, Zero Year, TDKR , Year one (too hard to pick just one for me)

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falsepromise: Oh wow, Damian. Did you ever read Son of the Demon by Mike W Barr with the original Damian story?

FalsePromise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: was that the part where Talia said she miscarried? If it is then I only read the summary and not the whole thing

Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker or Bruce possesses the most high end storytelling quality. This is in large part due to DC assigning them the best writers, them having the longest history and highest number of stories, the themes existing to be embodied by both of them etc etc.

As regards my own personal preference though, Nygma and Bruce would probably tie for first. Closely followed by Joker, Grayson and Slade.

Now, concerning who the best Batman writer is, Loeb likely has the highest number of my favourite Batman comics ("Hush", Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" all rank in my top 10). All of his stuff is topped by some individual works from other writers though (McCarthy's "Riddle Me That", DeMatteis' "Going Sane", Moore's "The Killing Joke", Miller's "Year One", and, chiefly, Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader", which is the indisputable GOAT).

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falsepromise: I think so. I looked it because I didn't remember but it was one of my favorite stories when I was younger.

It's a story where Batman kills to save Ra's al Ghul's life in self-defense, and it's not made out to be some overdramatic big deal. If I remember the story correctly, that's how I prefer Batman to be. He should kill in self-defence. Not murder though.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker or Bruce possesses the most high end storytelling quality. This is in large part due to DC assigning them the best writers, them having the longest history and highest number of stories, the themes existing to be embodied by both of them etc etc.

As regards my own personal preference though, Nygma and Bruce would probably tie for first. Closely followed by Joker, Grayson and Slade.

Now, concerning who the best Batman writer is, Loeb likely has the highest number of my favourite Batman comics ("Hush", Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory" all rank in my top 10). All of his stuff is topped by some individual works from other writers though (McCarthy's "Riddle Me That", DeMatteis' "Going Sane", Moore's "The Killing Joke", Miller's "Year One", and, chiefly, Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader", which is the indisputable GOAT).

Woah. Interesting to see DeMatteis' "Going Sane".

I think he said that was his favorite/or best superhero work compared to the fan-favorite "Kraven's Last Hunt".

If I remember it correctly, that might be my favorite take on Joker's psychology.

Neat seeing Riddler up there. Now I want to read McCarthy's "Riddle Me That".

Peak Riddler was Batman the Animated Series from what I've seen/read, and I thought he was a better character than the Joker in that series.

Thotheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Batman , wish my belt had a spot for Shark Repellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: Going Sane is the best Batman/Joker story yeah. It's a really solid deconstruction of their mutual dependency on each other for purpose/identity, and how in the other's absence they can actually find real happiness. Joker's reform in the comic is so captivating because it's genuine; if Bruce hadn't returned he would have, for the first time in his life, lived a proper existence rather than a superficial and shallow one. Similarly, if Bruce had given up the cape and cowel following his recovery, he too would have been freed from suffering. But in the end their obsession with their opposite gets the better of them, and they're reduced to the same state they began in. It ends with a return to the status quo, and yet that feels entirely natural as a conclusion to the story. It's very tragic in its presentation because there's a sense of inevitability to the resolution; at no point in the story are you ever under the delusion that one of them will break the toxic cycle of violence and mistrust (Bruce assumes Joker won't stop and therefore returns, as opposed to simply remaining away), because, at the end of the day, neither underwent real internal growth; both were merely parted from one another by externality and necessity. Joker's reform might be genuine, but it's also highly conditional. He's ultimately incapable of real introspection and reflection. Bruce too, is unable to grapple with the idea that he might be the cause of Joker's madness, and presupposes a reign of terror and chaos in his absence that does not ultimately come to pass. "The Killing Joke" might be the most famous Batman/Joker comic, but it's not the best imo.

"Riddle Me That" is a really good reinvention of the character and his dynamic with Bruce. Batman himself gets little in the way of direct exploration (he's ultimately not the focal point of the narrative), but he's suitably well characterised (capable, driven, and even a little arrogant), and you get a sense of his newfound tension and disgust at Nygma's alteration. Chiefly though, it allows Riddler to actually grow, shifting him away from the static character he's been for most of his history (he becomes a sharper, more subtle, more dangerous version of himself, yet still holds the trademark egomania). Ultimately it asks the question of what Nygma would be like if he didn't have to prove how smart he was, but rested secure in that knowledge. It's a really fascinating comic, and it's a shame that McCarthy's Riddler was a one off rather than a sustained presence in DC continuity (he was immediately forgotten about, barring one other appearance in a Green Arrow comic), since he's easily one of the best iterations out there (definitely the best within the comic books themselves).

TAS' Nygma is solid. Suave, intelligent, creative, arrogant, and, ultimately, overcome by compulsion. "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?" and "Ridder's Reform" (especially the latter) rank among my top 10 episodes of the series. My favourite iterations are probably the Arkham Games and "The Batman" though. The former captures all of the elements most important to the character (a smug sense of superiority, an unhinged charm, intelligence and creativity etc etc), with touches of Saw esque traits and death traps to add a uniquely dark twist. Moreover, watching his psychology slowly deteriorate across the course of the games is very satisfying narratively.

