Future of Comic Vine

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hmhrex

I'm wondering what the plan for Comic Vine's future is. Here's what I've been noticing: The community is a decent size and seems to be very active, and the data being added and edited every day is massive, yet it seems to me (tell if I'm wrong!) that staff is short. The front page news seems to be dwindling and there hasn't been much development or support on the API side of things. As a consumer of the API and a lover of comics, this concerns me a bit. The new design is really nice! But it seems like things have slowed since then.

Does the Comic Vine staff need help with day-to-day operations? Do they need help with developing the API? What's the plan for Comic Vine? Is it just going to keep being run by the community until CBS doesn't want to run it anymore?

I'm not trying to be cynical or negative, but I just want to make sure I can rely on the data here and that it's not going away any time soon. The people here are great and do very good working documenting these comics and I thank everyone for that!

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Who are you 7 poster

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a lurker who loves comics and loves Comic Vine. I use the API for a personal project that I've been really enjoying. But as it's growing, I'm concerned about relying on the data here at CV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you miss the news? Comic Vine is dying!!!!

But seriously we are short-staffed and it seems that CV will stay the way it is for a while.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anthp2000  Moderator

Lol I mean what's up with these threads lately?

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who are you Nerevarine_11 ? Lord-Parallax ? Nohate ?? A triggered user from KMC or CBR ??

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Comic Vine is dying?!

No Caption Provided

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hmhrex

Haha. I feel like I've stirred up something that I had no idea about. I'm sorry for posting something that apparently has been posted before. I skimmed the forums and didn't find something similar, so I thought I'd ask.

@abelhsu - I actually don't know those names. I've only been in the forums a handful of times. Also, what are KMC and ABR? Just so I have some context.

@major_hellstorm Let me ask this though - Is there any way to help out with the dev side of things? I'm a web developer, and I wouldn't mind helping out a bit! It would be volunteer work.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

The site has been pretty slow since Tony left. I'm not sure about the other staff, but it looks like they're short.

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hmhrex
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger - Yeah... Sorry about that. I feel bad having posted this now.

I guess my main concern is the database. It's so vast. I don't want to lose it :'(

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmhrex: The wiki is certainly exhaustive and comprehensive for sure, especially at cataloguing issues and character appearances. Even if we don't get any more staff updates for months the site's wiki and forum traffic should be enough to keep it afloat. Sites like KMC exist purely on the forums now.

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger That keeps me more at ease. Again, I'm a developer, and I wouldn't mind helping out as a volunteer. Unfortunately I'm not sure what kind of position they are in to allow volunteer contributions.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmhrex: Despite being a CV user for years, I'm afraid I don't know the process behind developing the site itself. I mean wiki contributions are welcomed but the upkeep of the site is handled by other site developers. You could try messaging someone called Rorie and see if he can answer your queries.

hmhrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger Thanks for giving me that name, I sent him a message! :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmhrex: Glad to be of help to you.