Essential Comics for 5/13/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Welcome back to Essential Comics! Each week, the staff of Comic Vine lets you know what books to keep your eye out for this upcoming week. This week, SECRET WARS enters its second week, and there's a few LAST DAYS books starting. In addition, CONVERGENCE gets #2 issues for it's second week books, and there's a ton of great non-big two books to check out as well. Let's get right down to business.

Tony's Picks

SECRET WARS #2

No Caption Provided

(MARVEL)

The first issue was pretty explosive. The moment Jonathan Hickman has been working on for a while has finally happened. Everything came down to the 616 Universe going up against the Ultimate Universe. With the way the issue ended, the big question is, what happens next?

Hickman and Esad Ribic impressed with the first issue. There was a lot of fighting with some great moments but that can only go so far. This next issue will push the story along. There was a bit of a cliffhanger at the end plus, what the heck is Doctor Doom up to? We’ll also find out about Battleworld. How was this place put together and why? We’re often skeptical about these big comic book events but it’s hard not to be excited for this.

Click here for the solicit and while there is no preview this week, there are some variant covers below.

CHRONONAUTS #3

No Caption Provided

(IMAGE COMICS)

The series that started out with two scientists figuring out the secrets to time travel took an immediate turn into a very crazy direction. We always see time travelers doing what they can to avoid mucking about with the time stream. Mark Millar took the story in completely different direction. We’ve seen all sorts of crazy changes happen with the nature of the consequences getting bigger and bigger.

Sean Murphy’s art keeps pace with Millar’s crazy scripts. His style is superb and he doesn’t fail on delivering some great looking big and intense action scenes. With how quickly things have turned, there’s no telling what will happen in this week’s issue.

Check out the preview below

THOR #8

No Caption Provided

(MARVEL)

Last issue cranked up the action. Now the stage is set for a pretty huge fight. The Destroyer a pretty powerful force to deal with. Jason Aaron has been keeping readers on their toes with this new direction. People can’t stop talking about the series. Russell Dauterman’s art has also been utterly fantastic. The idea of him drawing this big action-packed battle issue is exciting.

The question that’s been hanging throughout the series is who is the new Thor? Many have suspected the true identity, especially those that have read the previous GOD OF THUNDER volume. We also saw a really huge hint in the previous issue. Is that laying out groundwork for the reveal in this issue or was that a huge mislead? We’ll find out this week.

Click here for the solicit and check out the preview below.

LADY KILLER #5

No Caption Provided

(DARK HORSE COMICS)

This series has been knocking my socks off with each issue. Joëlle Jones and Jamie S. Rich have been giving us the action-packed story of a seemingly ordinary housewife in the 60s who is really an assassin for hire. Things took a dark turn for her when she decided she didn’t really want to continue the life anymore. As you can imagine, once you work for a company employing killers, it’s not something you can just easily walk away from. Now she’s going to be in for the fight of her life. With this being the final issue in this series, who knows how it’ll end for Josie.

With a captivating script, Jones’ art and Laura Allred’s colors just make this an incredible book to read. We can only assume this final issue in this miniseries will be extra explosive.

Mat's Picks

X-O MANOWAR #36

No Caption Provided

(VALIANT)

I am completely a broken record when I say that X-O MANOWAR is the best thing that Valiant has to offer, which is saying a lot since Valiant produces some great books. It's a really rad space opera.

Writer Robert Venditti is really pushing the limits to what Aric has to go up against. Dead Hand is a ridiculously tough battle for Aric, and like many battles he's has in the past, it's hard to think how Aric is going to win this one.

Diego Bernard, Ryan Winn, and Brian Reber provide some awesome art in the past few issues, and visually, it's one of the nicest books to look at within Valiant as well. You can see that for yourself in the preview below, where Aric chats with other armors, where the Vine used to meet and the colors look awesome.

Seriously though, you should be reading X-O MANOWAR. It's been one of my top series since the start and it hasn't slowed down.

Check out the preview below.

BIRTHRIGHT #7

No Caption Provided

(IMAGE COMICS)

Here comes that broken record machine again... BIRTHRIGHT is my favorite concept in comic books, currently. For those who have been missing out, it takes the common 80s fantasy/adventure film story of "a boy gets taken to a magical land and has an adventure" and tells the story of what happens to that boy after the adventure is over. However, not everything is as it seems and it's actually an extremely dark book.

