Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2: Who Are The Post-Credit Characters?

• 54 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy is currently in theaters in what seems to be everywhere but the US, which releases on May 5. As you may have heard, the film has five post-credit sequences, which we break down here. We're talking about one of them specifically and giving you some insight from the comic books, so we can get a better understanding of what's going on.

If you're curious for GameSpot's take on the film, check out our review here.

Warning: Spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ahead.

No Caption Provided

Specifically, we are taking a look at the post-credit sequence involving some very familiar faces. Stakar Ogord (Sylvester Stallone) puts together his own team of Guardians. This team consists of Charlie-27 (Ving Rhames), Aleta Ogord (Michelle Yeoh), Krugarr, and Mainframe (voiced by Miley Cyrus). In the film, all of these characters were members of the Reavers.

These aren't all the original Guardians of the Galaxy team members in the comics. That team consisted of Vance Astro, Charlie-27, Yondu, and Martinex. However, these are all characters that are very much a part of the history and mythos of the team. In addition, the majority of their stories took place in an alternate universe.

Here are the characters we saw in the post-credit sequence and where they come from in the comics.

Stakar Ogord AKA Starhawk

No Caption Provided

Stallone plays Stakar Ogord, also known as Starhawk. The character first appeared in The Defenders #27 back in 1975. Ogord was adopted by a Reaver named Arcturus. He and his adopted sister Aleta accidentally brought Hawk God to life, and they both gained powers.

He has perceived knowledge of the past and future, and every time he tries to change his timeline, he creates an alternate reality. Starhawk has been reborn into an infant body many times. The comic book version is a bit overpowered, being able to travel faster than light, having super-human strength and a long lifespan, and not aging over the course of 1,000 years. More than likely, the cinematic version won't be as powerful.

Charlie-27

No Caption Provided

Rhames plays Charlie-27, a co-founder of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the 31st century. He first appeared in Marvel Super-Heroes #18 in 1969, which was in the introduction of this now iconic team. Charlie worked on gas-mining platforms on Jupiter, but after his people were killed off by the Badoon, he started the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Because Charlie-27 is a genetically engineered human, he has increased strength, stamina, and durability. In addition, because he was created to work on Jupiter, he can withstand greater amounts of pressure and gravity compared to a human being. All of these abilities seem pretty reasonable for the cinematic universe, so if the team returns, Charlie-27 should be similar to his comic book counterpart.

Aleta Ogord

No Caption Provided

Michelle Yeoh plays Aleta Ogord, the sister of Starhawk. She also had her first appearance in The Defenders #27 back in 1975. After she and her brother woke the Hawk God, all three of them became one being: Starhawk. Aleta spent most of her time in limbo, until later when she was separated into a being of pure light.

Because of this, she can control light and make constructs from it. In addition, she can become intangible. Much like her brother, she also has super-human strength and a long lifespan. For the movies, she may also have her powers dwindled a bit.

Krugarr

No Caption Provided

Krugarr first appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1in 1991. He is a Lem, an alien species we don't see much of in the comics. He has ties to Doctor Strange, becoming Strange's apprentice during the 22nd century. Eventually, the alien became Sorcerer Supreme.

He's the alien version of Doctor Strange but--when he reaches his potential--a lot more powerful. Sorcery was just introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the chances of this character having ties to Doctor Strange, if they use Krugarr again, are slim to none. More than likely, he'll just be a regular alien who may have some enhanced abilities.

Mainframe

No Caption Provided

Finally, there is Mainframe, who is voiced by Cyrus. The character first appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy #5 in 1990. Mainframe is an evolved version of Vision. He became the operating system of an entire planet and controlled the climate. In addition, he also guarded Captain America's shield.

Mainframe isn't a physical being, although we do see holograms of the character in the comics. It's hard to say what the cinematic version of the character will eventually be like, since we only see her briefly during the post-credit sequence, so it's hard to tell if she will have any connection to the current Vision on Earth.

SuperValley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You should take down the spoiler picture on the news feed

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I wonder why they chose to feminize Mainframe since he is the future version of Vision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whoa... Spoilers. Ah, who am I kidding, I've already spoiled the entire movie for myself through articles like this.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

Why would they not include Yondu? Already have a lickable character and actor. Dumb move there

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#6  Edited By black_wreath

This is legit the first MCU I have no interest in seeing. The marketing didn't work for me.

If it helps: I thought the first one was obnoxious and overrated yet I liked Vol 2. and believe it is a vast improvement.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#7 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Awesome.

