ETERNALS (2021) Discussion Thread & Review {SPOILERS]

Avatar image for deactivated-635a8f29e06c3
deactivated-635a8f29e06c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll ETERNALS (2021) Discussion Thread & Review {SPOILERS] (24 votes)

Masterpiece 13%
Good 29%
ok 17%
Bad 13%
big doo doo 29%

Just came back from cinema after watching eternals, and first thing i'd like to mention are the unintentional plot-similarities to Transformers 5 The Last Knight, haha. They even both have gemma chan as a weird android goddess thing disguising as a human.

A mega-robot-god rising out of the earth? where have i heard that before?
A mega-robot-god rising out of the earth? where have i heard that before?

Don't worry, this movie is definitely better than Transformers 5, and I was honestly surprised that it has a 50~% on rotten tomatoes. I though it was a quite decent flick, although i do understand some of the critics comparisons of Eternals to the Snyder-era DC. good thing for me though, i quite liked that as well.

Indeed, much like the snyder-era, Eternals contains an abundance of mythological and religious imagery. The eternals and deviants, both created by God/Arishem. The deviants/Demons reneged on their purpose to serve Him, and are thusly combated by the eternals/Angels. And yet, halfway through the movie it becomes clear that its not as simple as Celestials/Eternals/Good vs Deviants/Evil. And it begins with the addition of a fourth party: Man/mortals. A recurring theme in this movie is the Nature of Man. do humans deserve to be saved? are we a lost cause? "They are ugly, filled with hatred, weak!" Ares cries out in the climax of WonderWoman(2017) "Theyre all you say, and so much more" Diana replies. This exchange from a different CBM encapsulates the core of eternals, as our protagonists struggle with their human interactions and their own all-too-human emotions. A harrowing scene depicts genocide in Tenochtitlan, demonstrating firsthand the potential for great evil humans possess, made more effective by the fact that this actually happened in real life, many times. And when the world is ending as a result of the plans of their god-master Arishem, they grapple with the choice of whether to obey their purpose or renounce their god to do the right thing. The emotional beats amidst the (pardon my pretentious ass) profundity of the plot work well enough, with the main cast portraying their characters convincingly. This results in a contemplative, well-shot, well-acted movie, perhaps striving for heights beyond that of typical superhero fare.

I do have my gripes, of course, such as the visual effects (especially for the deviants). The soundtrack manages to be ignitable and epic during the key moments, but otherwise fails to soar for most of the movie's substantial duration. The action, coupled with the display of the Eternal's different powersets, can be a little dull (action scenes have slight similarites to snyder-era portrayal of 'gods', but to a muted degree. Zhao should have went all the way with snyder-era comparisons), but overall these flaws are not deep enough to significantly impair an otherwise excellent movie.

My verdict: Good. 7.5/10.

What were your thoughts on the movie?

• 
TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it the worst MCU movie? if not what is urs?

Avatar image for deactivated-635a8f29e06c3
deactivated-635a8f29e06c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: Nah, Ant Man & Wasp is. Although i am sometimes tempted to list down Thor Ragnarok or Captain Marvel or Endgame lmao, and not because i see them as bad movies, but because i just fundamentally disagree with some of the decisions taken in those films.

DammeFavour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was excellent

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By frozen  Moderator

It was a frustrating film. I was enjoying the first half due to its epic scope and romance. But the midway point it became very messy and the final act was awful. Strong points was the chemistry between the cast and Gemma Chan. Weak points mainly the plot reveals, CGI and Ikaris (dull) and Sprite (annoying). Also the deviants. Overall among the bottom barrel of MCU entries.

Compared to Shang Chi, it was a big step down. That said it had beautiful cinematography and the sex scene was surprisingly daring for a MCU movie.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nassergrant19
@frozen said:

It was a frustrating film. I was enjoying the first half due to its epic scope and romance. But the midway point it became very messy and the final act was awful. Strong points was the chemistry between the cast and Gemma Chan. Weak points mainly the plot reveals, CGI and Ikaris (dull) and Sprite (annoying). Also the deviants.

Compared to Shang Chi, it was a big step down. That said it had beautiful cinematography and the sex scene was surprisingly daring for a MCU movie.

