• 71 results
ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ComedicAmon

George Lucas simply copied from Frank Herbert's Dune.Tim Weber goes in depth the similarities between Dune and Star Wars. Weber reveals that Lucas was turned down by the studio because the original script was a copy of Dune. Georgie hired Gary Kurtz to rewrite the script because Lucas committed an act of plagiarism. I will post just a few of the similarities.

No Caption Provided

If you want the similarities in depth.Here is the PDF link of Tim Weber.

http://scytale.name/files/doc/essays/dune-starwars/dune-starwars.pdf

The sad thing is that Lucas act of plagiarism does not extend to only Dune, but other works as well. An example of that being French Scifi Comic called Valerian and Laureline. You can see he ripoff lots of ideas. source: https://nothingbutcomics.net/2015/12/14/valerian/

You may be wondering why I did this post? I did this post to show that George Lucas is a hack. Stop supporting Star Wars. The science fiction writers who Lucas stole from. Had a clear vision. George Lucas never cared about Star Wars. He is more concerned about money than the legacy of Star Wars. George Lucas never read any of the expanded universe.If he has read the expanded universe. Lucas would been ashamed what he has done.

But...He simply doesn't care.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By agent9149

You do know that its' extremely common for movies to borrow and redo scenes from older movies.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Some pretty riveting and novel stuff you got there.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do know that its' extremely common for movies to borrow and redo scenes from older movies.

Doesn't make it right. Not at all.

Beata

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those comparisons are surface level at best. Have you even read Dune? The stories are so dramatically different that I'm not even going to justify this ridiculous thread with a nuanced reply.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jgames

If you want to convince people George Lucas is a hack, just show them Jar Jar Blink.

No Caption Provided

See I did what your post try to do with 10 minutes video, with just one picture.

Also to be fair there lots of innovation he did in the Star Wars Trilogy. Also some of his work in other movies like Labyrinth are impressive. Also seriously is 2016 how much George Lucas is a hack do we need. Don't you know is all about hating on Zack Snyder and ignoring any of his accomplishment. Get with the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second video compares the Little Rascals race to the pod race in Phantom Menace......

Lol.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

George Lucas never said that he wasn't a hack.

And this form of movie-making is pretty common as noted above. Otherwise Tarantino would never have made a single movie.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By judasnixon

No Caption Provided
Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go watch the Hidden Fortress sometime, it's good. Then you'll see something that Star Wars follows far more closely than dune.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThePreface

You know that the whole concept of the Darkside was a ripoff of DC's Darkseid?

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

which mutlibillion dollar franchis have you written?

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow I lost all my respect for this man, what a disgrace, but if he gives a couple million I will forgive and forget.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ok, I'm still gonna watch Star Wars

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spambot

Its sort of a rule in any creative field that the more knowledge you have in that field the more sources and inspiration you have to draw upon. No great work is ever just created out of whole cloth. It is generally taken from many different things which were done before it and patched together according to the vision of the writer/director. Lucas drew upon his knowledge of cinema, pulp and books like Dune. Herbert drew from his knowledge of religion, myth, history, Shakespeare and his own life. Shakespeare drew from the Greek tragedies and history. On and on it goes. If you read more of the site from which the Dune/Star wars comparison posted above is taken from you will see how it works. http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent9149 said:

Beata

IT doesn't make it wrong. It's a common practice that everyone uses even big name directors. Some directors find it a big honor.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not about who did it first but who did it best.

Plus G. Lucas was the one who made Ahsoka be Anakin's padawan instead of Obi-Wan's, so all is forgiven.

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, people have been doing stuff like this since ancient mythology.

Copying stories is, like, simple.

And, Star Wars is awesome.

If it was a Dune movie instead, I'm certain I'd love it just as much. But nope. Haven't read Dune, so... Yeah.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson said:
@agent9149 said:

Beata

IT doesn't make it wrong. It's a common practice that everyone uses even big name directors. Some directors find it a big honor.

You're confusing paying homage and taking inspiration from with Plagirism.

