Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio

Every Wednesday, hundreds of new comic books are released, and figuring out what books are worth reading can be a daunting task. Luckily, we're here to help you out with that. Here are eight upcoming issues, in no particular order, you should consider buying on Wednesday, August 1.

Batman #4

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

This new volume of Batman has been a blast so far. Writer Tom King is laying out a ton of seeds for future stories, including Batman having his own Suicide Squad. Right now, the Dark Knight is working with two new heroes: Gotham and Gotham Girl. What sets them apart from Batman is that they have super powers, but they still lack the detective skills of the Caped Crusader. This is currently one of DC's best books, so it's worth checking out.

Harley Quinn #1

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Harley Quinn is back, although it feels like she never left us. Writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti come back to pen the series with returning artist Chad Hardin. The past volume had a lot of heart with a lot of incredibly humorous and sometimes insane moments. Hopefully, the same tone is continued in this new volume as well. This is a great jumping-on point for new readers.

Suicide Squad Rebirth #1

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

Considering that the Suicide Squad movie will be hitting theaters on August 5 (check out our review), now is the perfect time to breathe some fresh air into this team. However, this book isn't an adaptation of the film: it seems inspired by the movie, based on the team line-up. What's really got us excited is that Rob Williams is running the show, and he's been turning out some dynamite stuff at DC.

Unfollow #10

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

• Published by Vertigo
  • Written by Rob Williams
  • Art by Ryan Kelly

Speaking of Rob Williams, the next issue of Unfollow hits stores. The 140 recipients of a social media mogul's millions are being hunted down, one by one. There was a pretty huge reveal at the end of issue #9, which changes everything. We'll be curious to see how it all plays out in this newest issue.

Nailbiter #24

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Nailbiter has been a series first and foremost about serial killers. However, under that layer, this book is about secrets: ones almost too deep to uncover. Apparently, this issue is going to reveal a secret history about Buckaroo, Oregon, the home of a whole slew of serial killers. We are intrigued to see what Williamson and Henderson have in store for us this week.

Deadpool V Gambit #3

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

A book like Deadpool V Gambit feels like an immense amount of fan service. It has two characters, each with a large fan following, being silly and beating people up. However, the book has been a huge surprise. It has a great sense of humor, but the comedy doesn't detract from the main story. Ben Blacker and Ben Acker are creating a smart and silly book, all at the same time.

Moon Knight #5

No Caption Provided

Moon Knight has been a surreal adventure that keeps the reader wondering whether what they are seeing is real or all in Marc Spector's head. To make matters more confusing, this issue will have Moon Knight facing off against Moon Knight. This is easily the best run with this character in decades, especially with the quality of art Greg Smallwood and colorist Jordie Bellaire have been delivering.

Punisher #4

No Caption Provided

Becky Cloonan and Steve Dillon's Frank Castle is the strong, silent type. This new volume delves into Castle's past, all while leaving him in a hail of gunfire. The series, thus far, has a great mix of action and story. It's extremely well-balanced for a comic about a guy who shoots his way out of everything. This week's issue should pack an explosive punch.

Looking for even more comic to pick up this week? Here are some more recommendations!

DC

• Aquaman #4
  • Green Arrow #4
  • Nightwing #2
  • Superman #4

Vertigo

• Sheriff of Babylon #9

• Deadly Class Volume 4
  • Paper Girls #8
  • Tokyo Ghost #9

Marvel

• Deadpool #16
  • Marvel Tsum Tsum #1
  • Vote Loki #3
Staff
#1 Edited by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Essentials: Aquaman, Batman, Justice League, Suicide Squad Rebirth, Superman.

Honorable Mentions: Green Arrow, Green Lanterns.

Others: Harley Quinn, Nightwing.

#2 Posted by tchalla3000 (119 posts) - - Show Bio

They made Amanda Waller fluffy again. Sweet.

#3 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing 2, Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, all definite pick ups

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#4 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16535 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is ESSENTIAL

#5 Posted by Epyon007 (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Harley, and Suicide Squad!

That Harley Quinn cover is so awesome! I really love the coloring on it.

#6 Posted by Saint_Talker (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for Lady Killer vol. 2 #1 !

#8 Posted by DD208 (573 posts) - - Show Bio

Six of my eight books for this week are on Mat's list. Should I be concerned?

#9 Posted by TheFizz (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@dd208: You are clearly turning into Mat. Why fight what feels so right?!

#10 Posted by pikahyper (18415 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that All-Star Superman homage to the suicidal girl in Batman with Gotham. The panels are literally done the same way, and in the same size, but with a different result tho :p

#12 Posted by Tattacus (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

Animosity? Anyone? No? Just me then.

#13 Posted by derf_jenkins (757 posts) - - Show Bio

@tattacus: I'm with you. I've become an Aftershock fanboy.

#14 Posted by Tattacus (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@derf_jenkins: I've been looking forward to it since I heard about it on here a while back. Don't think I've read much Aftershock though.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#15 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing and Suicide Squad are the ones I want.

#16 Posted by XImpossibruX (5752 posts) - - Show Bio

Suicide Squad, Batman, Aquaman, Justice League and Superman are the best ones released this week, arguably the most essential.

#17 Posted by ThePreface (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow was amazing. Everything else was already mentioned, but it seems like folks are sleeping on GA particularly hard. The art in that book is unrivaled.

#18 Posted by jim158 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read Suicide Squad. That is a beautiful book. Plot is decent also.

#19 Posted by jim158 (290 posts) - - Show Bio

@thepreface: so Otto Schmidt did art and color on 1 and 2. Juan Ferreyra has done art and colors on 3 and 4. I agree that this current issue is some of the best art that I have seen for the week.