Godzilla: Monster Planet Thread.

Shin_Godzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Godzilla: Monster Planet Thread. (17 votes)

Excellent 6%
Good 76%
Regular 12%
Boring 6%
Bad 0%

It was good i mean.. im not a big fan of 3dcgi but i went open minded not with hate to it and enjoyed it. The unexpected plotwist was awesome and left some mystery for the 2nd and 3rd. Liked it and will rewatch it no doubt.

(Spoilers Allowed In This Article!)

The Godzilla Anime film "GODZILLA: Monster Planet/Planet of the Monsters" has been out on Netflix's streaming service for a while now. And no doubt many kaiju fans have experienced it by now since its worldwide release, and we're hugely curious, to those who have watched, what are your thoughts and reviews of "Part 1" of the Godzilla Anime Trilogy!

Was it enjoyable? Was it good? Was it so-so? Was it disappointing? The floor is opened! Just be mindful and respectful of each others opinions. Spoilers will be allowed, so for those who have not watched the film, avoid this particular post and come back to it when you have experienced the movie.

Comment below and sound off! :D

• 
Sea-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely different, shock value easily equal to Shin Godzilla but the story dragged from the beginning like most movies or stories but you're reeled back in outta curiosity and it starts to only get better... I'm a big anime watcher, an originalGodzilla fan and the two come together nicely but it leaves you yearning for so much more... let's see how part 2 and 3 goes??? So far I'm gonna say 8 1/2-10

But the Godzilla surprise was off the charts alone tho... couldn't ask for more...

left me like, dayum they got him, WTF!!!???????then whooooooweeeeee... that entrance... "run" que that stupid vine music... ???

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shin_godzilla: Haven't watched it yet, but I am intrigued by a modern Godzilla anime. How 3D/CGI is it though? Though it works for some anime, I'm honestly not a huge fan of it either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think possibly the "aliens" looking pretty much exactly like humans was done as an homage to classic Godzilla aliens.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@user_gx: Thanks. Some of the character movements can look slightly stiff at times (my usual complaint with that type of animation), but Godzilla looks amazing imo.

Kaiju_Gator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fine start and the next episode will make or break it.

Maestro-KG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it. That ending brought tears to my eyes as a Godzilla fan. How could it not?

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first part of Toho's animated Godzilla trilogy was an amazing, intriguing, and thrilling science fiction/action flick from start to finish.

People seem to insist on calling this movie boring, just as they called Shin Godzilla boring. I disagreed then and I disagree now. The characters in this movie, while admittedly, are not supremely deep, are great in their simplicity. They're fairly straight forward. This, in my mind, is fine, as the human characters in the Godzilla series have never been overly known for their depth. The characters are status quo for the franchise, so really, no surprise there. There is, I must add, not a single Ford Brody among them, which means they're not blank nothings.

If it's all the human interaction in the beginning that has you apparently bored to tears, it was all necessary to get to the meat of the story. You HAVE to know how the characters got to where they are and what they're doing and why. Otherwise, we'll have approximately 10 minutes of Godzilla just doing... stuff. Besides... this was far from boring. It kind of reminded me of Star Trek, where the crew mills about on the ship, discuss the conflict at hand via techno-babble pseudo-science, and then, the action happens. You have to set things up. You can't just jump into the monster scenes. That's makes for a poor story.

Once they arrive on Earth, it's almost all action from start to finish. Between the Servum creatures and the battles with Godzilla, it's actually pretty intense action. The score of the film really drives this fact home, flowing perfectly with the action in the movie.

No, this is not your typical Godzilla movie. Far from it. It's a very different kind of movie with a different kind of Godzilla. I've seen that many G-fans don't like anime. Well, this is an anime film through and through. Sure, if anime's not your thing then this movie won't be either. I can understand that.

But boring? If the movie is boring AT ALL (which it isn't.) it's not until about 10 minutes in and then, once they arrive on Earth, it's both intriguing and exciting.

Godzilla: Monster Planet has decently established characters, intense action scenes, appealing cel-shaded animation, and a King of Destruction which stands out among different variations of a long-standing franchise. Maybe it doesn't satisfy everyone, but boring is definitely not the word for this movie. Like, Shin Godzilla before it, it's definitely a Godzilla movie that makes you use your head just a little more than others.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sirfizzwhizz  Online

The Good

• The Human story was interesting actually. The idea of humans in desperate straits in space, along with two alien allies who got in the same straits was a neat twist. The main characters story was more driven than most GZ movies main human character by far.
  • The sci fi edge was done well and the lore to the sci fi was nothing crazy. It was done well.
  • Godzilla was very different from the others in origin and powers, but similar enough to most versions of Godzilla at the same time. Nice balance of old and new.
  • The plot twist was a good one.
  • The action was enjoyable enough.
  • I really like the very detailed and tactical story rout. The intricate info and little details of the plan to take back the planet was shown effort put in by writers. I liked that while others I know did not. Most GZ films are mindless action and non logical plans. So its a nice change for once.

The Bad

• The 2D/CGI art was not the best quality.
  • The lack of other monsters in a movie called Planet of Monsters is a strike against it.
  • The canon prequel novel of the movie is only in Japanese and not translated yet. Like wtf Toho?

Overall a enjoyable addition.

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sirfizzwhizz  Online
Avatar image for solomonthenotsowise
SolomonTheNotSoWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked Shin Godzilla better but this was a fine film. Think I would have liked it more if i got to see it in a theater.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen it yet as I do not have Netflix. Is there any way to watch it elsewhere?

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sirfizzwhizz  Online
MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it. I really enjoyed it. I found the human story to actually be quite compelling. The idea that they needed to retake Earth is very interesting, and while the protagonist was a bit Shonen-y he wasn't unbearable. The big reveal at the end was really neat too, and the end-credits scene has me super excited for more!

My main complaint is that the three species aren't distinct enough. There are the humans, the religious zealots, and a second alien species that I honestly couldn't differentiate from the other two.

I also feel like Godzilla himself is some of the weakest CGI in the movie, which is strange. But he barely moves and he doesn't quite look like he belongs in the same screen as the rest of the CGI around him, at least to me.

Beyond that, I liked it more than I thought I would. Definitely want to see the next one.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

It was okay. I like it but the animation isn't for me and I hope they stop with the CGi fully Animated Series.

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shin_godzilla: @gojira2512: Anyone know when the novel will be translated :/

Unfortunetly No, there is not going to be a Official Translation but I have the most interesting parts about it.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sirfizzwhizz  Online

@sirfizzwhizz said:

@shin_godzilla: @gojira2512: Anyone know when the novel will be translated :/

Unfortunetly No, there is not going to be a Official Translation but I have the most interesting parts about it.

Are you able to translate the better parts?

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers