ENDGAME SPOILERS Thor's hammer question

• 56 results
#51 Posted by Heatforce (6880 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:
@heatforce said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@heatforce said:

@thor_parker82: @titing2101: @rebake:

How does it not retcon Ragnarok? So you mean to tell me Thor always had twice his amount of power but became even more powerful after Mjolnir was crushed? Plus depending on how you view Hela, she was either worthy enough to hold Mjolnir in the air or she did it through pure strength. I believe it was the latter but if the former then the worthiness clause is very open to interpretation. Thor is the god of Thunder, the hammer should only be a conduit for his power per MCU explanation unless this is like a Shazam family situation.

Man, you simply are not understand, it's not like these movies are Interstellar or Inception.

@titing2101 said:

For Thor it just gave his powers back when he became worthy again, Its his trial to regain what was his. Just a one time thing

For others it will give you whatever thor has. Not sure how long you'd retain the power[Strength, durabilty, control over weather] once you let go of mjolnir.

That is what I don't get. Shouldn't Thor have lost his power once Steve became worthy or is it because Mjolnir was time displaced that he did not? That I could maybe understand as a loophole but this whole 'Thor's powers are internal and also fully accessible from Mjolnir' does not make sense given Ragnarok. Unless of course the user of Mjolnir is borrowing power from Thor himself hence my Shazam reference.

Thor's powers are his own, he doesn't need Mjolnir for that, however, when Odin placed the enchantment, he made it so that whoever lifts Mjolnir gets the powers of Thor, Mjolnir grants anyone who wields it the powers of Thor, but for Thor himself it is only a tool, he doesn't gain any power from the hammer because it is already his.

Other people can use Thor's hammer and he doesn't lose a single bit of strength/power, Mjolnir itself contains the powerset of Thor because Odin made it so, but Thor has it already in himself.

This.

@heatforce:

Thor = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Thor + mjolnir = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Thor with stormbreaker and mjolnir = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Cap + mjolnir = super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers [Thor wont lose power]

Reason why? Odin's magic. Odin's enchantment.

Odin is powerful enough to seal powers even if its inborn, he can cast a magic to give powers to others if he wills it.

Read 616 comics[Main timeline to understand it fully]

Just dont read thor from 2014 onwards or it'll confuse you even more

Thanks for the explanation. Hmm now I wonder, going back to my Hela statement, maybe she was neither worthy or used her strength when she held Mjolnir. Maybe once Odin died (which released her) the enchantment on Mjolnir was erased?

#52 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (16713 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: No problem

As for Hela, she never held nor lifted the hammer, she simply prevented it from returning to Thor with her own strength, you could see how Mjolnir was trembling from trying to go back to Thor, but Hela's grip was so strong that it couldn't, then she broke the hammer, you can see how cracks begin to form around Hela's fingers.

Also, even if Odin dies, the enchantment remains on the hammer, it always will be.

#53 Edited by titing2101 (1322 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce said:
@titing2101 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@heatforce said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@heatforce said:

@thor_parker82: @titing2101: @rebake:

How does it not retcon Ragnarok? So you mean to tell me Thor always had twice his amount of power but became even more powerful after Mjolnir was crushed? Plus depending on how you view Hela, she was either worthy enough to hold Mjolnir in the air or she did it through pure strength. I believe it was the latter but if the former then the worthiness clause is very open to interpretation. Thor is the god of Thunder, the hammer should only be a conduit for his power per MCU explanation unless this is like a Shazam family situation.

Man, you simply are not understand, it's not like these movies are Interstellar or Inception.

@titing2101 said:

For Thor it just gave his powers back when he became worthy again, Its his trial to regain what was his. Just a one time thing

For others it will give you whatever thor has. Not sure how long you'd retain the power[Strength, durabilty, control over weather] once you let go of mjolnir.

That is what I don't get. Shouldn't Thor have lost his power once Steve became worthy or is it because Mjolnir was time displaced that he did not? That I could maybe understand as a loophole but this whole 'Thor's powers are internal and also fully accessible from Mjolnir' does not make sense given Ragnarok. Unless of course the user of Mjolnir is borrowing power from Thor himself hence my Shazam reference.

Thor's powers are his own, he doesn't need Mjolnir for that, however, when Odin placed the enchantment, he made it so that whoever lifts Mjolnir gets the powers of Thor, Mjolnir grants anyone who wields it the powers of Thor, but for Thor himself it is only a tool, he doesn't gain any power from the hammer because it is already his.

Other people can use Thor's hammer and he doesn't lose a single bit of strength/power, Mjolnir itself contains the powerset of Thor because Odin made it so, but Thor has it already in himself.

This.

@heatforce:

Thor = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Thor + mjolnir = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Thor with stormbreaker and mjolnir = Thor with super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers

Cap + mjolnir = super strength + super durabilty + lightning powers [Thor wont lose power]

Reason why? Odin's magic. Odin's enchantment.

Odin is powerful enough to seal powers even if its inborn, he can cast a magic to give powers to others if he wills it.

Read 616 comics[Main timeline to understand it fully]

Just dont read thor from 2014 onwards or it'll confuse you even more

Thanks for the explanation. Hmm now I wonder, going back to my Hela statement, maybe she was neither worthy or used her strength when she held Mjolnir. Maybe once Odin died (which released her) the enchantment on Mjolnir was erased?

Haven't research on hela holding mjolnir.

But hela is not worthy that im sure of.

Possible reasons are:

1.Odin died, so his magic/enchantment vanishes with him that't why hela escaped her prison. [Odins enchantment still stays in the comics even if he dies, but MCU might have tweak it a lil bit on this].

2. Hela is crazy strong. she stopped mjolnir and thor was recalling mjolnir back as seen in the image below before he says "this is not possible" then hela crushed it. Mjolnir is not immovable while in flight. example of this instance is kurse punching mjolnir away. This reason is always refuted because marvel is not good at constantly showing strength on screen all throughout the movie.

No Caption Provided

#54 Edited by Asgaard (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

My head hurts a bit... But OK... I blame Aaron and his stupid semantics that allowed Thor to lose his name & God of Thunder label and become the God of the Hammers, more than before people get confused with Thor and Mjolnir.

Also the idea that Hela was worthy of the hammer is stupid because when she used the hammer it had no entrenchment unlike Ragnarok, and knowing her motivations/ambitions of conquest and power, if she was worthy instead of destroy the hammer she would .... wait for it.... wield it, that simple no? In fact that Ragnarok scene says that Hela sense the enchantment and knowing it was work of the benevolent Odin proceed to destroy it...

#55 Posted by Rebake (4729 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard: yeah, Hela wasn't worthy and she was probably using some high level magic.

#56 Posted by titing2101 (1322 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorofasgard: This thread answers your questions about the hammer and thor