Beata

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: It's so obvious you don't know what you are talking about. Directors copy shots, steal shots, reinvent shots all the time. There are countless examples of this.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: It's so obvious you don't know what you are talking about. Directors copy shots, steal shots, reinvent shots all the time. There are countless examples of this.

No Caption Provided

I'll say it again, plenty of artists pay homage to movies and other works of fiction. I write stories, and alot of my characters are based off of other fictional characters and people i know in my daily life. So i'm fully aware of the whole taking inspiration thing. But that is not the same thing as plagirizing. What's so hard to understand about that? And countless examples or not it's still wrong.

Beata

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Those are laughably terrible. Most of those comparisons are vague and superficial at best. I mean, Luke's training against the floating remote was ripping off someone slashing a sword at a dummy? Are you kidding me?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: If there was an actual case for plagiarism to be made against Lucas he would have already lost in court multiple times.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@jgames: What accomplishements has Zack Snyder ever made?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@spidey_jackson: If there was an actual case for plagiarism to be made against Lucas he would have already lost in court multiple times.

This doesn't really have anything to do with Lucas. My comments are referring to the practice in general.

Beata

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spambot

@spidey_jackson: I know but you accused Lucas of doing it by association and what I am saying is that if there was a case to be made for him plagiarizing anyone it would have been made in court by now since being able to prove it would be worth hundreds of millions of $. You may think it is ethically wrong but it doesn't meet the definition of plagiarism.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarthAznable

And JJ Abrams is continuing the tradition of recycling plot.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@spidey_jackson: I know but you accused Lucas of doing it by association and what I am saying is that if there was a case to be made for him plagiarizing anyone it would have been made in court by now since being able to prove it would be worth hundreds of millions of $. You may think it is ethically wrong but it doesn't meet the definition of plagiarism.

I never accused Lucas of doing anything. Not even by association. I just was stating that disagreed with that guy's standpoint on "artistic recycling." Although, to be fair, it's common knowledge that Lucas has took inspiration from many things to make Star wars. Which isn't a bad thing, and i'm not saying that it's plagirism, but i just don't agree with some of the responses in this thread in regard to it.

But let's be honest. There have been plenty of acts of plagirism in film history without any legal action taken.

Beata

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: You write stories I study films.I make films, I'm involved in the industry. What you're bringing up isn't considered plagiarism in the film industry. It's considered as paying a homage. Plagiarism film wise is something very different and specific. Those examples you brought up aren't plagiarism.

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ComedicAmon

It doesn't count because of the film industry. LOL

Here I posted the entire pdf article what Tim Weber did.

I quote:

