Does Captain Marvel have a shot at dethroning Wonder Woman at the B.O.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After current events, Black Panthers BO I'm convinced Captain Marvel will blow WW out of the water. By at least 300mil.

What do you think??

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Wonder Woman is not as wellknown worldwide as most americans like to believe and there is an argument to be made the DCEU association hurt its perception. Captain Marvel obviously is not that wellknown either, but the MCU as a franchise is, so of its good it definetly has a chance to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its an MCU movie so yes

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's an MCU movie so yes.

plus, first Marvel movie led by a super powered chick.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Amcu

Before Black Panther I would have said no not at all. But now I'm not so sure. I mean I don't see it performing nearly as well domestically but MCU movies tend to do well overseas and riding some possible momentum from Infinity War it could do really well.

Still I wouldn't bet on it yet. I think we need to see how Infinity War is received and how well it does. I'm also not sure if there will be any special particular interest in Captain Marvel beyond just being an MCU film. As an extremely early prediction I would go with $550-$750 assuming people really like it. That could easily adjust up though.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a chance. Make no mistake Disney will absolutely have a massive campaign for it.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need to stop comparing DCEU and MCU now

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WakandonSon

@superhulk24:

"Make no mistake Disney will absolutely have a massive campaign for it."

This. It'll be bigger than WW's. Marvel will make sure it has nothing short of a 95% on RT.

Also:

1. She's MCU

2. They'll use the same strategy Marvel used with BP:

Marvel will use the same strategy on Captsin Marvel. CM comes out right before A:4 like BP is with IW. They'll make the A:4 trailers feature heavily elements of CM. So pre A:4 hype will boost its ticket sales.

3. Her name is Captain MARVEL. The viewing public will see that "MARVEL" in her name. This mixed with A:4 trailer featuring CM heavy content will make her movie seem like a event movie.

4. Her movie is being released in national wemons month. So yeah Marvel will be playing that angle of course. Though WW already came out she wasn't MCU. It only counts when Marvel does it.

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM prediction:

1.4bil, 95% RT

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's got a small shot since it is an mcu. I think overseas number could generate more than WW so it's got that going for it.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely.

Disney is KING in marketing, launching astronomical hype trains, social manipulation, and of course their critics.

I expect no less, Miss Marvel got this.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The big difference here is that BP was always a good character as is WW but CM isn't, so probably not. That said it being marvel it'll make money regardless.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior:

Agreed, not sure who here is a wrestling fan, but if I was to compare mcu/dceu to wrestling companies mcu would be WWE and dceu is TNA.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? If mcu is WWE then dceu would be UFC.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It definitely has a "shot"

Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruh Spidey Homecoming eventually overtook WW. I think it definitely has a shot.

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It does have a chance, but I feel its at best touch and go.

Even with the MCU brand factor, Cap Marvel will most likely be viewed by General Audience as a Wonder Woman copy no matter how the marketing does.

Wonder Woman does well in large part due to its novelty factor (first superheroine movie whatsoever). Captain Marvel lost that chance, and Black Panther had already overdrawn on that novelty of minority feature.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generalbeastgod is that you?

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Supermanforever

Well its Disney so everything is possible. look what they have done with b character like Black Panther. So yeah its possible but by my prediction it will be around the same level maybe little less depending how the movie will be recieved and what competition it will have. However anything is possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godsaveusall:

"Cap Marvel will most likely be viewed by General Audience as a Wonder Woman copy"

"Wonder Woman does well in large part due to its novelty factor (first superheroine movie whatsoever). Captain Marvel lost that chance"

No and no. WW is not MCU. What she did doesn't count. She's b-list. Marvels first major female lead cbm, with Marvels backing will make bank. WW is going to get destroyed by at least 300mil.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel(Carol D) may not be well known as Wonder Woman, but she will MOST DEFINITELY blow Wonder Woman movie out of the B.O.

Marvel is..excuse me Disney is REALLY good at marketing especially when it's there own. I'd dare say Marvel/Disney will MAKE Captain Marvel the worlds leading Female SuperHero.........

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lets just wait and see..

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say not.

But everything is possible.

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: WW didn't do THAT great. Lol people acting like she's destroyed all the records or something.

Like i said she did great for DC but Marvel can beat that easily.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: WW didn't do THAT great. Lol people acting like she's destroyed all the records or something.

CaptainSalt, you hide your secret identity worse than Clark Kent's glasses

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By adamTRMM

@zepta_pon said:

Absolutely.

Disney is KING in marketing, launching astronomical hype trains, social manipulation, and of course their critics.

I expect no less, Miss Marvel got this.

