Gary Oak theory

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2

During season one of Pokemon, Gary was a dick. But I also noticed something else.

Most of his Pokemon, like Nidoking, Arcanine and Scizor are Pokemon that has to be evolved in a special way, like trading and use of stone. He has a Krabby like Ash, but it isn’t evolved.

He didn’t travel on foot like Ash, he had a car with chauffeur.

Maybe he used his knowledge about Pokemon to get as far as he did rather than train as hard as other trainers? Took the shortcuts he could when possible? He already stated that he always found out what type the gym leaders were before facing them so he would have a type advantage(making his ten badges less impressive when you think about it). Remember, this guy was on vacation while Ash was trying to get a badge.

Maybe that’s why he did not get as far as Ash did when they both entered the Indigo Plateau Conference for the first time? He did not work as hard, did not challenge himself as much like trainers like Ash did?

dirtytree332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dirtytree332

He even had a group of cheerleaders waiting for him when Gary received his starter in the first episode.

But yeah, they always promote the message that one should love their Pokemon and be friendly with everyone, as it's conducive to success in the long run - Ash's rivals like Gary, Paul and Trip were usually impatient and cruel to Ash and their Pokemon (aside from Gary, who was only unfriendly towards Ash), and they lost league battles against Ash because of it.

Could argue he was filling up the Pokedex and didn't take as much time to train his Pokemon equally - Blastoise was his main powerhouse, and also his starter and most loved Pokemon, so no doubt the turtle occupied most of Gary's time training.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, being smart enough to find out his opponents' type before a fight somehow makes him less impressive?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This theory is wrong.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, being smart enough to find out his opponents' type before a fight somehow makes him less impressive?

No, winning gym battles by only using Pokemon with an advantage against the type of Pokemon the leader uses is less impressive.

Ash always entered a gym with the team he had trained throughout his journey, Gary changed his team before entering a gym so he would have the advantage. As a Pokemon veteran, I know that is a beginner's mistake since you eventually will be in a situation you can't prepare for by changing your Pokemon team.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb3fdda884d4
deactivated-5cb3fdda884d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

But, finding out types isn't rocket science. While they try their best to make battles more then just type advantage, but it's still a big factor regardless, is it less impressive ? sure, only because everyone in their right mind does it, even Ash (outside of the few episodes like vs Brock or Surge.)

Being on foot vs using a car isn't much of a knock on Gary. Ash only spent a best a few weeks to a month on the league challenge, even though the way the showcased time, it seemed way longer(They had a couple Christmas episodes in that frame). but the dialogue alludes to being less time. Gary at best, cut a week out because he didn't get lost or sidetracked.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@prime1000: No, the car has nothing to do with his training methods, I just thought that it symbolized that he preferred shortcuts.

Sure, Ash tries to have an advantage, but Gary implies that he went to his box whenever he was about to challenge a gym and made a team so he would be ready, like having a water and grass type if facing a rock gym leader.

And the stone-evolved Pokemon made me think that he used his resources to get Pokemon that was harder to get like Nidoking and Arcanine but took less time to evolve with the right items.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb3fdda884d4
deactivated-5cb3fdda884d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@waezi2 said:

@prime1000:

Sure, Ash tries to have an advantage, but Gary implies that he went to his box whenever he was about to challenge a gym and made a team so he would be ready, like having a water and grass type if facing a rock gym leader.

And the stone-evolved Pokemon made me think that he used his resources to get Pokemon that was harder to get like Nidoking and Arcanine but took less time to evolve with the right items.

But Ash has done that as well, before the Indigo league, with Muk and Kingler. I stopped watching after gen 2,but I'm sure he's done it pre gyms as well, it's not a shortcut, it's just strategy. Ash is just more reluctant to engage with it.

For the stone evolution, it's been presented as a "power vs skill" sort of dilemma. More so in the games, but Pikachu was able to out maneuver Surge's Raichu for the win. Sure, they gain more power, but it's not the Pokemon don't exhibit free will and can refuse. Gary was never shown to be that kinda character to force things on pokemon.

Gary is a real far cry to what the character could have been and was with Blue.

greenroost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By greenroost
@waezi2 said:

During season one of Pokemon, Gary was a dick. But I also noticed something else.

Most of his Pokemon, like Nidoking, Arcanine and Scizor are Pokemon that has to be evolved in a special way, like trading and use of stone. He has a Krabby like Ash, but it isn’t evolved.

He didn’t travel on foot like Ash, he had a car with chauffeur.

Maybe he used his knowledge about Pokemon to get as far as he did rather than train as hard as other trainers? Took the shortcuts he could when possible? He already stated that he always found out what type the gym leaders were before facing them so he would have a type advantage(making his ten badges less impressive when you think about it). Remember, this guy was on vacation while Ash was trying to get a badge.

Maybe that’s why he did not get as far as Ash did when they both entered the Indigo Plateau Conference for the first time? He did not work as hard, did not challenge himself as much like trainers like Ash did?

that's a very good theory but it's most likely not a fact regarding pokemon

gary oak had been shown in battles

he didn't just use his pokemon's alternate evolution's he did train them hard

although I wouldn't say it trained them 'the right way'

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2:
i love you bro but the "popular" pokemon anime royally sucked and made little sense, EVER.
it played fast and lose with type advantages and in regards to the metagame didn't stay true to its own defined set of rules.
They say there's another anime thats much better I caught glimpses of it and I would agree.

only thing good about the "popular" Pokemon was the music, good stuff