• 127 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/07/20/avengers-endgame-avatar-james-cameron-marvel-star-wars-force-awakens-titanic-jurassic-box-office/amp/

I’m pretty happy about this. Not just because I like the MCU, but Avatar wasn’t really deserving of it. It had no cultural impact.

Anyways, who would have thought? I thought Endgame would do the same as Infinity War. Looks like I was wrong.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Avatar wasn't all that special. Endgame deserves it, it's the accumulation of the biggest movie universe ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamantine:

Yeah, say whatever you want but that is true. Absolutely deserving.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also predicted that Endgame wouldn't make more money than IW, and turned out to be wrong. Well done, MCU.

I'm not particularly invested in the box-office talk, but I'd agree Endgame being the highest-grossing makes more sense than Avatar, a movie with zero lasting impact.

As far as ranking the highest grossing films, I'd say it goes like this:

1. The Godfather

> Massive drop

2. Jaws

3. E.T. The Extraterrestrial

4. Titanic

5. Star Wars

6. Gone With The Wind

7. Jurassic Park

8. Endgame

9. Avatar

infamous5445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First sequel to ever be on top damn

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But then it’s the cause of a build up compared to a singular movie. So is it really any surprise for this?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wowza. A comicbook superhero movie is the most popular movie ever made. Whodathunk.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d489a021333f
deactivated-5d489a021333f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes sense. It's well deserved.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar deserves it more than Endgame. What cultural impact did Endgame have?

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What cultural impact did Endgame have?

you can’t be serious

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223: Avatar had just as much hype around it. And it didn’t need 22 movies behind it. Like seriously what makes Endgame so special it wasn’t even all that great.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't not find it ridiculous that people are actively throwing their hard-earned money at this film for the sole purpose of getting it over Avatar's worldwide haul... but it is, after all, their cash. More power to em'.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avengers do not deserve it.

At least with Avatar it made everybody wake up to 3D.

That movie was experience. Most movies these days says in 3d an all you get is maybe 5 mins of 3d in total.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@reactor said:

I can't not find it ridiculous that people are actively throwing their hard-earned money at this film for the sole purpose of getting it over Avatar's worldwide haul... but it is, after all, their cash. More power to em'.

This, but it was most likely their moms cash, but whatever.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

How does Endgame not deserve it? It was great.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don‘t understand all the hype behind Avatar.

TheCapstrikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar deserves it. Avatar was out so long because people kept seeing it. Endgame re-released just to beat Avatar and then they begged and bribed people to go see it again. Endgame doesn’t have the rewatchability that Avatar has. Endgame was meh AF. Just a great last 30 minutes.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor: Avatar is overrated and it's nothing special.

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar deserves it. Avatar was out so long because people kept seeing it. Endgame re-released just to beat Avatar and then they begged and bribed people to go see it again. Endgame doesn’t have the rewatchability that Avatar has. Endgame was meh AF. Just a great last 30 minutes.

This.

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 takenstew22  Moderator

I haven't even watched Avatar. Is it any good?

TheCapstrikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22: it was just another comic book movie, not a masterpiece. It was just a regular film

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 takenstew22  Moderator

@takenstew22: it was just another comic book movie, not a masterpiece. It was just a regular film

Wow. Great argument.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar deserves it more than Endgame. What cultural impact did Endgame have?

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: It was the movie James "Aliens/Terminator/Titanic" Cameron had been making for a decade, the marketing kept emphasizing its 3D aspect, which supposedly made it more immersive than any movie ever made, it had months of publicity selling it as a never before seen experience, and it largely succeeded at delivering something no other movie ever had, at least not to that degree, even if the plot was cliche.

I actually think it had more hype behind it than Endgame. Even the people who don't care about blockbusters were curious about the technical aspects.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCapstrikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22: lol I mean what else needs to be said? It was average. Why does an average film deserve to be the highest grossing? Why does it stand out above the rest?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Endgame not deserve it? It was great.

Endgame was very, very good, imo, but I think it (like all films) needs to stand the test of time for it to be called "great". A lot of films are loved when they first come out, then turned on years down the line.

As for whether or not it deserves it, I think that word should be excised from the situation. Endgame doesn't "deserve" to make the amount of money that it has, and neither did Avatar, or the Dark Knight, or Aquaman, etc.

