Do you enjoy old comics more than the new ones?

• 59 results
BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know what it is,but I feel less excited about reading new comics than old ones. Anyone have this feeling? Specifically Spider-Man

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should remaster classics. With newer art. The old day art is a massive turn off for me.

Avatar image for randybutternubs
RandyButterNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was wanting to read some Justice League so i decided to read Rebirth and it was total garbage, decided to go back to JLA.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was wanting to read some Justice League so i decided to read Rebirth and it was total garbage, decided to go back to JLA.

I mean I am reading the Stan Lee Spider-Man so going as far back as 60s comics(MARVEL). I enjoy those more than Nick Spencer's for instance. I am more excited to read from where I left off with Epic collectoin 3 after the Spider-Man No More Saga than I am reading more of Hunted from Spencer.What are your feelings on this?

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I think comics as a medium has fallen off a cliff in recent years. I've been reading old 70s Marvel comics like Towers of Shadow, Kull the Conqueror, Spoof etc. I also re-read Gotham by Gaslight last week. I rarely buy any new comics, bad and or derivative writing, and substandard art, that's all I see from the industry today.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@combo-man: :

Absolutely. I think comics as a medium has fallen off a cliff in recent years. I've been reading old 70s Marvel comics like Towers of Shadow, Kull the Conqueror, Spoof etc. I also re-read Gotham by Gaslight last week. I rarely buy any new comics, bad and or derivative writing, and substandard art, that's all I see from the industry today.

Yes but why do we enjoy these old comics more? I can't put my finger on it. But for instance with Spider-Man I just feel Peter in the 60s was a more interesting character with a wider range of emotions. He acutally had a negative resenting side. Now for some reason,he only is happy and does a lot of quips during people's conversations and that's it.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a double edged sword. The thing I respect about the classic era is all the groundbreaking (sure, lots of ideas were basically slightly polished popular art/media subjects reanimated for comics, but still) facets that made us fall in love with these concepts. Imagination put into that conceptualization and how fresh and addictive it was. At the same time, lots of times I struggle with outdated prose, tropes and art. With "modern" era you can have a more sophisticated and complex prose, twists that deconstruct the tropes and art that is arguably worthy of a "painting" title, but there's soooo much trash in between it isn't even funny. I don't think I even need to elaborate what I mean here.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Combo-Man

@billybobyamma:

I like the old comics because they have better writing, more creativity and originality. and have better artwork from artists that knew how to tell a story with pictures. I think Spider-Man (as well as many other Marvel characters) was written better back in the 60s-90s, as you said he was more interesting and not one dimensional.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

Please elaborate, your post got interesting and you cut it off before that. And could you use examples of ongoing series for instance?

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on my mood. They definitely have better writing.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@combo-man: it is so odd yo usay the writing is better. Because my friend doesn't think so. I often described 60s (Marvel) comics as Simple plots with complex characters.

Now I feel like I get simple characters with something they want you to think it is interesting but really isn't

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adamTRMM

@billybobyamma said:

Please elaborate, your post got interesting and you cut it off before that. And could you use examples of ongoing series for instance?

About elaboration I was specifically talking about "trash" we have published today as an overall observation of current years. Ok, trash might be a bit harsh, because even when stories are weak, art could be amazing, or vice versa. But I think we can all agree that gimmicky events do more damage than good.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am reading Immortal Hulk and I don't understand the hype. I am reading Nick Spencer's Spider-Man and thought it was okay. So maybe modern comics are not for me.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma:

That's a good description of 60s Marvel. and by the late 70s the plots were getting more complex and inventive too. I find characters in modern comics to be a bunch of pedantic preachy bores or quirky sarcastic dorks. and comics these days don't so much have stories as they do a series of loosely tied situations, or the tired old save the world cliché.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

They should remaster classics. With newer art. The old day art is a massive turn off for me.

Whoa there Disney, let's pump the breaks

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old comics. No doubt.

I'm currently reading Stan Lee Fantastic Four.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no. Older comics stories get me on nostalgia, but modern comic art can be unrivaled in how gorgeous it is

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma: The third issue was really good, but after that, it got too preachy for me, and I really didn't like it. I actually hated it because it seemed like I was reading Stan's Soap Box as a character.

His best works that I've read is his Spider-man and Captain America.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128:

Captain america really?

I always heard it was Spider-Man and Fantastic Four. And everything else from that era I've heard is bad

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma: I wouldn't recommend reading what comes after though. At least for awhile. It made me dislike Cap, but the run that Stan Lee wrote for Cap is one of the best runs that I've read. Easily the best Cap has ever been written.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:
@rbt said:

I'm serious. Art is legit the sole reason I've never read Phoenix Saga, despite always wanting to.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and it isn't because of nostalgia. I prefer the old style artwork more than recent ones, and I wasn't even born in the 20th century.

Avatar image for dcandmarvelcomicfan
DCandMarvelComicFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma:

I like the old comics because they have better writing, more creativity and originality. and have better artwork from artists that knew how to tell a story with pictures. I think Spider-Man (as well as many other Marvel characters) was written better back in the 60s-90s, as you said he was more interesting and not one dimensional.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
@tomkatie said:
@rbt said:

I'm serious. Art is legit the sole reason I've never read Phoenix Saga, despite always wanting to.

Wait, you think the Phoenix Saga had bad art?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22: I'm sure people like older art style. I don't. Phoenix Saga doesn't really have 'bad' art. Its just old.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the 90s-2000s the most.

