Endgame Spoilers - why was Strange's plan/timeline even necessary?

• 53 results
Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gotoucanario

Am I missing something here? Are we supposed to believe there was any reason why there isn't a timeline where Nick calls For Marvel to stomp Thanos before he had all gems? Or they take away his gauntlet. Or Thor kills him.

Thanos just wasn't *that* strong. I have no idea why only this one convoluted time travel time line where Tony managed to snatch the gems from his gauntlet was the only one where they win where there's all kinds of scenarios where Thanos could lose, like you know Quill not waking up Thanos and letting them take the gauntlet.

Am I missing something here or that made no sense? Thanos never comes off as unbeatable, especially without the gems it feels like Cpt Marvel could have legit solo stomped Thanos before he found the gems if she was doing her job of defending different planets during the past years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: Only Ironman could win against Thanos in 14 million possibilities. Everybody else falls in stopping Thanos including Captain Marvel.

That is why Strange saved his life.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gotoucanario

@ready_4_madness: @tobymaguire:

That is Strange's statement but it didn't make any sense in practice given how many ways they had to end Thanos before he made the snap.

I was expecting Endgame to justify this timeline as the only one where Thanos loses but something as simple as Thor being a bit earlier to fight Thanos and help Wanda on Wakanda would have been enough to win.

Or Strange as we saw, can portal between Titan and Earth effortlessly, he could have just gone to earth, told Thor to aim for the head, solved.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Apparently, I mean he watched the same situation happening millions of times. Pretty sure some of the things you mentioned and some others they might have tried happened in those but apparently didn't work for some reason.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gotoucanario

I guess that's as satisfying of an answer as we are gonna get.

The whole battle forum feats before statements making me bothered about this because Thanos just didn't come off as someone who they only had that 1 in 14 mill chance to beat. I get it I guess, it's a movie not meant to be perfectly logical but that's just not too satsifying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ccc5f861ec2c
deactivated-5ccc5f861ec2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: It's just a stupid plot point added in by stupid directors. Russos even went as far to say that even if the team on Titan got the Gauntlet off they still would have lost because Thanos would've gotten angry which is BS since Thanos now has no counter to Doctor Strange who would stomp him

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc9dc4dc7435
deactivated-5cc9dc4dc7435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forget about Cap Marvel, she was a joke. Did you even see Thanos? He was soloing everyone without the stones... Thanos was brutal in Endgame, the only one he really had trouble with was Scarlet Witch. You also forget that Thanos had a whole army on them, they couldn’t all attack Thanos at once.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxerdes: read the first 4 words of my original post. She shouldn’t have been in this film so I completely disregarded her as a factor.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: It's just a stupid plot point added in by stupid directors. Russos even went as far to say that even if the team on Titan got the Gauntlet off they still would have lost because Thanos would've gotten angry which is BS since Thanos now has no counter to Doctor Strange who would stomp him

That sounds nice in theory. How does Strange beat Thanos 1 on 1 specifically?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@styla: She was supposed to enter MCU in the age of Ultron actually. Marvel has been pushing her since 2006 to be their lead female character in comics and since 2012 it was pretty confirmed She was going to be MCU and even get her Solo movie Her movie was officially announced in 2014 along with Infinity war. She was always going to be in the movie just like Dr Strange and Black Panther.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: @tobymaguire:

That is Strange's statement but it didn't make any sense in practice given how many ways they had to end Thanos before he made the snap.

I was expecting Endgame to justify this timeline as the only one where Thanos loses but something as simple as Thor being a bit earlier to fight Thanos and help Wanda on Wakanda would have been enough to win.

Or Strange as we saw, can portal between Titan and Earth effortlessly, he could have just gone to earth, told Thor to aim for the head, solved.

Strange didnt want to fight Thanos. He only did so because Tony brought them right to him and he said himself he couldnt get back to earth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: she was shoehorned into the final film which should have been completely dedicated to the ORIGINAL Avengers who we’ve been watching for a decade... This was a send-off for them, she didn’t belong in there, simple as that.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@styla said:

@tobymaguire: she was shoehorned into the final film which should have been completely dedicated to the ORIGINAL Avengers who we’ve been watching for a decade... This was a send-off for them, she didn’t belong in there, simple as that.