Mikey and Brennan are on their own and the authorities are looking for them. The book is insanely engaging and something you have to check out from issue one. Luckily, trades exist and you should get one.

Writer Joshua Williamson is taking us on a journey, so it's a bit ridiculous to jump right in. Aside from the story though, the art is simply wonderful. Andrei Bressan & Adriano Lucas do an amazing job month after month, creating some beautiful looking issues. Hopefully, in issue #7, no bears have to die. Seriously, that was pretty dang gruesome.

INJECTION #1

No Caption Provided

(IMAGE COMICS)

Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey, and Jordie Bellaire are doing a book together again? Ok. I'm sold. This was the creative team that breathed some life into Moon Knight again, so when they come together to do a creator owned book, you better believe it's something you have to read.

From the sounds of the solicit, this is a genre-mixing book that seems like it's going to be quite weird. Weird is good when Ellis is writing.

More than anything else, it's a wonderful group of creators coming together to do a new book. The first issue is this week, so why not give it a chance?

Honorable Mention: CONVERGENCE PARALLAX GREEN LANTERN #2

Corey's Picks

SILK #4

No Caption Provided

(MARVEL)

Ever since she burst on the scene, Cindy Moon has been the source of a lot of questions, many from herself, and at this point she's done little more than re-establish a baseline to work from. But it's been a lot of flailing and guesswork, and it's about time someone stepped up to turn some of those guesses into solid answers. Or someFOUR...fantastically.

Robbie Thompson seems to have a checklist for the things that Cindy needs to accomplish in her first arc, and he's checking them off with an efficiency that never FEELS like it's mere list-checking. The story being told has always felt like an organic one, and while Stacey Lee was announced to not be on this issue, we'll get the manga-like stylings of Annapaola Martello instead!

MAGNETO #18

No Caption Provided

(MARVEL)

The saga of the master of magnetism without a country, who founds a new one for him and his, has been incredibly compelling every step of the way. Ongoings might be getting sucked into Secret Wars at the moment, but it sounds like Cullen Bunn is going to use that as an excuse for some good ol' fashioned character building and introspection from one of the most complex characters in the Marvel Universe.

These massive events are, for better or worse, here to stay, and it's become and interesting sub-genre to watch ongoing creators integrate them into their stories, and I have every faith in Bunn, with artist Paul Davidson, to do just that.

DARTH VADER #5

No Caption Provided

(MARVEL)

One of science fiction's most visually arresting villains continues his strange, covert journey to be one of the most compelling overall under the watchful eye of Kieron Gillen. Vader's plan might still be shrouded in some mystery, but his penchant for attracting just the right kinds of allies hasn't weakened, though it's likely going to become harder and harder to keep all this under wraps from someone with the considerable resources, and abilities, of Emperor Palpatine.

Salvador Larroca's art style has come to be the new standard for Vader's look and body language in comics, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with in this issue.

Honorable Mention: CONVERGENCE: SHADOW OF THE BAT #2

That's it for this week's edition of Essential Comics. Let us know what your books you're super-duper excited for this week in the comment section below!

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I need to see more Rabum Alal.

Been spending the last week going bake and reading all of hickmans avengers and new avengers, can't wait for more secret wars.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

• Convergence Green Lantern Parallax #2
  • Injection #1
  • Saga #28
  • Secret Wars #2
  • Thor #8
  • Uncanny Avengers #4

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Titanbreaker

* Darth Vader #5

* Dr. Fate Preview

* Ms. Marvel #15

* Mortal Kombat X #19

* Robocop #11

* Bizzaro Preview

space4rentt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quiksilver: I've been doing the same exact thing. Just about caught up for Secret Wars, and it was so worth it.

I've got:

Secret Wars #2

Birthright #7

Chrononauts #3

Five Ghosts Special #1

Saga #28

ComicReaderGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another good week. I'm pretty excited about Injection. It seems like Image has 3 or 4 more new series launching every week. I don't understand how it is that they don't have more books now than DC and Marvel. Some have been really good, some have been "ehhh", at best. Between all these new #1's, all the convergence titles (I can't help but buy them all), and my regular weekly subscriptions, My "to read" stack is as thick as it has been maybe ever. I'm literally 20-25 books behind. What a great problem to have.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

@g_man I loved Chrononauts #2! I've been waiting for #3 :) They had their fun. Now it's time for the piper to arrive for payment.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

lot of good stuff

~MiB

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Angela: Asgard's Assassin #6

Captain Marvel #15

Darth Vader #5

Ms Marvel #15

Secret Wars #2

Silk #4

Spider-Man 2099 #12

Thor #8

Uncanny Avengers #4

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Secret War and Magneto out of this list. I am loving Magneto, its the best book Marvel is putting out right now in my opinion.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Magneto ending was a very good series that too often had to tie into the major events which caused it to have its weakest issues and unfortunately end prematurely.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, who's Thor?

