Doctor Strange Just Opened A Mystical School!: Marvel's Strange Academy

• 69 results
Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Through its history, the Marvel Universe has seen magic rise and fall to warp minds, control the future, and even destroy the very fabric of reality. Now, magic has changed and is more powerful – and dangerous – than ever, and Doctor Strange is forced to do what he’s avoided for decades: he’s opened a school for young sorcerers…but as they will soon learn, magic always comes at a cost. Welcome to STRANGE ACADEMY!

Announced by the Associated Press, STRANGE ACADEMY will launch this March as a new ongoing series helmed by best-selling comic book veterans: Eisner Award-winning writer Skottie Young (Deadpool, Rocket Raccoon) and critically acclaimed artist Humberto Ramos (Amazing Spider-Man, Champions). The new series will bring together a whole new class of students from Earth, Weirdworld, Asgard, the Dark Dimension, and beyond to learn how to control their gifts in the Mystic Arts under Doctor Strange, Brother Voodoo, The Ancient One, Scarlet Witch, Magik, Hellstrom, and all of Marvel’s most iconic magicians. But with a new threat looming on the horizon, is it too late?

No Caption Provided

“What we’re really trying to do is tell those classic coming of age stories that we’ve seen in so many other properties or other projects out there in the world whether it be TV or film or novels or comics,” Young told the AP. “Whether it’s kids running around mazes or kids at a magic school or people running around trying to survive a post-apocalyptic landscape.”

“Over a year ago, I was driving Skottie down from the airport in Mexico, and out of the blue, he asked me what I wanted to do after working on Spider-Man,” said Ramos. “He began to pitch me on an incredible project for the rest of the weekend…and I’m excited to now say that project is STRANGE ACADEMY! Like all great stories, they all start with an idea…and this idea blew me away. We can’t share too much yet, but if you stick around, you’ll get to experience magic like you’ve never seen before in the Marvel Universe. Welcome to Strange Academy! Man, I love the first day of school!”

STRANGE ACADEMY will center on Emily Bright (a girl who discovered magical powers since birth), Doyle Dormammu (the illegitimate son of the Dark Dimension’s ruler), and their new classmates as mysteries begin to unfold not just for the students at the school, but for the entire Marvel Universe. With a new cast rooted in Marvel’s history and fan-favorite characters, this series will be the perfect introduction for both fans just diving into comics and for fans who have been following Marvel for years.

Set in the mystical backdrop of New Orleans, The Big Easy will play a pivotal role in STRANGE ACADEMY with its rich local culture and innate magic of the French Quarter, the Bayou, the Swamps, and more. To capture the essence of STRANGE ACADEMY, Young and Ramos conducted their research firsthand.

“There’s a nice history and folklore about magic and the mystic arts and the dark arts and things like that that kind of surround the mythos of New Orleans,” said Young. “Having just gone there myself for my 40th, I thought that would be a great place to set it.”

THE PREVIEW:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Sources: Enroll in Marvel's STRANGE ACADEMY This March/ Meet DOYLE DORMAMMU, EMILY BRIGHT, And More Students of STRANGE ACADEMY #1

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was skeptical at first, but the intro and preview did make me more interested in this, can't wait to see it develop.

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and, Doyle Dormammu is a promising character.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Satannish and Doyle don't have a bro moment, I'll be mad.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soratoumiga said:

Oh, and, Doyle Dormammu is a promising character.

Yeah, I truly wanna see more of him.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Because I knew that didn't need to, duh.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jrupert1

The potential with something like this is great, regarding Marvels mystic side in general. Intrigued, and naturally I was going to follow it anyway, but I can think up some potential problems in how it's going to be executed. We'll just have to wait and see.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmonster  Online

Is that Ben 10 as Heatblast?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: I like the concept, but this looks too cartoony. Reminds me way too much of Young Avengers and Young Justice type teams.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

Is that Ben 10 as Heatblast?

As much as it looks like it, it's Doyle. Son of Dormammu.

I like the concept, but this looks too cartoony. Reminds me way too much of Young Avengers and Young Justice type teams.

It's literally the same concept, I believe.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Yea, I noticed. I’m not asking for 2007 Doctor Strange level of dark, where students are getting killed off one after another, but like... this makes Harry Potter look like Berserk.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

Yea, I noticed. I’m not asking for 2007 Doctor Strange level of dark, where students are getting killed off one after another, but like... this makes Harry Potter look like Berserk.

We'll see if the tone gets heavier, it's too early to draw any conclusions. And I think this art is probably meant to attract both demographics(Teenagers and adults).