Good thing the movie incorporated all the heroes who were still alive up to that point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@styla: The original Avengers including Hulk would have been beaten by Thanos and only Captain America would have been standing for the epic portal scene. Even if Captain Marvel was in not in the movie, Hulk was not going to get his big moment. She has the roughly same screentime like all the second generation Avengers like Black Panther and Strange

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

There’s too many other variables to account for including would Marvel ever be free to show up as she may have been busy with other universal threats.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: Either way it was going to end with Iron Man snapping Thanos away anyway... Cap Marvels fight scene with Thanos should have been Hulks moment to shine, you say it wouldn’t have happened but I disagree, she didn’t deserve that moment.

I agree she wasn’t in the movie that much though, I just believe she shouldn’t have been in it at all barring saving Iron Man at the start. Scarlet Witch is a way better female character, just as powerful AND she’s been in the MCU since AoU.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@styla: @styla So that Marvel can set up Incredible Hulk 2 the strongest avenger movie which will earn billions to their rival studio Universal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobymaguire: I admire that you still have hope for his character but I don’t, they’ve straight up disrespected him and all his fans. I hope they leave Hulk alone now until a writer comes along that can actually do him justice, until then leave him in the comics where he is quite clearly above and beyond every other Marvel hero.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phisigmatau

lol cause the movie doesnt make sense thats why
Thanos was pretty beatable without the gaunlet.
but many fans just accept the logical inconsistencies cause i guess they wanna believe the movie is that good? IDK

totally fails.

then again when i think about it, it was prolly a ploy by Strange to get Stark to kill himself. Lol you sly old fox you Steven

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol cause the movie doesnt make sense thats why

Thanos was pretty beatable without the gaunlet.

but many fans just accept the logical inconsistencies cause i guess they wanna believe the movie is that good? IDK

totally fails.

then again when i think about it, it was prolly a ploy by Strange to get Stark to kill himself. Lol you sly old fox you Steven

Thanos was not close to losing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: If you can't see why on your own then I am concerned. Look at how easy the Ancient One defeated Hulk... How would Thanos counter the mirror dimension? Do you not remember Strange using the crimson bands to hold Thanos down?

No brick is beating a Sorceror. Wong has a chance at beating a stone less Thanos with portal hax.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos problem is he has no hax without the gauntlet

It is a really big vulnerability that the comic version doesn't have.

Anyone can beat Thanos who can just get him off the ground. He's just too weak without the gauntlet no way to counter simple telekinesis

PhantomRant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where there's all kinds of scenarios where Thanos could lose, like you know Quill not waking up Thanos and letting them take the gauntlet.

This. We already know Strange could have easily restrained Starlord, among other things he could have done. We also know that Strange could have defeated Base Thanos by himself, given that he was strong enough to neutralize a redirected attack from the Gauntlet, could BFR via Mirror Dimension, and immobilize Thanos - the latter two Thanos required the stones to overcome. Doctor Strange did not save the avengers, he screwed up.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Heatforce

I stated this before in another thread, but Strange's 14 million timelines statement is really just plot convenience. Basically the Russos didn't want a plot hole but instead of filling it in with good asphalt (logic/story), they put cardboard over it. On the surface it looks fine but as soon as you drive over it, you bottom out ?‍♂️

Best not to dwell on it or it will be an annoying gripe.