Similarities between Dune and Star Wars by Tim Weber

“I know nothing comparable to it except Lord of the Rings.” – Arthur C. Clarke, author of 2001: A Space Odyssey, about Dune This quotation may be correct concerning the complexity of the world created by the author, but not regarding the story line. Actually there are several sources of inspiration for Frank Herbert, for example Greek and Muslim mythology and, of course, other science fiction novels by authors like Isaac Asimov and E.E. Smith. Some characters and story elements in Dune were also borrowed from Frank Herbert’s life (e.g. the Bene Gesserit refer to his mother and his ten matriarchal aunts, all being Jesuits; hear how close Gesserit comes to Jesuit?) or the real world. Herbert got inspired for Paul Muad’Dib by T.E. Lawrence (also known as Lawrence of Arabia) who led the Bedouins against the German-backed Turks (depicted by the Harkonnens) in World War One. There are hundreds of other references which are described on the web sites you can find in the appendix. But not everyone is as creative as Herbert, who at least diversified his sources. Since years there are ongoing discussions between fans of Dune and George Lucas’ Star Wars about to what extent the latter is a “rip-off” of Herbert’s work. I must admit that I am Dune fan and for that reason the position of the Star Wars fans will be not really well represented in this text. To be honest, I think that every person who thought at least a bit about the subject has to agree that Star Wars, at least the trilogy without the recent movies, is nothing but a thinly disguised carbon copy of Dune. The novel Dune was first published in 1965, Star Wars (the movie featuring Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford) came out in 1977. This fact is important, since it disarms people arguing that Dune actually was the copy. In this text I will prove that without the excellent work of Frank Herbert there would be no multi-million dollar Star Wars merchandise empire, starting with Yoda mugs and ending with eBay “original lightsaber from Episode I” auctions having closing bids of over a thousand dollars. In fact everything George Lucas did was to take Dune, modify it slightly and selling it as his own creation. Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 2 The easiest thing would be to list the differences in a two-column table and let it take effect, because the analogy is in most cases quite astonishing and obvious. But I am supposed to write a text, therefore I am going to write a text. Let us start by comparing the main characters in the two opuses. Luke Skywalker and Paul Atreides are the most similar characters. Both are quite young and the sons of powerful men, have biblical names and are linked biologically to the “bad guy” (Baron Harkonnen is Paul’s grandfather, Darth Vader alias Anakin Skywalker is Luke’s father). While Paul’s father dies on the desert planet Arrakis, Luke’s adoptive parents die on the desert planet Tatooine, both being murdered by the enemy. Paul and Luke discover the special powers they have as the “chosen ones” on their respective planets and fall in love with a mystery girl they never met. Both rebel against the current rulers of the universe and both win. Then there are the things Han Solo and Duncan Idaho, both ladies’ men and best friends of the hero, have in common. They are fighting for the “good side”, but are “bad boys” in a way (e.g. Han’s dubious deals and Duncan’s “drunken scene” at the beginning of Dune). Gurney Halleck is Paul’s mentor and first teacher, Obi-Wan Kenobi is Luke’s. Although Obi-Wan dies in the movie, he continues to help and advise Luke through visions. Gurney, thought to be dead, returns to do the same with Paul after he learned that he is still alive. Both are known to the parents of their charges, are expert fighters and would do anything for their follower, even die for them. Yoda and Thufir Hawat were both the best fighters around in their prime and have great mental abilities. They are major influences for the heroes and taught the heroes’ teachers (Halleck and Obi-Wan) as well. Princess Leia Organa and Chani/Irulan/Alia: Both Leia and Chani are strong women and have excellent fighting skills. All except Alia are related to the hero in some romantic way, all are powerful or at least close relatives to a powerful person (Chani is the daughter of Liet and the niece of Stilgar, Irulan is a princess and Alia is the sister of Paul Muad’Dib). Leia and Alia both fall in love with the “good bad guys” (Han Solo and Duncan Idaho) and are both captured and tortured by their grandfather (Leia by Darth Vader, Alia by the Baron1 ). The Emperors Palpatine and Shaddam are both evil and rose through manipulation and murder. They try (and fail) to kill the heroes, have relatives of them as followers and, as mentioned above, both of their empires fall. 1 Alia’s affair with Duncan and possession by the Baron happen in “Dune Messiah”. Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 3 Interesting analogies are also the “sand people”. Remember the small guys called “Jawas” vending the androids in the desert in Star Wars (by the way there is a sandworm skeleton in the background of one of their scenes), having glowing yellow eyes and the rest of their faces hidden by a hood? And then there are the Tuskan Raiders who attack Luke Skywalker, also in the desert of Tatooine, known to defend their territories from every stranger, even kill him if needed. The last group are the Jedi, great fighters and philosophers, but threatened by genocide from the Empire. Add these three peoples up and what you get is the Fremen. The Storm Troopers and the Sardaukar have also some things in common. Both are elite soldiers of the Emperor and their main tool in the stories. But in the end, they meet the forces of the hero and get beaten. The Jedi were already mentioned above, and maybe you would rather compare them with the Bene Gesserit. Why not? Both are ancient societies which at least claim to exist only to serve mankind, are expert fighters and affiliate only very well chosen people. They also have special supernatural abilities: To detect truth and to control minds. Do you remember that scene in Star Wars where Obi-Wan uses the Force to convince some storm troopers: “These are not the droids you want.” That looks a lot like the Voice, doesn’t it? Then take a look at the home planets of the heroes. Both are desert planets. Tatooine has got two suns, Arrakis two moons. And while Dune has its sandworms, on Tatooine there is a pit where a sandworm-like creature called the Sarlacc lives. The best weapons in their respective universe are the lightsaber and the Crysknife. Both are for elite persons only (Jedi in Star Wars, Fremen in Dune), mystical, incredibly effective and symbols of status. When we talk about weapons, we also have to talk about shields. In Dune, the shields have one weakness: Slowly moving objects can pass through them. In Star Wars, small objects can pass through them. One of the major differences between the two stories is that in Dune it is forbidden to create “thinking machines”, while Star Wars has computers and androids just like every other science fiction movie. In my opinion, this is mainly because of the popularity of computers in sci-fi movies and possibly also because George Lucas had to change the script (see below). If you are not satisfied by this evidence yet, I have some interesting quotations from people involved both in Star Wars and Dune. For example Frank Herbert himself Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 4 points out that David Lynch, director of the first Dune movie from 1984, “had trouble with the fact that Star Wars used up so much of Dune. We found sixteen points of identity between my novel and Star Wars.” Rick Austin, vice president of on-air for the Sci-Fi Channel said: “It really was, because Lucas realized you couldn’t really make a movie of Dune.” And if this still is not enough for you to believe that without Dune, there would actually be no Star Wars, I recommend this last piece of information to you: The original script for Star Wars was rejected by the studio because it was almost exactly the same story as Dune. George Lucas had to hire Gary Kurtz to help him re-write the script. Many drafts later they convinced the studio, that with this version they would not be sued for plagiarism by the Herbert Partnership. The fact that Star Wars is a copy of Dune, however, does not mean that not both opuses are great works of science fiction. Star Wars is more popular, more “main stream” (what I really dislike), while Dune is more creative and more intellectual. Everyone has to choose for his- or herself what he or she likes more. Bi-La Kaifa. source: Similarities between Dune & Star Wars/by Tim Weber/ 2002-2004. PDF Link http://scytale.name/files/doc/essays/dune-starwars/dune-starwars.pdf

