EDIT!! Concerned DC Fan Here: Marvel Won

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for generalbeastgod
generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By generalbeastgod

So I was just pondering over the current cbm events when it hit me; "Marvel won."

It pains me to say it but JL flopped. That is HUGE in all the wrong ways!! This is something that will not just blow over no matter how much we'd like it to. JL is the biggest flop EVER to my knowledge. I challenge you to name another franchise that fell 800mil-billion under projected figures. There's a phrase going around. Forbes is calling JL "the highest grossing flop ever." It's true. It's the biggest bomb ever for a block buster of this nature. The waters around DC has ran dry. This should have never happened. All but Batman is B, C-listers at best.

What scares me though is how well Marvel is doing at the same time DC is drowning!! They just got all there characters back under one roof. This is huge!! Marvel has about 30 a-listers now. Unstoppable.

Then they announced a R-rated label and confirmed Deadpool would remain R and be part of the MCU.

I feel a huge course correct on Marvel comics is on the horizon. No more shorting the X-Men or FF. These characters will be returned to there former glory now that Marvel has them back.

I just wish it would have went different for DC. But sadly I feel it's to late for them. At least to ever competing with Marvel anyway.

EDIT: Marvel is about to explode. Spider-man PS4 is the first Marvel game with the same production value as the Arkham series. Which is actually the only DC game worth mentioning. Marvel has already matched them everywhere else.

But here's where DC gets into trouble. Marvel is announcing multiple AAA games in 2018. One game that matches Arkham is not enough for Marvel. There about to unleash SEVERAL according to Jay Ong the new head of Marvel games. Already announced:

Spiderman PS4

Avengers Project

Another GotG

And they said several more are on the way. There attacking games next like they did movies and TV. Saying they want "game of the year on every game."

DC is in trouble.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel can't win a never ending battle. I'm a Marvel die hard and I refuse to believe the competition between the two is over.

Comics wise, where they both started, many believe DC to be on top a bit. (I of course prefer Marvel's comics but that's just personal preference.)

Plus when it comes to games, Marvel might have a good future, but look at DC. Injustice vs MVC

Arkham series vs Mobile garbage

DC Online vs Marvel heroes (you know, the game that the company threw away).

Live action media is just one part of each company, don't lose hope.

Plus, Aquaman will probably be at least decent, probably pretty good.

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel can't win a never ending battle. I'm a Marvel die hard and I refuse to believe the competition between the two is over.

Comics wise, where they both started, many believe DC to be on top a bit. (I of course prefer Marvel's comics but that's just personal preference.)

Plus when it comes to games, Marvel might have a good future, but look at DC. Injustice vs MVC

So what you really saying is that they each have their strength in different areas.

Marvel>>>>>DC (Movies)
DC>>>>>Marvel (Games)

DC>Marvel (Comics)

But the question here is. Which one of these outlets brings in the most revenue and who is beating who in that will be deciding factor going foward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minorincon32 said:

So what you really saying is that they each have their strength in different areas.

Marvel>>>>>DC (Movies)

DC>>>>>Marvel (Games)

DC>Marvel (Comics)

But the question here is. Which one of these outlets brings in the most revenue and who is beating who in that will be deciding factor going foward.

I think another important thing here is not so much revenue but also what each company sees as their "bread and butter."

To put it into games parlance, SEGA was a games and hardware manufacturer but eventually stopped making the second to focus on the first. My biggest worry is that the MCU becomes so successful revenue-wise that the comics are actually abandoned. We've already seen how the movie worlds can negatively affect the comic stories but thankfully I don't see Disney actually going down this route unless a doomsday scenario occurs.

I actually see this potentially happening with DC. That Warner Brothers might become so obsessed with trying to push into the visual media that they do a Marvel and hurt the comics.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of live action movies DC/WB have to get their act together. However Marvel/Disney BEEN planned this since the first Iron Man film. WB is just now jumping abroad having a DCEU.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oui. Fans go on-and-on over the imaginary fabricated war that’ll supposedly spell certain doom for one company?...meanwhile WB/DC and Disney/MARVEL are swimming in bank vaults Scrooge McDuck style?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That annoyed me. I always told myself I was going to give it a shot now it's too late.

I played DC online on Steam for awhile but it felt like too much was blocked off unless you payed. I wonder if the PS4 is any different.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I agree that Marvel won, but that doesn't mean that DC is out of the game forever. I would say that Marvel has won this cycle. That seems to be how it works--cycles of winning or losing. DC was on top until the 80's, when Marvel beat them with the X-Men. Then DC took over in the 90's until about 2010, when the MCU launched Marvel back to the top. Eventually the MCU will lose its tread--all franchises die eventually--and the contest will start anew.

