Green Lantern's being gay

MurieC16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MurieC16

Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? Everyone is causing such a stir over this when it basically does not change the hero what so ever. Superheroes are the exact symbol of being different and making one character gay is totally acceptable. What I'm trying to get to is that most of us can't accept change or something we are not used to. This whole character does not change my opinion on him one bit, but for those of you who are now bashing the character you once liked just because he turned gay, shame on you. Sound off in the comments on what you think about this change...

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Kinda late to the party... wanna complain about people complaining about black Spider-Man?

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Duke_Nasty

Actually I hadn't seen any posts about this in a month until this one.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@MurieC16: Actually most of the people making a big deal about it weren't comic fans, mostly it was just news channels wanting to grab some ratings.

MurieC16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MurieC16

Haha I LOVE Miles, nova!

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

If Obsidian returns to the New 52 as a straight character I'm sure folks would be upset. If John Stewart was changed into an Asian man I bet someone would be mad. If Wonder Woman was taken out of the Justice League I'm positive someone out there would be pissed. So am I surprised when Alan Scott is changed into a gay man some people were upset? Nope. Major changes will always have backlash. I wasn't a huge fan of Alan, so him being gay doesn't bother me. Ask a huge fan of the character and they might tell you DC should have just made a new character who just happens to be homosexual.

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aero_gt

Oh Alan Scott is Gay? That is cool Dc needs to get wwith the times. I was kinda stoked when I found out Bunker was Gay and Hispanic.

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Swagger462

As far as I'm concerned as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult anyone can stick what ever they want where ever they want. Peoples sex lives are their business and just because a comic hero is suddenly giving it to other dudes doesn't mean he's a bad role model for kids.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Aero_gt said:

Oh Alan Scott is Gay? That is cool Dc needs to get wwith the times. I was kinda stoked when I found out Bunker was Gay and Hispanic.

O_O >_> Bunker also wears purple and pink for a costume lol I have yet to meet a gay man who thought that much purple was ok XD

I'm ok with the alan scott thing because Robinson has explained the rationale behind it and it's earth to so anything goes in an alternate universe.

It's the main earth that changes like that would be unwise depending on severity. Tweaks are great, complete overhauls on characters who are well known and supported not wise lol

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jwalser3

Well I don't mind the idea, I just don't want it about a gay superhero, but a superhero that is gay. If you know what I mean.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ratman19

idc if hes gay, i just want the public to know its not the new earth GL thats gay its the earth 2 GL. i was talking to some of my non comic book reading friends the other day and they said they dont like GL because hes gay. i had to explain to them everything.so if they thought hal jordan was gay than a whole lot of other people may to

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AweSam

@ratman19 said:

idc if hes gay, i just want the public to know its not the new earth GL thats gay its the earth 2 GL. i was talking to some of my non comic book reading friends the other day and they said they dont like GL because hes gay. i had to explain to them everything.so if they thought hal jordan was gay than a whole lot of other people may to

I know, I read an entire article about how this might effect the next Green Lantern movie. I was like "Are you f-ing r-tarded?"

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hectorsquall

I think that Alan Scott being gay isn't really a big deal because as long as the character is awesome, interesting and isn't only defined by his sexual orientation I'm fine with it. Like @jwalser3 said:

Well I don't mind the idea, I just don't want it about a gay superhero, but a superhero that is gay. If you know what I mean.

@EnSabahNurX said:

I'm ok with the alan scott thing because Robinson has explained the rationale behind it and it's earth to so anything goes in an alternate universe.

See, that's probably my only problem with this. In a previous interview, here's what he had to say about it:

Comic Vine: WhyAlan Scott? Was this your choice? Was it an Editorial decision and how and when did the decision come about?
James Robinson: It came about 8 months ago when I was first putting the team together. One of the things that bothered me about the reboot and about the Justice Society being young again was that there were some characters that would no longer exist. One of those characters is Obsidian, Alan Scott's gay son. So from then on I started to think about it and it seemed like a logical leap to make Alan Scott gay. And the idea that the leader of the Justice Society, the most honorable, dynamic and gallant hero on Earth 2 would be a gay man just seemed like a really cool and interesting direction for the character.
So it was my idea, but to be fair Dan DiDio, when he heard about the idea, there wasn't a moment of hesitation on his part. He thought it was a great idea

Seriously? I understand that it wasn't his fault if Jade and Obsidian could no longer exist, rebooting Earth-2 was an editorial decision and Robinson is already thinking of a way to bring them back even though that won't be for a while yet. But saying that the main reason behind this change was because his son was gay "and it seemed like a logical leap to make Alan Scott gay."... WTF!?

