• 80 results
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., leaving behind a media company tightly focused on news and sports, according to people familiar with the situation.

The talks have taken place over the last few weeks and there is no certainty they will lead to a deal. The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, but given the on again, off again nature of the talks, they could be revisited.

For Fox, the willingness to engage in sale talks with Disney stems from a growing belief among its senior management that scale in media is of immediate importance and there is not a path to gain that scale in entertainment through acquisition. The company is said to believe that a more tightly focused group of properties around news and sports could compete more effectively in the current marketplace.

The media landscape has changed considerably in recent years with giants such as Facebook, Google (Alphabet), Amazon and Netflixchanging the way people consume media and dominating the digital distribution of digital video content. Being able to compete in that changing landscape, many people believe, requires scale that a Disney has, but 21st Century Fox does not.

For Disney, the opportunity to take control of another movie studio and significant TV production assets as it readies a direct-to-consumer entertainment streaming offering is attractive as is Fox's significant exposure to international markets, such as the U.K., Germany and Italy — both through its networks and 39 percent ownership of Sky. Disney recently announced it will pull all of its movies from the Netflix platform and will establish two direct-to-consumer offerings: one for sports and one including its key franchises such as "Star Wars" and Marvel.

Disney would not purchase all of Fox, according to people with knowledge of the talks.

The company could not own two broadcast networks and would therefore not buy the Fox broadcast network. It would not buy Fox's sports programming assets in the belief that combining them with ESPN could be seen as anti-competitive from an antitrust standpoint and it would not buy the Fox News or Business channel. Disney would also not purchase Fox's local broadcasting affiliates, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

In addition to the movie studio, TV production and international assets such as Star and Sky, Disney would also add entertainment networks such as FX and National Geographic.

The contemplated structure of the deal or the price that has been discussed could not be learned. Given it would involve the sale of many, but not all of Fox's properties, it's unclear how Fox would mitigate potential tax consequences of a deal.

Officials at Disney and Fox declined to comment.

Source: CNBC

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Would Disney get X-Men?

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: Yes and the Fantastic Four.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fangdanerd: I have mixed feelings about that. I would love to see the X Men in the MCU but I also like the way Fox does some of there movies. I loved Days of Future Past. I also wouldn't want them to recast everyone. I definitely would love to see the Galactus and Doctor Doom in the MCU though.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly don't want the X-Men in the mcu they just wouldn't fit into that world they've built, you can't just randomly introduce mutants without them being mentioned in any of the films or tv shows released.
Fantastic 4 could work though.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

I honestly don't want the X-Men in the mcu they just wouldn't fit into that world they've built, you can't just randomly introduce mutants without them being mentioned in any of the films or tv shows released.

Just say they are an infinitesimal portion of the population. Magneto has collected many of them on Genosha, Xavier the rest in his institute. They've fought Magneto a few times and that's it, they cover their traces/shield themselves from outside interference via telepathic and technopathic mutants. The film could be about them being irreversibly revealed to the world.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit. I don't want Disney to handle X Men, but they'd do good by Fantastic Four.. This is conflicting.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eto
No Caption Provided

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rbt said:

Shit. I don't want Disney to handle X Men, but they'd do good by Fantastic Four.. This is conflicting.

I don't really mind them getting the X-Men, but I can see why somebody wouldn't. It's specifically Wolverine for me... he'd be too tame. He'd work way better on a Netflix show, but it won't happen, especially not with Disney's new Netflix rules. But then I really want to see Wolverine vs Hulk. And the Thing vs Hulk come to think of it... damn.

I think Disney will really push for this. Doom, Galactus, Phoenix etc. could propel the MCU for another decade post IW.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98 said:

Just say they are an infinitesimal portion of the population. Magneto has collected many of them on Genosha, Xavier the rest in his institute. They've fought Magneto a few times and that's it, they cover their traces/shield themselves from outside interference via telepathic and technopathic mutants. The film could be about them being irreversibly revealed to the world.

Aren't the X-Men all about getting people to accept mutants and whatnot? Why would they be making the world forget the exist?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

Aren't the X-Men all about getting people to accept mutants and whatnot? Why would they be making the world forget the exist?

For protection. Even in the Fox films the Xavier institute is a facility that essentially hides children and very little is known about Mutants, with the idea of them being identified and catalogued being a theme. Xavier didn't tell Bobby's parents it was a Mutant school. I can see a "retcon" to say Fury and a select few others knew (Peggy Carter, Hank Pym, other high ups). That is pretty easy, they could say Fury knew most things and I'd buy it based on the way he's been depicted.

