Five advantages Captain Marvel has to beat Wonder Woman at the Box Office

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperPanther

As stated in the title:

1. It's in the MCU
  2. Brie is a recognizable, Oscar winner
  3. Marvel is literally giving her the biggest franchise in the world. She'll be running the MCU
  4. Cross promotion with Avengers 4. the trailers will be airing at the same time showing dominantly the same content. Like how the BP trailers and A:IW trailers. But CM comes out even closer to Avengers 4 release.
  5. The name Captain "MARVEL"(name of the biggest franchise on earth)combined with intense cross A4 promotion will make it seem like an event movie. The regular viewing public won't understand why it's called Captain "MARVEL" like we do. They'll think they have to see this movie.

All they'll see when they look at this is "MARVEL."

No Caption Provided

Notice how Marvel changed the font from the original so the "MARVEL" is bigger:

No Caption Provided

They know what there doing. This movie will kill the BO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, you must be a genius... this is all common sense a donkey could have came up with. Why don't you post all your posts with one account instead of having multiple alts....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well Captain Marvel has a good chance for crossing Wonder Woman. But thats because MS is much more popular now. Even Disney wants to make money just like everyone else.

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reasons 2, 3, and 5 sound pretty weak, honestly with no sarcasm.

I don't think the general audience based their movie watching selection logic that way.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many alts dude?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 alts making posts all night. Making posts all night. Making posts all night.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator
Avatar image for youshallnotpass
YouShallNotPass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. So? Loads of MCU films havent made over 821 mill

2. You do realise Vikander in the tomb raider film is more well known then her and an oscar winner and its only made 240m. Oscar win dont mean shit, Brie has no star power in here at all.

3. Ok...

4. So? X-Men Dark Phoneix, Godzilla, Dumbo, HTTYD3, Shazam and Dumbo will be creeping around so they're high on the competition.

5. Doesnt mean anything and she didnt own it first as well.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman would be a guaranteed afterthought

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

1. Because that means anything? Ant-Man only got around 500 mill at the BO.
  2. Is she? For what? You know skip that, she is not a recognizable superstar, which is how Marvel/Disney does this... they dont hire the biggest or the most expensive people for these kinds of things.
  3. Thats however not what her movie is going to be about. In fact it's set years before Iron Man took flight as I've heard.
  4. Which could possibly damage her as everyone will be going to Avengers 4.
  5. You do realize the name is not a draw? Also you do realize most people still think Captain Marvel is this guy:
No Caption Provided

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperPanther

@outside_85:

"1. Because that means anything? Ant-Man only got around 500 mill at the BO."

Poor comparison. That's like saying BP would only do 500 cause AM. The Panther is the MCU's... first black hero. AM is just another white hero. CM is the MCU's....first female. Doesn't matter if DC already done. WW is not MCU.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wolfrazer  Online

Ha at Marvel being the biggest franchise.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

"1. Because that means anything? Ant-Man only got around 500 mill at the BO."

Poor comparison. That's like saying BP would only do 500 cause AM. The Panther is the MCU's... first black hero. AM is just another white hero. CM is the MCU's....first female. Doesn't matter if DC already done. WW is not MCU.

And your logic is that 'only' because CM is going to be the first solo female led movie in the MCU then people are going to turn out in hordes to see it? not because of the character or story or anything of that sort? Just that it's the first female MCU movie.

Reason why the movie is not going to beat Wonder Woman however is the same reason Black Panther was great and why Ant Man was less so: Some of these characters mean something to people beyond being simple comicbook characters; BP is the first black superhero and Wonder Woman is a feminist icon and both were in the positions of people waiting decades to see them on screen. Ant Man had no such pull, and while Danvers is the most popular Captain Marvel they have... there is no special draw in her.

SuperPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: and now we wait until 2019 to see who's right. Lol

Jk. It's me.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: and now we wait until 2019 to see who's right. Lol

Jk. It's me.

Which one of you are you talking about?

MoTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well she's already down 850mil so she has a lot of catching up to do LOL.

Wonder Woman>Captain Marvel.

SuperPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: all I'll say is Antman is not a good comparison. Marvel didn't even want to make that movie. Dude...it's Antman. C'mon now. Marvel only made that movie because Edger pushed for years to get it off the ground. It was originally supposed to be one and done. But it exceeded expectations so Marvel went on and green lit the sequel. For the simple fact it performed good enough to get a sequel is a testament to how popular the Marvel brand is.

By bringing up Antman you're actually proving my point. Only the MCU could make a character that obscure a success. DC can't even keep there stars from flopping. While Marvel is a success with Antman?! It made over 100mil in profit. JL lost 100mil. MoS made 42mil. And neither will get a sequel.

By choosing Antman you're not helping your case at all.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: all I'll say is Antman is not a good comparison. Marvel didn't even want to make that movie. Dude...it's Antman. C'mon now. Marvel only made that movie because Edger pushed for years to get it off the ground. It was originally supposed to be one and done. But it exceeded expectations so Marvel went on and green lit the sequel. For the simple fact it performed good enough to get a sequel is a testament to how popular the Marvel brand is.

By bringing up Antman you're actually proving my point. Only the MCU could make a character that obscure a success. DC can't even keep there stars from flopping. While Marvel is a success with Antman?! It made over 100mil in profit. JL lost 100mil. MoS made 42mil. And neither will get a sequel.

By choosing Antman you're not helping your case at all.

You do realize Captain Marvel from Marvel isn't a big name yeah?

EICHHOLTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Outside of comic book fans very few people know Captain Marvel/shazam.

if You polled 100 random people of the street I could guarantee they'd just think he is a Superman knockoff (which at it's core he is).

at this point Marvel can throw any D-list character out there and I have more faith in it than the DCEU. never underestimate the marketing juggernaut that is Disney/Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy....

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Outside of comic book fans very few people know Captain Marvel/shazam.

if You polled 100 random people of the street I could guarantee they'd just think he is a Superman knockoff (which at it's core he is).

at this point Marvel can throw any D-list character out there and I have more faith in it than the DCEU. never underestimate the marketing juggernaut that is Disney/Marvel.

Well thats not true considering he was the king of the hill in the golden age of comicsbooks and had a (now old) very successful TV show.

Fact is that most of those 100 people would actually know he exists. How many do you think it's something about him when they see this Captain Marvel?

Thats your problem.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman 2 comes out in 2019 also. What is MarvelAlt's going to do when WW2 beats Captain Marvel?

SpidermanPS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM has got this.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Reasons 2, 3, and 5 sound pretty weak, honestly with no sarcasm.

I don't think the general audience based their movie watching selection logic that way.

2 and 3 are weak. 5 isn't weak TBH.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gokluma

This is the most pathetic post I saw in my life.

All of these reasons are weak like seriously there is still more movies like X-Men Dark Phoneix, Godzilla, Dumbo, HTTYD3, Shazam and Dumbo on the competition as well,Shazam owned the name first not Carol and lastly enough is enough with obsession at MCU beat DCEU threads

@rogueshadow another bait thread

No Caption Provided

Seriously man get a better hobby like playing some games or anything!

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@outside_85:

Because that means anything? Ant-Man only got around 500 mill at the BO.

Unless you're going to try and tell me the Marvel brand means nothing, of course it means something. Hell, Marvel branding is the reason a character as obscure as Ant-Man grossed $519 million (and it's sequel will likely surpass Justice League).

Ant-Man is the worst example you could've picked to illustrate this point. Black Panther would be a better example. Captain Marvel's cultural significance will be enough to put it ahead of Ant-Man, as will it's ties to Infinity War and the fact the MCU has increased in popularity since Ant-Man.

Also you do realize most people still think Captain Marvel is this guy:

You're talking about comic book fans, but comic book fans don't make up a majority of the people who watch CBMs.

Reason why the movie is not going to beat Wonder Woman however is the same reason Black Panther was great and why Ant Man was less so: Some of these characters mean something to people beyond being simple comicbook characters; BP is the first black superhero and Wonder Woman is a feminist icon and both were in the positions of people waiting decades to see them on screen. Ant Man had no such pull, and while Danvers is the most popular Captain Marvel they have... there is no special draw in her.

We'll see, but I wouldn't be so sure. Not saying it's guaranteed, but Captain Marvel has a chance at beating the first WW at the box office.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're going to try and tell me the Marvel brand means nothing, of course it means something. Hell, Marvel branding is the reason a character as obscure as Ant-Man grossed $519 million (and it's sequel will likely surpass Justice League).

Ant-Man is the worst example you could've picked to illustrate this point. Black Panther would be a better example. Captain Marvel's cultural significance will be enough to put it ahead of Ant-Man, as will it's ties to Infinity War and the fact the MCU has increased in popularity since Ant-Man.

You're talking about comic book fans, but comic book fans don't make up a majority of the people who watch CBMs.

We'll see, but I wouldn't be so sure. Not saying it's guaranteed, but Captain Marvel has a chance at beating the first WW at the box office.

I am not saying the Marvel brand means nothing. But this guy puts it up that the Marvel brand is the only reason people would come and see this thing, as if everyone have the minds of zombies and will follow a Marvel branded bus even if it left town. Furthermore he also puts it up that the brand with 'first female' in the lead somehow results in it automatically means she is beating out Wonder Woman's BO.

Cultural significance? What are you talking about? Captain Marvel doesn't have cultural significance unless you are talking about the DC character. Danvers is better liked than the original Marvel Captain Marvel, and she has a plus in being a strong female air force pilot form a time where there weren't that many, but thats about it as far as I can see. To this, before Marvel decided to push her into the middle, Danvers was probably more infamous than famous due to that one Avengers story and now two bouts of Civil Wars where she's been on the wrong side of things.

No I am talking about regular people. Regular people will have fathers and grandfathers who remember Captain Marvel as the guy in red with a bolt of lightning on his chest. Regular people don't know he has nothing to do with the Marvel company, and they know even less about Carol Danvers. And you need those regular people to come watch the show, because the comic reading fans of Carols aren't exactly in their millions.

I seriously doubt that tbh, unless her appearance in Infinity War or Avengers 4 sets off somekind of firestorm of interest, I don't think she is going to get the kind of audience that shouts 'I've been waiting my whole life for this!' during the opening credits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e
deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2nd isn't a advantage in my opinion.

SpidermanPS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Cross promotion with Avengers 4. the trailers will be airing at the same time showing dominantly the same content. Like how the BP trailers and A:IW trailers. But CM comes out even closer to Avengers 4 release.
  • The name Captain "MARVEL"(name of the biggest franchise on earth)combined with intense cross A4 promotion will make it seem like an event movie. The regular viewing public won't understand why it's called Captain "MARVEL" like we do. They'll think they have to see this movie.

THIS!! I 100% AGREE WITH THIS. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Marvel wouldn't take advantage of infinity War by introducing CM to the masses. Especially with her being unknown. It would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce her to the GA before her movie. They want to blindside the audience. They're counting on people not knowing anything about her prior to her films release. When people see Captain "Marvel" combined with the A4 cross promotion they'll think it's a event movie.

Feige already confirmed the events of Avengers 4 are basically the sequel to the events of CM. Meaning the trailers will show similar content. Captain Marvel, Skrulls etc... And with a name like Captain "Marvel" people ain't gonna know what to think. Plus she'll be a female. Marvel's first female.

I thought it was odd when the Infinity War trailer released how Wakanda/Black Panther dominate it was. That was Marvels plan all along. Cross promotion for BP. It's one of the reasons BP performed so well. Riding the A:IW hype train. And it killed the BO. That was a test run for CM. But CM comes out only SIX weeks before A4. Meaning Avengers hype will be at a all time hype when Captain Marvel releases with the exact same content as A4.

I predict CM will do 1.4bil.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Cross promotion with Avengers 4. the trailers will be airing at the same time showing dominantly the same content. Like how the BP trailers and A:IW trailers. But CM comes out even closer to Avengers 4 release.
  • The name Captain "MARVEL"(name of the biggest franchise on earth)combined with intense cross A4 promotion will make it seem like an event movie. The regular viewing public won't understand why it's called Captain "MARVEL" like we do. They'll think they have to see this movie.

THIS!! I 100% AGREE WITH THIS. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Marvel wouldn't take advantage of infinity War by introducing CM to the masses. Especially with her being unknown. It would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce her to the GA before her movie. They want to blindside the audience. They're counting on people not knowing anything about her prior to her films release. When people see Captain "Marvel" combined with the A4 cross promotion they'll think it's a event movie.

Feige already confirmed the events of Avengers 4 are basically the sequel to the events of CM. Meaning the trailers will show similar content. Captain Marvel, Skrulls etc... And with a name like Captain "Marvel" people ain't gonna know what to think. Plus she'll be a female. Marvel's first female.

I thought it was odd when the Infinity War trailer released how Wakanda/Black Panther dominate it was. That was Marvels plan all along. Cross promotion for BP. It's one of the reasons BP performed so well. Riding the A:IW hype train. And it killed the BO. That was a test run for CM. But CM comes out only SIX weeks before A4. Meaning Avengers hype will be at a all time hype when Captain Marvel releases with the exact same content as A4.

I predict CM will do 1.4bil.

Of course you agree with the OP. It’s one of your alts

MrAbductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM has got this.

I only remember Brie from Scott Pilgrim and Kong, has she been on anything else recently?

GrandTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, she sucks ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. I'm more hyped for Wonder Woman 2.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RabumAlal

It will be a better movie as well.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice!

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see it beating WW worldwide at least. Domestic is harder.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of doubt it beats out WW but if it doesn't draw much competition the first month and can get some girl power hype going I think it can come close. I think $700m+ is quite likely.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I don't see it, even with all that.

Wonder Woman is the most recognizable female superhero of all time. Captain Marvel is not. If Marvel wants beat it's gross, they'll have to make a really good movie. And even then, it'snot a guarantee.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers