Good Always Wins?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

I have heard this theory that "Good Always Wins" in comics, more than once. But as I just pointed out in another thread that can't possibly be true. What are some examples you can think of where this doesn't hold true?

I had Spider-Man first attempt at being a hero, he failed.

Captain America's death

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Methos

read Hitman or Preacher, Death of Superman... Crisis on Infinite Earths (Death of Supergirl & Flash)

for more gray examples...

The Authority, Zero Hour, Final Night...

M

Crimson Orchid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crimson Orchid

That phrase rarely exists in real life sadly. I think that's why it's written so often into fiction.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

Emerald Twilight / Zero Hour / Final Night is an amazing look at the gray area of good always wins...

if you actually read it, and take into context all the trouble that Hal has gone through, and what he's lost... i found myself actually agreeing with what he did in Zero Hour. all he wanted to do was put everything right, fix the problems of the universe and bring back the millions of people who had died in Coast City...

was that wrong of him?

M

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Martian

Back in Black, Avengers Disassembled, WWH(So far), etc

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Methos had some good ones. Also, the entire Sleeper series, Down, I Am Legend (since they made it a comic), Aliens vs Stormwatch, and more. You're more likely to get a story where good loses in a miniseries or a self contained story cuz in longer series good usually comes back in the end in order to keep people happy and reading. For example, in DoS, Supes died, civilians died, but eventually Supes comes back.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

an amazing one is Authority Coup De' Tat, that one i highly recommend if you're interested in the Good / Gray / Evil question...

did they go too far? or didn't they go far enough?

M

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Nobody says:

"Back in Black, Avengers Disassembled, WWH(So far), etc"

You can always just list events because events are based around conflict (more drastic or far-reaching than normal stories) and of course in the midst of the conflict it doesn't look good for the heroes, that's the point.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Martian

Buckshot says:

"Nobody says:
"Back in Black, Avengers Disassembled, WWH(So far), etc"
You can always just list events because events are based around conflict (more drastic or far-reaching than normal stories) and of course in the midst of the conflict it doesn't look good for the heroes, that's the point. "
Very true.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

oh, one more i forgot...

Batman: NoMans Land

thats a really good one, dealing with the fact of Batman refusing to ask for help after the earthquake. he basically tells the entire JLA to keep out of Gotham while he deals with it... even though, this is something he can't beat...

M

Avatar image for legendary_bio_vishanti
Legendary Bio Vishanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uhmmm, the fact that if evil wins, it only lasts for 1 episode/book.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Legendary Bio Vishanti says:

"uhmmm, the fact that if evil wins, it only lasts for 1 episode/book."

Have you read any of the books mentioned?

Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hagane Enna

There's also the whole House of M series. Granted there are some seriously insane and, in some opnions, evil people involved but in the end good dod not necessarily win. Neither did evil.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Apparition

good didnt win in death of superman?? superman sacrificed his life to stop doomsday. isn't that a win?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warlock360

Good always wins.

because there has to be a winner in the end.

Good and evil is a personal aspect. Good & evil are relative u fighting a guy would make urself the good guy... (at least in ur eyes) but for him UR the bad guy.

so actually WE'RE ALL in the grey area...

anyways yes good always wins because the guy that wins saw/sees himself as the good guy

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sparda

Warlock360 says:

"#YES! Good always wins. because there has to be a winner in the end. Good and evil is a personal aspect. Good & evil are relative u fighting a guy would make urself the good guy... (at least in ur eyes) but for him UR the bad guy. so actually WE'RE ALL in the grey area... anyways yes good always wins because the guy that wins saw/sees himself as the good guy"

That's a good point......most villains believe that they are the righteous ones compared to the heros.

A good gray example is V For Vendetta.....you really don't know if it's a win for the good guys, or just something that's going to lead to more crap. Of course, the movie (Freaking awesome) symbolized it so that it seemed more of a win for the good guys.