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackhood: The only "must-read immediately" I see is Secret Wars #2. However, I do agree with you about Magneto, except I'll wait until it hits Marvel Unlimited.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait for my pull list to be delivered to my home! sucks my LCS is 45 mins away ,but love midtown comics!

• Secret Wars #1 Cover F Variant Skottie Young Baby Cover
  • Secret Wars #2 Cover A Regular Alex Ross Cover
  • Convergence Green Lantern Parallax #2 Cover B Variant Chip Kidd Cover
  • Convergence #6 Cover A Regular Carlo Pagulayan Cover

can't wait to start Secret Wars,reading Avengers,New Avengers,Infinity to play catch up! Gonna be excited for me and loving the Convergence #2's for the Convergence stories,and loving the main title too,so i'm pretty happy with my comics!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The essentials this week looks pretty dry...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@mk5: It's going to be a big payment!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Secret Wars #2 and Darth Vader #5 for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

East of West

Magneto

Saga

Secret Wars

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm eagerly awaiting the next Darth Vader.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great week for me with Injection, Birthright, Black Science, Chrononauts, and Secret Wars.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Convergence #6 and the 3rd volume of Avengers: Time Runs Out for me.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rac_shade

My Pull this week :

• Birthright #7

• Black Science #14

• C.O.W.L. #10

• Chrononauts #3

• Copperhead #7

• East Of West #19

• FBP Federal Bureau Of Physics #20

• Five Ghosts Special #1

• Harrow County #1

• Injection #1

• Lady Killer #5

• Mythic #1

• ODY-C #5

• Rebels #2

• RunLoveKill #2

• Saga #28

• Savior #2

• The Auteur : Sister Bambi #1

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to actually see Battleworld. Secret Wars #2 is easily my most anticipated comic next week. Also looking forward to picking up:

Cap and the Mighty Avengers #8

Ms Marvel #15

Uncanny Avengers #4

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

ouch DC

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's up with Sex Criminals? Did it go on indefinite hiatus?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Still saying its Jane Foster, and where is my Sex criminals? Comicvine, I need you to find out. chop chop :P please

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trodorne said:

Still saying its Jane Foster, and where is my Sex criminals? Comicvine, I need you to find out. chop chop :P please

Link

No Caption Provided

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So poor.

So berry poopy.

So much good I cannot pull.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Lady Killer #5

Magneto #18

Harrow Country #1

Injection #1

Maxx Maxximized #19

Howard the Duck #3

Judge Dredd Classics #5

Night Nurse #1

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto #18

Silk 4

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 owie  Moderator

I just want to say that I want to thank all y'all writers for putting a real emphasis on Independent books in the last few months. I don't always get around to buying them but it helps give me a sense of what's worth looking at among things that I might not hear about otherwise.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

That is my first time seeing that Vader cover. Please do not let one of the emperor's candidates as a Vader replacement be Vos. D:

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Secret Wars

Silk

Hawkeye

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Secret Wars
Convergence
Chronauts

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy a lot of Image books but the creative team on Injection has me very intrigued, think I'll pick that up.

As well...

Convergence #6

Convergence JLI #2

Convergence Shadow of the Bat #2

Batman Arkham Knight #4

Captain Marvel #15

Secret Wars #22

Darth Vader #5

Battlestar Galactica Death of Apollo #6

acekalama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

two words:

secret wars !!

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Lantern/ Parallax #2

Catwoman #2

Justice League International #2

Superboy #2

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: WHAT THE FUCK? How did you see this

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaifire: Matt fraction said they were taking a break and would be back by June

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man was scrolling through one of the previews, clicked right and it skipped to an image of a page another user had posted from the new Thor showing her identity. The user had hid the image as a spoiler but guess that didnt stop it from displaying. Surprise ruined.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Are you looking at the same list I am?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 said:

Are you looking at the same list I am?

i would think so, i see alot of indie titles and a few of the blah marvel titles coming out tommorrow.