I wouldn't say that the critics are theirs per se, but Dinsey did made them think twice before trashing their movies:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/11/07/disney_is_blacklisting_los_angeles_times_critics.html

It's obvious they wouldn't want to be bullied by such an influential monstrosity lol

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So long as MCU is behind it.

Wakel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Cinematic Universe, baby.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW was very good. The project was solid and the source material excellent.

For Captain Marvel, for the first time, THE MCU is focusing a movie on a character pushed forward to satisfy their own agenda.

I'm skeptical.

It reminds me the push for the Inhumans vs The X-men, or even worst, the push for Jane-Thor and other BS from the recent years in the comics.

I love Carol Danvers, but because of her link with the X-men and her strong background as a civilian.

Trying to make here the Marvel equivalent of WW is a gamble.

It might work. But, like I said, I'm skeptical.

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WakandonSon

@bullpr: be skeptical. WW is still getting beat by CM at least 300mil. DC is b-list. There numbers are small potatoes compared to Marvel.

WW's 800mil is big for DC. Not Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakandonson: what is the deal with you saying “DC’s b-list” ad nauseam? Like they’re not as big as Marvel? Yeah, we all know that, especially comparing MCU to DCEU. And before you say it, I’m far from a DCEU fanboy, WW is the only film I like, I just want to watch good films, don’t really care if they’re Marvel or DC.

CM has a very good chance to beat WW. You’re right that 800mil isn’t big for Marvel, but it’s not small either, I’m not sure why you’re convinced that CM will be the 2nd biggest MCU solo movie when it’s about a character that the paying public still doesn’t even know.

TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakandonson: Wonder Woman is B-list? That's just false. She's in the top 5 most popular heroes by far.

And Captain Marvel is a C to D-list character.

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wakandonson: Wonder Woman is B-list? That's just false. She's in the top 5 most popular heroes by far.

And Captain Marvel is a C to D-list character.

doubt she's top 5.. I'd put Hulk and Wolverine ahead of her.

TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WakandonSon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MCU is a-list. Marvel is. DC is all b-list. A argument can be made for Batman.

Wonder Woman is NOT A-list.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Captain Marvel is not the little-girl icon that Wonder Woman is, nor is she the first out of the gate female-led superhero movie, but it's an MCU movie, it will be after Infinity War and Brie Larson is a good actress (as much as I love WW, Gadot is no Larson in the acting), so it definitely has a shot. At least a 50/50 shot which is pretty good in my book.

The better question is will Black Panther make more than Wonder Woman and will Captain Marvel make more than Black Panther?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MCU is a-list. Marvel is. DC is all b-list. A argument can be made for Batman.

Batman

Superman

Wonder Woman

The Flash

The Justice League

Green Lantern

Aquaman

All A-list titles, just to name a few

And no, I'm not just referring to movies (certainly not with Green Lantern). Tons of people grew up with the DCAU, as well as other animated DC related products like the Super Friends or the many DC animated movies, not to mention the CW shows putting characters like Flash and Green Arrow even more in the spotlight. And then there's the comics themselves, where nearly every member of the Justice League's original seven is instantly recognizable to not only the mass comic audience, but many non-comic fans as well.

Marvel is definitely doing well right now, arguably better than DC in some of areas, but having bad movies has not dropped ANY of the characters down from A-list status, because otherwise Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Captain America, and the Hulk would not even be a blip in anyone's memories after some of the terrible films they've had. I'm actually curious what your definition of A-list even is, because from the way you talk sometimes it almost seems like you'd think Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man were considered C-listers before the MCU, which they most certainly were not.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Are people seriously saying Batman and Superman are b listers now? efkopdsk

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry but Captain Marvel ain't replacing Wonder woman's role since that gal been around for many decades and inspired so many women/girls/etc from female side into many amazing deeds.

Carol has many terrible events in comics like a man make babies with her by random confusing time traveling logic or seem like a fodder was kiss by Rogue from x men.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kgb725

Black Panther is being carried by the black demographic. We won't see that for Carol so who knows

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I change my mind.

I have some doubts, so I’ll just say let’s wait and see.

CosmicMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a shot. Is it likely? Probably not. We need to see some footage first, no one expected Black Panther to have the 5th highest domestic opening (with the highest monday gross of all time), but it did. Anything above $550-600 million for Captain Marvel will be a success, and people should not really compare it to Wonder Woman to determine its success. Wonder Woman has always been a way more popular character

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Billy might draw in the kid crowd if DC doesn't screw it up.

Avatar image for superdragonfly9
SuperDragonfly9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SuperDragonfly9

Pretty much. WW has too many elements like Captain America 1. Plus Captain Marvel is gonna be set in the 90s before Fury lost his eye. It should be very interesting.

Something tells me Captain Marvel is gonna take Captain America's place as leader of the team. Just look at how females are more powerful with lead roles in movies now. It's definitely a possibility.