Frank Miller as a writer

LillianRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LillianRoot

I finished reading Absolute Dark Knight (Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again) today. I must say that I am totally indecisive whether I like Frank Miller as a Batman writer or not.

Batman Year One and Dark Knight Returns are really good stories, maybe even fantastic Batman stories.https://essaywriter.fun/

Dark Knight Strikes Again is maybe even the worst Batman story I ever read. Batman Incorporated is good in comparison to Strikes again.

Am I being to picky here or what are your opinions on Frank Miller’s Batman stories?

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Combo-Man

I'm not a fan of Frank Miller's take on Batman.

Reasons

Miller's Batman considers himself "a criminal."

Miller's Batman doesn't co-operate with the police but is instead at odds with them. he's seen as more of an outlaw rather than a Superhero who's authority and credibility is recognized by everyone. in this sense Miller writes him more like a Marvel character than a DC character.

Miller's Batman talks in a far too comical way, using stereotypical 1930s slang and vernacular.

Miller also writes Batman as a guy with an obvious screw loose, kind of sadistic, rather than the usual disciplined detective and crime fighter doing his job.

Miller is a great writer for Marvel & DarkHorse though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDKR is a solid work of writing and has an important place in the character's history, but is overrated in pure storytelling.

YO is one of the best Batman comics period.

ASBAR is awful, but actually pretty funny if you read it through the right lens, so unlike some I don't consider it particularly offensive.

TDKSA is so bad it stops even being amusing. It's genuinely unreadable.

TDK 3: The Master Race is a mediocrity if there ever was one, and once again proof that Miller writing sequels to his earlier work was a terrible idea. Still though, it's not terrible like TDKSA, so there's that I guess?

On the whole he's a mixed bag, but he's probably helped the character more than he's damaged him. You can pretty much ignore the bad stuff and enjoy the good, and even his poorer work has its merits (besides TDKSA, that book is atrocious).