#1 Edited by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm wondering what the plan for Comic Vine's future is. Here's what I've been noticing: The community is a decent size and seems to be very active, and the data being added and edited every day is massive, yet it seems to me (tell if I'm wrong!) that staff is short. The front page news seems to be dwindling and there hasn't been much development or support on the API side of things. As a consumer of the API and a lover of comics, this concerns me a bit. The new design is really nice! But it seems like things have slowed since then.

Does the Comic Vine staff need help with day-to-day operations? Do they need help with developing the API? What's the plan for Comic Vine? Is it just going to keep being run by the community until CBS doesn't want to run it anymore?

I'm not trying to be cynical or negative, but I just want to make sure I can rely on the data here and that it's not going away any time soon. The people here are great and do very good working documenting these comics and I thank everyone for that!

#2 Posted by AssertingValor (8139 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are you 7 poster

#3 Posted by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a lurker who loves comics and loves Comic Vine. I use the API for a personal project that I've been really enjoying. But as it's growing, I'm concerned about relying on the data here at CV.

#4 Edited by Farkam (12018 posts) - - Show Bio

Go away.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#5 Edited by Major_Hellstrom (17355 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you miss the news? Comic Vine is dying!!!!

But seriously we are short-staffed and it seems that CV will stay the way it is for a while.

#6 Posted by ANTHP2000 (25725 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I mean what's up with these threads lately?

#7 Posted by AbelHsu (3533 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are you Nerevarine_11 ? Lord-Parallax ? Nohate ?? A triggered user from KMC or CBR ??

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#8 Posted by scott_summers52 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Vine is dying?!

No Caption Provided

#9 Edited by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha. I feel like I've stirred up something that I had no idea about. I'm sorry for posting something that apparently has been posted before. I skimmed the forums and didn't find something similar, so I thought I'd ask.

@abelhsu - I actually don't know those names. I've only been in the forums a handful of times. Also, what are KMC and ABR? Just so I have some context.

@major_hellstorm Let me ask this though - Is there any way to help out with the dev side of things? I'm a web developer, and I wouldn't mind helping out a bit! It would be volunteer work.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#10 Posted by The Impersonator (8473 posts) - - Show Bio

The site has been pretty slow since Tony left. I'm not sure about the other staff, but it looks like they're short.

#11 Edited by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger - Yeah... Sorry about that. I feel bad having posted this now.

I guess my main concern is the database. It's so vast. I don't want to lose it :'(

#14 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

@hmhrex: The wiki is certainly exhaustive and comprehensive for sure, especially at cataloguing issues and character appearances. Even if we don't get any more staff updates for months the site's wiki and forum traffic should be enough to keep it afloat. Sites like KMC exist purely on the forums now.

#15 Posted by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger That keeps me more at ease. Again, I'm a developer, and I wouldn't mind helping out as a volunteer. Unfortunately I'm not sure what kind of position they are in to allow volunteer contributions.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

@hmhrex: Despite being a CV user for years, I'm afraid I don't know the process behind developing the site itself. I mean wiki contributions are welcomed but the upkeep of the site is handled by other site developers. You could try messaging someone called Rorie and see if he can answer your queries.

#17 Posted by hmhrex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Thanks for giving me that name, I sent him a message! :)

#18 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

@hmhrex: Glad to be of help to you.