Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Geoff Johns' FLASHPOINT vs. SINESTRO CORPS WAR

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Geoff Johns' FLASHPOINT vs. SINESTRO CORPS WAR (220 votes)

Flashpoint 27%
Sinestro Corps War 65%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 8%

Geoff Johns of sector 2814, you have the ability to create great stories. Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs segment.

SINESTRO CORPS WAR spread a vicious and bloody war across the cosmos. FLASHPOINT literally changed the entire DC universe and was even the inspiration for a DC animated movie. Both are absolutely massive in scope and packed with A-listers, but which Geoff Johns' event do you enjoy more? Will his work with artist Andy Kubert race to victory in the poll or will Thaal Sinestro refuse to suffer defeat? Prepare to choose, Viners.

Still haven't read either of these epics or do you want to reread them before voting? Well, that won't be a problem! The poll is open until Friday morning (ET). That's more than enough time to think this through and pick a side, right? Also, this gives you plenty of time to convince others why one story deserves to take the victory. And if you think the poll isn't going the way it should, you have a few days to spread the word and bring in more voters. Needless to say, there's an adequate amount of time for the poll to fluctuate. Finally, if your post is legitimately full of win, there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." One will be selected for each story, so have fun getting your elaboration on!

Last but not least, everyone say "you rock, Squalleon!" Why, you ask? Well, Squalleon was the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up (based on the teaser in Friday's article). Way to be awesome, Squalleon.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

This is another poll where I really enjoyed both runs, but to me, the clear winner is Sinestro Corps Wars. Flashpoint is a really good story (probably my favorite Flash story, though to be fair, I haven't read too many), and it had some amazing art by Kubert, but it relied pretty heavily on some of the tie-in comics to fill in the blanks for the readers, and a lot of those tie-ins weren't nearly as well written as the main series (though I did love Azzarello's Batman tie-in and Scott Snyder's Superman tie-in). The animated movie, The Flashpoint Paradox, did a much better job of presenting a much more cohesive storyline, and the story was better for it.

The main story of Sinestro Corps Wars was pretty well contained in the main two GL books at the time (GL and GL Corps), and it is probably one of the best, if not the best GL stories I've ever read (which unlike Flash, I have read my fair share of GL stories). It is epic in scale, and the central conflict revolves around the relationship between Hal Jordan and Sinestro, which to me, is one of the most interesting relationships in comics (somewhat similar to Xavier and Magneto's relationship, in that they used to be friends but are now bitter rivals,, though they still have a begrudging respect for one another). It also shows Hal's continuing struggles to regain the trust of the other Lanterns again, and his efforts to bring people (and, in a broader sense, hope) back to Coast City. I also loved the scene where Hal and Kyle were running across the rooftops, trying to get away from Sinestro without the help of their rings. That was a pretty awesome scene. And the art throughout the story (in both GL and GL: Corps) is amazing.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While I really enjoyed the Flashpoint movie, I really did not enjoy the Flashpoint comic book arc. Sinestro Corps War wins if we're just judging by the books.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By GodTriggerHulk

@erik:

You're not getting it, the actual event that caused the reboot was in the pages of Flashpoint ie. Pandora combining the DC and Wildstorm universes. I just so happened to think this was cool.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hushofthewind: Well it may have ruined Captain Marvel, but without the New 52, I wouldn't be into comics today.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

you can skip reading flashpoint. its has good tie ins, it has Great tie ins... it has bad and okay tieins. mostly its better than not. but again, you can mostly skip it as not integral to any (WHAT How that happen?) moments

Sinestro Corps War. is a comic EVERYONE should read, its that good. Geoff Johns took a comic that was on deathwatch (as in it was on post for a possible cancellation) and made it really good with Rebirth, with Sinestro Corps Wars, it elevated the playing field FOR ALL DC comics, making Geoff Johns GL run one of the Leaders of the pack.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By Erik

@erik:

You're not getting it, the actual event that caused the reboot was in the pages of Flashpoint ie. Pandora combining the DC and Wildstorm universes. I just so happened to think this was cool.

Irrelevant. You are not being asked to judge a story based on what spins out of said story. You're asked to judge the story itself.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@erik:

You still don't understand. My reasons for liking Flashpoint are within your premise.

Fact: The events which re-booted the DC universe were portrayed in the pages of Flashpoint. Furthermore Flashpoint contained a visual representation of the DCU and Wildstorm universe merging, I found this to be cool. Notice how I am not citing any New 52 stories or anything outside of Flashpoint.

These aren't even my only reasons for liking Flashpoint over Sinestro Corps. War.

#1: The revelation that it was The Flash who changed history not the Reverse Flash.

#2: The depiction of Thomas Wayne as Batman and his writing the letter to Bruce.

#3: Grodd of War

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godtriggerhulk: These other reasons are valid reasons. Liking Flashpoint for what came after it (even if the concept was birthed at the conclusion of the event) is still not a valid reason.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Flashpoint was great and I loved Booster Gold's role during the event.
Just because of his performance I'd give my vote to Flashpoint.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DonFelipe

@erik said:

@godtriggerhulk: These other reasons are valid reasons. Liking Flashpoint for what came after it (even if the concept was birthed at the conclusion of the event) is still not a valid reason.

Now you're not making any sense! Everything is a valid reason as long as it happens during the event. If the event changes the universe that change can be a reason for whether you like the event or not. The only thing one couldn't say is "I don't like Flashpoint because the New 52 s*cks" but saying "I don't like how it paved the way for the universe to be changed forever" is valid if you didn't want it to be changed in the first place.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

Now you're not making any sense! Everything is a valid reason as long as it happens during the event. If the event changes the universe that change can be a reason for whether you like the event or not. The only thing one couldn't say is "I don't like Flashpoint because the New 52 s*cks" but saying "I don't like how it paved the way for the universe to be changed forever" is valid if you didn't want it to be changed in the first place.

So one cannot say, "I don't like Flashpoint because the New 52 sucks" but it's perfectly fine to say, "I like Flashpoint because New 52 is awesome"? Now who isn't making any sense?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DonFelipe

@erik said:

@donfelipe said:

@erik said:

So one cannot say, "I don't like Flashpoint because the New 52 sucks" but it's perfectly fine to say, "I like Flashpoint because New 52 is awesome"? Now who isn't making any sense?

I did not say that! Whether you do or do not like the New 52 doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter are the events that had taken place during Flashpoint (Pandora; the merger of the three timelines hence the change of the DCU).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I tried to read the comments section but I'm hyperbol detector kept blowing up.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Erik

@erik said:

I did not say that! Whether you do or do not like the New 52 doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter are the events that had taken place during Flashpoint (Pandora; the merger of the three timelines hence the change of the DCU).

Well the second quote in my argument is exactly what I have been arguing against. Those two voted for Flashpoint specifically because they like New 52. There was nothing to like about the New 52 in Flashpoint yet. It hadn't but just started.

Avatar image for blackserenade83
BlackSerenade83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BlackSerenade83

I haven't read either but I've been wanting to pick up Sinestro Corp War for a while. Johns really turned Sinestro into a badass in everything I've read with him in it.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flashpoint wasn't an awful story, but was ultimately forgettable. Sinestro Corps War was when Geoff John's run on Green Lantern really picked up steam. However, it was co-written by whoever was writing GLC at the time. I think that was before Tomasi stepped in. I believe most of the ideas came from Johns, but its still odd to use a story with a co-writer. And I still maintain that Blackest Night was the real high point. That's the one that should have been featured here. And by the way- "Your Rock, Squalleon!"