Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArkhamAsylum3
No Caption Provided

"You fools, do you realise what you've done?"

"The obscurial was killed on my orders Mr Graves."

"Yes, and history will surely note that, Madame President. What was done here tonight was not right."

"He was responsible for the death of a No-Maj, he risked the exposure of our community, he has broken one of our most sacred laws."

"A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter, a law that demands we conceal are true nature, a law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discovery. And I ask you, Madame President, and I ask all of you. Who does this law protect, us, or them? I refuse to bow down any longer."

-Gellert Grindelwald to The MACUSA: Fantastsic Beats and Where to Find Them

Do not read below the spoiler tags. This thread is currently being updated for Fantastic Beasts 2. The RT is incredibly incomplete and is in major need of an update.

Opener

Okay so I've finally got over my laziness and have managed to finally complete this Grindelwald Respect Thread. As with my previous HP Respect Threads (Remus and Sirius) I'll split this thread into sections which are Duelling Abilities, Magical Abilities/Academic Achievements, Physical Abilities and Accolades. Again there will be bio but it most likely won't contain anything you don't already know.

Note: Like with my previous HP RT's evidence for everything I say will be posted below in the form of a quote (and gifs as well in this case).

Bio

I hate summarising and no one really bothers to read these so I'll just link his story so far on Pottermore for that one guy that cares.

With that out of the way here is the actual RT.

Duelling Abilities

Grindelwald was a highly skilled and accomplished duellist as noted on Pottermore with many great feats in both the Fantastic Beasts Movie and in the books.

No Caption Provided

Of course the first duel I am going to bring up is the duel between Dumbedore and Grindelwald. It was said to be an incredible spectacle and the greatest duel ever to take place. Both fighters were incredibly close and it is a great feat for Grindelwald that he managed to duel the Greatest Wizard of modern times (it should also be noted Dumbledore was in his prime unlike in his duel with Voldemort) for a decent while and barely lose.

"(They say, still, that no wizarding duel ever matched that between Dumbledore and Grindelwald in 1945. Those who witnessed it have written of the terror and the awe as they watched these two extra-ordinary wizards do battle.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 24

"("The spectacular duel of legend.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 28

"("Until they met for their legendary duel.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 292

"(Considered by many the greatest wizard of modern times, Professor Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945.)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone page 77

Grindelwald also duelled Dumbledore and Aberforth years prior to his final confrontation with Dumbledore and stalemated them.

"("The argument became a fight. Grindelwald lost control. That which I'd always sensed in him, though I pretended not to, now sprang into terrible being.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 574

"(A dramatic three-way duel between Aberforth, Grindelwald and Albus ended in tragedy when Ariana was killed in the crossfire. Albus and Grindelwald's friendship was over. Grindelwald fled, and Aberforth broke Albus's nose at their sister's graveside.)"

Credit: Gellert Grindelwald - the story so far - Pottermore

Grindelwald also one shots Newt Scamander an incredibly skilled magical zoologist without use of a wand.

No Caption Provided

Note: Wandless magic is hard and it is basically impossible to even duel with it much less one shot which makes the feat much more impressive.

Grindelwald effortlessly blocks spells from Tina a trained Auor while holding back and not really paying attention to her.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Note: I often see people bring this up as a showing for Tina but it really isn't that impressive and doesn't show any parity between Tina and Grindelwald whatsoever. If you look at the gifs you'll see Grindelwald doesn't fire a single spell at Tina besides at the end of the fight which triggers Prior Incantatum which actually has nothing to do with power.

Grindelwald while holding back destroys Newt again.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grindelwald one shots 5 Aurors with a deadly curse.

No Caption Provided

And finally his best feat. He duels around 2 dozen Aurors and takes out 2 of them and was most likely about to take out more if not for Newt's intervention.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Physical Abilities

Grindelwald has shown himself to be incredibly physically able and has great combat and reaction speed.

Grindelwald was able to fight 2 dozen aurors and consistantly create a new shield charm for each one that went down showing pretty insane reaction speed.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grindelwald manages to react to and evade Credence showing his great reaction speed once again.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grindelwald reacts fast enough to stop Credence from being run over by a train.

No Caption Provided

Finally Grindelwald showed good pain tolerance as he mananged to resist torture form Voldemort despite having been imprisoned for 43 years and being old and frail at 115 years old.

"("... the emaciated figure stirred beneath its thin blanket and rolled towards him, eyes opening in a skull of a face ... the frail man sat up, great sunken eyes fixed upon him, upon Voldemort, and then he smiled. Most of his teeth were gone ... "So, you have come. I thought you would ... one day. But your journey was pointless. I never had it." "You lie!")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 369

"(As Harry spoke, his scar burned worse than ever, and for a few seconds he looked down, not upon the wandmaker, but on another man who was just as old, just as thin, but laughing scornfully. "Kill me, then, Voldemort, I welcome death. But my death will not bring you what you seek ... there is so much you do not understand ...")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 379

"(At once, Harry's scar felt as though it had split open again. His true surroundings vanished: he was Voldemort, and the skeletal wizard before him was laughing toothlessly at him; he was enraged at the summons he felt - he had warned them to summon him for nothing less than Potter. If they were mistaken ... "Kill me, then!" demanded the old man. "You will not win, you cannot win! That wand will never, ever be yours-" And Voldmort's fury broke: a burst of green light filled the prison room and the frail old body was lifted from its hard bed and fell back, lifeless, and Voldemort returned to the window, his wrath barely controllable ... they would suffer his retribution if they had no good reason for calling him back ...)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 382

Accolades

Grindelwald has great accolades from his time as a student to his time as Dark Wizard. As a student he was stated to be as brilliant as Dumbledore.

"("Grindelwald showed himself quite as precociously brilliant as Dumbledore")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 290

"("Both such brilliant young boys.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 291

"("Two clever, arrogant boys with a shared obsession.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 572

"(Dumbledore saw in Grindelwald an equal and the two became inseparable.)"

As a dark wizard Grindelwald was also stated by Dumbledore himself to be comparable to him.

"("I knew that we were evenly matched, perhaps that I was a shade more skilful.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 575

In his time as a Dark Wizard he represented a dark time for the wizarding world and was stated to be a huge threat who caused hell in the wizarding world (particularly Europe) and is compared to Voldemort in the amount of destruction he unleashed.

"(Before Lord Voldemort, it was Gellert Grindelwald who caused hell in the wizarding world.)"

Credit: Who is Gellert Grindelwald? - Pottermore

"(Grindelwald caused chaos across Europe.)"

Credit: Fantastic Beasts film title revealed - Crimes of Grindelwald - Pottermore

"(Grindelwald’s ascent represented a dark time for the wizarding world.)"

Credit: Everything we know about The Crimes of Grindelwald so far - Pottermore

No Caption Provided

In fact the threat he posed was so large he was stated to risk all out war with the No-Majs.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

His destruction became so bad No-Majs actually became aware of his threat and began an anti-wizard sentiment.

No Caption Provided

His power was so great that he spread fear worldwide and The New York Ghosts Newspaper began to question whether anyone was safe.

No Caption Provided

He was also stated to be unstoppable and that the only person who could defeat him was Dumbledore.

"("People were dying and he seemed unstoppable.")"

"(And at the height of his power, when Dumbledore knew he was the only one who could stop him, he duelled Grindelwald, and beat him, and he took the Elder Wand.)"

Credit: Winning the wand - Pottermore

He is also stated to be an extra-ordinary wizard.

"("They say, still, that no wizarding duel ever matched that between Dumbledore and Grindelwald in 1945. Those who witnessed it have written of the terror and the awe as they watched these two extra-ordinary wizards do battle.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 24

He was stated to be one of the most dangerous wizards of the twentieth century.

"(Gellert Grindelwald, one of the most dangerous wizards of the twentieth century.)"

Credit: Durmstrang Institute - Pottermore

Finally he was stated to be the second most powerful dark wizard of all time.

"(The name of Grindelwald is justly famous: in a list of Most Dangerous Dark Wizards of All Time, he would miss out on the top spot only because You-Know-Who arrived, a generation later, to steal his crown. As Grindelwald never extended his campaign of terror to Britain, however, the details of his rise to power are not widely known here.)"

Note: This is a British list and considering Grindelwald never set foot on Britain this list's objectivity of puting Voldemort first is called into question especially considering it was written as Voldemort was beginning his takeover of the country. So this list does not directly prove Voldemort is above Grindelwald which only furthers the accolades impressiveness.

Academic Achivements/Magical Abilities

Grindelwald was incredibly academically gifted and had a talent for the Dark Arts. Grindelwald was so powerful in fact that even when he was a teenager he was kicked out of school for using the Dark Arts in a school devoted to them.

"(At sixteen years old, even Dumbstrang felt it could no longer turn a blind eye to the twisted experiments of Gellert Grindelwald, and he was expelled.)"

"(Grindelwald was born around 1883 but his place of birth is a mystery. As a young wizard he attended Durmstrang - a European wizarding school with a reputation for dark magic. The school expelled Grindelwald for twisted experiments and near-fatal attacks on his fellow students. He was only 16.)"

A testament to how much Durmstrang tolerated the Dark Arts is shown below.

"(Educated at Durmstrang, a school famous even then for its unfortunate tolerance of the Dark Arts.)"

"(Durmstrang once had the darkest reputation of all eleven wizarding schools.)"

