Does anyone else think the Fast and Furious/Hobbs and Shaw stuff has run it's course?

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 76

Poll: Does anyone else think the Fast and Furious/Hobbs and Shaw stuff has run it's course? (39 votes)

Oh hell yes 67%
Maybe just one more... 18%
Nay! 15%

Personally, I'm really not sure we need any more movies of over-the-top vehicular action and Dwayne Johnson being cool. People talk about Superhero Fatigue, but honestly, I have much more "Fast and Furious Fatigue". Does anyone else feel the same way? Is it finally time to put this series to bed?

• 
shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never been much of a F&F fan. I don't hate them, I've just never really cared for them.

iDevos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iDevos

@shroudofsorrow: Hey dumbass simply don't watch the movie, talking about fatigue. Switch over to your next mainstream ass franchise to watch. Will it be MCU, james bond, mission impossible... Who knows.

Stfu. People who liked Fast and Furious to begin with are lame

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did years ago.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We get like two or three superhero movies every year, while you get one F&F movie every two-three years. No wonder some people have enough of superhero movies, especially after Endgame.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Richubs

I'd prefer if someone took everything about this franchise and everything it stands for and burns it into a fiery blasting flame before I turn flashing white hot in rage and kill someone.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@the_wspanialy: Yeah, but most of those Superhero movies do a much better job of feeling distinct from one another then the F&F movies do. Plus, many individual superheroes of fairly different backgrounds have got only one or two movies to their name. F&F is about a single group of characters that has gone on forever at this point.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like the MCU

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorb777: Eh, I disagree. Black Panther and Doctor Strange, to name just two examples, feel way more distinct from one another than any given two F&F movies. The MCU movies also have a lot more heart and frankly intelligence to their stories and writing then the Furious movies do overall.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: Meh, the two film franchise are about the same, just dumb fun from both franchises. No thought at all is required to view either franchise and nothing about the MCU writing is superior to FF.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I like my dumb action movie, so no.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly i saw the movie and while the movie is utterly trash. I really enjoyed it.

Its funny, has over the top 90s action and testosterone.

Its anoying that people think this days that every movie has to be on par with the godfather. I just went there with friends laughed, ate popcorn and had fun.

Charismatic actors and two hours of fun and no trying to analyse why things are like they are.

DannyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the franchise is evolving and it’s a good thing. And honestly as “dumb” and “over the top” as the movies may seem, they are still entertaining as hell and have incredibly likable characters. Mix that with strong performances, some genuine heartfelt moments, and a timeless central theme, it’s a shame some people are too stuck up to enjoy them.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaoron

I never cared much about the first movies as a kid , liked them but it was nothing spectacular, I stopped following them at 5 when my ex forced me to watch it at the cinema but not so long ago I did a marathon all the way to the newest entry. Bald muscle heads, slutty girls, generic family is the most important story lines and characterizations, sport cars that even if I had money to buy I would be too embarrassed to and corny lines that half of the time make no sense... I loved it. Think is movies like Mission Impossible or James Bond take itself way too seriously for what they are while F&F is a like a parody of them, the dumber and more ridicolous it gets, the better and creators seem to know it. So if you aske me, no, definitely keep them in, especially since they come out in 2-3 years gaps while there's around 5 CBMs per year.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked F&F but the newer ones were more enjoyable than the first IMO. But F&F 8 was trash. I especially got irritated by Shaw - a cold-blooded killer who suddenly became a hero and became Torreto's friend even though he killed his another very good friend before (that Japanese guy, don't remember his name). Can't think how stupid is this...

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@emperorb777 said:

@shroudofsorrow: Meh, the two film franchise are about the same, just dumb fun from both franchises. No thought at all is required to view either franchise and nothing about the MCU writing is superior to FF.

....no, they're really not. All of the best MCU films are more than just dumb fun and yes, are far more well written then F&F's stuff. Not a single F&F film has had anywhere close to the heart and writing quality of Avengers: Endgame, to give just one example. I have never felt for or cared about the characters in F&F the way I did in the last two Avengers movies.

And I also completely disagree that "no thought" is required to view them. Again, I think Endgame alone disproves that notion, to say nothing for every other great MCU film. That a movie's message or ideas aren't completely inscrutable doesn't mean they require no thought to view or enjoy. You have to at least some thought to appreciate everything those films accomplish (including the fact that the whole experiment of the MCU was actually successful). That they're not The Godfather, Logan, or a Daniel Day-Lewis film doesn't make them the garbage you seem to view them as, or as dumb as the F&F series.

@supermanforever said:

Honestly i saw the movie and while the movie is utterly trash. I really enjoyed it.

Its funny, has over the top 90s action and testosterone.

Its anoying that people think this days that every movie has to be on par with the godfather. I just went there with friends laughed, ate popcorn and had fun.

Charismatic actors and two hours of fun and no trying to analyse why things are like they are.

There's a middle ground between Godfather and something totally mindless and stupid. And besides, we've already had so many of them at this point, that do we really need any more?

@gaoron said:

I never cared much about the first movies as a kid , liked them but it was nothing spectacular, I stopped following them at 5 when my ex forced me to watch it at the cinema but not so long ago I did a marathon all the way to the newest entry. Bald muscle heads, slutty girls, generic family is the most important story lines and characterizations, sport cars that even if I had money to buy I would be too embarrassed to and corny lines that half of the time make no sense... I loved it. Think is movies like Mission Impossible or James Bond take itself way too seriously for what they are while F&F is a like a parody of them, the dumber and more ridicolous it gets, the better and creators seem to know it. So if you aske me, no, definitely keep them in, especially since they come out in 2-3 years gaps while there's around 5 CBMs per year.

I don't know, Mission Impossible and a lot of James Bond films are pretty over-the-top and crazy also. It's mostly the Craig Bond films that take themselves seriously, but those are also more grounded. But the Roger Moore Bond films are pretty over-the-top too, just in a different way from F&F.

Mr_Shazam0920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it has.

SocaJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They’re fun.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was ok really and with that ending, a sequel is now inevitable.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the franchise is evolving and it’s a good thing. And honestly as “dumb” and “over the top” as the movies may seem, they are still entertaining as hell and have incredibly likable characters. Mix that with strong performances, some genuine heartfelt moments, and a timeless central theme, it’s a shame some people are too stuck up to enjoy them.

What "timeless central theme" would that be?

And I don't think feeling that after 8 movies plus one spin-off it's run it's course is being "stuck up". Especially since you can have movies that do everything you just described without being as mindless.

StormShadow_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

Nah.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shroudofsorrow

I find it interesting that the "Yes" option has gotten the most votes so far, but most of the comments are giving a "no" answer. Guess the urge to tell me I'm wrong is that strong, huh?

Although, if we group the two other options together, then it's 41% to 59%. So more divisive.

Avatar image for the_agent_of_chaos
The_Agent_Of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: went today watching hobbs and shaw and i enjoyed it , so no.

theyre not a problem, dumn pop corn flicks. i go there for some fun not for expecting a great plot and acting. there you go tarantino , nolan , scorsese etc. hobbs trilogy and end at 9 or 10 the saga.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KillBilly
DannyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DannyPhantom

@shroudofsorrow: family and sacrifice.. lol it’s pretty apparent in every movie.

And I’m not saying everyone who dislikes them are stuck up, I just said that because most of the criticism I see for those movies are extremely superficial i.e. bad scripts, bad plot/plot holes, cheesy. Like, what do they expect from a “mindless” action movie? A masterclass in writing, directing, editing, cinematography, acting, pacing, and everything else? Like come on, it’s just a cool action flick, if you don’t like it don’t watch it. Clearly the GA still likes them so they’ll keep coming.

Edit: also which movies do you think do it better? Just curious

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dannyphantom: Well, as I said, there is a middle ground between what you just described and something mindless. This is actually how I would describe the MCU as a whole; it's not The Godfather or Oscar Bait, but it's not totally mindless either. It has a balance between popcorn action and some amount of heart and engaging storytelling and characters, rather than relying solely on action alone.

Though for what it's worth, I would agree with what you said earlier that some of the later F&F movies are better than many of the older ones. Even so, when I saw the trailer for Hobbs and Shaw and found myself embarrassed just to be viewing it, I knew I had reached my limit. I could stand a few of these films, but not this many.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The franchise is shamelessly dumb and full of ridiculous action, which is okay imo. I like superhero movies for the same reason, most if not all action movies (not superhero) are pretty stupid and lame and I usually don’t like them but I like that the F&F are open about the way they are and force the dumb popcorn aspect.

Movies are there to entertain us and this is is fine for many of them so long as the whole industry doesn’t turn into cheap entertainment. I watch a lot of movies, some bad and some serious and depending on mood one can enjoy many things.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shroudofsorrow

I think I should probably explain to everyone here that I never said "dumb but fun" action movies were always bad or should never be made. At least, I don't think I said that. My criticism of F&F has more to do with how we've gotten so many of them at this point, and while "dumb but fun" may be fine from time to time, I just don't believe that we need as many examples of it in one franchise as we've gotten. Looking at a lot of the comments I get the impression that people seem to think I am totally opposed to the dumb-but-fun style in all things, which isn't true. I simply feel that nine movies of it is more than enough.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RabumAlal

@shroudofsorrow: I didn’t get that impression from you.

To your 9 movies argument, I feel like the franchise rebooted (and evolved if you call this progress) after Furious 7, and is making seriously dumb movies now with top quality action and unapologetic stories. It is a way of movies to stay fresh and not be burdened by long history not like say Star Wars which is still more enjoyable if you view them all before seeing the next installment. Every movie is new-viewer friendly because they are all dumb and just focus on giving someone a fun time. Having veeeery vague knowledge (ah, that’s the mumblegrowl guy’s girl, that’s his friend. Oh yeah, here is the Rock, ah Jason Statham was in these as well) works and arguably better than an entirely new movie would as cheesy ‘heartfelt’ or emotional scenes would be simply way more laughable and not enjoyable without even a hinted gravitas behind it.

These types of movies are the new 80s-90s Stallone/Schwarzenegger/Van Damme stuff without the overly masculine leads (except the Rock who somehow turned himself into an icon for the times) and explosive action. It is laced with humour, better effects and looks slicker in general.

As entertainment gets bigger, the popular ones tend to annoy more. Hit songs nowadays change much faster and hit bigger, similar to the movies. It used to be that ‘shit but good’ stuff had much more space between them and weren’t dominating as much. This can be concerning if it affects the overall quality of everything.

But I don’t think it does. We have access to great music and films now more than anyone ever did. Good stuff comes out every year and finding it only requires you to not be entranced by the big marketed thing and simply look for it. As mentioned before, it is also okay to get entertainment from the big dumb thing every once in a while.

I am now sad that I took time and effort to think about this franchise and write this.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: I think you made some sound points, and I do respect your argument overall, so I wouldn't call it a loss on your part XD

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No, it's dumb fun and nothing is wrong with that. I like over-the-top action.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

I just find it funny it went from be about illegal underground racing, to toppling global threats and ragdolling helicopters.

The_Agent_Of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They’re funny absolutely over the top good action movies, fast 5-6-7 are pretty solid action movies and they weren’t critically panned but successful for audience and ok for critics , they have some MCU critic ratings so we should bash some MCU movies or DCEU for that? Nah

Different franchise that gives their audience the product they want , the rock and Jason kicking ass and some good and funny dialogue and plot. You only get fast and furious every 2 year so it’s not a problem for me, I go there for what they are.

Are they great filmaking, nah but solid pop corn flicks, good movies but not great films.

7.5/10 to Hobbs and Shaw would recommend, if has a great pacing and a good villain.

The_Agent_Of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: Plus its 54% VS 46%

And there are worse franchise and stuff than it.

Fast and furious are neither mission impossible blockbuster quality but neither transformers or Jurassic world ones (which are ok) so I don’t see the problem with it.

As long there is the rock or diesel they will get my money for a watch or I’ll watch stream

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Enough is enough

DannyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: yeah Idk if I would put the MCU in the same category of fun and dumb action movies as F&F. There’s an actual point and purpose, and an overarching story with the MCU. Each film has to exist in order to make sense of the grander whole. F&F is a linear franchise for the most part and not every next movie has to be made, but they are anyways because they are fun crowd pleasers. The rising stakes and ridiculous antics don’t get old because they constantly outdo themselves and don’t worry about logic or anything, unlike Marvel movies which are very self conscious about making sense and following some rules.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those movies are great. Unironically some of the most fun I've had at a theater is watching those movies, even if they aren't legitimately good or even like decent.

KoLKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're fun and enjoyable movies and they clealry havent run their course yet given how much money they make. Don't like em, dont watch em.