Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) 1 month, 2 days ago

Poll: Do you hate how horrible reality warping characters are at being even semi-competent? (14 votes)

Yes 93%
No 7%

Seriously whenever I see them fight it’s just ‘Punch, Punch, Punch, kick, energy blast’ THEN “I’m getting MaaAAaDD, I’ll use full pooowwwerrr” ‘PUNCHES AND KICKS INTENSIFIES’

And while reading this, I’m like “Do you have some sort of mental issue? Use your nigh omnipotent power and beat your opponent, what’s wrong with you?🤨

Seriously I swear they’re some of the dumbest people in all of comics. How bout you?

#1 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Examples:

Iron man(Phoenix Buster) vs Phoenix force/ are you freakin serious right now? The guy who can’t beat the hulk and Thor is somehow suppose to injure the multiversal, reality warping Phoenix force? Really?

Avengers vs 4 Celestials/ How the celestial didn’t just immediately snap their finger and kill everybody I’ll never know.

Don’t even get me started how reality warping characters fight each other.

#2 Edited by BruceRogers (17610 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Galactus and Odin sometimes appear to fight like this, when they're actually fighting across multiple realities or in some way that cannot be comprehended by lesser beings. Of course, only a small handful of stories show this.

That said, you could chalk it up to plot or the writer/artist imagination (or lack thereof).

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#3 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (5793 posts) - - Show Bio

Proteus, a reality warper, doesn't suffer from this, thankfully. He'll always start with it right off the bat.

Owen and Beyonder is a strange one as well. Both can alter so much, but stick to firing and tanking really powerful energy blasts instead.

#4 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: Last sentence really mean a lot, ‘writing people who can do anything, makes them do generic energy blast’ like seriously they’re not even trying to be creative here. No wonder people think with prep any smart person can beat someone who can literally see into the future and do about anything, comics make them seem so beatable.

#5 Posted by BruceRogers (17610 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: Hulk and Thor are irrelevant because IM has never failed to beat them in his Phoenix buster suit. IIRC he just split the entity into 5 parts anyway.

#6 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: The point was that he always fail to beat these people but somehow can do anything to the immortal and nearly all powerful Phoenix force, but if you want a more recent event he failed to do anything to sentry even though he specifically made the suit for him after the Phoenix event.

#7 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: That last one was probably because they didn’t want Owen to lose immediately as his powers are more limited in comparison to Beyonder, who can do about anything.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#8 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (5793 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@diarrhearegatta: That last one was probably because they didn’t want Owen to lose immediately as his powers are more limited in comparison to Beyonder, who can do about anything.

I guess, but this is coming from the dude who was stated to be the most powerful entity in the Marvel Multiverse at one point and hits with the force of a thousand universes. I don't think Beyonder needed to be nerfed.

#9 Posted by BruceRogers (17610 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: Again, he never beat the Phoenix...

#10 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I know that molecule man has multiversal level molecule manipulation but him straight up not being a reality warper himself limits his power set in comparison to any reality warper because, well they could just start using conceptual attacks that can’t be stopped or healed from and win immediately or anything that Owen’s powers can’t block.

#11 Edited by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: I know he didn’t but he was able to do SOMETHING, and you don’t find that weird? Tony didn’t exactly sneak up on the Phoenix force he went right infront of it and the Phoenix force didn’t do anything, but even though it didn’t do anything nothing tony did should’ve done anything, especially not an energy blast. Unless the Phoenix force is dumb, which is kinda of the point of the thread.

#12 Posted by BruceRogers (17610 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: No, its really not that weird for a comic book super genius to invent something for fighting far above his pay grade. Guys like Dr Doom, Reed Richards, Batman etc do it all the time.

#13 Edited by kgb725 (19553 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

Examples:

Iron man(Phoenix Buster) vs Phoenix force/ are you freakin serious right now? The guy who can’t beat the hulk and Thor is somehow suppose to injure the multiversal, reality warping Phoenix force? Really?

Avengers vs 4 Celestials/ How the celestial didn’t just immediately snap their finger and kill everybody I’ll never know.

Don’t even get me started how reality warping characters fight each other.

Pretty sure the avengers used power ups and still lost to the celestials who only wanted them to defeat the infections. Tony used a special Godkiller suit that was blown up, Shehulk and Thor used a special fruit to give them similar power of a celestial but they ended up losing and powering down too.

Tony split the Phoenix but he got dominated by Cyclops lest we forget what happened in Kun Lun

#14 Edited by Havenless (3177 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because then drama would cease to exist as we know it. Or at least relative drama.

There would be no point to the Avengers if Scarlet Witch went all out all the time. So now you've completely eliminated one of the most popular comics ever just to see the 10th-most-important-character-in-the-book do something different than what their doing. And that goes for any reality warper. There's a specific reason they're being written that way. The other alternative would be to remove their reality warping powers, but that would probably piss you off even more.

#15 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: The problem here is that Tony’s suit either can pass every hax ever, as the Phoenix force can do basically anything or the Phoenix force is stupid and doesn’t do anything and let’s people hit it.

#16 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: Not really, you should stop involving reality Warpers as threats if you can’t write around them or have a good excuse as to why they cant do anything. Example: Franklin Richards is young he can’t control his powers very well so he can’t do everything

When a character doesn’t fit well into a story you don’t generally write them into it, the writers don’t have Thor show up for Spider-Man’s stories to solve his problems because that would be dumb, why should they do that with someone infinitely more powerful?

It’s already bad enough when High tiers have to job to street levels for the street level to be useful, at least in that case you can say they were holding back or something but the reality warper has no excuse.

#17 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by CocaColaMan (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that reality warping should either be ignored or limited in most cases. You can only make your characters so strong before the story starts getting boring.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
#19 Posted by Asgardianweapon (157 posts) - - Show Bio

yea i mean at least alter the abient, create something out of nothing it is better than punching and kicking

#20 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by ANTHP2000 (28553 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda annoying when you have borderline limitless power and you get challenged by such lesser beings so... yeah. Just doesn't make for a convincing story sometimes.

#22 Posted by Fabricolage (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

It could work if they had set rules, limitations, or differentiation of some sort.

A somewhat lazy explanation could be that their attempts are incomprehensible to human beings.

Plus there needs to be a driven creator who can focus on that aspect rather than someone random who hasn't managed that kind of focus, like a gritty and dark writer doing a gritty and dark character or story vs someone who made a happy face once has to now write an elaborate story.