• 75 results
Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

While many fans were hoping to see Transformers and GI Joe have a cross-over film, that doesn't seem to be happening, at least not yet. However, it looks like GI Joe will be crossing over with other Hasbro properties according to EW. This larger cinematic world will contain Hasbro properties such as Micronauts, ROM, M.A.S.K. and Visionaries, all of which were toy lines and cartoons during the 1980s.

“Paramount and Hasbro have had a longstanding relationship and we’re proud of the success we’ve enjoyed on the Transformers and G.I. Joe franchises,” Paramount Pictures CEO Brad Grey said. “We’re excited to grow our agreement and make even more movies based upon these popular and powerful Hasbro characters and their worlds.”

The plan is to get some top tier creative talent for this expanded universe but there's no news yet on when the first crossover film will happen.

Staff
#1 Edited by NightFang3 (12363 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Hasbro crossover that fans and mass audiences would actually want to see is G.I. Joe/Transformers.

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
#2 Posted by GermanComicIdiot (68 posts) - - Show Bio

The first GI Joe was probably the worst movie i´ve ever seen and Green Lantern was just on TV last week.

#3 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36840 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a GI vs Transformers movie!! We don't give a damn about anything else. I wanna see snake eyes beat Megatron or Star Scream!!!

#4 Edited by Dernman (26042 posts) - - Show Bio

How about you just make better movies with the universe you got instead of trying to combine them.

That first movie was terrible and because you screwed it up some of the bigger characters of GI Joe are unusable.

Also for fans sake get that GI Joe feeling back. Something that was absent from both movies even if the second one was better.

Less splash and blitz. Take more care.

#5 Posted by Farkam (12036 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#6 Edited by Comicdude360 (3245 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: unfortunately people love mindless cgi characters fighting no matter how bad the movie is.

#7 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh GI Joe... a movie series seemingly dedicated to showcasing the many ways of destroying a European metropolis.

And Transformers; proving that weed doesn't die easily... neither does Bay's career sadly.

#8 Posted by SaintWildcard (21840 posts) - - Show Bio

WOnder when My Little Pony will be introduced?

#9 Posted by rogueshadow (29360 posts) - - Show Bio

Good, because the Rock vs Giant Robots is about the only thing that would get my arse in a seat for these films.

#10 Posted by dan12456 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

I love shared universes, but really?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
#11 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

All I can say is? YES!! ESPECIALLY TO ROM!!!!

No Caption Provided

75 issues of some of Marvel's best writing, nay some of the best space opera you could find outside of Star Wars, even IF the toy it was based on was total crap!!!

#12 Posted by Lantern1210 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be down for a M.A.S.K. movie. One of my favorite cartoons growing up. (I know I just dated myself lol)

#13 Posted by jwalser3 (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasbroverse" How gross.

#14 Posted by Heatforce (6265 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh GI Joe... a movie series seemingly dedicated to showcasing the many ways of destroying a European metropolis.

And Transformers; proving that weed doesn't shouldn't die easily... neither does Bay's career sadly.

fixed

Hey you need that stuff to get through the Transformer films :)

#15 Posted by Bad_People (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Transformers are still coming off the shelves. They want movie tie-ins for products they want to sell again or want to sell better.

#16 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18324 posts) - - Show Bio

I only care about a well made Micronauts. Something along the lines of GoTG with a little less humor. Not likely, but I can dream :)

#17 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I had watched any of those cartoons as a kid. How about a GI Joe\Thundercats movie? I'd be down for that.

#18 Posted by mangakid1995 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds like an awful idea and a horrible waste of time but I just can't get over the fact that we might see a Rom movie.

#19 Posted by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not as stupid of an idea as the Robin Hood cinematic universe.

#20 Edited by comicace3 (12434 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn everybody is doing the shared universe thing now? This is.....freaking awesome! Hopefully it doesn't tank.

#21 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#23 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43234 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for GI Joe 3, it will have yet another entirely different cast.

#24 Posted by Owie (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

That is so crazy. I mean, Micronauts and Rom were actually very solid comics, with some of Marvel's most interesting writers on the time on them.

But how would that fit in with GI Joe?

And MASK? C'mon. I mean, I thought that was cool when I was 10 or whatever, but that is some majorly cheezeball stuff.

#25 Posted by KritikalMassX (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

After all of this and no one mentioned Inhumanoids?!?!

#26 Posted by RisingBean (9803 posts) - - Show Bio

Shared universes work when the source material is shared. Marvel and DC have reason for interconnectivity. Throwing a bunch of shit together will just be a bunch of shit.

Too bad, because I was hoping to get a better G.I. Joe that continued from the last, which was a step in the right direction.

