Favorite DC Animated Movies RESULTS: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox vs. Justice League: War

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

DC's latest animated movie, Batman: Assault on Arkham, will have its world premiere later tonight at San Diego Comic-Con (we should have a review up early tomorrow!), and we wanted to celebrate the project by reflecting on two of the company's more recent animated movies: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradoxand Justice League: War. Jay Oliva directed both of these adventures and both are and based on story arcs by Geoff Johns, but do you like one more than the other? It's a simple question and it turns out the answer is a very clear "yes." A large majority has sided with the dark and bloody Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox!

No Caption Provided

Justice League: War went for big action and big comedy as the team formed to battle Darkseid, but it looks like the people have spoken and they prefer the twisted and compelling look at one of DC's savage alternate worlds. The action was ruthless -- just like the world itself -- and, even though Batman still played a large role, it was great seeing Flash receive so much more focus and the spotlight was well spent on the speedster. His life and who he is was given a proper amount of insight and they still found room to give an emotional bit to another famous character. Plus, the potential behind the alternate world is fascinating and we were given a solid glimpse of just how gripping and brutal the place can be. We were also treated a look at several alternate takes on popular characters yet the focus on Barry still remained strong. Last but not least, it's safe to say a vast majority of us love what the credits sequence teased, right?

The community has been discussing these movies since Monday, so let's see what a few of them had to say about the choices.

NessaXVI

"Flashpoint Paradox is the best DC animated movie so far. The moment Batman / Bruce Wayne shows his vulnerability and drops his wall to show he is human is priceless for any fan. I've watched this movie 3 times. I can't get enough of it. Also, it was great to see Thomas Wayne in action and to see how he was still human too after all he'd been through in his timeline after learning that Bruce was still alive in an alternate one. He still sacrificed his life for his son even though they didn't coexist on the same plane. Amazing."

feedonatreefrog

"JL WAR for me.

Yes, it has some flaws (especially for purists who can't accept change), but it does soooo much right as well. The story is simple, leaving room for fun character actions and the best action ever seen in a DC animated movie, bar none. It knew its strengths and delivered them in spades.

Flashpoint had its moments, but the plot is too meandering and the doom n gloom world wasn't a pleasant place to be. No Green Lantern also drops it a couple points instantly."

No Caption Provided

ZZoMBiE13

"Flashpoint for sure.

I didn't pick up the comics so I can't compare them to the source. But I really enjoyed the movie version. I liked the dark twisted version of the DC universe that Flashpoint showed us. I liked the resolution to the story, I liked the villain, the plot was fun to follow. Pretty much liked every bit of it."

Dud317

"I enjoyed them both. War, is simply surface value fun movie. What you see is what you get. It has it's jokes and action. Nothing wrong with that. Flashpoint however, has more layers. It has betrayal. It examines the love between a parent and child from both POVs. Not to mention the entire premise is based on chaos theory, or the butterfly effect.

It also boils down to this. An avid comic fan generally favors the "what if" storyline, whereas the casual fan may appreciate War better because they don't have to be as familiar with the characters in order to understand the dynamic changes that Flashpoint relies on."

No Caption Provided

Here's the poll's results.

• Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox 62%
  • Justice League: War 20%
  • Sorry, I'm not a fan of either movie 8%
  • I can't choose... I like them both equally! 6%
  • It brings me great shame to admit I haven't watched these movies and won't be able to before Friday 3%
No Caption Provided

Now comes the challenging part, Viners. What's your favorite moment from either of these animated movies? If you can eventually choose one, be sure to share it with the community below and say why it rocks! Don't forget to check the homepage on Monday for a brand new edition of this segment. If you want to suggest a future match-up (it can be comics, TV shows, movies, or video games!), tell us below or reach out via twitter.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Clearly the deciding factor is Aquaman is in one and not the other.

#IamyourKing

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Flashpoint Paradox I'm sorry,but the voices in War were way off.Also I prefer the story of FlashPoint Paradox as opposed to War

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

@fallschirmjager: My thoughts as well. When will DC understand the shear awesomeness that is Aquaman--King of the Seven Seas.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Mrnoital

I thought both were good and both had good parts, flashpoint has one of my favorite fights between powerhouses and a solid storyline, and war has a quick funny put down with some of my favorite animation throughout the movie

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

CorruptedOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE them both, but I always have to decide, so I sided with Flashpoint

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shouldn't the real winner be the one that made the most money? I don't see general audiences taking to Paradox. Comic fans will like it but people who simply want a good fun JL movie will go for War.

Sushrut_Patil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote flashpoint

war didnt give much importance to flash

he was much underrated

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HushoftheWind

@mrnoital said:

I thought both were good and both had good parts, flashpoint has one of my favorite fights between powerhouses and a solid storyline, and war has a quick funny put down with some of my favorite animation throughout the movie

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Man since when the DC universe become the WWF!? Aquaman did the Randy Savage to Wonder Woman and Green Lantern got mobbed stomp like he was marked by the nWo lol

Also, i notice that Flash and Batman are almost in the same running pose when comparing to the 2 covers side by side, wonder whats that about.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mrnoital

@sushrut_patil: except flash was able to hurt darkseid with his punches and stabbed him on his second eye with a crowbar, they gave him fair screen time given that they had to give others similar time

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The ridiculously dark "Flashpoint" which is a great example of all my criticism of modern comics, or the not-in-any-way-compelling "War" which just reminded me that we don't have a real Justice League movie yet…wow, tough call.