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spambot

@spidey_jackson: ok, maybe I misread your intent but it seemed like you were saying that what Lucas has done would qualify. Also, I do think that if a case could be solidly made for Lucas doing so it would have been made since it would make the person involved extremely wealthy and no one who thought Lucas had made billions by stealing their work would be likely to stand by without taking action of some sort if they had a sound legal basis for doing so.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If copying people makes you a hack, then everything after Shakspere is some old bull****.

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@spidey_jackson: ok, maybe I misread your intent but it seemed like you were saying that what Lucas has done would qualify. Also, I do think that if a case could be solidly made for Lucas doing so it would have been made since it would make the person involved extremely wealthy and no one who thought Lucas had made billions by stealing their work would be likely to stand by without taking action of some sort.

The french comic writer was enraged. He tried to sue Lucas, because George Lucas has to much money he can't even to be sued. LOL.

Sources:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/a15532/heres-what-star-wars-took-from-valerian/

http://www.europecomics.com/a-model-for-star-wars/

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1979/03/the-man-who-made-star-wars/306228/

http://kitbashed.com/blog/valerian-and-laureline

The French Comic

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: George Lucas is not hack. This guy directed the Star Wars Prequels. The original trilogy Lucas had help making.

Here is a sample. Writers do steal, but George Lucas is a talent-less hack.

Loading Video...

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor:

@spambot said:

@spidey_jackson: ok, maybe I misread your intent but it seemed like you were saying that what Lucas has done would qualify. Also, I do think that if a case could be solidly made for Lucas doing so it would have been made since it would make the person involved extremely wealthy and no one who thought Lucas had made billions by stealing their work would be likely to stand by without taking action of some sort.

The french comic writer was enraged. He tried to sue Lucas, because George Lucas has to much money he can't even to be sued. LOL.

Sources:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/movies/a15532/heres-what-star-wars-took-from-valerian/

http://www.europecomics.com/a-model-for-star-wars/

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1979/03/the-man-who-made-star-wars/306228/

http://kitbashed.com/blog/valerian-and-laureline

The French Comic

It doesn't count because of the film industry. LOL

Here I posted the entire pdf article what Tim Weber did.

