Favorite Character Types

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Floopay

I've always been curious as to what draws people towards certain characters. I've already made a thread for people to discuss the reasons they dislike certain characters and for what reasons (http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/secret-disgust/709959/), but I think it's only fair for a thread of the opposite type to exist.

But this is more than that. I'm interested in what qualities draw someone towards a character. There are qualities that make heroes and villains appealing, reasons you love them, love to hate them, enjoy reading them, look forward to reading their issues, playing their games, watching movies/shows with them.

Obviously I'm interested in comic book characters, but feel free to chime in with any character.

Example character types:

• Dark
  • Anti-Hero
  • Brute
  • Brain
  • Clever
  • Funny
  • Brooding
  • Sadistic
  • Boy Scout
  • Cosmic Being
  • Teambuster
  • Evil Incarnate

and there are so many others.

So feel free to post what draws you to a character, or the qualities you like most about a specific character.

Please don't harass anyone for their reasonings, we all read certain characters for certain reasons.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AustinHasten

Well in certain cases, such as with Joker, I enjoy what the character is within the context of another character. Without Batman, Joker isn't so interesting. So lots of things go into my favoritism besides type.

But there are a few types that most of the heroes I enjoy seem to have in common. The main one of them being what I guess you'd call the "Lone Wolf" type. This is what I love about Batman, V, Talon, Jonah Hex (even if he's got Arkham palling around, he'd prefer solitude), and characters like that. For whatever reason, I like it best when no one truly understands the hero, other than themselves. I guess it keeps you guessing, and that's nice.

Also, I don't know what type you'd characterize it as, but I really enjoy when the character adheres to a strict moral code. Of course all heroes have great morals, that's why they're heroes, but some take it a step further, such as Superman or Batman. Even characters such as V or Jonah, whose moral code may not be as "good" as others, it is very strict.

In a villain, really all I ask for is unpredictability. Once again, keep me guessing. If I know what the bad guy is going to do, why even read?

AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AustinHasten

@AustinHasten said:

Well in certain cases, such as with Joker, I enjoy what the character is within the context of another character. Without Batman, Joker isn't so interesting. So lots of things go into my favoritism besides type.

But there are a few types that most of the heroes I enjoy seem to have in common. The main one of them being what I guess you'd call the "Lone Wolf" type. This is what I love about Batman, V, Talon, Jonah Hex (even if he's got Arkham palling around, he'd prefer solitude), and characters like that. For whatever reason, I like it best when no one truly understands the hero, other than themselves. I guess it keeps you guessing, and that's nice.

Also, I don't know what type you'd characterize it as, but I really enjoy when the character adheres to a strict moral code. Of course all heroes have great morals, that's why they're heroes, but some take it a step further, such as Superman or Batman. Even characters such as V or Jonah, whose moral code may not be as "good" as others, it is very strict.

In a villain, really all I ask for is unpredictability. Once again, keep me guessing. If I know what the bad guy is going to do, why even read?

Maybe not Talon, actually, he's starting to partner up with his girlfriend's buddies or whatever.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jonEsherfey

I think it depends and you need variety. For villains I would like sadistic crazy unpredictable people that make the hero think. But for heroes I think that what makes modern comics so great is the variety of everything. Deadpool is great because of how clever and funny he is. Punisher is the greatest anti-hero. But there is Batman who is smart and very dark. Most of them are great.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Inverno

As I said before I prefer villains to be evil incarnate, in a sense they aren't much of a person but a force of nature. Their goals can range from complete domination or chaos but I like when they are so fun to hate.

As for heroes, I like when they are clever, not exactly having a scientific mind or anything as such, but when they use their wits and common sense to solve problems instead of brute force.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

The impossibly strong, mostly noble but always heroic hero.

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FiMFTW

Funny.

Deadpool, Spider-Man, Plastic Man etc. etc.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

The Everyman, the Byronic hero, the swashbuckler.

sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sandiego008

After thinking about this for a minute, I would say there are a few traits that I tend to enjoy in a hero.

1. Confidence/cockyness -- They don't have to be cocky, but these seem to fall hand in hand. Not many people enjoy the characters that always have to be saved by someone else.

2. Real life problems. Think old school spiderman. Had to deal with college, money, girl and play spiderman ... forget to make webbing or not have enough money to make webbing? Spidey would have to change fighting tactics due to no webs.

3. Clever.

4. Mid-upper street levelers. The range in which someone on this level can fight is large. You get the small fries and helping out with the big fries. Think spiderman vs juggernaut.

5. I actually would like to see a hero be made that has some weird traits/habits that no one knows about, and the writer never tells why he is doing it but hints there is a reason. Maybe collecting womens hair, or blood from opponents or stealing costume pieces from other heroes/villians. Imagine Mr. fantastic or Joker doing something like this for a year ... would leave a lot of people thinking WTF.

Basically someone like spiderman who fights street levelers but can fight higher classes due to power set, would like some #5 action in there, and a good bit of confidence. I also prefer light projectile fighting vs heavy melee fighting.

6. Last but not least I enjoy fighters like snowbird who can summon/morph to different beasts based on the scenario she is in. This would lead to interesting story telling ... think ben10 I guess.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StrangeMan

I have a thing for funny, charismatic characters, the fact that they live in such dark worlds (most of the times) and yet they handle things with humor is something that i love, but they still can be serious if it's needed, characters like Wally West, Plastic Man, Peter Parker, The Creeper, etc...

Also i love "old" superheroes, the JSA is my favorite superheroe group and characters like Jay Garrick, Ted Grant and Alan Scott rank among my favorite characters ever.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By z3ro180

@PowerHerc said:

pretty much this

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc said:

pretty much this

Do those traits describe any superhero you can think of? ;)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180

@PowerHerc: Of couse the big three. Herc, Thor and Supes :)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerHerc

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc: Of couse the big three. Herc, Thor and Supes :)

Aye, the big three indeed!

Verily!

.Ajax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By .Ajax.

I love ferals like Sabretooth. However, even better is a feral who is intelligent and uses that intelligence such as Beast and Kraven the hunter. I also like brutes, I have no idea why...just find them entertaining.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Floopay

I guess I'll throw some of my favorites:

Heroes

• Clever - I like clever heroes. I want the hero to think outside the box to achieve his goals when overwhelmed. This is why I don't care for Hulk. Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Thor (at times), Beast, the Doctor, etc. are examples of whom I enjoy.
  • Anti-Hero - These are great types of characters. Someone who is only a hero because they happen to be killing bad guys, not because they are a good person by any means. Wolverine had an Anti-Hero sort of era, Alucard from Hellsing, the Man with No Name, John Constantine, etc.
  • Lighthearted - Characters who don't get hung up on anything. No matter what happens, they are always in a good mood, or work past it. Hercules I loved for this (one of my favorite Brutes of all time to read actually), Deadpool, the Creeper, Quasar, etc.
  • The Determined - Not necessarily emo, but a character who despite everything that has happened to them, and every bit of crap that gets thrown in their direction, they keep pushing forward. Cloud Strife was a bit emo, but I loved him for this, same with Vincent Valentine. Jack Ryder, Punisher, etc.

Villains

• Powerful - The villain should have some sort of advantage, it's what makes them a worthy foe. Surtur, Galactus, Juggernaut (Cain Marko), etc.
  • Brutal - The villain should be unforgiving, deadly, and without remorse. Sebastian Shaw, the Joker, Carnage, Venom, etc.
  • Mastermind - To me, the villain who stays ahead is the best villain. Sebastian Shaw, Joker, Bane, MODOK, Magneto, Apocalypse, etc.
  • Confident - A villain should be devout in his cause, and unwavering. He shouldn't doubt himself. Sephiroth, Sabertooth, the Master, Omega, Darkseid, etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I don't really have a specific character type I look for. My three favourite characters at the moment are Hulk, Spider-Man and Superman, all three of whom are very different.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Floopay said:

I guess I'll throw some of my favorites:

Heroes

• Clever - I like clever heroes. I want the hero to think outside the box to achieve his goals when overwhelmed. This is why I don't care for Hulk. Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Thor (at times), Beast, etc.
  • Anti-Hero - These are great types of characters. Someone who is only a hero because they happen to be killing bad guys, not because they are a good person by any means. Wolverine had an Anti-Hero sort of era, Alucard from Hellsing, the Man with No Name, John Constantine, etc.
  • Lighthearted - Characters who don't get hung up on anything. No matter what happens, they are always in a good mood, or work past it. Hercules I loved for this (one of my favorite Brutes of all time to read actually), Deadpool, the Creeper, Quasar, etc.
  • The Determined - Not necessarily emo, but a character who despite everything that has happened to them, and every bit of crap that gets thrown in their direction, they keep pushing forward. Cloud Strife was a bit emo, but I loved him for this, same with Vincent Valentine. Jack Ryder, Punisher, etc.

Villains

• Powerful - The villain should have some sort of advantage, it's what makes them a worthy foe. Surtur, Galactus, Juggernaut (Cain Marko), etc.
  • Brutal - The villain should be unforgiving, deadly, and without remorse. Sebastian Shaw, the Joker, Carnage, Venom, etc.
  • Mastermind - To me, the villain who stays ahead is the best villain. Sebastian Shaw, Joker, Bane, MODOK, Magneto, Apocalypse, etc.
  • Confident - A villain should be devout in his cause, and unwavering. He shouldn't doubt himself. Sephiroth, Sabertooth, the Master, Omega, Darkseid, etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I was gonna reply and noticed you said pretty much everything I would have, but better. So i'm just gonna mooch off yours and say 'this'

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blackwolf0925

For a hero has to be determined but also flawed.The one hero that comes to mind that I have enjoyed immensely is Naruto. Despite the hardships he has faced his a still a good person, but he also has his moments of weakness. Call it what you will but he is the one that really got me to take anime and manga seriously as a collector. I also like the fact that he acknowledges that he could have became the villain if he let himself go.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By SavageDragon

Anti hero, dark, Super strength, Loner, Swashbuckler and funny guy.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#22  Edited By Teerack

Clever and Funny.

DMXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DMXN

Funny,Clever, Brain

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NeonGameWave

Dark - These types of characters are really interesting in regards to the elements of one`s self such as dark heroes like Batman and what makes them stand out in regards to handling crime, dark characters are very sophisticated.

Anti-Hero - They separate themselves from society, make their own rules and still save the day in their own way

Tragic-Hero - Through relatability is a character such as this very much enduring and endearing as they paint the picture of understanding in which their flaws are shown at the forefront.

Justified Villains - These types of villains are shown as being very complicated and understandable, also they have different goals which sometimes are very heroic within a specific mindset.

There are many more types of characters that I like such as Evil Incarnate, Brain and Funny.