Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Edited By MadeinBangladesh

THIS IS FROM http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/24/gotham-fan-theory_n_6041362.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

THE THEORY

Redditor Cohencide first points out that the Cobblepot on the show is not the traditional Penguin we've grown accustom to in the "Batman" franchise. He's not short and fat; he's got an umbrella, but he hasn't shown any extreme love of birds; and he's not a master burglar.

The theory continues saying that the version of the Penguin on "Gotham" is tall and thin, he's more of a gangster than a burglar and he's a "psychotic mass murderer who sometimes poisons people," which sounds more like Joker's traits than those of the Penguin.

Plus, he's got that nifty green and purple suit.

No Caption Provided

The biggest breakthrough in the theory is that "Gotham" has already made it clear Oswald Cobblepot is supposed to be dead.

In the series, Jim Gordon actually helped the Penguin fake his death by intentionally missing him with a shot and pushing him off of a dock. Reddit explains how this fact will help Cobblepot set himself up to be the Joker:

He knows that with such an unusual name it's bound to get back to Fish Mooney that someone named Oswald Cobblepot is still in Gotham. So he hires a short fat kid to go around telling people his name is Oswald Cobblepot. This kid idolizes the Joker so he does everything he can to be more like him. He dresses like him, he walks like him, he carries an umbrella just like him.

The theory states that this would allow the real Cobblepot to take on the identity of the Red Hood, one of Joker's origin stories. In that storyline, Joker first conceals his identity by wearing a red costume and then ends up falling in chemicals to escape Batman, becoming disfigured and later coming back as the Joker.

INTERESTING..............

What you guys think?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rogueshadow  Moderator

I read this a couple of days ago. I still think it's ridiculous.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By serrure

im not sure how to handle this new info

but HAWKEYE

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rogueshadow said:

Especially since the producers already said a potential Joker appears in every episode.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Interesting but too far fetched to happen. Would make for a beastly season finale plot twist tho!

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'm not a big fan of it, while I haven't watched Gotham, one of the things that I appreciated was that I heard they were giving special focus to Oswald Copplepot. This is important because with the exception of a few bits in Batman:TAS, he really hasn't been portrayed well at all in anything that doesn't involve the comics. So it was good to see him get some attention.

But if they're just going to turn this Oswald into the Joker, a character who ALREADY HAS PLENTY OF MEMORABLE APPEARANCES OUTSIDE OF THE BATMAN COMICS, it's a completely wasted opportunity to build interest in a member of Batman's Rogue's gallery that's not named Joker. It's essentially a smack in the face to the Penguin.

However, at the end of the day, I don't think that this Oswald will be the Joker.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

No

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah because the joker walks like a f**king penguin.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Wat.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Hmmm.....

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not. I'd be alright with a Red Hood but the Joker isn't supposed to exist until after Batman. And we've already had enough of the Joker now anyways.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloakx14

i don't believe it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@madeinbangladesh: It is certainly an interesting theory, and if it played out that way, I wouldn't scrunch my nose too much, but Cobblepot could just as easily be the Red Hood without becoming the Joker. The Red Hood identity was passed on from one criminal to another in some pre-52 canon, I believe. Wobbly bobbly timey wimey blah blah nyuck nyuck?

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their Cobblepot is actually kinda short contrary to what the article says, and he waddles when he walks and all. He might just put on weight when he grows up, lots of people do.

Anyways if they make him into the Joker I'm not even gunna bother watching the show anymore. They shouldn't even introduce the Joker. Why does everything at all Batman related have to become all about the Joker?

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By deadcool_XD

Great idea, but over thought. Superhero and Villains always have different origin stories, maybe this time the penguin is thin and that's that.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

The theory doesn't really make any sense, and feels like a grasping at straws type of thinking

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

nope, joker doesn't hobble like a penguin

he's shorter than most the gangster thugs, and he'll probably get fat after he's sucessful and while batman trains

he planned the heist that made him manager for maroni

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheComedian_

@rogueshadow said:

Especially since the producers already said a potential Joker appears in every episode.

I hope not. I'd be alright with a Red Hood but the Joker isn't supposed to exist until after Batman. And we've already had enough of the Joker now anyways.

@eyedcyou said:

Wat.

livefastest13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is so insane..... DC really needs to step up the story lines of there shows. DC has a habit of ruining there shows excluding Smallville and Arrow which were successful. Gotham reminds me of the Birds of Prey series which sucked. I understand there changing things up but the writers are going way to far if they fall threw with this and I would be shocked if DC really thinks this is a good idea for the story-line. Gotham has a lot of potential but this will ruin the series if you ask me!!!

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@black_arrow said:

Yeah because the joker walks like a f**king penguin.

Watched Usual Suspects? That being said, I don't reckon it's actually Joker.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This kids is why Reptilian drugs are bad for you kids

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This kids is why Reptilian drugs are bad for you kids.

The Moar You Know!!!

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Utter crap.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The theory continues saying that the version of the Penguin on "Gotham" is tall and thin, he's more of a gangster than a burglar and he's a "psychotic mass murderer who sometimes poisons people,"which sounds more like Joker's traits than those of the Penguin.

The bolded parts are actually more Penguin traits than Joker traits in the comics. The bolded/italicized parts describe both. Plus Joker is much more theatrical.I think the stand-up comic from the first episode entertaining Fish Mooney is a much better Joker candidate. But we'll never know, as part of Joker's character is no one knows anything about his past. @livefastest13 DC doesn't do any of those shows, they're CW and Fox, using DC characters. It's okay if you don't like them or whatever, but place the blame on the appropriate people.