Does Continuity Matter? Yes or No.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Continuity Matter? Yes or No. (19 votes)

Yes 95%
No 5%

Between the two options, does continuity matter to you? Give a Yes or No, and then feel free to give your nuanced opinion. Essay posts are encouraged!

For me, YES.

Continuity Matters. I enjoy individual stories but part of why I enjoy comics is to connect with other people so I can discuss the characters and stories.

I enjoy individual stories but if there's contradictory characterizations and stories, it causes division among fandom beyond just disliking certain story choices where people get into head canon territory.

It's difficult to invest the time and money into something that I can't connect with others, and I don't want to section off into more niche, and niche groups. Comic book fandom is already niche enough.

It's why, comic book adaptations such as movies, tv shows, and video games are generally more attractive than comics since their generally more creatively focused with the characterizations compared to comics. And they're easier on time investment and money investment.

Comic book fans might be frustrated about comic book adaptations not being like source material but it's difficult to convince a lot of people to invest their time and money in a bunch of comics, when people can just watch something like The Dark Knight Trilogy or Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes.

Even a game like Marvel vs Capcom might have more consistent characterizations for characters, so if fans say a Marvel vs Capcom version of a superhero is best, they might be right.

I really like the comic book medium though, and I'm currently reading Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man to get a definitive take on Spider-man without the baggage.

I'd love to read everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

• 
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of my interest in continuity has to do with character fandom, because, otherwise, if I was just focused on a good story, cream rises to the top, and that story could include the best characterization, so that's an argument to not be concerned with continuity.

So, for an example, it might be better to focus on just getting a good story which has one of best characterizations of Batman in Frank Miller's Batman Year One and not being concerned with Frank Miller's Batman's characterization in Frank Miller's Superman Year One which is a low point (or later continuity such as Tom King's lousy Batman characterization).

And then just hoping the higher quality characterization always remains popular, being the Frank Miller Batman Year One characterization of Batman.

So, keep propping up the the higher quality characterization of Frank Miller's Batman Year One characterization of Batman, and hope most people ignore the Frank Miller Superman Year characterization of Batman instead of propping of a more consistent quality characterization of Batman in a continuity that doesn't have a low point of characterization such as Frank Miller's Superman Year One characterization of Batman.

What do you all think?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the MCU, apparently not.

I thought a reason people would prefer the MCU to the comics is because of continuity.

I haven't kept up with the MCU to know what's up, so is that an argument against caring about continuity and just focusing on quality stories?

I was writing while you posted, so I missed your post.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people outside of CV don't care.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I prefer it but have accepted it will never be consistent with the big two

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killbilly  Moderator

Continuity is important if the strength of the individual story isn't enough for it to get by on its own. If there's no continuity, then you might as well just be publishing standalone works.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Most people outside of CV don't care.

Do you think it's because they don't care that much about superheroes?

But they would for their crime shows or soap operas?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continuity is important if the strength of the individual story isn't enough for it to get by on its own. If there's no continuity, then you might as well just be publishing standalone works.

Good point, and being that the stories aren't strong in a lot of comics, and since the characterizations were messed with, I appreciate continuities outside of the long running numbered comics such as Geoff Johns' Batman Earth One or Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man where the continuity matters for superhero characterizations (hopefully Geoff John's Batman Earth One ends on a good note).

And, of course, all the adaptations.

Curious if the X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are anyone's definitive takes for characterizations on the Marvel heroes.