Does Superman really have Super Speed?

geomarkiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does superman really have super speed or is his speed the result of him having enough strength to propel his body that fast combined with his ability to process things in less than milliseconds as well as the tactile telekinesis that aids in flight and keeping large objects intact while he moves them.

My brother and I have been arguing for years on end now. He believes that Superman has super speed as one of his power. My argument, as stated before, is that Superman has the strength to propel his body that fast and has the brain power to process those lightning fast movements, pair that up with how Earth's gravity is faaaar less than that of Krypton then you get what looks like super speed but is actually a result of immense super strength and other factors. My brother's argument is that Superman's speed is a result of 'the power of super speed" and my argument was that he's just fast with the brain power to process it.

PS. We're talking on foot.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FireStarLord73194

Most of his abilities are a combination of traits that are enhanced. While the comic books do treat it as a separate power in name there are likely several components to it. For one his legs are very strong, his ligaments are likely immune to tearing, he makes no lactic acid, and his brain does react faster. And while you said no flight his flight has been described before as “manipulation of gravitons” with that power alone he has achieved ftl travel. Likely he’s using some sort of gravity manipulation to boost his speed

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jashro44

I'm a little confused what you define as super speed. It sounds like your arguing semantics. What you described is how his super speed works.

So I would say that your both correct.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact he moves as fast as he does means he has super speed regardless of the method he uses to achieve it.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact he moves as fast as he does means he has super speed regardless of the method he uses to achieve it.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mainjp said:
@fullmetalemprah said:

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman actually has no powers since he's Kryptonian and whatever he can do comes with Kryptonian physiology.

It'd be like saying Tigers have super strength.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: Kryptonians being around yellow sun isn't natural and it's radiation amps them to give them abilities they wouldn't normally have, so yeah it's super powers even to them. Tiger comparison makes no sense. Asgardians are born with immense strength and it's still super strength.

geomarkiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah: So what I was trying to explain to him was that moving fast isn’t a power and super speed is and they are separate things. i.e. Superman moving that fast is called super speed by humans because they can’t tell but it’s nothing special to Kryptonians because it’s just how they move. Super speed would be what the flash has because it’s not normal wherever he is. Not even Kryptonians think the Flash’s speed is normal because he’s way faster than their “moving” speed

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geomarkiii: Yeah but the problem with that is that we normally judge powers based on what normal humans can accomplish, therefore it's super speed regardless of how normal it is for Kryptonians(and for the record, he seems to be fast even by Kryptonian standards). I mean, even Spider-Man has super speed to a degree. Do they use different methods than Flash to achieve it? Yes, but that doesn't make it not super speed. What you're thinking of is the Speed Force, which actually IS a unique power.

Just because some people don't have a unique way of achieving superhuman speeds doesn't mean they don't have super speed, especially since the Speed Force allows you to do other things as well such as actually steal speed from other people.