Here's a question: Given the branching timelines explanation, how is Strange able to see the one alternate timeline where they win if it wasn't created yet? In fact, who created the other branching timelines?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stated this before in another thread, but Strange's 14 million timelines statement is really just plot convenience. Basically the Russos didn't want a plot hole but instead of filling it in with good asphalt (logic/story), they put cardboard over it. On the surface it looks fine but as soon as you drive over it, you bottom out ?‍♂️

Here's a question: Given the branching timelines explanation, how is Strange able to see the one alternate timeline where they win if it wasn't created yet? In fact, who created the other branching timelines?

all stories even the best have plot holes. but this movie has plot craters and needs to be called out for it. Where is the accountability? I'm not crowning EG as awesome because it doesn't deserve it. You hold companies to a high standard and they'll eventually deliver. If you just have blind brand loyalty you get watered down products.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: you know the answer. To make the movie last longer. Well, spoilers are implied in the thread title so i am not spoiler blocking. Even that stuff about ironman and the gauntlet was unnecessary since Captain Marvel or the hulk could have easily done the same thing. Also, the end of the movie proved that the plan was unnecessary and quill is truly an idiot. They could have gotten the gauntlet of of thanos and used it to kill him or strange could have actually used the time stone. However, the movie was still great though. Most super hero movies with extremely strong characters have plot holes though.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce said:

all stories even the best have plot holes. but this movie has plot craters and needs to be called out for it. Where is the accountability? I'm not crowning EG as awesome because it doesn't deserve it. You hold companies to a high standard and they'll eventually deliver. If you just have blind brand loyalty you get watered down products.

I definitely agree regarding effects. Particularly the favoring of cgi over practical.

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no reason, they just didn't know how to write around the time stone. Strange could've decapitated Thanos on titan, there is no answer

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: Only Ironman could win against Thanos in 14 million possibilities. Everybody else falls in stopping Thanos including Captain Marvel.

That is why Strange saved his life.

Yea but it could also be that Captain Marvel DID stop him but then takes the Stones herself and becomes a tyrant. With 14 million possibilities, Im sure Strange saw them beating Thanos but with worse outcomes if other characters take the stones.

Heck maybe he saw an outcome where they definitively beat Thanos and THEY destroy the stones but that destroys the entire Universe haha.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wut ? Thanos with no gems would still beat Carol, he was ragdolling her, the only good feat that came from their fight was her no-selling his headbutt, which was quite annoying by the way.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jashugan

It was dumb. An easy fix would've been strange saying only a few instead of one.

No thanos with no stones would not beat carol, she was overpowering him while powering up.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdskns4eva: that kind of explanation is what I was hoping and expecting, that maybe just killing Thanos there and then was allowing a bigger or different threat to happen but as it is that's headcanon at best.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotoucanario: Strange's future vision was just an excuse for the audience to not ask why characters don't use obvious/OP abilities to instantly defeat Thanos.

Why didn't Doctor Strange rewind time with the Eye of Agamotto? That wasn't the future where they win.

Why didn't he teleport Thor to Titan after he created Stormbreaker? It wasn't the future where they win.

Why didn't he prioritize Vision getting the Mind Stone destroyed or removed quicker? It wasn't the future where they win.

etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no reason, they just didn't know how to write around the time stone. Strange could've decapitated Thanos on titan, there is no answer

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luckycharmz: Strange couldnt even beat his henchman. Strange is a glass cannon he needs time to shoot off his spells he would get thrashed if Thanos charged him

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Like how Thanos with infinity stones charged him on Titan? Lmao think before you type. Thanos can't even fly or jump high so all Strange has to do is fly out of range then send Thanos to hell literally

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luckycharmz: If Strange had that capability he wouldve just done it. Thanos never charged Strange he threw things at him theres a difference. Thanos is stronger than hulk and Thor but cant jump high considering they both can ? Yea ok my dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Shooting energy blasts is both faster and more effective than some guy who weighs like a ton running in a straightfoward manner charging lmao, know something before saying dumbshit. At one point Strange blocked power stone lightning so where are you going with this?