What? How was Ikaris dull? He was my favorite part of the film and honestly carried it. Loved the moral dilemma that he struggled with and conflict he endured. A choice between non-biased creators or being biased towards your loved ones while endangering the balance of the universe. However in the end he stuck to his heart and helped his loved ones. People were praising his character and loved his arc with Sersi. This is the whole reason the plot was changed towards the end to make Ikaris’s leaving ambiguous and open to a return.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frozen  Moderator

@nassergrant19: He just came across as a Superman clone IMO, but a less interesting version. I could see his decision to not kill Sersei coming from a mile away. For most of the film he didn't really convey much emotion and seemed robotic at times. This isn't a knock on Richard Madden either, he is a terrific actor as seen in films such as Rocketman. The writing just wasn't there. As for what people are saying, I can't comment on that. The film has pretty bad reviews across the board. I think the other characters (Cersei, Phastos and Kingo) were way more interesting - with Cersei and Kingo carrying.

It's all down to opinion at the end of the day, but I really don't think this was a good film - especially after Shang Chi.

webinyoureye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By webinyoureye11

I rate this as the worst MCU movie after incredible Hulk and Iron Man ii. I was actively avoiding the urge to go on my phone while watching the film.

The pacing was stunningly bad - I came back from the film 2 hrs ago and I'm struggling to remember the dialogue in the second act.

The villains were bad. Ikarus was easy to root for since his motivation was sensible but his acting was blander than Brie Larsons Captain Marvel. Kro?? I think that was his name, was off putting to look at, useless and held zero screen presence. Also the way he died...lol what. He died trying to seduce Thena.

The action was generic. The only time someone was actually creative with their abilities was Makkari at the beginning of the movie throwing a sonic Boom. After that one instance every use of powers was generic blasting and basic weapons plus whatever Phastos made that was never explained.

Ajak and Sprite were bad characters outright and I hated them.

The movies humor was bland and annoying

The way they beat the celestial was a hilariously bad deux ex machina. It was so clearly pulled out of their ass lol

Also the worst part of this movie is they tease Blade without showing him.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

He just came across as a Superman clone IMO, but a less interesting version. I could see his decision to not kill Sersei coming from a mile away. For most of the film he didn't really convey much emotion and seemed robotic at times.

Well perhaps since I’m an expert/huge fan of 616 Ikaris I interpreted a bit differently. Anyways they said they went out if their way to make him not like Superman, despite his similarities. Ikaris’s whole arc was learning to free himself from being a loyal soldier blinded by rules.

As for emotion idk but I felt it completely and many viewers identified with his struggle. He has a serious face in a lot of scenes but your forgetting that’s his whole character. He’s the loyal soldier, and he constantly suppresses his emotions. That’s why it was so amazing when he had those socially awkward scenes with Sersi and when he broke mentally after doing his duty for Arishem.

This is Ikaris’s face 99% of the time in the comics.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

He’s known for being serious due to being descended from the polar Eternals and Sersi even tells him he’s too serious. He becomes more expressive when he comes in contact with non-Eternals like Thor, Quasar, Captain America, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.

Madden portrayed the seriousness of Ikaris perfectly while at the same time showing his desire for love.

This early in his MCU appearance it’s expected for him to have that serious demeanor, when they bring him back he’ll probably be much less serious. Especially since he learned the errors of being a loyal soldier and he’ll encounter more heroes.

This isn't a knock on Richard Madden either, he is a terrific actor as seen in films such as Rocketman. The writing just wasn't there. As for what people are saying, I can't comment on that. The film has pretty bad reviews across the board. I think the other characters (Cersei, Phastos and Kingo) were way more interesting - with Cersei and Kingo carrying.

Agreed on Sersi and Kingo. I liked Phastos as well but I don’t think he carried as much as them.

It's all down to opinion at the end of the day, but I really don't think this was a good film - especially after Shang Chi.

Shang Chi was definitely better but I think Eternals was a really good film.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@nassergrant19: On phone atm so forgive me for formatting:

Anyways they said they went out if their way to make him not like Superman, despite his similarities

Interesting. Though per the director's world they took heavy influence from Man of Steel when depicting Ikaris:

No Caption Provided

I can't make any comments on comic accuracy as I know nothing about the comic version. I can only speak as to what I felt as a new viewer. The film had a lot on its plate, but I can't say with conviction that I'll care that much for this character going forward.

In fact, I was most interested by Kit Harington going forward. Seeing him become a superhero and go after Cersei seems more intriguing. Thematically I think it could be argued that Ikaris shouldn't return, because it would make his suicide more tragic. Though MCU never sticks to deaths so he will likely return.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

I can't make any comments on comic accuracy as I know nothing about the comic version. I can only speak as to what I felt as a new viewer. The film had a lot on its plate, but I can't say with conviction that I'll care that much for this character going forward.