Credit: Durmstrang Institute - Pottermore

In fact Grindelwald's impact on Durmstrang was so great that even years later Krum comments on knowing Grindelwald's sign and shows utter contempt for Grindelwald's actions and expresses anger towards him.

"(Krum glowered over the top of his drink, watching Xenophilius, who was chatting to several warlocks on the other side of the dance floor. "Because," said Krum, if he vos not a guest of Fleur's I vould duel him, here and now, for vearing that filthy sign upon his chest." "Sign?" said Harry, looking over at Xenophilius too. The strange, triangular eye was gleaming on his chest. "Why? What's wrong with it?" "Grindelvald. That is Grindelvald's sign." "Grindelwald ... the Dark Wizard Dumbledore defeated?" "Exactly." Krum's jaw muscles worked as if he were chewing, then he said, "Grindelvald killed many people, my grandfather, for instance. Of course, he vos never poverful in this country, they said he feared Dumbledore - and rightly, seeing how he vos finished. But this-" He pointed his finger at Xenophilius. "This is his symbol, I recognized it at vunce: Grindelvald carved it into a vall at Durmstrang ven he vos a pupil there. Some idiots copied it on to their books and clothes, thinking to shock, make themselves impressive - until those of us who had lost family members to Grindelvald taught them better." Krum cracked his knuckles menacingly and glowered at Xenophilius. Harry felt perplexed. It seemed incredibly unlikely that Luna's father was a supporter of the Dark Arts, and nobody else in the tent seemed to have recognised the triangular, rune-like shape. "Are you - er - quite sure it's Grindelwald's -?" "I'm not mistaken," said Krum coldly. "I valked past that sign for several years, I know it vell.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pages 123 and 124

In his teenage years at school he was also described as an equal to Dumbledore as previously mentioned.

"("Grindelwald showed himself quite as precociously brilliant as Dumbledore.")"

"("Both such brilliant young boys.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 291

"("Two clever, arrogant boys with a shared obsession.")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 572

"(Dumbledore saw in Grindelwald an equal and the two became inseparable.)"

At school Grindelwald learned lots of different magical techniques and proved himself to be incredibly magically gifted and was obssesed with power. He carried these magical techniques over into his later life. He showed several abilities never seen before in the books and showed proficiency in techniques that have been seen in the books. In short he has shown proficiency in a vast array of different magical techniques.

"(Even as a student Grindelwald was obssesed with power.)"

First off he was capable of creating Inferi at the age of 16 as was mentioned in Deathly Hallows.

"("The Resurrection Stone - to him, though I preteneded not to know it, it meant an army of Inferi!")"

Note: While the statement does indeed say he needed the Resurrection Stone to accomplish this the fact of the matter is the people who are returned to earth via the Resurrection Stone act completely differently in from the reanimated corpses that were shown in Half-Blood Prince (Inferi) so Grindelwald would still need to transform the people taken from the Resurrection Stone into Inferi which proves he could indeed create Inferi without the Resurrection Stone.

As of 16 Grindelwald could conceal himself as well as The Invincibility Cloak.

"("And the Cloak ... somehow, we never discussed the Cloak much, Harry. Both of us could conceal ourselves well enough without the Cloak, the true magic of which, of course, is that it can be used to protect and shield others as well as its owner.)"

He has also shown consistent wandless TK usage which as mentioned previously is incredibly difficult.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

He has been shown to be able to blast lightning from the end of his wand.

No Caption Provided

He also has been shown to incinerate people with a single curse.

No Caption Provided

Note: This is particularly impressive given that the only one shot killing spell we know of is The Killing Curse. This curse is also impressive because it could take out multiple opponents something the Killing Curse couldn't do.

Second Note: This was most likely a spell of Grindelwald's own invention considering we have never seen it used before in any other Harry Potter related content.

Grindelwald has also shown he is able to apparate in a duelling scenario which is impressive considering not many characters are capable of it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Finally Grindelwald showed skill with Occlumency when he managed to resist Voldemort and stop Voldemort from gaining information about The Elder Wand.

"("... the emaciated figure stirred beneath its thin blanket and rolled towards him, eyes opening in a skull of a face ... the frail man sat up, great sunken eyes fixed upon him, upon Voldemort, and then he smiled. Most of his teeth were gone ... "So, you have come. I thought you would ... one day. But your journey was pointless. I never had it." "You lie!" )"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 369

"(As Harry spoke, his scar burned worse than ever, and for a few seconds he looked down, not upon the wandmaker, but on another man who was just as old, just as thin, but laughing scornfully. "Kill me, then, Voldemort, I welcome death. But my death will not bring you what you seek ... there is so much you do not understand ...")"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 379

"(At once, Harry's scar felt as though it had split open again. His true surroundings vanished: he was Voldemort, and the skeletal wizard before him was laughing toothlessly at him; he was enraged at the summons he felt - he had warned them to summon him for nothing less than Potter. If they were mistaken ... "Kill me, then!" demanded the old man. "You will not win, you cannot win! That wand will never, ever be yours-" And Voldmort's fury broke: a burst of green light filled the prison room and the frail old body was lifted from its hard bed and fell back, lifeless, and Voldemort returned to the window, his wrath barely controllable ... they would suffer his retribution if they had no good reason for calling him back ...)"

