Does anybody, I mean anybody at all, actually like Captain Marvel?

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Hajduk  Online

Rarely have I seen such unanimous disdain for a character. It seems like absolutely everybody is in agreement that this character sucks.

Eri_Joni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah,there are people that like her.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a few do. I could as well , if Feige actually turns her into a relatable and flawed character and not someone who is perfect at everything .

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nn5

Obviously yes. I'd consider her cool character myself if it wasn't for Feige pushing her on top.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I bet there are a lot of people who like her. Just not here I suppose lol

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jrupert1

I like Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers).

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rajjarsalt

I lactually like her portrayal in the CM film, but I don't like her EG portrayal at all. It's all inflated ego and arrogance that isn't made meaningful because for the rest she's pretty much fighting. Like Vers, the only difference you make is one more Power Stone punch to the face.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Branch out from the vine. You'll see

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Hajduk  Online

@the_stegman: Where should I branch out to? Comic vine is the only forum I use. Are there any other good ones?

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Where should I branch out to? Comic vine is the only forum I use. Are there any other good ones?

I think he was talking like Real life

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Hajduk  Online

@kevd4wg said:
@the_hajduk said:

I think he was talking like Real life

Oh. Well we all know that isn’t happening.

Jucaslucasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics or MCU?

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Miss Marvel oh God yessss..........Captain Marvel?..............get the f@%k outta here with that garbage

Avatar image for overpoweredbullrush
OverpoweredBullrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: I do, honestly I don’t hate her. She’s ok.. I’d rate a 6-6.5/10 as a charachter in her movie.

She is just a bit static and boring, in endgame they have written her in too arrogant and her haircut wasn’t that good.

Honestly there are worse MCU charachters; Killian , Malekith and MCU QuickSilver too.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killbilly  Moderator

Billy Batson is one of the best DC characters. :>

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrTrey

It's because you're mostly a bunch of incels who think the average boring MCU hero/Iron Man #20 is somehow uniquely bad because she's a chick with some girl power themed shit, and the actress said some shit about sexism or whatever that makes you all butthurt.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@wakeupsid: You know flawed and relatable isn't really the answer to fixing a character. These traits are good, but being dimensional, fascinating, compelling and believable are far better qualities to prioritize when creating a character.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mcu or comic version? Because I liked the comic version up until civil war 2. Haven't read much with her since. The mcu version is pretty bad but I don't hate her

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i do

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will always be someone out there who does

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jashro44

My best friends girl friend likes her. I think she does better with audiences that don't post online frequently, and are women.

Personally I liked her one scene with Peter. "You got something for me Peter Parker?" I never saw her solo movie so I don't know what she's like there. If I see more scenes like that I think she would be a good character.

Avatar image for superiorsgbeast
SuperiorSGBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn’t my favorite character but I don’t have a problem with her.

Hating a fictional character is dumb

Avatar image for superiorsgbeast
SuperiorSGBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_: True there are way too many characters that are relatable and flawed.

Its being over done

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Hajduk  Online

@mrtrey said:

It's because you're mostly a bunch of incels who think the average boring MCU hero/Iron Man #20 is somehow uniquely bad because she's a chick with some girl power themed shit, and the actress said some shit about sexism or whatever that makes you all butthurt.

Bait

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Hajduk  Online
@jashro44 said:

My best friends girl friend likes her. I think she does better with audiences that don't post online frequently, and are women.

Personally I liked her one scene with Peter. "You got something for me Peter Parker?" I never saw her solo movie so I don't know what she's like there. If I see more scenes like that I think she would be a good character.

Brie Larson is actually cool. I really liked her in that moment too. The directors need to give her more moments like that. She was never that cool in her own movie.

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_logos_: Which all lead to relatability.

A character being dimensional means that he or she has complexities, has doubts , has internal struggles , has opinions , and isn’t the epitome of perfection. He or she can also layers .

Superman , for example , struggles with the idea of being a beacon of hope in a world full of so many disparities. He too wants a family and love. In “ The Man Who Has Everything “ , Superman is incapacitated and he dreams about a life on Krypton where he has a family and friends. When faced with the idea of leaving all this behind the protect the world , Superman is hesitant , yet still accepts to go . But , on his way out , Superman is struggling to hold back tears .

Similarly for MCU Cap , a lot of people considered him to be too perfect , but his story was basically about a guy at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was a guy who was in depression about not having had a dance with the love of his life , but he still accepted it and moved own . But , soon he realized that the world wasn’t as simple as it used to be and that , no matter what happened, the war would never truly end . He realized that he needed a life of his own and so , went back to 1949 and finally lived the life he always wanted to . Civil War was basically a consequence of Steve’s depression .

Thor himself was a guy who was worthy since Thor 1 , but he grew up on the idea that good man equates to being a successful hero and a great king . After having suffered failure after failure , time and time again , Thor becomes a recluse , believing that he failed his mother , father , brother , friends , people , and the universe. That’s why when he is able to summon Mjolnir and claim , “ I am still worthy “ is so heartwarming.

Such qualities of wanting to be loved , depression , anxiety, and not being sure of whether you are good enough or not , are basically what makes a character dimensional.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She’s just really bland and forgettable as a character

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@_logos_: Which all lead to relatability.

A character being dimensional means that he or she has complexities, has doubts , has internal struggles , has opinions , and isn’t the epitome of perfection. He or she can also layers .

Depth and complexity can lead to relatability sure, but this is not always the case. All those character traits especially for superheroes add depth to their character, but they are not always relatable. In fact I'd say most of them aren't relatable to the average person. Most people's experiences aren't as dramatic and bold as the examples you listed, but instead our experiences are more subtle and require us to look deeper at ourselves. Often times we end up missing the lessons life throws at us.

I actually think most of the time it's characters who share common flaws that end up being more relatable, but just because we can relate to a character doesn't mean the character is inherently well written. You need to be able to explain those flaws and the condition the character is in with something that makes sense. Otherwise if you just have flaws and relatability and no rationality behind the characters existence you get the meh characters of today. Like Kylo Ren, Light Turner (from Netflix Deathnote) or Lucifer (from the god awful TV show).

Daz_GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like her in MCU so strong

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Carol and Kamala.

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I do. Why wouldn't I?

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TobeyMaguire84

My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate likes her

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If everyone stops telling me that I HAVE to like her or I am a sexist incel then perhaps...

AstralSoul13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure she has her fans but to me she is one of the most boring Marvel characters in recent memory.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some of her recent comics aren’t bad

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nothing against her.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like her all that much, I have a few reasons why.

1. Carol is supposed to be the face of the MCU going forward, but she barely appears throughout Endgame(I feel like the Russos believed she would have been too OP, this connects with the point below).

2. They should have kept the original power dynamics from the comics(She's basically Iron Man level but below Hulk and Thor), because people would've complained about her being too op(Plus her role could have been filled by other characters the MCU could use, like Sentry, Hyperion, and maybe Blue Marvel, but we are likely never to see them, because Carol is supposed to be that).

3. Inconsistent power level, this is a problem with almost every MCU character but Carol in the beginning of Endgame was struggling against Thanos, later in the film she no sells a headbutt from Thanos and completely overpowered him, but then we get statements from the Russos(They say Carol might not be able to wield the gauntlet), so which is it...Is she stronger than Thanos or not?

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers