Events, jumping on points & renumbering

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

Hi a

I'm catching up on spider-verse, short version. It's really really good. Plenty of mark out moments, it's right in a happy middle between being a gimmick and Grant Morrison-style 'everything counts'.

What I'm pissed off though is the mess of tie ins and navigating the whole story by jumping from issue to issue. This is nothing new to us but comics are going mainstream, and publishers need to learnt to make this easier. We're used to using google or picking up a card in the LCS to tell us which issues are part of an event (and what order). Your everyday person isn't, if it trips up parents then you are failing.

This is my view so feel free to disagree but if you do, please suggest a better option if only for conversation's sake.

Marvel & DC have no problem ripping up continuity or renumbering issues (Marvel Now, New 52, OMIT etc) so when an event is on why don't they just take all the random issues and rename them Spider-Verse 1, Spider-Verse 2 etc. instead of:

Superior Spider Man 32

Edge of Spider-Verse 1 of 5

etc.

After all, they renumber so often and then 'reset' when a big number comes up. But does that Thor 600 etc bring in new long term readers?

Keep it simple so a kid can say "Can I have Spider-Verse 8 please!" and a parent can ask for this simply. Parents aside, even a new comic reader will feel more comfortable asking for this. I remember getting back into comics after 10 years and going into a LCS trying to make sense of Destiny War was intimidating!

Anyway that's my rant. It's not new, it's maybe not original but I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Is tradition more important or am I missing an obvious reason for numbering issues.