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Writing wise, the old ones are just much better. Today's comic offers better art, yet most of them are just not very engaging. God knows how many runs I've dropped just from the past few years.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan:

It's so werid how I feel this exact way, but for some reason my friend says the old ones suck. But then again he doesn't actually read the new ones besides Wonder Woman New 52 and Rebirth and listens to all of them out of comicstorian

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

I had him read If This Be My Destiny by Steve Ditko Spider-Man 31-33. And this is my favourite Spidey story ever. I had 2 people read it 1 colleague at work and he said "that was one of the best comics I have ever read in my life" and my best friend which is hte one who reads off of comicstorian who was like "it was ok but it was way too short and the writing wasn't taht good"

ByondEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most old comics are better than the newer ones.

There are still a lot of good new comics.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@adamtrmm said:

It's a double edged sword. The thing I respect about the classic era is all the groundbreaking (sure, lots of ideas were basically slightly polished popular art/media subjects reanimated for comics, but still) facets that made us fall in love with these concepts. Imagination put into that conceptualization and how fresh and addictive it was. At the same time, lots of times I struggle with outdated prose, tropes and art. With "modern" era you can have a more sophisticated and complex prose, twists that deconstruct the tropes and art that is arguably worthy of a "painting" title, but there's soooo much trash in between it isn't even funny. I don't think I even need to elaborate what I mean here.

Honestly this. Say what you want about some political agendas in comic books nowadays, the prose in old school comic books, especially Lee's, feel like you're recapping everything that recently happened to a character in a lot of their thought bubbles and dialogue.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I will say this...................I absolutely LOVE the SMELL of old comic books. Anyone know what I mean?

No Caption Provided

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma: I can see the old art style being a massive turn off for new readers, since they are gonna be comparing it to the new ones.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 12

My favorite comic book period would be beginning of the 00's until around 2008. That's the period when the best stories were produced imo. I am not only talking about Batman or Spidey but for most of my favorite characters and generally the big 2.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vishop_

Pretty much every new comic that I am reading right now are mostly indie and vertigo comics. Most of the mainstream comics sucks because they are either inconsistent(Marvel Now and DC Rebirth) or dragged like hell. Overall Old Comics suited me more ,especially from 80's to early 00's era. It's just that new comics have a variety of aesthetics (which I adore tbh).

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybobyamma:

I can see not digging the retro stuff, I myself had a hard time with that in the beginning. But with the love for comics, you learn to love or at least gain respect for the OGs as well. Well that's how I had it. Anyway, if that person is just a trendy culture vulture that is just there for hype then his opinion is irrelevant, if he has a taste you tend to agree with that's a different story.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Combo-Man

The truth is, for the most part new comic art is a total disgrace. a few people have said the artwork is a reason they may not read old comics, or that new art is superior to the old art, and I find that baffling. I think there might be a lack of familiarity with comics as an art form with some.

the peak of the medium was actually in the mid 20th century, when the greatest of all time were working and in their prime. Milton Caniff, Wally Wood, Will Eisner, Jack Davis, Joe Orlando, Alex Toth etc. nothing will ever touch that. sadly most of these guys didn't do much work in the superhero genre, they worked mostly in the War; Adventure, Horror, suspense and sci-fi genres, but their work is the apex, the standard.

Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates comic 1938
Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates comic 1938
Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates comic 1940
Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates comic 1940
Wally Wood comic MAD 1953
Wally Wood comic MAD 1953
Alex Toth, Creepy Magazine (Warren) 1976

But as for the superhero genre, the peak was from the 60s to the 90s. some of the best artists being Jack Kirby; John Romita Sr, John Buscema, Marie Severin, John Severin, Herb Trimpe, Gene Colan, Neal Adams, Dick Giordano, Jim Steranko, John Byrne, Paul Smith, Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli, George Perez, Jerry Ordway, Steve Epting, Mike Mignola, Paul Ryan, Mark Bagley, Andy Kubert, Jim Lee etc.

Trimpe & Severin Hulk #147 1972
Trimpe & Severin Hulk #147 1972
Mazzucchelli Batman: Year One 1987
Mazzucchelli Batman: Year One 1987
Andy Kubert Captain America #14, 1999
Andy Kubert Captain America #14, 1999

Unfortunately the superhero genre's best days are behind it. art from new comics especially mainstream comics is usually amateur hour unless it's drawn by an old established artist. which doesn't happen often enough because those guys are expensive, and the big two (especially Marvel) would rather cut corners by hiring younger less talented or less experienced artists trying to break into the industry, or just trying to make a name for themselves.

BillyBobYamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@combo-man:

That is the art,but what are your thoughts on the story man?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what it is,but I feel less excited about reading new comics than old ones. Anyone have this feeling? Specifically Spider-Man

It has always been the case. Let me tell you why. The quantity of old comics is so huge compared to the quantiy of new comics. So when picking up a new comics you have a lot bigger chance on getting an non-enjoyable one. While when you pick an old comics, you have more chances on picking a good one. Even more because in the "old" comics, the "bad" ones are not reprinted anymore and are almost forgotten.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
FinalKingThanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like a mix of both tbh good stories or good art and I'm happy

ANTHP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This completely depends on the comic books themselves. Also, what do you define as "old" comics? Silver age?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AHAHAHA!

I legitimately smile and laughed at this.

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

They should remaster classics. With newer art.

That sounds like a great idea, tbh.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really old comics have massively dated prose. The dialogue and internal monologue seriously have not aged well.