The latter is everything I could have wanted for a live action appearance of the character. It's probably the first time in the character's history that he's been so perfectly cast as both a mirror and in juxtaposition to Bruce from a thematic perspective (this is on top of him acting as a nice social commentary on the dangers of conspiracy theorists festering enigmatically on the fringes of society and the internet). Reeves' writing absolutely nailed the nerdy enthusiasm and unhinged egomania so emblematic of the character's psychology, and yet maintained a sense that Riddler is nonetheless very intelligent (his plans are extremely sophisticated, and he's actually kind of brilliant in terms of the deductions he makes and the puzzles he sets up). The film also makes him dark, but not in a way that feels incompatible with the way the character ought to be portrayed, nor does it do so solely for the purpose of being edgy. He exudes an air of creepiness which Dano nails, and the choice to model him after a real life killer like the Zodiac was inspired. I was really sceptical when I saw the approach they were taking, but I've watched the film twice (once in the cinema and once on DVD) and Matt really did do him justice.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By infinitehope

@nevesytneves: Oh AWESOME! I just saw your post and I saw the multiple paragraphs and I'm excited to read it because, I love your posts, man!

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to go to the man himself

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevesytneves: Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. You rock man!

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Character: Batman

Writer: Morrison & Snyder…leaning towards Morrison

Artist: Jim Lee

Story: Time and the Batman, Killing Joke, Hush, Zero Year, TDKR , Year one (too hard to pick just one for me)

Interesting choices for writers. What was the peak of their runs for you?

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry

Red Hood>>> Bruce Wayne any day for me

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ANTHP2000  Online

Hush would be my favourite, with some of the greatest Bruce/Selina panels ever created. Jim Lee will always be the best artist, almost for every Batman character. I don't think I have a writer I'm particularly fond of. That said, regardless of everything, I want to give a shoutout to Batman: The Animated Series, for (re)defining entire parts of the mythos and characters in ways no outside story has ever done to comic books.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry

Red Hood>>> Bruce Wayne any day for me

If you wrote:

Sorry

Red Hood > Bruce Wayne any day for me

I might have thought your apology was sincere but since you wrote 3>>> I'm starting to think you weren't...

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush would be my favourite, with some of the greatest Bruce/Selina panels ever created. Jim Lee will always be the best artist, almost for every Batman character. I don't think I have a writer I'm particularly fond of. That said, regardless of everything, I want to give a shoutout to Batman: The Animated Series, for (re)defining entire parts of the mythos and characters in ways no outside story has ever done to comic books.

There's Batman the Animated Series comics from the 1990s if you haven't checked them out.

They're called Batman Adventures.

One of my favorite Batman runs!

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to go to the man himself

Thanks for coming, man!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAZAHS117

@infinitehope: for me personally, it’s the early New52 material for Snyder for sure..and for Morrison it’s probably from Batman & Son through about Time and The Batman. The more I think about it tho most of my favorite DC comics stuff happens from the late 90’s through about the mid-to-late 00’s

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ANTHP2000  Online

@infinitehope: I have. They're excellent! Especially if you're a fan of the art style, which I am. There's something timeless about the more cartoonish but iconic versions of the characters.

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: no it’s legit.

But I don’t really like Batman-

*gets hit with coke can*

Ok just here me out, he’s cool I guess. And there are some really good story lines, my favorite either being Under The Red Hood, Court of Owls, or Killing joke. But Bruce for me is just….idk not my thing. His villains are much more interesting, and his sidekicks all have better personality’s and are much easier to relate to.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: I have. They're excellent! Especially if you're a fan of the art style, which I am. There's something timeless about the more cartoonish but iconic versions of the characters.

Oh nice!

Agreed. Especially since Batman the Animated Series universe had a sorta 1940s trapped in time with fantasy and science fiction elements that weren't referencing our real world allowing for immersion.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: for me personally, it’s the early New52 material for Snyder for sure..and for Morrison it’s probably from Batman & Son through about Time and The Batman. The more I think about it tho most of my favorite DC comics stuff happens from the late 90’s through about the mid-to-late 00’s

Thanks.

You think that's when DC real came together as more of a cohesive universe with consistent characterizations and story moving forward?

CJ_the_DJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favourite Character: Bruce.

Favourite Writer: Probably Dini, but I don't know for certain. The Arkham games (though, ironically, City and Asylum are my least favourites of the 4, despite being the 2 written by Dini) and TAS are really what got me into Batman as a kid, so there's definitely some nostalgic bias there.

Favourite Artist: Jim Lee.

Favourite Story: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

Zero_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cj_the_dj:

Favourite Character: Bruce.

you dern Right!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinitehope: I’ve always feel that era was like the perfect mixture of modern writing with a classic post-crisis DC flair to it, mainly off the back of Geoff Johns probably. By the time the New52 hit by decades end, things got really edgy and dark post Flashpoint. They tried to recapture that post-crisis goodness for Rebirth, but …eh.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117: Geoff Johns is who came to mind with your reply. He helped make DC cool.

IDragonov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean Paul Valley was awesome to me as a kid, I thought he looked so cool and was bad ass.