Linked Reavers or these Reavers of Arcturus ? The latter has connection to these characters.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why would they not include Yondu? Already have a lickable character and actor. Dumb move there

Lol, poor thing.

I´m guessing you haven´t seen the movie

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I might not see it anyway. Heard it's garbage to the original from the mix reviews.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FearTheLiving

@ravenvice01 said:

I wonder why they chose to feminize Mainframe since he is the future version of Vision.

Well given how much they changed Yondu my guess it's an aspect they won't go into so they just went in a different direction with the character. Cause I doubt we'll get these guys in a movie that takes place in the future. (Not to mention the lack of movie rights for the Badoon.)

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Asgaard

Nice article...

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I might not see it anyway. Heard it's garbage to the original from the mix reviews.

Yeah META score of 7.1 and 87% fresh at RT is really rotten...

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz said:

Yeah META score of 7.1 and 87% fresh at RT is really rotten...

Yeah, and Ghost Busters also got a great score on Rotten Tomatoes and Meta. Still shit.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Because he is dead.

I got that. Though that sounds stupid. I bet it had little impact to the whole ordeal too. Oh well.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Quite the contrary, I liked it more than the first.

If you don´t mind spoilers then Yondu dies

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Yeah Ghostbusters remake is shit but GOTG Vol. 2 isn't. Must be lonely to be the only one with that opinion here... Then again you probably often claim that movie is 'shit' by never having even seen it.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RavenVice01

@Feartheliving: if Marvel Studios has acquired Uatu the Watcher from Fox, it's a safe bet that they purchased all FF and Silver Surfer rights including the Badoon

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@rubear said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Because he is dead.

I got that. Though that sounds stupid. I bet it had little impact to the whole ordeal too. Oh well.

Not only does he get a lot of screen time he also gets the best scenes in the movie and saves the day in the ends.

Good movie, better than the first. Stallone should have been Vane Astro.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

#22  Edited By mantequilla

Except for the first 15 min and the last quarter, the whole middle of the movie seemed boring; there were too many silly jokes that didnt work, I dodnt like Peter's origins and we have yet another forgettable Marvel villain. Fortunately the ending saved the movie

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@sinikettu: oooo, look at you. So edgy. I also never said the movie was shit lol. I said I heard from "mix" reviews it's shit to the original. Learn to read.

I also don't waste my money base on RT or MC scores. I waste my money on word of mouth and how badly I care about said franchise. If I here mix views for a film I am not that invested in to begin with, I will wait till it comes out on Internet for free or till a friend has it to watch for free, and not support it. That's just me. I have more important things to waste money on, like bills.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mantequilla: now that sounds a lot like what my friend said and that Jermy movie reviewer guy said. This sounds like a shadow of the first movie.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the movie isnt all that, at least there were no dance-offs

Cloak7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How bout martinex? michael rosenbaum

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FearTheLiving

@Feartheliving: if Marvel Studios has acquired Uatu the Watcher from Fox, it's a safe bet that they purchased all FF and Silver Surfer rights including the Badoon

Hopefully. That being said MS could have had the rights to the Watchers this whole time. Watchers did first appear in Tales of Suspense and could have acted as a separate movie license that Fox chose not to purchase with the FF.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: it's possible but Uatu played a major role when FF and Silver Surfer first collided with Galactus

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: it's possible but Uatu played a major role when FF and Silver Surfer first collided with Galactus

Yeah but this is also Fox we're talking about who already used that story and had Galactus as a cloud and had no mention of the Watchers. I mean even if they did own the Watchers, MS could have just made a deal for them independently of the FF much like they did with Ego.

I do hope they got all the FF rights though be nice to see those characters take their rightful place in the Marvel Universe.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

this website and its thumbnail spoilers.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

#31  Edited By mantequilla

@sirfizzwhizz: well you have to consider GotG is one of the best Marvel's movies; the first 2/3 of the movie do feel not as good but it has some good throwbacks to the first, despite the bunch of silly jokes there are also many great ones too (Drax is hilarious through all the movie) and the soubdtrack is top notch again.

And like I said, the last third of the movie is where the juice is and I think it is much better than what we saw in GotG1 and still makes this movie better than most of the other Marvel's

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: I suppose u are right. It would be a great way to hail phase 4 of the MCU by introducing the Fantastic Four and eventually silver surfer. I would tag James Gunn to do the Silver Surfer movies so the guardians still have a job but im not sure who would be best suited to really make FF epic. Joss Whedon or Jon Favreau again?

almightyaleks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wtf, an asian playing the role of a white blonde? don't get me wrong i love Michelle Yeoh, but she's not the correct actress for the role........

