Greg Land ripoff/tracing/recycling thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for vermoot
Vermoot

107

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vermoot

Hey everyone !

I thought it might be good to make a thread pointing out how Greg Land thinks of us as idiots by showing all of his rip-offs, tracing and recycling you might find.

I just came across this image made by about Marvel NOW!'s Iron Man #1 preview :

No Caption Provided

Gotta say I really am worried about him taking over Iron Man in december...

So, everyone assemble, and show us your findings !

Avatar image for ssejllenrad
ssejllenrad

13112

Forum Posts

145

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ssejllenrad

So he traces.. Who cares? It's not like plagiarism is a crime... Hehehe!

You want people to take action against his "tracing"? Have him trace the Apple logo... They'll sue the sh*t outta him.

Avatar image for the_soverighn
The_Soverighn

2116

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By The_Soverighn

http://fuck-no-greg-land.tumblr.com/

Avatar image for cap10nate
Cap10nate

3629

Forum Posts

164

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

In defense of the Iron Man pictures, the are only so many ways you can draw an expressionless armored person. I'm sure if you look at most pictures drawn of him there is a similar one in his 60 plus year history

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
JoseDRiveraTCR7

1020

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@The_Soverighn said:

http://fuck-no-greg-land.tumblr.com/

Thank you so much for posting that tumblr.

Avatar image for thecrowbar
TheCrowbar

4397

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

I wish he'd do a youtube video on how to trace(Using photoshop or something) I'd would make fan fiction comics out the ass!

Edit: If you have a youtube video or something showing it please post it!

Avatar image for vermoot
Vermoot

107

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Vermoot

@Cap10nate yeah and there must also be so many ways you can draw his hands. (look at the first picture)

Avatar image for crash_recovery
Crash_Recovery

855

Forum Posts

22

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Crash_Recovery

I know people get very passionate about things like this, but Land's style is a legitimate art style. The only problem would be if he were tracing the work of other artists and not attributing proper credit.

If he's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but he's not doing anything illegitimate.

Alex Ross, who people hail as a demigod, does all of his work from photo reference taken of models. It's not that different.

Avatar image for vermoot
Vermoot

107

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Vermoot

Fully disagree. Whereas tracing pictures can be considered legitimate (if only he would "attribute propoer credit" to other artists (photographs too, it'd only be fair), his porn faces all over his books are NOT tolerable.

Many of his female "drawings" are traced porn. That's just sad. And no, that is NOT legitimate art. That's not what I pay for.

Porn tracing. COME ON.
Porn tracing. COME ON.

Sexist art. Recycling. Tracing, or even stealing other artist's work. Incomplete or disastrous art. And I should be okay paying comics with this ?

Just a little "best of" of what I found on

.

On another kind of "what the actual frak", here are the many faces of Ben Grimm :

I'm NOT okay paying for this.
I'm NOT okay paying for this.
Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

7674

Forum Posts

1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@Vermoot

Fully disagree. Whereas tracing pictures can be considered legitimate (if only he would "attribute propoer credit" to other artists (photographs too, it'd only be fair), his porn faces all over his books are NOT tolerable.

Many of his female "drawings" are traced porn. That's just sad. And no, that is NOT legitimate art. That's not what I pay for.

Porn tracing. COME ON.
Porn tracing. COME ON.

Sexist art. Recycling. Tracing, or even stealing other artist's work. Incomplete or disastrous art. And I should be okay paying comics with this ?

Just a little "best of" of what I found on

.

On another kind of "what the actual frak", here are the many faces of Ben Grimm :

I'm NOT okay paying for this.
I'm NOT okay paying for this.
Lol! Doesn't Osborn look suspiciously like a white Obama ? Land should be ashamed of himself. SMH.
Avatar image for inverno
Inverno

13756

Forum Posts

8579

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for kuonphobos
kuonphobos

5212

Forum Posts

82570

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By kuonphobos

In "The Best of Wizard Basic Training: How to Draw Vol 1" pgs 114-118 Greg Land has a segment called "Photo Reference". He is quite unapologetic.

Boris Vallejo also lays out this same method in his book "Boris Vallejo: Fantasy Art Techniques". He is also quite unapologetic.

I love Greg Land's work, especially on Sojourn

I do however also enjoy your "enthusiasm".

Avatar image for vance_astro
vance_astro

90095

Forum Posts

51511

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He keeps getting work..so he wins.

Avatar image for tdk_1997
TDK_1997

19308

Forum Posts

28929

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

Greg Land is a horrible artist and I don't know how he keeps getting work.

Avatar image for vance_astro
vance_astro

90095

Forum Posts

51511

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TDK_1997 said:

Greg Land is a horrible artist and I don't know how he keeps getting work.

Because not enough people actually care.
Avatar image for razero
Razero

339

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Razero

Well....at least it's nice to look at.

Avatar image for x_29
x_29

2375

Forum Posts

4

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By x_29

Greg ducking Land.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

18346

Forum Posts

4277

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

I don't really see the problem. The art is still good to look at.

Avatar image for zombietag
zombietag

1699

Forum Posts

1807

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By zombietag

@Deranged Midget said:

I don't really see the problem. The art is still good to look at.

i agree to some extent. but this is like... cheating. like totally stealing other peoples work because hes lazy and / or not talented enough to do it himself

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

18346

Forum Posts

4277

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Deranged Midget

@zombietag: I understand where you're coming from but apparently Marvel doesn't really care.

Avatar image for vance_astro
vance_astro

90095

Forum Posts

51511

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@zombietag said:

@Deranged Midget said:

I don't really see the problem. The art is still good to look at.

i agree to some extent. but this is like... cheating. like totally stealing other peoples work because hes lazy and / or not talented enough to do it himself

I don't think he's lazy. I'd bet on the talent part. It is like cheating but if Marvel knows he's doing it and they still employ him, I feel like people should be madder at them.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

18346

Forum Posts

4277

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Vance Astro said:

but if Marvel knows he's doing it and they still employ him, I feel like people should be madder at them.

Basically what I think as well.

Avatar image for sc
SC

18222

Forum Posts

182748

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator

Marvel is aware of Greg Land's art practices, and David Mack, but its basically reward versus risk. Greg Land is reputed to be one of Marvels fastest illustrators and thats handy to have since deadlines are a priority and so is speed over originality. That and its actually a bit hard to like really punish Marvel or its artists over tracing material that they shouldn't. Remember when an artist straight up used a photo of Amy Grant with a filter and she couldn't even sue them for using her likeness she had to go the route of suing Marvel for associating her with demonic imagery or something. Really the only way Marvel will take note is if enough people make enough noise and the risk of hiring Land outweighs the reward, and I remember like being the only poster in the Land vs Liefeld thread to prefer Liefeld simply because he is original so Land probably won't be going anywhere soon.    

Avatar image for smashbrawler
SmashBrawler

6033

Forum Posts

258

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By SmashBrawler

@SC said:

Marvel is aware of Greg Land's art practices, and David Mack, but its basically reward versus risk. Greg Land is reputed to be one of Marvels fastest illustrators and thats handy to have since deadlines are a priority and so is speed over originality. That and its actually a bit hard to like really punish Marvel or its artists over tracing material that they shouldn't. Remember when an artist straight up used a photo of Amy Grant with a filter and she couldn't even sue them for using her likeness she had to go the route of suing Marvel for associating her with demonic imagery or something. Really the only way Marvel will take note is if enough people make enough noise and the risk of hiring Land outweighs the reward, and I remember like being the only poster in the Land vs Liefeld thread to prefer Liefeld simply because he is original so Land probably won't be going anywhere soon.

Google "Rob Liefeld swipe" (without the quotation marks)

Liefeld is anything but original

Avatar image for sc
SC

18222

Forum Posts

182748

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator
@SmashBrawler said:

@SC said:

Marvel is aware of Greg Land's art practices, and David Mack, but its basically reward versus risk. Greg Land is reputed to be one of Marvels fastest illustrators and thats handy to have since deadlines are a priority and so is speed over originality. That and its actually a bit hard to like really punish Marvel or its artists over tracing material that they shouldn't. Remember when an artist straight up used a photo of Amy Grant with a filter and she couldn't even sue them for using her likeness she had to go the route of suing Marvel for associating her with demonic imagery or something. Really the only way Marvel will take note is if enough people make enough noise and the risk of hiring Land outweighs the reward, and I remember like being the only poster in the Land vs Liefeld thread to prefer Liefeld simply because he is original so Land probably won't be going anywhere soon.

Google "Rob Liefeld swipe" (without the quotation marks)

Liefeld is anything but original

 
Oh I am aware of Liefeld's tracing too, I should have probably said more original, as in he hasn't made a career out of tracing the same way Greg Land has. You know? The joke being that if you ever see a Liefeld drawing where the characters body is in proportion he probably traced it, but how often do you see a Liefeld drawing that isn't out of proportion?  
Avatar image for mercy_
Mercy_

94931

Forum Posts

83653

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_