Does it deserve praise? Personally, I think so. Does it deserve the amount of praise it has gotten? I think that one's a bit more nebulous. But I don't think anyone can say a movie ever deserves to make a specific (or ballpark) amount of money.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing better than Endgame beating Avatar are all the butthurt fanboys hating that it did.

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamantine: and what is Endgame? A basic CBM. Besides Avatar changed the way film was made, with new age CGI, 3D etc. It's a beautiful looking film that holds up still to this day.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mekboy

@thecapstrikes said:

Yeah. Endgame is like the Kylie Jenner of movies in that regard tbh.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorofasgard: no offense but im just going to discard that as it doesn’t make any sense whatsoever again no offense.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being that Avatar had something like an 8 month run in theatres, I see no problem with Endgame passing it. In fact, I went from thinking it was a cheap move to re-release to honestly supporting it (from a distance...I didn't watch it again lol).

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erentheghoul: Nothing basic about Endgame. Avatar was a rip off of a Anime movie.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecapstrikes said:

This.

the only reason Avatar got that was because of the 3D.

more people bought endgame tickets but the % of people who watched endgame in 3D is lower than Avatar.

44% of people who saw endgame saw it in 3D

81% of people who saw Avatar saw it in 3D

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 takenstew22  Moderator

@takenstew22: lol I mean what else needs to be said? It was average. Why does an average film deserve to be the highest grossing? Why does it stand out above the rest?

People were hyped for Endgame because of the many Marvel movies leading up to it, most notably IW. And if people loved IW (including me), we were most certainly excited for Endgame. It was pretty good imo, not as good as IW, but still very good.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By reactor

@adamantine said:

@erentheghoul: Nothing basic about Endgame. Avatar was a rip off of a Anime movie.

Avatar was basically Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas and Ferngully all thrown into a witch's cauldron of CGI, but I've never heard of it resembling any anime.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mekboy: @erentheghoul: Avatar was nothing more than a Rip Off of Princess Mononoke watch that movie, James littterally watched that animated movie slapped on 3d effects and pretend he made a new movie.

adamantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erentheghoul said:
@thecapstrikes said:

This.

the only reason Avatar got that was because of the 3D.

more people bought endgame tickets but the % of people who watched endgame in 3D is lower than Avatar.

44% of people who saw endgame saw it in 3D

81% of people who saw Avatar saw it in 3D

To be fair, Avatar was a film that was (iirc) specifically designed to be seen in 3D (ala Into the Spider-Verse or Ready Player One). Not saying it didn't contribute, because it obviously did, but it was meant one of the main features of the appeal.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamantine: endgame takes its whole story and characters and comic books that were made decades ago. What’s your point? You act like Endgame is some original story itself. Avatar had original characters and say what you want about the story, it was a good film nonetheless.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: It was the movie James "Aliens/Terminator/Titanic" Cameron had been making for a decade, the marketing kept emphasizing its 3D aspect, which supposedly made it more immersive than any movie ever made, it had months of publicity selling it as a never before seen experience, and it largely succeeded at delivering something no other movie ever had, at least not to that degree, even if the plot was cliche.

I actually think it had more hype behind it than Endgame. Even the people who don't care about blockbusters were curious about the technical aspects.

I was in High School around the time and I hardly remember too many people talking about it, albeit social media wasn’t as big as it is now.

Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lord_Titan_

@saberscar223: @thorofasgard: To be honest he has a point, endgame has to re-release or it had no chance of beating the record, when I watched avatar for the first time it was unique and it stood out, endgame needed several films just to achieve the same success and it wasn't that great anyway as the expectation was too high and people already knew the outcome was obvious

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares, movies aren't living things, the concept of deserving something doesn't apply to them.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mekboy

@adamantine said:

@mekboy: @erentheghoul: Avatar was nothing more than a Rip Off of Princess Mononoke watch that movie, James littterally watched that animated movie slapped on 3d effects and pretend he made a new movie.

I never said anything about Avatar.

I've only seen the second half of the movie once, and found it meh.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_titan_: Avatar rereleased as well and for 9 months Extra

avengers did it in 3 1/2 months