Don't get me wrong, I really like this book and I think Robinson did a pretty good job so far but I don't think he could bring back Obsidian without making it seem awkward.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm not making a big deal over this but I don't like it. Alan Scott was one of my favorite DC characters...now I could care less about him. I hate when comic companies make unnecessary changes to characters. They didn't have to have this back and forth "whose the gayer company" war with Marvel, We may never see the day again where the comics industry is just about creating good books and not a bunch of cheap gimmicks.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jorgevy

it actually makes sense that if they can't have Obsidian has a gay character, to make his father, Alan Scott, gay. Since he can no longer exist and a gay character disapeared, they need to fill the gap, so it kinda makes some sense. either way, Im only getting into Alan Scott now with the N52, so I have no problems with it

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NerdsFTW

Don't care about their sexual orientation.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MenaceForever2

They shouldn't have made him gay.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

lol I thought this thread was going to be something entirely different.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By TheWitchingHour

It's usually better to create an original character than to pull a 180 with an existing one. That being said I love Shatterstar and Rictor.

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TERMINATORXX

Alot of people are against gays.... I am too to a digree.

* Life *

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Well I don't really care if Alan Scott is now gay. But I still like DC to find a way to bring Jade back. Oh of topic I got Earth 2 #2 cost me 6 dallars.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@Duke_Nasty said:

Actually I hadn't seen any posts about this in a month until this one.

yeah same...

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Redberry

Those who complain don't even know who Alan Scott is in the first place. They don't read comics, so they really need to shut up about it. I actually like the twist that a leader of a superheroes group is gay. It has never been done before in a mainstream comic.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

So I got to know. Who is Alan seeing ?

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Can't even wear my green lantern shirt anymore without some one making a comment.  

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@OmegaDynasty said:

Can't even wear my green lantern shirt anymore without some one making a comment.

Oh man sorry to hear that : (

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funrush

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Well I don't really care if Alan Scott is now gay. But I still like DC to find a way to bring Jade back. Oh of topic I got Earth 2 #2 cost me 6 dallars.

$6? Damn... where'd you get it from that charged you that much?

On topic: I'm fine with him being gay, but I'm angry they made the change. Firstly, because it destroys so much of his continuity that due to the sexual orientation change, he can never get back. Secondly, with all the publicity and crap it got, and DC influenced, it is extremely obvious it's a total publicity stunt. That's why it pisses me off that DC made him gay.

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@Funrush said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

On topic: I'm fine with him being gay, but I'm angry they made the change. Firstly, because it destroys so much of his continuity that due to the sexual orientation change, he can never get back. Secondly, with all the publicity and crap it got, and DC influenced, it is extremely obvious it's a total publicity stunt. That's why it pisses me off that DC made him gay.

I got it from frank and son's.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Funrush

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

@Funrush said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Ah, man... that's really expensive for a two month old book. You'd think they'd wait a bit before hiking up the price. XD

Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@Funrush said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

@Funrush said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

Ah, man... that's really expensive for a two month old book. You'd think they'd wait a bit before hiking up the price. XD

Well the reason they sold it for 6 dallars is because they said it was controversial. But its ok. I also got 3 issues of Ka-Zar for 50 cents apeace.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

@ratman19: Yeah, I think lots of folks out there might think Hal is they gay one. They probably don't even know Alan Scott exist nor do they care.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By SoA

as a GL fan im okay with Alan Scott being gay, actually im indifferent do not really care, as long as he is kicking butt

krilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By krilling

Meh..I can't like it.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By jobiwankenobi

I don't care if a character was originally gay or anything or if it was revealed early on that they were gay. But when you change the character. That's when I have a problem. I HATE it when characters are changed just to get attention on them. I also hate it when dead characters are brought back or when a character's powers change. i like things to stay consistent. If I miss one issue where something changes, then I have no idea what's going on later.