Essentials Comics for 9/23/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This Wednesday, a whole slew of new comics will come out, assaulting you with too much awesomeness to deal with. Don't fret, as the staff of Comic Vine has searched through this week's new comics and picked out the books you need to keep your eye out for this week.

Tony's Picks

GRAYSON #12

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Tim Seeley and Tom King

Art by Mikel Janin

The moment many have been waiting for is coming. Dick Grayson is headed back to Gotham City. Since the events in Forever Evil when his secret identity was revealed to the world, the question of what this meant for him has been hanging over his head. We saw this lead to the faking of his death and the move to infiltrate Spyral to discover what exactly they were up to. Now that his original mission is over, it seems he’d kind of like to come home now. But with Bruce Wayne sort of indisposed and those in the Bat-Family actually believing he was dead, it could lead to uncomfortable times as no one will really be throwing a welcome home party with all the deception. We also know he’ll be playing a role in the upcoming BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL so this could be the issue everyone finds out the truth.

What about his days at Spyral? No way is he finished with them. Things are just heating up with that story. I’m still waiting for a certain Agent Zero to show up again. As much as I’d love to see Dick Grayson return to his days of being Nightwing, Tim Seeley and Tom King have been setting up some interesting plot points with Dick’s time at Spyral.

FURY: SHIELD 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by David Walker

Art be Lee Ferguson

We’ve been seeing some pretty cool SHIELD anniversary one-shots focusing on different characters. With FURY, it looks like we’ll be getting both the original Nick Fury as well as Nick Fury Jr. The two characters are pretty different and the idea of the two playing off each other is an interesting one. Of course there’s the question of will they actually be working together. How did ORIGINAL SIN end? From the previews, we see the parallels between a case the two are/were involved in. Those pages were enough to capture my interest.

The other factor making this cool is the fact that David Walker is writing the issue. Not only is he a pretty cool guy, he’s also captured my interest in the pages of his CYBORG run. Lee Ferguson’s art looks pretty cool as well and gives off a nice vibe for the story. As much as I miss the original Nick Fury, I’ll be sure to gobble this up this week.

WE ARE ROBIN #4

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Lee Bermejo

Art by James Harvey

Life’s not easy being a Robin. That’s what the kids in the We Are Robin team have painfully discovered. Lee Bermejo is giving the concept of the Robin as a sidekick a new twist with a group of street smart kids taking over the colors or Robin to help take care of Gotham City. Of course we can’t help but wonder how good of an idea this will be for the kids in the long run. We also discovered who was behind putting all of this together. There will definitely be repercussions to be seen.

Bermejo along with Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph are giving us a different type of Batman-related comic. There are familiar elements present but it’s also building up its own identity. We’ve seen that the new Batman isn’t too keen on these kids putting their lives at risk and now Batgirl will be showing up so it’ll be interesting to see how that encounter goes.

ASTRO BOY OMNIBUS Volume 1 TPB

No Caption Provided

(Dark Horse)

Written by and art by Osamu Tezuka

It’s hard to believe that Astro Boy has been around since the 1950s. Osamu Tezuka’s original run is classic and should be read by anyone remotely interested in the characters and concept he came up with. You may have read some stories with Astro Boy before or seen some animated episodes or the 2009 movie. This is the material that inspired it all.

This oversized omnibus collection contains nearly 700 pages or pure Astro Boy joy. With a price tag of $19.99, that a pretty great deal if you’re looking for something new to read or the opportunity to re-read the classic stories. It’s interesting to note that there is message that while some of the early depictions of different races could be seen as insulting, the decision was made to keep the original work in tact. This could also open the door to discussions in how times have changed if you read this volume with others.

And let’s not forget about the machine guns in his butt.

1872 #3

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Gerry Duggan

Art by Nicole Virella

It’s always fascinating when a series catches you off guard. While this story takes place in an alternate reality world/section of Battleworld in the Secret Wars story, you don’t expect sudden changes or deaths of major characters. We’ve seen western comics before and even the current characters in the occasional western story but who would’ve thought full on bringing them into the west could be so much fun?

With the events from the last issue, there’s no telling what is coming up next. There’s a big ‘anything goes’ feeling with this set in an alternate world. You can also almost feel how much fun Gerry Duggan is having writing the story with these characters. 1872 is getting to be a year I’d love to see more of.

Honorable Mention: WOLF #3

Mat's Picks

HELLBOY 100 PROJECT

No Caption Provided

(Dark Horse/Hero Initiative)

Art by Various

This week's top essential comic pick from me is a bit different. The Hero Initiative has been putting out these pretty fantastic collection books titled the "100 Project" for quite some time now. Inside each book, 100 artists take on a character and draw them.

The Hero Initiative is a not-for-profit company to help comic creators that need medical assistance or financial assistance. The Hero Initiative helps those in the industry that have brought fans so much joy over the years.

Anyway, I really like Hellboy and can't wait to see different artist's interpretations of the character. We get to see some really cool art and this all goes to a really good cause so it's really a double win.

THE FLASH #44

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Robert Venditti and Van Jensen

Art by Brett Booth

Inks by Norm Rapmund

Colors by Andrew Dalhouse

A new group of rogues is in Barry Allen's life, but this time, they were put together by Zoom. I love this new crew of villains that have been assembled to take down the Flash, especially Folded Man.