Once they are fully outed, then you would have the themes of trying to getting humans to accept them.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

I don't really mind them getting the X-Men, but I can see why somebody wouldn't. It's specifically Wolverine for me... he'd be too tame. He'd work way better on a Netflix show, but it won't happen, especially not with Disney's new Netflix rules. But then I really want to see Wolverine vs Hulk. And the Thing vs Hulk come to think of it... damn.

I think Disney will really push for this. Doom, Galactus, Phoenix etc. could propel the MCU for another decade post IW.

Not just Wolverine. The very tone of X Men movie is completely different from MCU movies(and IMO, more balanced compared to MCU and DCEU). I just don't see Disney making a good X Men movie.

Fox has done a horrible job with Fantastic Four. And having Avengers and Fantastic Four team up to face Galactus on big screen. That would be something.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98 said:

Idk I still feel that they'd be known of cause random people's kids would be getting mutated and getting these powers it'd be noticed by a lot of people, it'd be similar to the Inhumans in AoS everyone knows about them. Shield would also know about the mutants especially someone as powerful as Magneto or Charles.

I guess your way could kind of work but it still seems a bit forced, also the X-Men films with FOX have been great apart from Apocalypse which was meh, but First Class and DoFP were great I don't think marvel would handle them in the same way. And if they couldn't get Fassbender or McAvoy then it would definitely not live up to the hype.

Fantastic 4 would be a much more natural addition, mutants would just change the whole landscape of the mcu, I'd like to be proved wrong your idea does seem plausible if executed right but I'm still skeptical right now.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just after Hugh Jackman said he would've kept playing Wolverine if he got the chance to interact with Hulk and Iron Man.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chris-Sama

This is great news, looking forward to the mighty gladiator popping up in a guardians film!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rbt said:
@rogueshadow said:
@rbt said:

Not just Wolverine. The very tone of X Men movie is completely different from MCU movies(and IMO, more balanced compared to MCU and DCEU). I just don't see Disney making a good X Men movie.

Fox has done a horrible job with Fantastic Four. And having Avengers and Fantastic Four team up to face Galactus on big screen. That would be something.

Like I said I can see why somebody wouldn't, but the tone of the Fox X-Men aren't really the same as the comic X-Men. The way Colossus and NSTW were depicted in Deadpool is how I can see the MCU doing it, and Colossus was my favourite part of Deadpool. I agree that when they hit, they're more balanced films, but as a fan, the MCU does just feel a touch incomplete without the Mutants and FF to be honest.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied: lol well maybe he can still change his mind?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
@rogueshadow said:
@rbt said:

Like I said I can see why somebody wouldn't, but the tone of the Fox X-Men aren't really the same as the comic X-Men. The way Colossus and NSTW were depicted in Deadpool is how I can see the MCU doing it, and Colossus was my favourite part of Deadpool. I agree that when they hit, they're more balanced films, but as a fan, the MCU does just feel a touch incomplete without the Mutants and FF to be honest.

I didn't really like Deadpool. Also, X Men works better as an isolated universe, IMO because of whole hate the powered people thing.

But honestly, despite everything, I hope Disney gets the rights back. At least to Fantastic Four. I doubt Fox is going to touch them for a while after last disaster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a235d4b20340
deactivated-5a235d4b20340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a game changer if it goes through.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys does this mean we might get a Spiderman and Deadpool team up movie?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

Idk I still feel that they'd be known of cause random people's kids would be getting mutated and getting these powers it'd be noticed by a lot of people, it'd be similar to the Inhumans in AoS everyone knows about them. Shield would also know about the mutants especially someone as powerful as Magneto or Charles.

I guess your way could kind of work but it still seems a bit forced, also the X-Men films with FOX have been great apart from Apocalypse which was meh, but First Class and DoFP were great I don't think marvel would handle them in the same way. And if they couldn't get Fassbender or McAvoy then it would definitely not live up to the hype.

Fantastic 4 would be a much more natural addition, mutants would just change the whole landscape of the mcu, I'd like to be proved wrong your idea does seem plausible if executed right but I'm still skeptical right now.

I dunno, I just think of Kamar Taj and sorcerers being introduced, or the idea of Blade and Vampires that nobody seemed to mind. Nobody but the Chaste seems to know about the Hand. I think Mutants existing in the way I suggested could work, but I agree it would have to be done delicately. Feige can pull it off in my opinion. If they get it, it will definitely be a brand new cast.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

I dunno, I just think of Kamar Taj and sorcerers being introduced, or the idea of Blade and Vampires that nobody seemed to mind. Nobody but the Chaste seems to know about the Hand. I think Mutants existing in the way I suggested could work, but I agree it would have to be done delicately. Feige can pull it off in my opinion. If they get it, it will definitely be a brand new cast.

I see what you mean with those examples but they're a bit different, because they're trying to be secretive and it's easier for them. But mutants would just randomly have their powers triggered so I feel they'd struggle to keep it out of the public. Also I feel it might be a bit too similar to how Inhumans were handled in AoS. But I guess it could work, but the mcu will never make a better X-Men film than DoFP I just don't see them getting the tone right. And if they don't get Fassbender or McAvoy then the characters won't be as good either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@seagod said:

Guys does this mean we might get a Spiderman and Deadpool team up movie?

Spider Man rights are owned by Sony, not Fox.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rbt: Hating Mutants can still work imo. The difference between Mutants and say, Captain America and Spider-Man, is that the Mutants are a direct affront to the continuation of humanity. Steve and Peter are augmented humans, mutants are literally the next step in human evolution in many iterations. They are the Homo-sapiens to our Neanderthal. You can imagine people seeing them as abominations, people are definitely contradictory and irrational enough in the real world that I buy it.

@thorthunder98: I see your point. Xavier can find Mutants though, and theoretically cover up most incidents with them via telepathy and with the aid of technopathic mutants.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fox should just give up the Fantastic Four rights, I'm fine with them keeping the X-Men since I feel like they have been doing a good job with the X-Men by taking risks even though I do want them in the MCU.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: I know but Sony tends to lend Spiderman to disney lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whoa really

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 emperorthanos-  Moderator

Like others have said, mixed feelings. I do not want the X-Men or Mutants to be part of the MCU. FOX has done a fairly good job with the in recent years and the tone is different from MCU. Plus I don't see how they can be introduced properly.

F4 on the other hand has to go back to Marvel and MCU doing a proper F4 movie.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

NOOOOO!!!!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

No. I'm in the camp that the X-Men should be in their own universe, separate from Marvel (I feel this way about the comics too). Fox has been doing great with the mutants so far, keep it up.

Disney can have FF though...

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Necromancer76

If Disney got X-Men and Fantastic Four, wouldn’t they own all of Marvel basically? (For movies)

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rogueshadow  Moderator

The talks are apparently dead.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I still feel FOX is handling mutants way better than marvel would, even on the TV front FOX is killing it with Legion and The Gifted.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gotoucanario
@rogueshadow said:

The talks are apparently dead.

Hope so. Apocalypse sucked but at least Fox doesn't do the same movie over and over again.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eto
Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Inhumans didnt work out.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: I'll admit Fox did great movies, but FF deserve better than this ffs. It's not fair.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gotoucanario

@eto: Oh yeah FF would be better in MCU, Fox isn't going to touch them in at least a decade after the last fiasco. Just leave the x-men where they are.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hopefully the X-Men will join the MCU soon! After Logan ended Wolverine's amazing arc I've kind of been losing interest in Fox's universe.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheWatcherKing

@rogueshadow said:
@watcher5000 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

For protection. Even in the Fox films the Xavier institute is a facility that essentially hides children and very little is known about Mutants, with the idea of them being identified and catalogued being a theme. Xavier didn't tell Bobby's parents it was a Mutant school. I can see a "retcon" to say Fury and a select few others knew (Peggy Carter, Hank Pym, other high ups). That is pretty easy, they could say Fury knew most things and I'd buy it based on the way he's been depicted.

Once they are fully outed, then you would have the themes of trying to getting humans to accept them.

That's just the school though, the existence of mutants in generally is common knowledge and is literally taught in schools as seen in X-Men apocalypse.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really give a shit about the movies, just lift this dumbass embargo you have on F4 comics, and don't give it to some blogger, or worse, Bendis.

Wouldn't mind an animated series though.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney is looking to start their own streaming service, so acquisition of FOX TV and film would bolster their libraries. Plus, FOX still owns the distribution rights for Star Wars IV A New Hope, so I think Disney wanted to get that. Dead (for now) or not, the fact that both were taking means that FOX is looking to change direction with its media.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For all of you saying "Oh no, Disney will stop making R rated movies", keep this in mind; Miramax, who was a subsidiary of Disney at the time, was allowed to make Pulp Fiction.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually really glad the deal fell through.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the thing FOX owns more than just FF and X-Men so I'm happy it died.

Thesenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Thesenate

@kevd4wg said:

Here's the thing FOX owns more than just FF and X-Men so I'm happy it died.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, mixed feelings. I do not want the X-Men or Mutants to be part of the MCU. FOX has done a fairly good job with the in recent years and the tone is different from MCU. Plus I don't see how they can be introduced properly.

F4 on the other hand has to go back to Marvel and MCU doing a proper F4 movie.

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG..........The x-men are awesome........but this is way beyond them.......

Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus, Juggernaut, Omega Red, Sabretooth, Gladiator and my main man DOOOOOOOM...omg i hope this true.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hhhmmmmmm..