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: True, I do enjoy stories that seem fun and adventurous on the surface and know to keep the dark subtle and hidden, but still. I just wish it were a bit less... young avengers-ish. They could have at least gone for something more like Mana Khemia.

Too bad this didn’t come out during the Kid Loki’s run. He’d have been a nice addition to the cast.

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By lazarus4tempest

think i'll give this one a shot...yasssss rep for Asgardian that blond kid better be integrated in Thor's new book @andromeda101

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Do those characters have to noob magicians? Or anyone?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Do those characters have to noob magicians? Or anyone?

Any character you think would make sense plot-wise. Like, I can see Laharl sending Sicily here just to get her out of his hair, even though she'd probably stomp most of the faculty at the same time.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must say, Trauma not being there is surprising.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably too old now.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

@andromeda101 said:

Probably too old now.

You're saying this, but I'm pretty sure that Frost Giant girl must be like 100+ old.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

@andromeda101 said:

Probably too old now.

You're saying this, but I'm pretty sure that Frost Giant girl must be like 100+ old.

Completely different species, not really the same thing.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, this series is pretty much Umbrella Academy + Harry Potter + Young Avengers/Young Justice.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

I'm not sure Trauma ages exactly like a normal human being either, though. Or his powers. And even then, Marvel's timeline is a mess regardless.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

I'm not sure Trauma ages exactly like a normal human being either, though. Or his powers. And even then, Marvel's timeline is a mess regardless.

I'd imagine his aging would halt once he hits adult-hood, but outside of that, it seemed like he aged pretty normally from what I saw.

He's probably an adult by now.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

Eh? Where'd the Umbrella Academy part come from?

They're living a school with other super freaks and will probably learn how to control their powers in order to save the world at some point. It's pretty much the characters from Umbrella Academy when they were younger.

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, I can say they're the supernatural X-Men from Marvel as well(Which's weird since some mutations are mystical-based).

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that case:

• Alleria Windrunner (Warcraft)- She has discovered a new power with difficulty to control it, I think something like a magic academy would suit her in this period of her life.
  • Queen Azshara (Warcraft) - She'd solo the Academy, but it would be amusing to watch her there. She is arrogant, egoistic, narcissistic, but still a powerful mastermind.
  • Patrick Star (SpongeBob Squarepants) - Do I really need to explain this?
  • Lucifer Morningstar (Vertigo) - His interactions with students, teachers and other staff would be unique and interesting. His wit and cunning would definitely give us some nice dialogues.
  • John Constantine (DC) - He would be the guy who constantly disobeys the teachers.
Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do hope the Empirikul returns in this series, they're too good of a concept to be discarded after only one arc from Aaron.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that case:

• Alleria Windrunner (Warcraft)- She has discovered a new power with difficulty to control it, I think something like a magic academy would suit her in this period of her life.
  • Queen Azshara (Warcraft) - She'd solo the Academy, but it would be amusing to watch her there. She is arrogant, egoistic, narcissistic, but still a powerful mastermind.
  • Patrick Star (SpongeBob Squarepants) - Do I really need to explain this?
  • Lucifer Morningstar (Vertigo) - His interactions with students, teachers and other staff would be unique and interesting. His wit and cunning would definitely give us some nice dialogues.
  • John Constantine (DC) - He would be the guy who constantly disobeys the teachers.

Those are all adults. I did say it had to make sense plot-wise. xD

Like, I'm pretty sure Constantine and Lucifer would end up as teachers instead of students if they showed up.

Patrick would get rejected outright, and... I don't know enough about the other 2.

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Smh, I thought you meant teachers as well. I don't know any kids suitable for the academy, lol. Except the new Doctor Fate kid.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Smh, I thought you meant teachers as well. I don't know any kids suitable for the academy, lol. Except the new Doctor Fate kid.

Oh, lol. Yea, I meant for students, though I was planning on a version for Teachers as a follow up question.

Though I am pretty sure Patrick would get rejected outright regardless. xD

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jrupert1

@soratoumiga said:

Yeah, outside of staff I'm having a hard time coming up with good fits for the academy.

But could you just imagine Nabu as the dean? "There will be order at this school!"

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Patrick 2 dumb, yeah.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1 said:
@soratoumiga said:

Yeah, outside of staff I'm having a hard time coming up with good fits for students.

But could you just imagine Nabu as the dean? "There will be order at this school!"

lol I wonder if Nabu and Strange would get along or be at each other's throats under those circumstances. xD

But okay, I'll accept staff suggestions as well.