#28 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: Basically took the words out of my mouth. Retaliation wasn't terrible, but it did kill off Duke who is pretty much THE GI Joe aside from Snake Eyes.

Hell just give me a Snake Eyes movie with nor narration since he can't talk. I'd be down for that.

#29 Posted by DonatelloRawks (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Hasbro crossover that fans and mass audiences would actually want to see is G.I. Joe/Transformers.

This. The only movies that actually proven to have a strong following.

Apparently the executives at Hasbro or something think that since that particular strategy worked for no-names like Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, it would work for their products too.... Something tells me that this isn't so straightforward.

Marvel Cinematic Universe had success with their first product Iron Man, which they skilfully start weaving more fantastical elements in it. It was part of their plan for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to exist in the first place.

This "Hasbro-verse" needs to have a strong, profitable product to stand on its own before it can start introducing other new linked products to it. Transformers should be that first product, not GI Joe.

#30 Posted by Lunacyde (28251 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make a damn Snake-Eyes movie and call it a day.

#31 Posted by RisingBean (9803 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: The first movie is a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed it, but I can see it as a movie that was setting the stage for later installments. My biggest gripe was just how quickly it ended. Cobra Commander is making a threat one second, in a cell the next. I'm also not a big fan of Duke dying, though I did hear rumor that Tatum's skyrocketing Hollywood value may allow for his return...somehow.

Retaliation, while not perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed. My only real complaints are Bruce Willis was unneeded and the lack of a decent final movie battle for ol' Snake Eye's was a letdown.

As far as the Silent Master getting his own film? I'm down. I'd probably cry like a baby by the time the credits roll. The origin stuff would be great.

Lastly for anybody interested, I dug up an article I'd read a year back. It may help explain why this cash grab idea of Hasbro's may be a bad one.

#32 Edited by Tyger (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't most of those properties happen on different planets or in different times?

Except for GI Joe, MASK, and Transformers, they just aren't a shared setting.

#33 Posted by NightFang3 (12363 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: I've always thought a Snake Eyes origin prequel movie could be cool.

@donatellorawks: At this point Hasbro and Paramount just need to reboot both series and plan for 2 movies each leading to the crossover movie.

#34 Posted by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmmmm

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#35 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

When will this cinematic universe craze end?

#36 Edited by DamoMinimus (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, the most underwhelming announcement ever. Also, two movies is a "franchise" now? Do me a favour!

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#37 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11673 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully never. I'm sick of seeing heroes/characters alone, knowing that there are other heroes in their universe.

#38 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: I mainly was refering to how studios are all rushing to build cinematic universes like the Robin Hood Cinematic Universe, Universal Monster Cinematic Universe, King Arthur Cinematic Universe and several others in development.

#39 Posted by WAM-Hope (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@dan12456 said:

I love shared universes, but really?

Amen. Though honestly, the only experience I have with G.I Joe is Sigma 6 and the movies, so sadly I can't give an objective answer to the critics about them.

But I agree, despite my love for shared universe, I would like that they do better jobs first.

#40 Edited by NightFang3 (12363 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkdetective27 said:

Probably when superheroe movies stop making money then studios will rethink their cinematic universe ideas.

#41 Posted by SoA (6246 posts) - - Show Bio

...yay?

#42 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by nappystr8 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been wanting Transformers and GI Joe to crossover for years. Or Transformers and Fast and Furious, either way.

#44 Edited by DonatelloRawks (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:
@darkdetective27 said:

Hopefully never. I'm sick of seeing heroes/characters alone, knowing that there are other heroes in their universe.

I don't see a downside to the idea of a cinematic universe.

Because even if the shared continuity film (e.g.: Avengers) failed in practice for a particular cinematic universe, standalone films (e.g.: Iron Man, Hulk, etc) can still succeed on their own. This strategy offers diversification of revenue streams on a new level.

The only near-downside I can argue is the inconsistent writing and continuity issues, but that's actually a minor issue that most people are willing to overlook. Case in point: X-Men film series.

#45 Posted by pikahyper (18414 posts) - - Show Bio

One more step towards a live action Dino Riders movie, come on Dino Riders !!!! after the success of Jurassic World the planet needs Dino Riders :D

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#46 Posted by The Impersonator (8485 posts) - - Show Bio

Just keep them separate.

Also, the G.I.Joe and Transformers films are bad. Why make it worse?

#47 Posted by DonatelloRawks (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

Just keep them separate.

Transformers film make billions in box office. Its bad only in the perspective of the minority.

#48 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

This shared universe thing is getting out of control...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#49 Posted by The Impersonator (8485 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_impersonator said:

Just keep them separate.

Transformers film make billions in box office. Its bad only in the perspective of the minority.

I know.

#50 Edited by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

When a mediocre franchise meets a terrible franchise...