I quote:

Similarities between Dune and Star Wars by Tim Weber

“I know nothing comparable to it except Lord of the Rings.” – Arthur C. Clarke, author of 2001: A Space Odyssey, about Dune This quotation may be correct concerning the complexity of the world created by the author, but not regarding the story line. Actually there are several sources of inspiration for Frank Herbert, for example Greek and Muslim mythology and, of course, other science fiction novels by authors like Isaac Asimov and E.E. Smith. Some characters and story elements in Dune were also borrowed from Frank Herbert’s life (e.g. the Bene Gesserit refer to his mother and his ten matriarchal aunts, all being Jesuits; hear how close Gesserit comes to Jesuit?) or the real world. Herbert got inspired for Paul Muad’Dib by T.E. Lawrence (also known as Lawrence of Arabia) who led the Bedouins against the German-backed Turks (depicted by the Harkonnens) in World War One. There are hundreds of other references which are described on the web sites you can find in the appendix. But not everyone is as creative as Herbert, who at least diversified his sources. Since years there are ongoing discussions between fans of Dune and George Lucas’ Star Wars about to what extent the latter is a “rip-off” of Herbert’s work. I must admit that I am Dune fan and for that reason the position of the Star Wars fans will be not really well represented in this text. To be honest, I think that every person who thought at least a bit about the subject has to agree that Star Wars, at least the trilogy without the recent movies, is nothing but a thinly disguised carbon copy of Dune. The novel Dune was first published in 1965, Star Wars (the movie featuring Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford) came out in 1977. This fact is important, since it disarms people arguing that Dune actually was the copy. In this text I will prove that without the excellent work of Frank Herbert there would be no multi-million dollar Star Wars merchandise empire, starting with Yoda mugs and ending with eBay “original lightsaber from Episode I” auctions having closing bids of over a thousand dollars. In fact everything George Lucas did was to take Dune, modify it slightly and selling it as his own creation. Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 2 The easiest thing would be to list the differences in a two-column table and let it take effect, because the analogy is in most cases quite astonishing and obvious. But I am supposed to write a text, therefore I am going to write a text. Let us start by comparing the main characters in the two opuses. Luke Skywalker and Paul Atreides are the most similar characters. Both are quite young and the sons of powerful men, have biblical names and are linked biologically to the “bad guy” (Baron Harkonnen is Paul’s grandfather, Darth Vader alias Anakin Skywalker is Luke’s father). While Paul’s father dies on the desert planet Arrakis, Luke’s adoptive parents die on the desert planet Tatooine, both being murdered by the enemy. Paul and Luke discover the special powers they have as the “chosen ones” on their respective planets and fall in love with a mystery girl they never met. Both rebel against the current rulers of the universe and both win. Then there are the things Han Solo and Duncan Idaho, both ladies’ men and best friends of the hero, have in common. They are fighting for the “good side”, but are “bad boys” in a way (e.g. Han’s dubious deals and Duncan’s “drunken scene” at the beginning of Dune). Gurney Halleck is Paul’s mentor and first teacher, Obi-Wan Kenobi is Luke’s. Although Obi-Wan dies in the movie, he continues to help and advise Luke through visions. Gurney, thought to be dead, returns to do the same with Paul after he learned that he is still alive. Both are known to the parents of their charges, are expert fighters and would do anything for their follower, even die for them. Yoda and Thufir Hawat were both the best fighters around in their prime and have great mental abilities. They are major influences for the heroes and taught the heroes’ teachers (Halleck and Obi-Wan) as well. Princess Leia Organa and Chani/Irulan/Alia: Both Leia and Chani are strong women and have excellent fighting skills. All except Alia are related to the hero in some romantic way, all are powerful or at least close relatives to a powerful person (Chani is the daughter of Liet and the niece of Stilgar, Irulan is a princess and Alia is the sister of Paul Muad’Dib). Leia and Alia both fall in love with the “good bad guys” (Han Solo and Duncan Idaho) and are both captured and tortured by their grandfather (Leia by Darth Vader, Alia by the Baron1 ). The Emperors Palpatine and Shaddam are both evil and rose through manipulation and murder. They try (and fail) to kill the heroes, have relatives of them as followers and, as mentioned above, both of their empires fall. 1 Alia’s affair with Duncan and possession by the Baron happen in “Dune Messiah”. Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 3 Interesting analogies are also the “sand people”. Remember the small guys called “Jawas” vending the androids in the desert in Star Wars (by the way there is a sandworm skeleton in the background of one of their scenes), having glowing yellow eyes and the rest of their faces hidden by a hood? And then there are the Tuskan Raiders who attack Luke Skywalker, also in the desert of Tatooine, known to defend their territories from every stranger, even kill him if needed. The last group are the Jedi, great fighters and philosophers, but threatened by genocide from the Empire. Add these three peoples up and what you get is the Fremen. The Storm Troopers and the Sardaukar have also some things in common. Both are elite soldiers of the Emperor and their main tool in the stories. But in the end, they meet the forces of the hero and get beaten. The Jedi were already mentioned above, and maybe you would rather compare them with the Bene Gesserit. Why not? Both are ancient societies which at least claim to exist only to serve mankind, are expert fighters and affiliate only very well chosen people. They also have special supernatural abilities: To detect truth and to control minds. Do you remember that scene in Star Wars where Obi-Wan uses the Force to convince some storm troopers: “These are not the droids you want.” That looks a lot like the Voice, doesn’t it? Then take a look at the home planets of the heroes. Both are desert planets. Tatooine has got two suns, Arrakis two moons. And while Dune has its sandworms, on Tatooine there is a pit where a sandworm-like creature called the Sarlacc lives. The best weapons in their respective universe are the lightsaber and the Crysknife. Both are for elite persons only (Jedi in Star Wars, Fremen in Dune), mystical, incredibly effective and symbols of status. When we talk about weapons, we also have to talk about shields. In Dune, the shields have one weakness: Slowly moving objects can pass through them. In Star Wars, small objects can pass through them. One of the major differences between the two stories is that in Dune it is forbidden to create “thinking machines”, while Star Wars has computers and androids just like every other science fiction movie. In my opinion, this is mainly because of the popularity of computers in sci-fi movies and possibly also because George Lucas had to change the script (see below). If you are not satisfied by this evidence yet, I have some interesting quotations from people involved both in Star Wars and Dune. For example Frank Herbert himself Similarities between Dune and Star Wars Tim Weber, English advanced course 2002-2004 Page 4 points out that David Lynch, director of the first Dune movie from 1984, “had trouble with the fact that Star Wars used up so much of Dune. We found sixteen points of identity between my novel and Star Wars.” Rick Austin, vice president of on-air for the Sci-Fi Channel said: “It really was, because Lucas realized you couldn’t really make a movie of Dune.” And if this still is not enough for you to believe that without Dune, there would actually be no Star Wars, I recommend this last piece of information to you: The original script for Star Wars was rejected by the studio because it was almost exactly the same story as Dune. George Lucas had to hire Gary Kurtz to help him re-write the script. Many drafts later they convinced the studio, that with this version they would not be sued for plagiarism by the Herbert Partnership. The fact that Star Wars is a copy of Dune, however, does not mean that not both opuses are great works of science fiction. Star Wars is more popular, more “main stream” (what I really dislike), while Dune is more creative and more intellectual. Everyone has to choose for his- or herself what he or she likes more. Bi-La Kaifa. source: Similarities between Dune & Star Wars/by Tim Weber/ 2002-2004. PDF Link http://scytale.name/files/doc/essays/dune-starwars/dune-starwars.pdf