The only way Marvel wins forever is if they completely take DC out of the media game. DC survives on TV shows and cartoons, if they lose that then they die. But that won't happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel didn't win anything worthwhile. Their movies and current comics lack heart, soul and artistic talent. DC movies suck ass but at least their comics are limping themselves back to being good again. Victory has defeated Marvel, if anything.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people do forget that Marvel Studios didn't generally make good movies for years until they got the ball finally rolling with Iron Man, and it only really started picking up steam after Avengers with Winter Soldier and GOTG. Marvel Studios is proof that a franchise can come back from the brink of defeat and make something good out of itself. And given how popular DC franchises have been in the past for WB and in many ways still are even after JL, I really doubt WB is just going to abandon the franchise after one setback.

I do agree with the general consensus that the DCEU needs to cool it with the crossovers for a bit and focus more on solo movies. With the next three movies of Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 2, I'm actually still pretty excited for what comes next.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: actually DCUonline is not a good game. It's common knowledge it's a pretty weak mmo.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

I think people do forget that Marvel Studios didn't generally make good movies for years until they got the ball finally rolling with Iron Man,

Marvel Studios is proof that a franchise can come back from the brink of defeat and make something good out of itself.

What are you talking about? You sound like 2003 Daredevil was made by Marvel Studios when their first movie was 2008 Iron Man...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Asgaard

Regarding the thread, marvel comics just fired their editor and chief... (lol) No idea why all has to be black and white, and directly comparable, Marvel Studios is indeed doing very well but as for the rest there is nothing that special about Marvel that Dc can not match or overcome...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman: actually DCUonline is not a good game. It's common knowledge it's a pretty weak mmo.

I wasn't saying it was good or not just that I played it and not the Marvel game.

@asgaard said:

Regarding the thread, marvel comics just fired their editor and chief... (lol) No idea why all has to be black and white, and directly comparable, Marvel Studios is indeed doing very well but as for the rest there is nothing that special about Marvel that Dc can not match or overcome...

Good because it's been sucking ass. I mean even putting all that garbage SJWism aside the quality of writing is just trash.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first: yeah it shows Marvels been at it for a while. There patience and planning has certainly paid off.

I wish DC could have done the same. It's making me not want to support DCanymore.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generalbeastgod:

Yep WB just rushed sh!t. There is zero reason for why Doomsday and the death of Superman happened THIS quick. Aquaman, Flash, Batman and maybe Cyborg should've had solo films before JL movie came out.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18 krisbishop  Moderator

Why did Marvel "win"? Why not "did better"?

Not everything has to be a competition. Why can't we just enjoy both media from companies?

Avatar image for deactivated-5abbc73944668
deactivated-5abbc73944668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generalbeastgod: Lol.

You're obviously not a DC fan and this is obviously a troll thread Mr Justice League is biggest flop ever, try some more alternative facts please.

Marvel won? You must have some insider knowledge then because last time I checked DC is still a company and that actually makes no sense to claim such a thing.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By generalbeastgod

@manonthemountain:

You can be a DC FAN without being a blind DC troll. I like DC and Marvel. Deal wit it!!

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

??????????????? These threads will never end. Why do fans care about money. Shouldnt quality matter. I didnt like JL but it was Avengers/StarWars level in quality. If

it made a billion I would still be disappointed.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup Captain Salt has returned. Why the double post?

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingyang:

" I didnt like JL but it was Avengers/StarWars level in quality."

Um....that's a hell nawh.

Theanalyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WB is actually winning, most of their films have made more profit than marvel has in the same quantity, the only issue is that they rushed releasing justice league and the fact that they do not have an established universe yet

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aros001

@generalbeastgod: Okay, I keep seeing your posts pop up on Comic Vine, including your recent one about how Ant-Man did better that Justice League profit-wise, which is now locked so I can't post what I want to say there.

Listen, I'm a known defender of a lot of the DCEU movies, mainly because I genuinely enjoyed most of them. And now even I'm saying GET OVER IT!

Yeah, Justice League should have been better and done better than it did. Oh well! If you liked the movie anyway, than just enjoy it and stop giving a sh*t about what everyone else think. And if you didn't like it, then go out and enjoy one of the many other JL products out there, like the animated movies, the cartoon, or even the older comics to wash the bad taste out of your mouth. You can't go around complaining about how bad some of the DCEU fans are when you also refuse to let JL's box office go!

Yes, this is a setback for the DC movies, but it's not the end of the road. We'll get more DC movies. Heck, we might even be getting an extended cut of JL. While it's definitely important to call out the studio on its mistakes so they don't make them again, there's no reason to keep making such a fuss over a movie that still has plenty of people who liked it regardless.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: I think you're in denial. I don't want a extended cut of JL. And I hate WB for turning the DCU into a laughing stock.

You're in denial. the damage they've done isn't going away for a while!! Long as Marvel is kicking butt DC simply isn't needed. WB screwed the pooch.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares I just want to see good movies besides DC isn't dead they have way better comics and I can't remember the last good Marvel video game and they still have the Nolan Bats trilogy the best CBM trilogy created DCEU has done well financially for how shit the movies have been

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kingyang
Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: I think you're in denial. I don't want a extended cut of JL. And I hate WB for turning the DCU into a laughing stock.

You're in denial. the damage they've done isn't going away for a while!! Long as Marvel is kicking butt DC simply isn't needed. WB screwed the pooch.

I'm not in denial. I'm well aware damage has been done to the DC movie name. The difference is I'm not as much of pessimist to act like this is the final nail in the coffin for DC movies like you seem to. Yeah, it's a financial blow certainly, but not one that'll cripple WB or tell them that DC is a dead franchise, especially when Wonder Woman did great, so we can certainly expect at least a sequel to that.

As for critical reception, the DC movie franchise has survived Superman 3 and 4, Batman and Robin, Green Lantern, and friggin' Catwoman. I think it can survive this hit, especially when Justice League DOES still have plenty of people who did like it, despite some of them, like me, wishing the movie could have been better (and are hoping for an extended cut to possibly help with that).

And as for your last point , that "Long as Marvel is kicking butt DC simply isn't needed." ...So what? I don't need something I like to be number 1 in order for me to enjoy it or call it good. WB definitely needs to get their act together and stop rushing things (and hopefully with Aquaman, WW2, and Shazam not being team movies that'll be the case). I don't deny that. But I can still enjoy the MCU movies and be happy for Marvel having its time in the spotlight while supporting the DC movies and direction that I like.

I'm not in denial. I'm simply not being a drama queen about this less than ideal situation.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup Captain Salt has returned. Why the double post?

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deltahuman

I don't mean to offend anybody but lately I've seen more than a dozen of these threads. Honestly these threads are pointless. This rivalry or whatever you wanna call it will keep going on. DC didn't lose. If somebody has lost something then it's you. You've lost your mind.

People think DCEU has been a box office dissapointment so far. Wrong. The total gross of the first five movies of the DCEU is upwards of $3 billion. The investment is just a little shy of $1.2 billion. This is not only much higher than what the first five MCU movies had grossed, even the profits of the DCEU have been higher so far. The only concerning thing is that, two DCEU movies have been disappointments in terms of gross, BvS and JL. Even JL isn't gonna be a flop. It's gonna break even. It just won't have any profits. All these despite the immense competition, despite the 6 year head start MCU had, despite the mixed to negative reviews of most movies, is actually very surprising. Hell DCEU even has an Academy Award to its name. And it's Suicide Squad for crying out loud.

The MCU has just grossed well because of the popularity of the characters, the immense marketing, the head start it got when there was zero competition to be concerned with except for the occasional stand-alone movies of other studios being released and their please all offend none type plots. Even their B list characters are popular now. The MCU hasn't made any outstanding movie yet, the reviews are just mostly good with the generic recycled plots most of the time. MCU has only a few genuinely good movies to its credit despite existing for almost 10 years now and releasing more than a dozen movies. DCEU plots are bad too. But just so you know, Wonder Woman is the highest rated Superhero movie of all time and its a DCEU movie.

These threads are stupid. Studios don't give a shit what you and me think. They care about the profits. As long as the profits are there, movies are gonna keep coming.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: "I'm not in denial. I'm simply not being a drama queen about this less than ideal situation."

THE FIRST EVER JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE FLOPPING IS JUST A "LESS THAN IDEAL SITUATION?!?!?!"

It's this passive, blind fanboy attitude is how DC has went wayward. The whole ship is still sinking and you don't see it.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: "I'm not in denial. I'm simply not being a drama queen about this less than ideal situation."

THE FIRST EVER JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE FLOPPING IS JUST A "LESS THAN IDEAL SITUATION?!?!?!"

