#1 Posted by Heatforce (5273 posts) - - Show Bio

Mjolnir was a conduit for Thor's powers so safe to assume it was one for Hela too. Even though Mjolnir released a discharge of electrcitiy when it was destroyed, I assume that had to be leftover power from Thor; when you see the painting of Hela wielding Mjolnir, no lightning can be seen. How do you think Mjolnir amped Hela's abilities if lightning isn't natural to it?

#2 Edited by Outside_85 (23387 posts) - - Show Bio

Well no, it's a hammer, there is a limited amount of moves you can really use it with effectively.

#3 Edited by Heatforce (5273 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: True which is why Hela + Mjolnir doesn't really make sense given her fighting style but maybe it amped her somehow?

#4 Posted by SocaJunkie (7639 posts) - - Show Bio

She hit things with it.

#5 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6151 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna assume it was helping her control her powers before she could properly use them. Similar to Thor.

Maybe she used it to pull enemy weaponry away from them so they were easier to kill, or maybe she used it to fly like Thor.

I always questioned why Odin was gonna crown Thor as king prior to showing him his full abilities but now it makes sense. He was probably afraid Thor, who had Hela's bloodlust, would go on a conquering spree. I'm guessing he regretted it once he realized he was dying.

#6 Posted by Gaoron (7328 posts) - - Show Bio

Nuh, not really.

#7 Posted by Epicyon (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Well now that it's confirmed that flight was one of Thor's actual abilities that Mjolnir just helped him focus and not an enhancement of the hammer itself... All I can imagine is that she used it for it's telekinetic connection to help her hone her blade throwing and manipulation, maybe channel her power through it to fire crystal hammers.

#8 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6218 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe when she hit it into the ground her weapon spikes came out of the ground or some shit like that idk

#9 Posted by Matthew660 (1011 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, someone like her would look like an idiot wielding a giant hammer.

#10 Posted by Vertigo- (17254 posts) - - Show Bio

She hit things with it.

#11 Posted by xZone (7578 posts) - - Show Bio

It amped her ability to create weapons, the picture literally showed this

X

#12 Posted by Rajjar (765 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks so weird though! Asgardian TK is so weird!

So since Hela is still on training wheels, she needs her own TK hammer... to TK other weapons? Like, was Taika Waititi on some shrooms when he was inserting those soft retcons for Odin the Conqueror?

#13 Posted by ANTHP2000 (22851 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Lan_Fan (11618 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I've been wondering since the moment it was revealed that she was its previous owner.

#15 Posted by rogueshadow (28809 posts) - - Show Bio

@rajjar said:

So since Hela is still on training wheels, she needs her own TK hammer... to TK other weapons? Like, was Taika Waititi on some shrooms when he was inserting those soft retcons for Odin the Conqueror?

Pretty sure Taika Waititi is always on shrooms.

#16 Posted by uugieboogie (12928 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe when she hit it into the ground her weapon spikes came out of the ground or some shit like that idk

#17 Posted by Amcu (14779 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd assume she used it to fly around and maybe could telepathically control it and make it fly like Thor does.

#18 Posted by Amcu (14779 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicyon said:

Well now that it's confirmed that flight was one of Thor's actual abilities that Mjolnir just helped him focus and not an enhancement of the hammer itself... All I can imagine is that she used it for it's telekinetic connection to help her hone her blade throwing and manipulation, maybe channel her power through it to fire crystal hammers.

When was that confirmed?

#19 Posted by Heatforce (5273 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@epicyon said:

When was that confirmed?

Yeah i thought the difference was Thor had to Throw Mjolnir to fly but Stormbreaker gave Thor true flight? I dont think Thor can fly without a hammer.

#20 Posted by Amcu (14779 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: They say that but there are actually multiple instances of Thor flying without having to spin Mjolnir. But I agree that Thor can't fly without a hammer.

#21 Posted by Mrnoital (7630 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@epicyon said:

When was that confirmed?

Yeah i thought the difference was Thor had to Throw Mjolnir to fly but Stormbreaker gave Thor true flight? I dont think Thor can fly without a hammer.

pretty sure he can't fly, but he can jump over tall buildings in a single bound

#22 Posted by Outside_85 (23387 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit surprised to see people suggest Mjolnir was a kind of help-system for aspiring godlings who couldn't manage their own powers yet. Because I never got that impression it had anything to do with that.

