F4 wasn't NEARLY as bad as people are saying

• 101 results
#1 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

In fact it wasn't bad at all, not a perfect film, but not nearly as terrible as people are making it out to be. It is asinine how much hate this film is getting. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, it's not for everyone, but putting it on Catwoman level? Come on now.

It seems like the only legit reason people are hating the movie is because it differs greatly from the source material (And don't say it's not true, a good portion of the haters haven't even seen it) Which is true, but can people grade it on it's own merits? Don't trust the critics, and go see it with an open mind.

Beata

#2 Posted by flameboy298 (2805 posts) - - Show Bio

In fact it wasn't bad at all, not a perfect film, but not nearly as terrible as people are making it out to be. It is asinine how much hate this film is getting.

It seems like the only legit reason people are hating the movie is because it differs greatly from the source material. Which is true, but can people grade it on it's own merits? Don't trust the critics, and go see it with an open mind.

Beata

Agreed I enjoyed it,but I wouldn't defend this film either if I were to go into a open debate about it.I mean it clearly has noticeable problems.However I think this movie is a acquired taste the tone of the movie changes in the second half.

#3 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: I just hope it gets a sequel.

The story is just starting.

Beata

#4 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

it's because the public think mcu made that film.......

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#5 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad things are never as bad as people say they are.

People wanted to hate this movie, so they try to make it worst to justify their hate.

#6 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad things are never as bad as people say they are.

People wanted to hate this movie, so they try to make it worst to justify their hate.

#7 Edited by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#8 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by flameboy298 (2805 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: I just hope it gets a sequel.

Beata

Where you surprised at how Dark it was? I was,I really didn't think it be that dark.I'm not sure children should see it.

#10 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

That's good to hear. I haven't seen it yet but it just seemed like everyone was hating just for the sake of hating it and jumping on the bandwagon. I'm still excited to see it.

#11 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

That's good to hear. I haven't seen it yet but it just seemed like everyone was hating just for the sake of hating it and jumping on the bandwagon. I'm still excited to see it.

#12 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for bluelantern1995
#13 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (3237 posts) - - Show Bio

On the one hand I'm horrified from what I've heard. On the other hand I recognize that my tastes in comicbook movies are different than most. I HATED Thor: The Dark World and The Guardians of the Galaxy which are said to be excellent while I LOVED Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Iron Man 3 for example.

I will see this movie(probably not in theaters but I hardly ever watch movies in the theater) and try to keep an open mind. Here's to hoping its a fun movie!

#14 Posted by RisingBean (9912 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey_jackson: I am in total agreement. It's not top tier but it's not a terrible film either. I gave it a 3 out of 5. It's a middle of the road popcorn movie that I'll add to my DVD collection and would be willing to see a sequel to.

My hope would have been Annihilus would be the villain. Sadly, I'm sure that this FF is a one and done.

#15 Posted by danhimself (21433 posts) - - Show Bio

It being different from the source material is one thing but the acting in the movie was horrible, it seemed as though everyone was just reading their lines and that was it...no emotion to anything....at no point did I feel like I really got to know the characters...it was jumbled mess just jumping from one scene to the next with no feel of flow....3/4 of the way into the movie I turned to my buddy and said "do you feel like we're still at the beginning of the movie?" and he said that he was about to ask the same thing...just plain horrible pacing

so no I'm not hating on it because of the fact that the writers/director didn't give two sh!ts about the source material and that this was about as far from a Fantastic Four movie as you could get but I am hating on the movie because it was honestly just a bad movie

I often tell people that it's ok to like things that others don't but don't try to make excuses for something and say that people are just bandwagon hating something....let's be real here....if 10 people go to see a movie and 9/10 of them come out and separately say that the movie was bad then most chances are that the movie was just bad....with this movie that number is multiplied by millions but the fact still stands that you're in the minority here in liking the movie....good for you....I won't tell you that you're wrong but you do have different tastes than the majority of the people out there

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#16 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey_jackson:

That was the biggest problem.

I liked the movie, I found it entertaining, but I'm still mixed. I will defend what there is to defend about the movie because there is stuff to defend, but I'm still mixed. It started off so greatly - had a great set up of the characters, story and the themes, and actually felt like a "comfortable" film. Then it degenerates into a montage film, then the movie closes very suddenly. It really felt more like a TV pilot. If this were a TV pilot for, say, a Fantastic Four netflix TV show, it would've been much better. What I got was a movie that I enjoyed, which shouldn't earn a 9%... but honestly, I understand why people didn't like the movie very much. Films such as The Wolverine, DoFP, X2: United, Ant Man, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 AND those are just off the top of my head. It was however better than Man of Steel, The Dark World, Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider & and Ghost Rider 2, and definitely better than X-Men: Origins Wolverine. There is no sense in this being under Batman and Robin. That's just dysfunctional.

