Doctor Strange 2 Suffers One of the Worst Drops In MCU History

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Marvel Studios' Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness grossed $16.7 million on Friday, dropping a steep 81% from the $90.7 million earned domestically during its opening day. This marks the second-worst second Friday drop for an MCU movie. Projections have the film dropping around 65%-69% this second weekend, eyeing a gross of $60-$65 million.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is a big movie, many would go on opening weekend to avoid spoilers and it would be available on streaming in the next few months so there's no reason to rewatch it in theatres multiple times, a drop like that is expected.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By heiqn

Edit

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aystarr said:

it is a big movie, many would go on opening weekend to avoid spoilers and it would be available on streaming in the next few months so there's no reason to rewatch it in theatres multiple times, a drop like that is expected.

It is not gonna make a billion which is very rare for a movie opening above 150 million. The word of mouth is terrible

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@heiqn said:

Film got 450M in the first week and barely got 100M in the second week, that makes me think it probably can't pass 650-700M, let alone reaching 1B.

I won't be surprised if it can't pass Batman and get negged by Thor or BP2

Lol damn

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KillianDuclark

Poor Fiege. He's going to have be comforted by the knowledge that at least his other mediocre films made a billion dollars. (not so suitable jabs at black panther and captain marvel)

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Fiege. He's going to have be comforted by the knowledge that at least his other mediocre films made a billion dollars. (not so suitable jabs at black panther and captain marvel)

Neither of those movies had terrible WOM. Black Panther had very good and Captain Marvel had good WOM unllke Dr Strange.

It is time for Feige to take a relook at how much Disney plus shows be connected to MCU

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aystarr
@heiqn said:

Film got 450M in the first week and barely got 100M in the second week, that makes me think it probably can't pass 650-700M, let alone reaching 1B.

It's already at 688M in just 9 days after worldwide release, it should pass 700M.

@drmorbius said:
@aystarr said:

It is not gonna make a billion which is very rare for a movie opening above 150 million. The word of mouth is terrible

And you also have to consider that it wasn't released in a lot of huge conservative countries like china and some middle eastern countries, it would have been near a billion (if not surpassing it) by now. And the word of mouth is mostly people pissed that they didn't see 960 cameos of their favorite characters after setting unrealistic expectations for the movie lol ( I'm not saying it doesn't have it's flaws but the point remains).

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By heiqn

@aystarr: it's not 688M it's 613M

This is a huge difference if you consider film's entire gross was 90M in last 5 days.

Which site are you using?

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drmorbius:

I quite recall captain marvel having poor word of mouth even before it was released. And deservedly.

Black Panther had the opposite problem of being overhyped.

Overall though I wasn't really talking about WoM I was talking about their general quality

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drmorbius:

I quite recall captain marvel having poor word of mouth even before it was released. And deservedly.

Black Panther had the opposite problem of being overhyped.

Overall though I wasn't really talking about WoM I was talking about their general quality

Captain Marvel had an A cinema score unlike Dr Strange B+

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aystarr: Spiderman no way home made 2 billion without China. Joker made a billion without China.

Middle east is not really important to box office

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn: Didnt check any site but I've seen about three official sources confirming it in the past few hours.

No Caption Provided

---

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-635a8f29e06c3
deactivated-635a8f29e06c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The liked the movie overall, but i did notice many of the people in my cinema say things like "it wasnt that good" while walking out after the movie ended. I feel like script/runtime aside, the movie fumbled on creative choices such as cameoing a beloved character/anticipated character in xavier/mr fantastic only to have them quickly die. Some people also didnt like wanda turning evil. This movie likely had poorer word of mouth compared to most mcu films.

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drmorbius: yes it is important lol, it also wasn't released in some other countries but I can't remember which ones.

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drmorbius: Can't this drop be attributed to it not having access to the Chinese, Russian and Middle Eastern markets which banned it?

DrMorbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrMorbius
@lordtwigo said:

@drmorbius: Can't this drop be attributed to it not having access to the Chinese, Russian and Middle Eastern markets which banned it?

No, China, Russia has nothing to do with drops in other countries especially US. It will gross less than Captain Marvel, Civil war. Spiderman far from home in US in spite of opening higher

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By nassergrant19
@ilambda said:

The liked the movie overall, but i did notice many of the people in my cinema say things like "it wasnt that good" while walking out after the movie ended. I feel like script/runtime aside, the movie fumbled on creative choices such as cameoing a beloved character/anticipated character in xavier/mr fantastic only to have them quickly die. Some people also didnt like wanda turning evil. This movie likely had poorer word of mouth compared to most mcu films.

Yeah it was a pretty bad film. 6-7/10 for me. Strange’s final act development/Chavez’s relationship with him were the only saving graces.

I guess Feige knows not to continue this mess storyline for the future.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By heiqn

@aystarr: I'm using thenumbers .com, but if 688M is the true number, I'm taking my word back because 300M is quite possible in 15-20 days.

Johndeyvido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's to be expected TBH... The film is not rewatchable at all...

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whose alt is this?

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“Pretty bad flim 6-7”

Lol

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By heiqn
@a8612152 said:

Whose alt is this?

Not %100 sure, Tobey maybe?

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:
@a8612152 said:

Whose alt is this?

Not %100 sure, Tobey maybe?

Didn't even realize it was an alt lol, I thought I was talking to a sane person for a minute there.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ccbm2208

It’s gonna make 800-900 million, which is decent for a non-Avengers film.

Not every solo movie needs to make as much money as NWH.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Dr. Morbius"

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28 krisbishop  Moderator

Pretty typical for a highly hyped but disappointingly mediocre film.

MSheU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doctor Mid in the Midverse of Midness

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Morbin' time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilambda said:

Yeah it was a pretty bad film. 6-7/10 for me. Strange’s final act development/Chavez’s relationship with him were the only saving graces.

I guess Feige knows not to continue this mess storyline for the future.

This movie got a B+ cinemascore. Thats the same as the Venom movies. Now most people do enjoy those movies, but they know that they arent particularly well-made and are watching cos its fun. For a Feige-backed film a B+ shows a drop in story-quality, as far as the average audience is concerned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

Pretty typical for a highly hyped but disappointingly mediocre film.

This.

But it still could limp to a billion.

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not suprised

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Some drop was to be expected after such a massive opening.