It's this passive, blind fanboy attitude is how DC has went wayward. The whole ship is still sinking and you don't see it.

Yes, less than ideal. Because Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and yes, even the Justice League itself, are all still very profitable names and franchises. We are going to get more movies of all of these in the future. This is not the end of the road for them. And I would honestly be a passive fanboy than one who seems to be in a constant state of rage and freaking out all the time to the point where I'd be the one posting numerous threads about how horrible and apocalyptic it is that Ant-Man and Black Panther will have earned more money than JL.

"The whole ship is still sinking and you don't see it." If they are still going to be making DC movies, how is the ship sinking?! And after the success of Wonder Woman, I think it's been shown that people will still watch a positively reviewed movie even if the previous entries were not as well received, so it's not like Justice League is going to cause people to stop watching DC movies entirely.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: only time will tell for certain. IMO it's over.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gaoron

Let Disney buy DC already, those shitty fan wars are killing me.

Avatar image for larcadedragneel
LarcadeDragneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The total gross of the first five movies of the DCEU is upwards of $3 billion. The investment is just a little shy of $1.2 billion. This is not only much higher than what the first five MCU movies had grossed, even the profits of the DCEU have been higher so far

Of course the DCEU movies are going to make so much more than the first five MCU movies. What the MCU was trying to accomplish was unprecedented. They were creating a connected universe when Superhero movies were not very popular and lucky if they grossed $100 million. If the DCEU had released their movies 10 years earlier the amount of money they grossed would be much lower. DCEU has only done so good because the MCU created hype for Superhero movies.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larcadedragneel:

You seem to have forgotten that the last two DC movies released before Man of Steel made more than $1 billion each. Even Batman beings did extremely well.

Avatar image for larcadedragneel
LarcadeDragneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deltahuman: What movies are you referring to exactly. Of course, The Dark Knight Rises made over a billion. It was apart of the greatest movie franchises ever. However, before that movie Green Lantern had flopped. And the year before that movie, Jonah Hex flopped. And before that movie Watchmen flopped. Just in case you are misunderstanding. Watchmen, arguably one of the greatest comic book miniseries ever flopped. Now there have been a few jewels througout the DC time making a movies. But all these Jewels are Batman movies. Of course they are going to do well, Batman is the most popular superhero. Whereas, Iron Man someone with relative little popularity outside the comics made more than Watchmen and Jonah Hex combined.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is basically a random crybaby who whines about DCEU too much type of thread.

But Seriously i don't care about this DCEU is failing nonsense

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deltahuman

@larcadedragneel:

Ok honestly for a moment I even forgot about Green Lantern's existence. Yeah that was a pointless movie. But Jonah hex and watchmen aren't mainstream DC movies in the traditional sense. Watchmen was more like an experiment. Jonah Hex is like chris evans, Jeffery Dean Morgan starter, The Losers. Both are DC films all right but not in a traditional sense. My point is, DC characters were much more popular 10 years ago. They had already made a lot of successful movies. This success has been going on since the 70s. Marvel characters began to taste success in the hands of Fox and Sony after the year 2000 through characters Marvel sold off. DC has always been popular in live action. The superhero shared universe initially didn't earn much for marvel because most of the characters used were B listers. But the consistency and comparatively good reviews accelerated their success where from low grossing flicks, The Avengers jumped straight to $1.5 billion. It was unprecedented. DC shared universe didn't even start when marvel had already gained worldwide recognition. So marvel was already ahead of the race. DC characters were popular all right but new characters from Marvel had already caught up to people's attention a year before DC shared universe even started.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokluma: I'm just hurt right now. Never thought I'd see the day a JL movie flopped.

The FIRST ever JL movie. Smdh

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gokluma

@generalbeastgod: Bruh it's not end of the world and i'm pretty sure Warner bros will try harder next time.

If MCU can survive after having bad movies like Elektra then DCEU can handle a decent movie.

generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokluma: Elektra was never part of the MCU. It's success or failure would have never made a difference to the MCU.

And "decent" movie?! JL is pure flopped horse sh*t. GL bad and biggest flop of all time. No sugar coating this disaster. I like DC but the ship is sinking.

Pathetic!

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generalbeastgod: You know what nevermind since it's pointless to reason with you anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

So I'm guessing Dark Horse isn't a contender either? :(

TheNoobStomper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC have to take their time with the movies. As of now, yes, they suck, BIG TIME. All because these goons at WB are too lazy to put any actual effort into what they are doing.