So what I'm trying to say is that it's not one of the best superhero films, but it's also not the worst. I liked a lot of what I saw and already want to see it again. My second screening is what will set my opinion on the movie. I always find that first screenings of a movie aren't sufficient enough to make judgement.

#17 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

The consensus is pretty compelling. MoS was polarizing, so one can understand why someone would be on one side of the fence or the other but this, this is like trying to argue that Catwoman wasn't as bad as people are saying.

#19 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: Alittle.

But those were the best parts of the movie IMO.

Beata

#20 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I respect your opinion. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

But the fact that 80% of the haters haven't even seen the movie is absurd. So i could careless what the majority says.

Beata

#21 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai said:

The consensus is pretty compelling. MoS was polarizing, so one can understand why someone would be on one side of the fence or the other but this, this is like trying to argue that Catwoman wasn't as bad as people are saying.

I haven't seen Catwoman, so I won't comment on the quality of the movie.

You know... me doing the opposite of what the Fant4stic haters are doing.

#22 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai said:

I haven't seen Catwoman, so I won't comment on the quality of the movie.

You know... me doing the opposite of what the Fant4stic haters are doing.

Going to see a movie that they already know is bad only guarantees that Fox will make another. Besides, many of the haters are going to pirate it anyway. :D

#23 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: Already know?

Beata

Yeah. By looking at sites that reviews movies. There are tons of them and so far, they are all very similar in the consensus. I don't need to rub my nose in a turd to know that it's an unpleasant experience.

#25 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

Beata

I have no idea, Jackson. I'm starting to think the haters saw the movie in their sleep.

#26 Edited by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@spidey_jackson said:

Beata

I have no idea, Jackson. I'm starting to think the haters saw the movie in their sleep.

See above, if you are still without a clue. Seriously, white knighting a movie? You can't protect a movie's feelings.

#27 Edited by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio

"It seems like the only legit reason people are hating the movie is because it differs greatly from the source material."

Thanks for telling me the reason I hate this movie, really, thank you.

#28 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbzk1999: Well you have like half the interweb hating a movie when they haven't even seen it yet, and then the people who don't like it and have seen it put on Catwoman's level?

That's ridiculous.

Beata

#29 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: I'm just trying to tell people to have their own opinion.

There's probably people out there who aren't gonna see it due to critics and would have loved it if they had. Critics aren't gods y'know, consensus doesn't matter either.

Beata

#30 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

There's probably people out there who aren't gonna see it due to critics and would have loved it if they had. Critics aren't gods y'know, consensus doesn't matter either.

Beata

I plan to see it, even though I know it is considered bad by both critics and regular folk alike. I just won't be seeing it opening weekend and I might end up downloading it.

I am well aware that critics are not gods. But they do give you a moderately reliable idea of what to expect. It is the consensus that matters more, tbh. And yes, consensus does actually matter when considering the quality of a film. If the vast majority says something is trash, then the small minority saying that it isn't are not necessarily correct. Again, see my turd comment.

#31 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey_jackson:

I liked the movie, I found it entertaining, but I'm still mixed. I will defend what there is to defend about the movie because there is stuff to defend, but I'm still mixed. It started off so greatly - had a great set up of the characters, story and the themes, and actually felt like a "comfortable" film. Then it degenerates into a montage film, then the movie closes very suddenly. It really felt more like a TV pilot. If this were a TV pilot for, say, a Fantastic Four netflix TV show, it would've been much better. What I got was a movie that I enjoyed, which shouldn't earn a 9%... but honestly, I understand why people didn't like the movie very much. Films such as The Wolverine, DoFP, X2: United, Ant Man, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 AND those are just off the top of my head. It was however better than Man of Steel, The Dark World, Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider & and Ghost Rider 2, and definitely better than X-Men: Origins Wolverine. There is no sense in this being under Batman and Robin. That's just dysfunctional.

So what I'm trying to say is that it's not one of the best superhero films, but it's also not the worst. I liked a lot of what I saw and already want to see it again. My second screening is what will set my opinion on the movie. I always find that first screenings of a movie aren't sufficient enough to make judgement.

Better than Man Of Steel. Okay I have to see this.

#32 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: You can't be "correct" about a movie. I know a guy who's favourite CBM is Ghost Spirit of Vengeance. And we all know what people thought of that.

I'm not trying to tell people that the movie is this masterpiece, i'm just trying to say give it a

chance and you may like it. Despite what the critics say. And if you don't like it, not a big deal. It's just six bucks.

Beata

#33 Edited by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't be "correct" about a movie.

Whew! Glad we got that out of the way. So we can assume that you are not correct about the FF?

I know a guy who's favourite CBM is Ghost Spirit of Vengeance. And we all know what people thought of that.

And that only supports the theory that you are wrong, really. Your friend likes an absolutely terrible movie and now, so do you.

I'm not trying to tell people that the movie is this masterpiece, i'm just trying to say give it a

chance and you may like it. Despite what the critics say. And if you don't like it, not a big deal. It's just six bucks.

I plan to give it a shot, I did see Catwoman after all. I just plan to do it long after a sequel is out of the question.

Beata

Erik

#34 Posted by RisingBean (9912 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: I figured the box office and reviews would have them altering plans much as Sony did for it's Spider-verse.

At any rate if they put it out I'll be there.

#35 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: I'm not implying that my opinion is better thanybody elses am i? I'm just saying give the movie a chance because enjoyment is subjective. But i do think you're being overly negative about a movie you haven't even seen yet. You could end up hating it, it's not for everyone, but you can't say a movie is terrible if you haven't seen it.

Citizen Kane is considered the greatest film ever. But i'd be lying if i said i liked it. Why? Because i've yet to see it. I can't just say something is good or bad because the majority thinks so.

Beata

#36 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: I'm not implying that my opinion is better thanybody elses am i? I'm just saying give the movie a chance because enjoyment is subjective. But i do think you're being overly negative about a movie you haven't even seen yet. You could end up hating it, it's not for everyone, but you can't say a movie is terrible if you haven't seen it.

Citizen Kane is considered the greatest film ever. But i'd be lying if i said i liked it. Why? Because i've yet to see it. I can't just say something is good or bad because the majority thinks so.

Beata

To summarize: Let's all respect everyone else's opinions.

And yes, I can absolutely say that something is terrible without seeing it. I know torture is terrible. I have never seen it. I know that a 3rd degree burn over 60% of your body is terrible, though I have never seen it. I know that Hitler was a terrible person, without ever having met him. You don't need to experience things before forming a valid opinion on it. Or as Christ Farley put it:

Loading Video...

I don't have an opinion on the movie based on seeing it. I have an opinion on the movie based on critical review, general review, and the reviews of trusted comic book friends. I really have no reason to see it other than to give Fox money at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#37 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Beata

Yeah, you tell 'em, Frodo.

#38 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for darkdetective27
#39 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Im glad it wasnt that bad.

#40 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@spidey_jackson said:

Beata

See above, if you are still without a clue. Seriously, white knighting a movie? You can't protect a movie's feelings.

When did I ever white knight it? This isn't romance!

#41 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio

You sure fooled me, based on how ardently you are trying to boost the quality of opinion on this film. It's like a circle-jerk thread for the handful of people that liked it.

#42 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: You're really out of line.

You flatout admit that your opinion is dictated by other people, but we're circle jerkers?

Beata

#43 Edited by ImmortalOne (4064 posts) - - Show Bio

Or maybe it is that bad, and you're just the minority to like a trash film. Don't be trying to present your opinions as facts and think anyone with a differing opinion is being "asinine" and incorrectly sum up their legitimate criticisms.

As for whether to listen to critics or not, I don't want to waste my time or money on a film that is widely agreed to be trash. Ergo, you won't be seeing me muster the will to watch it for some time.

#44 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

"It's not THAT bad"

Very compelling.

My mind still hasn't changed about not spending money to see it.

#45 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

@spidey_jackson:

Better than Man Of Steel. Okay I have to see this.

:/

#46 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai said:
@theamazingspidey said:

You sure fooled me, based on how ardently you are trying to boost the quality of opinion on this film. It's like a circle-jerk thread for the handful of people that liked it.

First it was white knighting, now it's circle jerk. It looks like you're just bouncing from one term to another figuring out what to say next. Making me more confused.

#47 Edited by Just_Banter (12423 posts) - - Show Bio

Still just gonna watch it online.

#48 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

Still just gonna watch it online.

"Be prepared for what is co-"

FOX: "cut, cut. Forget about that scene. Let's do a reshoot."

All jokes aside, I really do hope you find something to like the movie.

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
#49 Posted by RudeBomberBoy01 (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I gotta agree with the OP. While the movie wasn't exactly 'great', it was OK and definitely not as bad as Catwoman/everyone is making it out to be.

There are some good parts in the movie for what it's worth. *sigh*

#50 Posted by ThePieter (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah it's a piece of shit I'd rather watch Superman IV.