The other option we could assume is going back to some of the very first lines we hear Odin speak at the big celebration: "The mighty hammer, Mjolnir, forged in the hear of a dying star. It's power has no equal, as a weapon to destroy, or a tool to build." The hammer itself has power, and is likely in the hands of whomever Odin considers his champion. What that power is however is more likely the same as they were in myths: unbreakable (disproved), would always hit what it was thrown at (explaining how it seems to have a mind of its own), and ofc returning to the hand that threw it, while all the thunder and lightning effects is Thor's own power, which was then transferred to Mjolnir in the first movie.

#23 Edited by Epicyon (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@epicyon said:

When was that confirmed?

Based on Odin's statements on how Mjolnir only helped him channel his powers then we get multiple instances of "flight"

Glides down from the palace to the middle of the rainbow bridge
Glides down from the palace to the middle of the rainbow bridge
Spins in the air in an unnatural way
Spins in the air in an unnatural way
is suspended in the air for a while
is suspended in the air for a while
No Caption Provided

Then again once he throws Stormbreaker at Thor he is suspended in the air, then land literally directly in front of Thanos to push the axe in further despite throwing it from a couple meters away. Yes it's only seemingly floating and gliding but flight isn't completely out of the realm of possibility since he can create tornadoes, granted only once, he could use wind currents to fly like Storm if he tried. Also on Nidevillir he jumped in a way that made him seem like he was flying, in the "superman" style

#24 Posted by Amcu (14779 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicyon: I think the instances without Stormbreaker are all jumping. I can understand the rational of Thor being able to fly but I don't personally feel we've seen him actually do so with just his own power and no weapon.

#25 Edited by Rajjar (765 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:
@rajjar said:

Pretty sure Taika Waititi is always on shrooms.

Oh my god, LMAO.

QFT.

#26 Edited by Rajjar (765 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85 said:

I'm a bit surprised to see people suggest Mjolnir was a kind of help-system for aspiring godlings who couldn't manage their own powers yet. Because I never got that impression it had anything to do with that.

The other option we could assume is going back to some of the very first lines we hear Odin speak at the big celebration: "The mighty hammer, Mjolnir, forged in the hear of a dying star. It's power has no equal, as a weapon to destroy, or a tool to build." The hammer itself has power, and is likely in the hands of whomever Odin considers his champion. What that power is however is more likely the same as they were in myths: unbreakable (disproved), would always hit what it was thrown at (explaining how it seems to have a mind of its own), and ofc returning to the hand that threw it, while all the thunder and lightning effects is Thor's own power, which was then transferred to Mjolnir in the first movie.

Well, IIRC Thor wasn't good at his own powers without Mjolnir before that. Odin's statements post-mortem and Thor's inability to replicate lightning feats for the majority time of Ragnarok suggests to me as if Thor always believed that his hammer was key. Otherwise, Odin would have had to misinterpret the pessimistic Thor when he said "That hammer was never the source of your power." Thor seemed to be an expert on his powers due to him always channeling it through the hammer, and when it got broken, he did finger bolts when he tried to use his powers on Sakaar.

Odin also used some sort of golden energy with the hammer to banish Thor into the Bifrost. I think that would be his own power, right?

#27 Posted by Outside_85 (23387 posts) - - Show Bio

@rajjar said:
@outside_85 said:

Well, IIRC Thor wasn't good at his own powers without Mjolnir before that. Odin's statements post-mortem and Thor's inability to replicate lightning feats for the majority time of Ragnarok suggests to me as if Thor always believed that his hammer was key. Otherwise, Odin would have had to misinterpret the pessimistic Thor when he said "That hammer was never the source of your power." Thor seemed to be an expert on his powers due to him always channeling it through the hammer, and when it got broken, he did finger bolts when he tried to use his powers on Sakaar.

Odin also used some sort of golden energy with the hammer to banish Thor into the Bifrost. I think that would be his own power, right?

No... see this is something you have to consider on top of everything else. Thor claims he is 1500 years old in Infinity War... we know because the legends from Scandinavia are still in place that Thor will have been using Mjolnir for at least 1000 of those years, likely as much as 1450 years. We also know Thor likes a good brawl and he likes a good drink... what I am saying is that Thor will have been using Mjolnir as an extension of himself for so long that by the time he looses it, he has simply forgotten how the rest of it works even if he knows it should work... so basically he is learning to walk again.