I see

In fact, I was most interested by Kit Harington going forward. Seeing him become a superhero and go after Cersei seems more intriguing. Thematically I think it could be argued that Ikaris shouldn't return, because it would make his suicide more tragic. Though MCU never sticks to deaths so he will likely return.

Wow this is one of the rare things we disagree on lol. I feel the complete opposite. Wasn’t really a fan of the Black Knight tbh. I feel like the MCU Ikaris and Sersi connection is much better. I’m also looking forward to Ikaris in the future MCU to a much higher degree.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@nassergrant19: Yeah seems like we disagreed interestingly, at least we were able to be civil though 👍

I don't really know anything about Black Knight, I just think it's a good setup. First Sersei was saving him and refusing to give up on him, and now he will do the same for her. Its simple but I like thematic stuff like that. I also think him and Blade will be a cool duo.

I also replied to our PM.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 krisbishop  Moderator

It was decent. Plenty of flaws to pick out, but the good does outweigh the bad. Way over-hated.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

Yeah seems like we disagreed interestingly, at least we were able to be civil though 👍

Yup👍

I don't really know anything about Black Knight, I just think it's a good setup.

It is but in the comics he’s not that famous. He just helps the Avengers and has pretty basic abilities with his sword.

First Sersei was saving him and refusing to give up on him, and now he will do the same for her. Its simple but I like thematic stuff like that.

I agree thematically but I just like the Ikaris/Sersi theme better😭. I feel like the Black Knight should get a love interest in his own personal MCU lore. Not really with the Eternals, I feel like that’s Ikaris’s domain especially considering he’s the poster child of that franchise.

I also think him and Blade will be a cool duo.

DEFINITELY. Top-tier skill feats for sure.

I also replied to our PM.

Yeah I responded👍

SpiderMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpiderMe

This is a legitimately fantastic film. They surprisingly succeeded at making me actually care for every single member of this huge main cast, it poses extremely complex and interesting moral questions, and explores love in a variety of beautiful ways as well as the family dynamic. The Ikaris twist was surprising and well done, and they did a great job of making the family feel heterogeneous in the way they responded to the news that their lives had been a lie. It's also just gorgeous and left me wanting to see more of the Eternals. The whole thing was a masterful work of art and possibly the most interesting thing Marvel Studios has ever put out.

ANGELICA10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was so bland and forgettable. It's one of the worst MCU movie which tells a lot because MCU generally consists of sub-par movies.

Pros:

• Action

• Celestials sequence

Cons:

• Forgettable characters

• Characters having zero chemistry with each other

• Bad writing

• Kro being lame af

• Shitty plot etc

Can go on but overall this movie is like a 4-5/10 with generally negatives. It's not horrible as Captain marvel or Iron man 2 or 3 however

YunoboGoro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By YunoboGoro1

Movie was so bland and forgettable. It's one of the worst MCU movie which tells a lot because MCU generally consists of sub-par movies.

Pros:

• Action

• Celestials sequence

Cons:

• Forgettable characters

• Characters having zero chemistry with each other

• Bad writing

• Kro being lame af

• Shitty plot etc

Can go on but overall this movie is like a 4-5/10 with generally negatives. It's not horrible as Captain marvel or Iron man 2 or 3 however

Same thoughts.

Concept of movie was pretty interesting, but they ruined it

Alphamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fine, the deviants were kinda just pushed to the back along with kro which sucked seeing as there could have been great drama between him and the eternals. The action was pretty good especially with makkari fighting ikaris. The relationship between serisi and ikaris should have been shown more when they were married to really show there chemistry because the movie didn’t really give us a lot. Really liked durig and makkari’s chemistry though, definitely would like to see those two get together in later films. I feel like they should have given a bit more screen time to spirte and her problems as being a forever kid just a bit more because we kinda only see her problem like one time at the beginning of the movie trying to hook up with a guy. The celestial’s look amazing and god like, and we’re humongous so that was great. Kinda wished they didn’t kill off ikaris, I was kinda hoping he would try and reddem himself but helping out humanity more or something like that but that’s just me. Overall it was a decent film, it definitely should have been given a longer runtime to give this characters a bit more substances since they were where the focus of the film.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No strong emotions. Neither hated nor loved it