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

FLASHPOINT FOR THE WIN! War was just way to easy to pick apart.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The right one, won.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good

KidPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KidPhillip

Flashpoint for me

The focus on flash is refreshing rather than the focus on batman and superman.

my only issue is how every hero in it apparently works out

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#17  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Flashpoint Paradox demolishes War in every way.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I'd say overall war had better animation, and my roommate who doesnt read comics but loves animation agrees

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@mrnoital said:

@madeinbangladesh: I'd say overall war had better animation, and my roommate who doesnt read comics but loves animation agrees

I could care less about the animation, but I still liked the Flashpoint animation better. The main factor is the story for me. Flashpoint DESTROYS War in that case.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: only if you know the source material, like this pages op said avid comic readers preferred flashpoint while casual fans might like war, cause any new information is told to you in that story, while flashpoint has open ends that arent always explained or touched on

true flashpoint has a better storyline, but doesnt stomp, neither me nor my roommate think so

you might, but thats an opinion and not fact

145evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flashpoint!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@mrnoital said:

No Caption Provided

That Hal scene in War made me laugh SO hard.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aquaman01

#IamyourKing

No Caption Provided

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

No Caption Provided

That Hal scene in War made me laugh SO hard.

X927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both movies were excellent. I loved the story of War better because it had Cyborg's origin and more Shazam screen time.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrnoital

@fallschirmjager said:

#IamyourKing

No Caption Provided

This is true, however the after credits video leads right to a Throne of Atlantis storyline that'll hopefully show him off

Jean_Dezem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jean_Dezem

Eh, they're both sub-par in my opinion.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By patrat18

• Sorry, I'm not a fan of either movie 8%

Shameful.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@aquaman01 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

#IamyourKing

No Caption Provided

This is true, however the after credits video leads right to a Throne of Atlantis storyline that'll hopefully show him off

Yeah and it better be good... the current DC Movies haven't been so hot...

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War sucked!

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01 said:

@mrnoital said:

@aquaman01 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

#IamyourKing

No Caption Provided

Yeah, but better than Marvels animated movies

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:
@aquaman01 said:

@mrnoital said:

@aquaman01 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

#IamyourKing

No Caption Provided

Yeah, but better than Marvels animated movies

Boy is that the truth. As much as I've enjoyed the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I've equally hated pretty much every animated thing they've done with Marvel. Only a few are even tolerable. And I'm usually more fond of Marvel's characters than DC's. But DC just has better animated films/television plain and simple.

The only Marvel one I can remember liking in recent memory was AVENGERS: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. And they shitcanned that one, God knows why.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL!

LANTERN GOT STOMPED!

Avatar image for antihero_jaymok
Antihero_Jaymok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I can say is I really enjoyed them both. Guess I'm in the monitory when I say I'm just happy whenever they turn any of these comics into animated movies. XD

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MuyJingo

Both of these movies are absolutely terrible. It's amazing to me that either of them could be peoples favorite DCAU movies. I get liking them, but liking them above all the others ones? Wow. Dat human race huh.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ridiculously dark "Flashpoint" which is a great example of all my criticism of modern comics, or the not-in-any-way-compelling "War" which just reminded me that we don't have a real Justice League movie yet…wow, tough call.

Flashpoint had a reason to be dark. That was not a nice place.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can understand why people prefer Flashpoint - it is "deeper". War was "messy", less "deep" & well frankly, it's new-52 (haha). But I still prefer War because "Justice League: Flashpoint" wasn't really JL. It was not-Batman, not-WW, not-Aquaman, not-Superman, no GL.....etc etc. And I don't feel I can really judge it as a Flash-specific story either. Despite it's flaws War still had a strong "JL vibe" and that's what I enjoyed. We don't get many movies out (at least it feels that way since there's no DC cartoon shows out, so the space between the movies is dead of animated hero content), so if I'm promised JL (my favorite "thing" of DC comics), I want the JL.

Neither is close to my favorite DC animated feature, though.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@micah said:

@amazingwebhead said:

Flashpoint had a reason to be dark. That was not a nice place.

...Fair enough

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzombie13: I'd recommend "Iron Man: Rise of Technovore"

Really cool movie, animation comes off as anime, though.

The Punisher/Widow movie wasn't bad either.

and those are the 2 last movies in the animated department from Marvel I believe, me personally liking them then "Son of Batman" and "War" aka DC's last 2

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at them. :)

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hushofthewind: Aquaman looks like Brock Lensar in Flashpoint the body shapes in that was to over the top..

Flash: You want to see whose faster Superman.

Superman: Not really, I'll be over here, telling Wonder Woman how strong she is.

Batman: *Gets in running position*

Flash: Uhh Bats what are you doing

Batman: I'm Batman!

Green Lantern: Lol

Cyborg: *Watches*

Shazam: Hey Vic you wanna take are friendship to a whole different level.

Cyborg: I don't think I catch your buzz

Shazam: Johns should make us gay, add diversity you know?

Cyborg: Your like 15..

Shazam: Doesn't stop Batman and Robin

Cyborg: *Boomtubes away with Shazam*

^ Next reboot origin, I called it.

LMFAO XD

Kuyamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hushofthewind:

wonder if they went to the same hero running school?...

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mrnoital

@justthatkid: I liked the punisher/black widow movie, but it felt overly anime to me even to the point of anime influencing how the story is played out

they reveal information and introduce characters as if its a rehash and flashback from previous episodes

and the animation was a bit over stylized for me, but those are just personal opinions about that one

I havent watched rise of technovore in a while but it was better if i recall