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: The school would be very orderly, literally.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zetsu-San

@jrupert1: @soratoumiga:

The students I'd send are:

Oz Vessalius:

No Caption Provided

He could match the up-beat and goofy nature of the series, while also introducing a lot of darker elements into the story. Especially, since he struggles with mental illness, and is basically the ultimate example of "you break everything you touch".

Also, I wonder if being in the Marvel Universe would alter the properties of his chain manipulation. His chains seem to be generated from the same energies that hold space/time together, so if he were in the marvel universe maybe he'd be end up spamming something akin to Crimson Bands of Cyttorak.

Sicily:

No Caption Provided

She'd turn the entire school into a chaotic mess. I can totally picture Laharl forcing her to join the academy to either, get her out of his hair, or as revenge on Strange for some confrontation they may have had off-screen.

She's a prankster, who never runs out of energy. Most of the staff would be incapable of dealing with her, considering she can pretty much run around the world in a split second and is the sister of a Hell-Lord in a setting where mid-tier demons are like star level+.

For a taste of her personality:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/make-fighting-game-dialogue-and-rate-the-dialogue--1913840/?page=4#js-message-19936624

Loki & Leah

No Caption Provided

Pretty self-explanatory. It really sucks they didn't use this concept back when these two were around. I think using Kid Loki as a main PoV character would have done a lot to carry the series.

Yugo

No Caption Provided

Definitely a fun character, he can travel between dimensions so him making it here would be plausible, and over-all he'd serve as a good bridge between Mysticism and Cosmic power.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jrupert1

@zetsu-san said:
@jrupert1 said:
@soratoumiga said:

Yeah, outside of staff I'm having a hard time coming up with good fits for students.

lol I wonder if Nabu and Strange would get along or be at each other's throats under those circumstances. xD

But okay, I'll accept staff suggestions as well.

Well then

1) Clea (obviously) - Dual position as School Councilor and Teacher - Focusing on otherworlds studies (and how to lead rebellions). Develops a teacher student bond with Doyle Dormammu who is sort of an unruly outcast.

2) Zatanna - Teacher (reputation as the schools resident hot teacher) - Aside from teaching general spellcasting (plus linguistics) and the like she'll also be head of the performance arts at the school.

3) John Constantine - Ex Teacher - Previously head of occult studies, notoriously fired for reasons that will forever circulate the academy in rumor. Replaced by Harry Dresden - Also leads the mystic equivalent of the chess team.

4) Kent Nelson Dr Fate (Nabu directly is probably too much) - Dean - Says it all really.

5) Rincewind - Student - School screw up, masquerading as younger than he is to match the other students (like Steve Buscemi in 30 Rock). Just happy to be there.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: Kanna meeting the Empirakul would be interesting. Her mix of magic and technology could be used as a major plot-point and foil.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soratoumiga: @jrupert1:

For teachers, you guys kind of used a lot of the ones I would have, so I could only really come up with 3:

Niv Mizzet:

No Caption Provided

He'd be the science teacher. Some of the logistical issues would have to be worked out though, since he's explicitly plane-bound as in can't leave his dimension under normal circumstances. Maybe Doctor Strange can come up with a solution, or Jace can be used as an emissary of some sort.

Dante:

No Caption Provided

He'd be the gym teacher. Basically the school's equivalent to Wolverine.

Yuko Ichihara

No Caption Provided

It's been a while since I've kept up with any of the series she's related to, but I figured I'd toss her in since she's an interdimensional witch who regularly across multiple different stories from the same publishing company.

She'd probably teach about magical artifacts or something.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1 said:

3) John Constantine - Ex Teacher - Previously head of occult studies, notoriously fired for reasons that will forever circulate the academy in rumor. Replaced by Harry Dresden - Also leads the mystic equivalent of the chess team.

lol would anyone notice the difference? xD

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm...

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#47 Magian  Online

Could potentially be a very interesting book. It reminds me a lot of Wolverine and the X-Men book, most because of the art and because both are dealing with an academy but at least based on that preview it doesn't seem like it's going to be as comedic as that. Sure it doesn't look that heavy anyway.

ShadowRazer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool

Andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Andromeda101

Doyle should be the son of Dormammu and Umar. Make it happen, Marvel.

We all know they banged.

Avatar image for superiorsgbeast
SuperiorSGBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SuperiorSGBeast

This sounds and looks amazing and with great writers behind it too

Its literally impossible for this to be shit