Faster than light speed

Nitric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nitric

Ok, I have a quick question for you all out there.

I've heard of Teleporting being considered faster than light speed. But it made me think, is it even technically light speed?

Speed of light = 299,792,458 meters per second, which is about 186,282 miles per second. One trip fully around the earth is only 40,075,000 meters, or about 24902 miles.

That means that you could teleport anywhere on earth instantly, and still not move faster than light, correct?

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hawk

no...you said instantly....that means zero second. No there is no time for light to start.

Nitric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nitric
Hawk said:
"no...you said instantly....that means zero second. No there is no time for light to start."
Ohhhh... That's the catch. Thanks for clearin that up man, I was thinkin I was smart for a second. lol
Avatar image for the_morningstar
The Morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The Morningstar

Well no technically its still not faster then the speed of light.. because teleporting has more to do with distance and well speed of light is time. So they are two different things.

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hawk
The Morningstar said:
"Well no technically its still not faster then the speed of light.. because teleporting has more to do with distance and well speed of light is time. So they are two different things."
Huh? the speed of light is also .......wait for it......speed.
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vrakmul

Teleporting, The Necron Inertialess drive, The Infinite Improbabillity Drive, Class 0 hyperdrive, Warp 10 aren't really speeds anymore, you cross all points in the universe at once.  And The infinite improbabillity drive does so in the most physics defiling manner possible.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Nighthunter
The Morningstar said:
"Well no technically its still not faster then the speed of light.. because teleporting has more to do with distance and well speed of light is time. So they are two different things."
you are thinking of light years...
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vrakmul

Speed ceases to be a concept with the various instant movement methods available.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the creator

Instant acceleration to light speed could duplicate the 'look' of teleportation over short distances, as to the viewer they would show the same thing - a person suddenly blinking in to existance.
However over massive distances, if the distance to be travelled has no impact on the speed of teleportation, the teleporter will travel far quicker than the speed of light as they do not actually traverse the distance between A and B.