Do you enjoy old comics more than the new ones?

• 67 results
BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sy8000: Really? I read them and I did not find that problem with it. It is more cheesy and dramatic but not nescarrily bad. One thing I notice today is that a lot of comic writers use too much dialogue to explain something EXTREMLY simple so you forgot what they were trying to convey sometimes

im_late

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read new comics for art. Old ones all the way.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 is what I think as well.

Also the old art sometimes really annoys me, I can’t read 90’s comics because of the art and some older comics. For example, I tried to read Crisis on Infinite Earths and the run-up to it and had to push myself considerably because of the art.

I think newer comics are better because some actually have gorgeous art and Hickman didn’t write any of the older ones. Comics also have a much wider variety now.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people talk about how Old Comics have a lot of dialogue, I actually feel the dialogue in the new comics is far more exessive hammering the point into you. Usually the old dialogue would atleast somehow push the story forward. I am reading ASM HUNTED by Spencer now and it is ridicolous how much fat there is in this writing. For instance with Gibbon and his bullying stuff. He just keeps hamfisting that stuff with different words going over the same point.

Alan Moore from what I read of Killing Joke is probably my favourite Dialogue writers in the medium

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like both, but there is a warm feeling I get when reading old comics, and by "old" I mean stuff from the 50's through the 70's. I am absolutely against re-doing the art in these as the art is one of the elements I love most about old comics. It encapsulates comics at that time. How do you "re-do" EC Comics art, Jack Kirby or Neil Adams and make it "better"? When I turn on an old movie, I am looking to see those old actors (probably in black & white) directed and acting in a style that is distinct to that time in film and different than current film. We have current film, we have current comics, there is no reason to alter old works for an audience uncomfortable with old styles. It disrespects the original artists who helped shape the characters we love.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: Which storylines do you prefer? Silver Age Marvel or these days?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

How old is old for the purpose of this question? I can't say I'm too excited over golden or silver age comics. There is a lot of problems with eighties comics, too. Generally rather old comics could be argued to have outdated language, inferior art and an overreliance on exposition in many cases with either narration or characters describing every detail of what is happening due them not truating in the art to relay it properly. Also while constant renu,beeing today is a pain, you can generally trust the storyline within one numberong to be planned out ahead of time, while it was often painfully obvious that in older comics the overall course may be altered suddenly in the middle of a storyline. Generally the idea of older comics being better is more likely gnerated because of a combination of nostalgia and the fact the storylines that are still known today are simply all the great ones and not the useless rabble surrounding it. Much like how we remember Doctor Doom and Magneto as villains and view them as the greatest ever but are utterly unaware of the random villains the heroes fought one or two times in-between their stories. Mainstream comics do seem to be less diverse genrewise these days with everything going for some hollywood blockbuster feel, something like a more old school sc-fi where the newly encountered world, species or technology is a big selling point has become rather uncommon in marvel and DC, but that's aa much a sign of what sells today as it is of the feeble pool of remaining writers basically entirely composed of people with little to no interest in breaking new ground and solely inspired by older well remembered works and not new ideas.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I feel even though comics before when it comes to Marvel Silver Age had a lot of over exposition. I don't really feel it was as bad as people say it is. There is a ton of over exposition today. Today it is over use of dialogue that basically says the same thing. Look at Snyder's Batman for instance.

I feel like stories before were very simple. But the characters were pretty complex. Now everyone usually show the same 1 or 2 personality trait. Either that or all of them feel like a Hollywood blockbuster which I don't think is the right way to go about it. They try to have complex plots today with simple characters, but a lot of the plots just don't have a lot of interest.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 takenstew22  Moderator

Why are people saying the old art was worse than the new? Lack of Color I can understand but there's something really charming about classic comic art. The old style of a mix between realistic and cartoony is just perfect imo. Most notably Ron Lim, Ron Frenz, Jack Kirby, Sal Buscema, Dan Jurgens, George Perez, the Romita's, etc. were all fantastic artists of their times. And I prefer them over most newer artists.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think comics in the 1990s, noughties and 1960s were very good. I haven't read any new comics.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think new comics are not as good as the ones from the noughties and before. Woke stuff has ruined some comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The old & classic comics are generally better in almost every way, but I could just be sentimental.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love older art a lot more. Classic Spidey has some incredible art and I enjoy the older, more vibrant inking style.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don’t know what’s happened, but there are so few new comics that are good, and not just from Marvel or DC. Even the publishers who were always dependable like Image, IDW, and BOOM are not putting out comics as good as they used to.

Maybe I’m just getting old. Lol

Maevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

As in comics published between 1970 and the early 2010s? 100%

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to collect old comics. And I can appreciate all the origin stories. I do think that today's comics do a better job of characterization, plot, and showing action sequences.