The last issue left Barry in the middle of the ocean, which was his first time taking on the Acolytes of Zoom, so the future for Barry doesn't look too promising. However, I'm much more excited to see a full on battle with Barry and the Acolytes, since round one seemed like a little bit of a fluke.

One of the things I really love about this run is the way Brett Booth sets up his pages. There's so much movement and creativity on every page, so while the reader is getting something that reads well, they're also getting something visually unique too.

BOOK OF DEATH #3

No Caption Provided

(Valiant)

Written by Robert Venditti

Art by Robert Gill and Doug Braithwaite

Colors by David Baron and Brian Reber

How about the end of the last issue of BOOK OF DEATH? Pretty nutso, right? Master Darque returns and has apparently been behind a bit of what's going on in this summer event. One of the reasons I really started enjoying this book was because of how much Eternal Warrior plays a role into this book, as a protector.

This is the second to last issue of the story, even though there's quite a few tie-ins to keep people pleased and keep this story full. It touches on all of the Valiant universe and the connection to the Geomancer as well. I have a feeling this is going to have some big repercussions in the rest of the universe after the fog has cleared.

The book has some great art from Robert Gill and Doug Braithwaite as well. Valiant put their top talent on this book and it truly shows.

FIGHT CLUB 2 #5

No Caption Provided

(Dark Horse)

Written by Chuck Palahniuk

Art by Cameron Stewart

I admit I've never read Fight Club, the book, and I've only seen the film, but FIGHT CLUB 2 has been incredibly easy to follow, even though it's just mere moments from being one of the most insane books I've read in the past year.

Cameron Stewart does some dynamite artwork on this series, and some of the smaller things I really found myself loving were how medication and pills tend to block what's going on in some of the panels. The art and color work on this series are downright brillaint.

Obviously, this is more of an adult read, but the story is completely engrossing, especially seeing how it started with life in suburbia, but ended up back at the house where everything seemed to start.

WEIRDWORLD #4

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by Mike Del Mundo

Finally, things get a little weird with WEIRDWORLD. I originally started reading this book because Mike Del Mundo was doing a book with "weird" in the title and I thought to myself, "that seems about right." He did not fail to impress as this was a book made for his art style.

Jason Aaron has done a wonderful job giving this lesser-known Avengers guest a brand new life and bringing in a new era of fantasy-adventure to Marvel comics, something that's been missing for quite some time.

WEIRDWORLD turned out to be a hit and if that isn't enough to get you to pick this up, there's a whole issue a Man-Things coming our way in the newest issue this week. There's no way to say that without it sounding dirty.

There you have it! We'll see you next week. Let us know what books you're looking forward to in the comment section below.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just Grayson #12 and Deathstroke #10 for me this week.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh cool, glad to see someone else picking up that Astro Boy Omnibus :)

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Why Lee Bermejo do you have to tease us with your gorgeous covers and not give us interiors? Oh well, there is always Suiciders.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King Authur

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always up to see Mike Del Mundo draw a whole bunch of man-things!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invisible Republic, 1872, & Weirdworld for me this week.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

Sadly, I had to drop Flash. Booth's art just isn't doing it for me and the story is blah.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

One of the reasons I really started enjoying this book was because of how much Eternal Warrior plays a role into this book, as a protector.

Err, umm........seems like a weird way to word that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book of Death #3.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My essentials for the week,

1. Deathstroke #10

2. The Flash #44

3. Grayson #12

4. Sinestro #15

5. Harley Quinn and Power Girl #4

florto86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By florto86

Grayson #12 and We are Robin #4 definitely shaping up the Robin Wars story line....the ending to We are robin #3 was so tight. can not wait to see how Damien Wayne feels about the robins or the nest

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By derekvang
skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only thing that looks interesting to me is book of death and Grayson

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man can All-New Marvel start now?

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only getting Flash out of their picks, but still picking up a few others.

1. Flash #44

2. Empty Zone #4

3. Invisible Republic #6

4. Nameless #5

5. Wolf #3

6. Negative Space #2

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nothing too exciting for me this week. Just picking up Book of Death and Attilan Rising.

My real essentials is reading through the Astro City books that I picked up in the Comixology sale last week. They have been fantastic.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot! I just found out that most of my pulls for this week got delayed!

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Man-Thing tease on the Weirdworld cover

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Folly

Grayson and Book of Death, perhaps Fury too if I have enough money left.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rac_shade

My Pull this week :

• Invisible Republic #6

• Mythic #4

• Nameless #5

• Negative Space #2

• Rumble #7

• Spire #3

• Weirdworld #4

• Wolf #3

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash #44 for me this week plus The Flash Season 1 blu-ray.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Horse:

• Fight Club 2 #5

DC:

• Flash #44
  • Grayson #12

Marvel:

• Kanan #6
  • Runaways #4
  • Weirdworld #4

Valiant:

• Book of Death #3
Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Weirdworld has been one of my favorite books in a long time. I really hope Marvel continues with it's Fantasy driven Comic lines.

nichart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Fight Club 2 for me this week. Sadly had to trim my pull list quite a bit here lately.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh good another SHIELD book.

Dear Marvel, the horse is dead. Quit beating it.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By JV

Really enjoying this Flash story and the ensemble of characters

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I want to know is when will marvel's abortion called the secret wars be over? Sick of this god awful crap.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to read Book of Death soon. Heard good things about it.