Doctor Strange countered a black hole, your entire argument is moot. Prove that Thanos can jump miles or even stories into the air. Yeah okay you can't. Being strong doesn't give you super leaps, it's a seperate power. The Thing is as strong as base Hulk and can't jump. Same with Colossus. And Juggernaut. Try again pal.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anthp2000  Moderator

It’s necessary because he saw 14 million timelines where they lost.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like to jump straight to the points where Thanos struggles as evidence, but ignore the steps to get there. Thor probably died many times from making Stormbreaker for example. Thor also never intended to kill Thanos quickly. Many times the attempt to pin Thanos and remove the gauntlet failed. In fact, it was Strange using the crimson bands that was the reason they even came close, and he had to see pretty much everything Thanos had to offer as well as patterns in his combat moves. Mantis always says what she feels, so there was no way Star-Lord would not learn of Gamora's fate. Iron man probably tried to beat Thanos without losing his own life, leading to Thanos being able to snap. Ant-Man may have never gotten out alive from the Quantum Realm in other futures. The dead would not return in time for the final fight if Banner and Hulk didn't become one. Ant-Man could've died or been lost forever due to failed time travel tests. The time heist could've failed horribly for everyone if the teams were different. There are so many things that went right for the heroes despite the odds that Thanos winning most scenarios realistically isn't much of a stretch since he's shown to be clever enough to outmaneuver the few stronger than him and completely overpower most superhumans consistently to the point you don't blame plot for his strength. He just is that good normally. There are also rules for magic in the MCU, which while not fully explained definitely exist. Like the Soul Stone sacrifice being permanent. A very possible rule to portal creation is it must be in open space/air, limiting its use as a weapon to ignore durability. In fact, nearly all MCU spells have shown limitations or a trade-off.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Shooting energy blasts is both faster and more effective than some guy who weighs like a ton running in a straightfoward manner charging lmao, know something before saying dumbshit. At one point Strange blocked power stone lightning so where are you going with this?

Doctor Strange countered a black hole, your entire argument is moot. Prove that Thanos can jump miles or even stories into the air. Yeah okay you can't. Being strong doesn't give you super leaps, it's a seperate power. The Thing is as strong as base Hulk and can't jump. Same with Colossus. And Juggernaut. Try again pal.

You mean strange knew how to counter something he already saw ? Wow I'm completely shocked. The first moment he let Ebony Maw get within his reach he lost the fight because hes a glass cannon

Where was that transmutation when Thanos took his sword and kicked him ? Theres literally no such thing as a base hulk. Collosus isnt a 100 tonner and Thing admitted inferiority long ago. Juggernaut has the potential for limitless strength too who says that he couldn't jump as high as Hulk could ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
@luckycharmz said:

You mean strange knew how to counter something he already saw ? Wow I'm completely shocked. The first moment he let Ebony Maw get within his reach he lost the fight because hes a glass cannon

Where was that transmutation when Thanos took his sword and kicked him ? Theres literally no such thing as a base hulk. Collosus isnt a 100 tonner and Thing admitted inferiority long ago. Juggernaut has the potential for limitless strength too who says that he couldn't jump as high as Hulk could ?

And he's not going to see some big ass purple man running straight for him? Lmfao gtfo, this is what happens to Thanos:

No Caption Provided

Ebony Maw would give Thanos the Scarlet Witch treatment so why you bothered to bring him up is beyond me. Also Strange was jobbing against him obviously as Thanos with 4 stones > Ebony Maw.

It was gone at that moment because of PIS and nerfing, Strange trying to fight h2h is stupid. Anyways like I just said Doctor Strange performed better later on against a Thanos with Infinity Stones actually trying so again a moot point.

Just accept being wrong and stop looking like a dumbass. "There is no base Hulk" lmao stfu. Juggernaut can't jump AT ALL, for his decades of existence he has never done anything, one of the key infamous ways of beating him is to trap him which can be done by dropping him in a hole lmao. You are ignorant. Colossus is a 100 tonner btw. None can jump, period.

weavile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what if there are thousands or even millions of futures where Strange never gives the time stone so Thanos kill him and somehow get the stone, and in those future Strange buy enough time for Scarlet Witch to destroy the mind stone and Thor to get there and they both kill Thanos or somehow Nick called Captain Marvel and then she help out at Wakanda and stop the snap. But since Strange couldn't sees past his own death he didn't know that they've won and just thought well this one is fail

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To make Tony more important to the MCU