Credit: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows page 382

Closing Sentences

That's my RT.

Hope you enjoyed and if I missed anything please let me know and I'll add it.

This will be updated for Fantastic Beasts 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might want to take penguin off the list. It's my old account that I don't use.

Great thread all in all. I'd personally have left it until November time, but I guess it makes sense to publish it and update it later.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might want to take penguin off the list. It's my old account that I don't use.

Just realized that as I posted my callouts and was editing it as you wrote this.

Great thread all in all.

Thanks.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ward still shoots him

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice thread.

I know a lot of Harry Potter fans are upset about Johnny Depp playing Grindelwald, but personally, I'm onboard with it. He just has a certain flair that no other actor has, a flair that I think will make him a compelling villain.

Avatar image for in-sidiousvader
In-sidiousvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job on rt mate, Grindelward is more badass than Voldemort tbh.

@mrmonster: Why would anyone be upset? Johnny Depp is easily one of the best actors out there.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

I legit think we'll get feats for him that'll put him above Voldemort.

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope we see his legendary duel with Albus in the 3rd movie

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron said:

Good job on rt mate, Grindelward is more badass than Voldemort tbh.

@mrmonster: Why would anyone be upset? Johnny Depp is easily one of the best actors out there.

A lot of fans think he's too goofy for the role (which I disagree with, he can be serious), others because he had an abusive instance with his now ex-wife Amber Heard, but she's forgiven him, so why shouldn't we?

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster:

A lot of fans think he's too goofy for the role (which I disagree with, he can be serious), others because he had an abusive instance with his now ex-wife Amber Heard, but she's forgiven him, so why shouldn't we?

My problem is that he's actually to serious lol. I don't want him to act like a goofball but he needs charisma which we were told Grindelwald has. Every line he says is to grim and serious (from what we've seen) whereas Colin Farrell actually had charisma and displayed kindness (like in his scenes with Credence).

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice thread.

I know a lot of Harry Potter fans are upset about Johnny Depp playing Grindelwald, but personally, I'm onboard with it. He just has a certain flair that no other actor has, a flair that I think will make him a compelling villain.

@arkhamasylum3:

awesome thread dude excellent job

Thanks guys.

I legit think we'll get feats for him that'll put him above Voldemort.

He already does in my opinion.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice Work dude! Grindelwald is very powerful and i cant wait to see his battle with dumbledore in live action form later in the fantastic beast series

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice Work dude! Grindelwald is very powerful and i cant wait to see his battle with dumbledore in live action form later in the fantastic beast series

Cheers.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great job! I always thought Grindelwald was the 2nd most powerful wizard, almost equal to Dumbledore. I hope after the movies he starts getting the respect he deserves.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stefano said:

Great job! I always thought Grindelwald was the 2nd most powerful wizard, almost equal to Dumbledore. I hope after the movies he starts getting the respect he deserves.

Thanks.

Vivec3629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nicely done! You'll have more to add soon. :)

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nicely done! You'll have more to add soon. :)

Cheers.

Djuhen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's some nice work indeed. Perfect to read for being more than ready for next month ;)

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good!!!! :D

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djuhen said:

That's some nice work indeed. Perfect to read for being more than ready for next month ;)

@helloman said:

This is good!!!! :D

Thanks.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump. Missed a few things and updated it.

Vitisid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great work

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stefano said:

No Caption Provided

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stefano said:

The fact that Dumbledore reluctantly duels him and then defeats him while Grindelwald has the Elder Wand says otherwise.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

@mije_101: Sigh*

Dumbledore only reluctantly duelled Grindelwald because he didn't want to find out who killed Ariana but as soon as he started duelling Grindelwald that fear would surely disappear. Besides it's not likely to affect him much in the first place.

As for your part about the Elder Wand that is valid but The Elder Wand is extremely overrated and has been beaten several times before.

Then you also have the fact that your opinion contradicts canon fact and stuff Dumbledore has admitted himself.

Dumbledore admits he's only a shade more skilful than Grindelwald:

"("I knew that we were evenly matched, perhaps that I was a shade more skilful.")"

I have more accolades but I'll leave it at this for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4df01082e4b
deactivated-5c4df01082e4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job, HP.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers