GS Review: Captain Marvel (Spoilers)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

And it's been awhile since I reviewed anything...again. But here I am, back at it again with Marvel's latest movie, Captain Marvel. Just a disclaimer, if you missed the title, I am warning you that spoilers will be ahead.

Summary

It's here, the greatest, most strongkerest force in the Marvel universe, Captain Marvel, starring Brie Larson. Join her as we flashback to the greatness of the 90's and journey along with her as she uncovers her amnesia riddled past, exploring her powers, and prevent the evil Dragonball Evolution Piccolos, I mean Skrulls, from taking over the universe.

The Good

Fury- So I'll say that Sam Jackson being a lighthearted and young Nick Fury made his scenes enjoyable. He looked like he had fun, the CGI and make up or whatever they did looked really good at making him younger, I think he definitely carried a lot of the scenes he had. But I will say how lighthearted he was, was off putting to me. I know even in his old age he's still got his quips and stuff, but I feel they went overboard with the comedy with him.

Goose- Goose was funny and I like cats...but he was your stereotypical Marvel movie mascot. He had some of the better moments in the movie, that made a lot of the crowd in the theater laugh, and him and Jackson fed off each other pretty well.

Monica- Monica I found actually charming in the movie. I don't know the kid's name, but she definitely held her own in the interactions she was given.

CGI- So the CGI was good in some of the fights. I really liked the space fight at the end as far as visuals go, and how Carol's powers manifested themselves was pretty cool to see. That's about it.

Not a total SJW Propaganda Film: It definitely had it's girl power moments, but it wasn't bad. I'm going to mark it under good, because that is the last thing I can see as good.

The Bad

Brie Larson: I will start out by saying she wasn't bad. I don't think Brie Larson is a bad actress, not great, she's just ok. Now with that said, she just seemed very disconnected during a lot of interactions or just kind of being afraid to really give her performance more emotion. She seemed like she tried to play it very safe and would rather underperform than overperform. There was just no balance with her.

Skrulls: I was very disappointed with the Skrulls. I was happy with the make up and how they looked...sort of. They kind of looked like Demon King Piccolo from Dragonball Evolution, that horrible movie, so it left a sour taste in my mouth. What really ticked me off was the plot twist where they were actually helping Carol all along and the Skrulls just wanted a light speed engine to find their families. The Skrulls became good guys....even they were some of Marvel's first villains....what the hell and why? I didn't care for the twist and I thought it was terrible. It worked for the movie, but as a fan, no.

Kree: Just wasted cast overall. They turned into generic bad guys, Jude Law was wasted and I was really excited to see Ronan again, but he was in the movie a whole 2 minutes total and did absolutely nothing.

CGI: And some of the CGI was just rather poor at times too. Carol had some good shots in space and when she's glowing, but other times it was not good. There was a scene towards the beginning when she has to talk to Supreme Intelligence and she is strung up by this gummi looking goo stuff, it looked like a C-list SYFY channel movie.

Pacing: The pacing was pretty poor in this movie, I'll say that much. This movie really tried to tie a lot of different things together like Carol's past, her friendships, relationships with her mentors, coming to terms with her powers, her interactions with Maria and Monica, the twist with the Skrull and the Kree, the Kree home, her time on Earth. To me it was like this movie wanted to do so much, and with an already underperforming Larson, nothing really had a chance to breathe and flesh out. None of the threats or relationships felt important. It all just had to move from next point to the next and the next. And when it did take a risk...it ended terribly.

Fury's Eye. Got scratched by Goose...."last time I trusted someone I lost an eye" gets comedically scratched by a cat and is offered glass eyes. Again, terrible decision.

Captain Carol "Avenger" Danvers: Fury looks at photo of Carol at the end and changes "Protectors Initiative" to the "Avengers Initiative". Talk about a shoehorn out of nowhere. Again, terrible decision, made no sense, and was never even hinted at.

In Conclusion

Captain Marvel was overall....forgettable. From forgettable fight scenes, to no major villains, to poorly built upon relationships, character dynamics, pacing issues, and funky CGI, there was nothing about this movie that really made me go "awesome". Nothing was inherently bad aside from the twists they tried to do, but everything else was just kind of "meh". Larson was wooden at times and as I said seemingly disconnected, but other times seemed like she enjoyed herself. Jackson had fun but it was off putting for his character. Jude Law and Ronan were wasted. That's all I can really say is this movie was forgettable. Not bad, it wasn't a bad movie, but you'll walk out of there remembering nothing of value.

Final Verdict 5.5/10

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Supermanthor

Lmao as soon as i saw the bad heading i close my eyes and bet with myself that the first thing will be brie larson and i was right lol

anyway good review God spawn and i agree its a typical mcu movie not bad not great

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

I actually agree with pretty much everything in your post (maybe not so much on the Skrulls), although I do think the movie was better than 4.5 imo.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: I personally thought fury loseing his eye will feature a scary or emotional scene not a comedic one ....

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So basically just another MCU movie.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 god_spawn  Moderator

@magian: I might make it a 5, but there was just so little that pulled me into the movie or really grabbed my attention. And the good stuff had almost an equally bad equivalent that pulled it back. So it sits at 4.5.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 god_spawn  Moderator

@supermanthor: Brie Larson being the first thing bad on the list doesn’t make her the worst. I’ll say a lot of this had to do with the script too. I don’t care for her stances on a lot of things, but I don’t think she is a bad actress. Not great despite awards but solid. There was just a lot wrong with this movie for me and it hurt her performance.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@god_spawn: Personally for me, it was a 6/6.5 I guess. But I can understand why you rated it like this.

@supermanthor: I would like to see you losing your eye like this and then tell me how comedic it was :p

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supermanthor

@god_spawn: I never considered Brie a bad actress

But I just don't see her as captain marvel

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Supermanthor

@magian: forget loseing my eye if I ever go to a cat I will die by the allergies I will get from the cat lol

Since I get allergies whenever I hold cats :(

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Thanks for this.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@god_spawn: Solid review. I agree with your analysis that the movie was indeed underwhelming, but I came to a slightly different conclusion to you and gave it a 7 instead of a 4.5 (might bump it down to a 6.7, IDK).

Definitely agree Brie was flat at times, particularly during emotional moments, but overall I liked her and I'm excited to see how she'll grow into the role in upcoming years.

Couldn't agree more on Fury's eye. That was absolutely awful. However, I thought Fury overall was great and I loved seeing a less cynical, jaded version of the character.

Once again, I enjoyed your review and hope to read more from you soon :)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 god_spawn  Moderator

@theamazingspidey: Thanks, man, I appreciate it. I could not in could faith give it anything higher than a 6, but I changed my initial rating to 5.5. In the end I would need to take something away from the film and unfortunately what I did was bad decisions and lackluster connection on all fronts.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 god_spawn  Moderator

And I want to add in the fact that the guy playing Wizard Shazam, the real Captain Marvel plays a character in this Captain Marvel. I enjoy weird stuff like that.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By godzilla44

Solid review, I guess I'll wait for to drop on redbox or something I don't plan on seeing this in theaters.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is okay.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I got questions:

1. What risk did they take that ended terribly?

2. How bad was that cat scratch? I mean, did he lose it to infection or something?

3. The Avengers initiative was really named after Carol ? Why did she gain the nickname, Avenger, in the first place?

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything aside (even Larson) that Karl"Avenger"Manvers was the most WTF and shittiest thing overall.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: No they didn’t..Are you being serious? Fury legit lost his eye from a cat? That’s you messin’ around right?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michaelbn: yeah I always thought it was because of Cap being the first Avenger and all that ?‍♂️

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 god_spawn  Moderator
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 god_spawn  Moderator

@heatforce: The risks are what the movie itself takes, like the origin of the Avengers name, him losing his eye, the Skrulls and the Kree were my main ones I considered risks because those were incredibly ballsy decisions while being terrible. The rest of the movie just kind of coasts.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: understood. I guess secret wars is out of the question now unless the Skrulls are made into heels somehow. Would be weird for the 'peaceful' Skrulls to suddenly try world domination.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

NGL, this just solidified my not seeing it in theatres even more then it already was. Solid review, nonetheless

No Caption Provided

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27 JediXMan  Moderator

@god_spawn: No they didn’t..Are you being serious? Fury legit lost his eye from a cat? That’s you messin’ around right?

I can confirm. Cat scratch. I groaned audibly and my friend next to me was laughing hard at my reaction.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:
@mazahs117 said:

I can confirm. Cat scratch. I groaned audibly and my friend next to me was laughing hard at my reaction.

They completely ruined what could been an awesome reveal or set up for something really cool later. In my head I came up with this head canon that it could be revealed Fury lost his eye to like Wolverine or something, once the XMEN are brought into the fold, and what do they write? Fury, the most legendary bada$$ spy in the MCU loses his eye because of a friggin’ kitty cat....W O W ?‍♂️

ValBr111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give it a strong 6 to a weak 7.

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, political issues aside I'd still only give it a 4, at most. Here is a list detailing why:

- Awful editing, messes with pacing and generally can be confusingly shit.

- Terrible lighting in places means you can hardly see what's going on.

- I actually disagree with you on CGI, her suit (when in non-binary mode) looks almost Green-lantern esque.

- Forgettable villians

- Poor fight scenes and action in general

- Corny script, almost painful at times (instantly her quip after she breaks free springs to mind).

- Brie herself was pretty shoddy to be honest.

- As you mentioned, they ruined any chances of a secret wars movie purely to 'divert' our expectations.

- As you also said, Ronan was criminally underused.

- Crowbared in 'avengers' origins.

- Fury lost his eye to a cat.

To name but a few.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kiba

So I just found this:

In an interview with /Film, Feige was asked point-blank about the pager issue. Citing a scene towards the end of Captain Marvel, Feige did the best he could to clear up the perceived plot hole using in-universe logic:

"Well, I’d say two things. One, she does say it’s gotta be a real emergency, right? Yeah... The other thing I’d say is how do you know he never hit it? How do we know he never pushed it before? We’ve never seen him push it before. That doesn’t mean he never did."

alekj019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alekj019

good review, my rating to the movie 5 /10

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

@god_spawn: Captain Marvel (Spoilers) has Brie Larson and her SJW BS in other word "If You Go Woke You Will Go Broke>"

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Jgames

I find weird that coincedently, recently in Squirrel Girl they also had one skrull essentially be an illegal immigrant trying to escape the skrull. So honestly maybe because I just read that I was not bother by the twist of them being actually the good guy. I mean some of me thought they might go that way considering how comical the bland Kree characters look like the bad guys.

But yeah Brie Larson underperforming in some scene did bother me quite a bit. It does not help that she seem to be a bit too much of a mary sue and a lackluster director.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good. Not up to the likes of Ragnarok or etc

Laurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really want is that black widow movie, captain Marvel can go suck an egg.

Oh, also, the gender bending on Mar-Vel got on my nerves too. I'd love to see them get away with doing it the other way round.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: I don't know why people don't like this movie. Is it brie Larson? Because overall it was cool. For me it was better than aquaman. Only thing that bothered me was changing her origin and mar vells gender swap

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically the movie was O.K to Good (blockbuster metrics obviously), what i find odd was the lack of own identity and specially heart, there were a lot of parts that it didn't felt like a Mcu movie, and although Brie Larson was not so wooden like she looks in the trailers she would need more from the plot to make me care more about her as a hero, like i do with Rocket and Groot.

Since its a "labeled movie" to me was not really heavy handed, but the Mcu bar (specially from phase 3) goes down some points with Captain Marvel, and its unfortunately but also curious that this happens with the first Mcu female lead, don't think Feige is happy with the final product, yes make this big movies great is not easy, and in recent years we keep forgetting that...

Its funny that the Guardians and Thor are barely enough (worldbuilding wise) to legitimate cosmic threats like Thanos, but movies about the Kree and Skrulls are still set 95% on Earth, sure its an origin story but it could be done less centered on Earth.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jedixman said:
@mazahs117 said:

It's just the Marvel standard at this point, anything for a gag. At this point they just don't care.