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: I suppose u are right. It would be a great way to hail phase 4 of the MCU by introducing the Fantastic Four and eventually silver surfer. I would tag James Gunn to do the Silver Surfer movies so the guardians still have a job but im not sure who would be best suited to really make FF epic. Joss Whedon or Jon Favreau again?

MS seems to be very confident in James Gunn and him dealing with the cosmic side of things so I can easily see him shifting over after Guardians 3 to something else in the cosmic side. Other than that I think we probably won't recognize the name or it's a name that's worked primarily in TV as MS seems to have mostly targeted relative unknowns or guys like Whedon and Gunn who are on the fringe of greatness and actually giving them a shot at much larger potential, so I have no idea who they'd go after to direct a Silver Surfer movie or a Quasar movie or w/e else they decide to do in the cosmic playground.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: I wouldn't be too thrilled to see a Quasar movie because he doesn't really have an infamous rogue gallery or arch nemesis for that matter. They already introduced Project Pegasus in the first Avengers movie without Wendell Vaughn. With Captain Marvel on the rise, they could bring Quasar into play but maybe as Phyla-Vell since the quantum bands are almost similar to the Mar-Vell's Nega bands. I don't know what do you think?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: I was just using him as an example I don't think he'll actually get his own movie. That being said I think it really depends on how they change up Captain Marvel's origin and if Mar-Vell is even a factor anymore cause if he's not that changes up things and we haven't even gotten into the Eternals yet (aside from very little of Thanos and maybe Drax) and how much they'll play into things. They may end up just changing things up a lot with the characters if they do decide to use Wendell or Phyla. I feel like if they do both Mar-Vell and Quasar they'll just drop the Nega-Bands from Mar-Vell, I mean it's not like they'll be able to touch on the Negative Zone if they don't have the FF rights and Rick Jones was only very briefly mentioned in the MCU as a whole so I can see them bypassing it completely and saying he got his powers from other means. (I think Earth's Mightiest Heroes did something similar to this if I recall correctly)

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: They could always expand on Rick Jones' character when Carol Danvers gets more sequels. Let's not forget that Mar-Vell's genetically altered children go bad or insane at one time or another. The Nega bands could be used to prevent the detonation of the Nega Bomb that the Supreme Intelligence uses.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: That's true. Though given that they introduced the Quantum Realm in Ant-Man if they'd just by pass the Nega Bands altogether and just make all of them Quantum Bands and since Nega-Bands were suppose to be designed by the Kree to be like the Quantum Bands if they'll just streamline that or if they'd still be an off shoot of some sort.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: in the end, who knows what the future holds. If u and I were working for marvel studios and had the chance to turn back the clock, we could correct so many mistakes and take roads that should have been taken

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: in the end, who knows what the future holds. If u and I were working for marvel studios and had the chance to turn back the clock, we could correct so many mistakes and take roads that should have been taken

Eh, it's not perfect but for it's flaws I still enjoy the MCU and tend to give them some lean way given all the rights issues they have/had to deal with when shaping it. I mean the MCU will never ever truly feel like the MU because chunks of what made it what it is is missing. Fantastic Four, X-Men/Mutants, and Spider-Man (at least when it started) you can't just have those tentpoles gone and not feel like there is something missing. That being said given the opportunity I still would have changed some things that were completely in their power.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordRequiem

Why don't you mention that Michael Rosenbaum played Martinex?

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stumpy49er

Just watched it. I went in with low expectations and ended up enjoying it.

I like that it's not connected to the rest of the MCU. Nice to get a standalone film.

Also, I liked how each character got their moments in the spotlight. Baby Groot was cute, Rocket was a misanthropic genius badass, Drax had the funniest lines and good chemistry with Mantis, Gamora got some emotional moments with Nebula and Star-Lord had some great moments with his dad('s). Even Yondu ended up getting some of the best moments.

I will say on the negative, the villain wasn't amazing. I actually thought Ronan from the first movie was a great villain but Ego was so so. I do love Kurt Russel in this though, just not as a villain. Also, even though it's not connected to the rest of the MCU, there still is a lot of setup for another movie. In this case, GotG 3.

All in all, an entertaining movie.

PScully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez. The movie was horrible. Very predictable. It went nowhere. Too goofy in spots. It was like Star Trek V. The CG was fantastic, but in my opinion, the rest of the movie fell flat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I am not even going to stay after for this

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Don't just listen to the reviews. You'll have to watch the movie to form your own opinion.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@the_impersonator: yeah, becuase I have so much money to spend 30 bucks on titckets for me and the kids to see a movie I may or may not like.