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Spambot

@comedicamon: From what I read in one of those articles the creator of the French comic wasn't enraged at all. He was happy to see what Lucas had done and glad he had an influence on it but just wishes Lucas had expressed some degree of recognition for the influence his comic likely had on star wars. It didn't mention anything about him trying to sue Lucas and another article didn't mention the comic at all that I could see. It just mentioned how Lucas in the late 60's knew some fellow cinema students who were into comics and may have kindled an interest for the artform in Lucas.

The_BladeWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_BladeWolf
No Caption Provided

Lucas has his own videogaming counterpart: Hideo Kojima and his MGS series.

Dude pretty much ripped off a shitload of 80s action movies concepts/ideas for his fanfiction level stories and characters. He cant even keep a coherent overarching storyline, keeps retconning shit that ruins the whole timeline, plotholes that make no sense, cant write to save his life.

He has an army of fanboys that defend him to the death though, ignoring the fact that this hack took more than five years to make his last game and even then the thing ended up incomplete with features missing and a whole chapter being cut.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedicamon: If you are saying he is a hack because the prequels were poop, then I get you totally. If you are saying what you said in your OP, then it's pretty silly IMO because everyone after the Greeks/Romans, Aciencent Japanese, Aciencent China, and right after the Shakspere era is copying someone. There are no new story elements or story structures now. Everything has been done. With that said now the term "original" when comes to story has to take on a completely different meaning. So Star Wars is very much original, and I see your opinion on this as not nessicarly brig non valid, but very much misguided.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're just now realizing this?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: You write stories I study films.I make films, I'm involved in the industry. What you're bringing up isn't considered plagiarism in the film industry. It's considered as paying a homage. Plagiarism film wise is something very different and specific. Those examples you brought up aren't plagiarism.

Plagiarism: the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

synonyms:copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing;

No matter how you spin in it. If a director or writer "Borrows" or "Steals" scenes as you put it, then yes, it is indeed plagiarism. Again i have nothing against creators taking inspiration from other works as Lucas has done in the past, but to say doing the former is no big deal is just flatout incorrect. When you draw inspiration from something it shows, when you're plagiarizing something it always comes off as a blatant rip-off. If i make a movie that has the exact same ending as Age of Ultron because i really liked age of Ultron, i'm not paying homage, i'm stealing somebody else's work. Sure i could add my own "spin" on it, but at the end of the day i still re-used the ending of a different film deliberately.

Is that ok because it's in the film world and apparently everybody does it? Hell to the no.

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@lukehero said:

@comedicamon: If you are saying he is a hack because the prequels were poop, then I get you totally. If you are saying what you said in your OP, then it's pretty silly IMO because everyone after the Greeks/Romans, Aciencent Japanese, Aciencent China, and right after the Shakspere era is copying someone. There are no new story elements or story structures now. Everything has been done. With that said now the term "original" when comes to story has to take on a completely different meaning. So Star Wars is very much original, and I see your opinion on this as not nessicarly brig non valid, but very much misguided.

Beata
Beata

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b
deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@comedicamon:

You were one of those kids who went to buy Dune from the DVD shop, but got StarWars instead weren't you.

Kar-El

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kar-El

So Lucas copied/stole, so what? It's nothing new. Our whole civilization is based off of people biting off other's ideas for better or for worse. Greece, Nubia and Rome stole ideas from Egypt, America stole ideas from Rome, Greece, Egypt, France, China, Native American tribes, etc. The Matrix was a "rip off". Hyperion, Captain Marvel, Supreme, Sentry, Icon, Prime, Gladiator, Apollo, Goku and Blue Marvel are a rip off of Superman. Elvis, The Beach Boys and many other White entertainers ripped a lot of their songs off from Black folks. Dr. Polaris is a rip off Magneto. Batman is basically a rip off of Zorro...i could go on and on. As cold as it sounds: it's not who creates it, it's who's able to present it the best or who has the means to even present it at all

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthsenju: Dune is a intellectual series. Star Wars is a degeneracy. Go read a book my friend.

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the denial. Keep rationalization my friends. :p

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By buttersdaman000

And JJ Abrams is continuing the tradition of recycling plot.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Spambot

@comedicamon: I don't think there is denial so much as there is acknowledgement that Lucas borrowed if not semi stole many ideas from many different works which preceded him. Many of the things you posted in the op were extremely minor things also or things which have appeared in other works besides just Dune. Such as comparing a one sentence mention of the spice mines of Kessel to the role which spice played in the Dune books or mentioning Uncle Owen being a moisture farmer to the whole impact of water being a commodity on Dune. Those were completely minor sidenotes to the first trilogy and the impact they had on the story. Even Herbert was using many archetypes which are common throughout literature when he did his books.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MonThackma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ironic that the entire point of this thread is founded on research, conclusions, writings, graphics and videos created by people other than the OP.

Ouch.