Do writers value feats as much as Viners do?

• 83 results
The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Do writers value feats as much as Viners do? (132 votes)

Yes, of course 5%
No, that'd be ridiculous 95%
 • 
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jashro44

Of course not. In the battle forums we keep much better track of the feats we like and dislike. Writers mostly just look at characters as they are on paper. Or have characters just do whatever suits the story.

TheBeardOfZues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe some do who want the characters to remain consistent but, you can tell a lot don’t.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would they?

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat
tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Justiciar
Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_magister:

Because they don't care about it, simple as that really.

Dession_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they don't don't care about feats.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I wouldn't say they don't care about feats, but I think it's safe to say they don't let them dictate their stories. I imagine most approach the story having a handle on the character's general capabilities and then go from there.

It's important to remember that a lot of these writers legitimately care about these characters just as much as we do. I say that as someone who's been fortunate enough to interact with a lot of creators, and not just for on the record interviews.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: @k4tzm4n:Yeah I actually get what you guys are saying. One of my buds had personally asked a writer a while back (or was it an artist/some other creative talent, I don't recall)...he had asked them about Batman's strength level. The person apparently replied something like "around highest Olympic weightlifter level, probably a bit higher due to his conditioning."

That is so not in line with his actual feats tbh.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Feats aren’t nearly as important as CV makes them out to be. Even for determining who wins a battle. CV has developed way too much of a tendency to only look at feats and ignore more credible information like portrayals and lore.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

No, because they are trying to tell a story, not measure a character against others.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as much as we do here.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Justiciar
@tparks said:

Feats aren’t nearly as important as CV makes them out to be. Even for determining who wins a battle. CV has developed way too much of a tendency to only look at feats and ignore more credible information like portrayals and lore.

Agreed. Take for example, MCU Black Widow. I don't think someone like Post-Crisis Batgirl would ever be written to beat her.

Feats-wise is a different story, though.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#17  Edited By KrleAvenger

They like cool feats sometimes, but they don't care about them that much. That's why concepts like PIS, CIS, WIS and jobbing exist.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not. The stories wouldn't be as compelling if all they thought about were feats. Comics would just be action movies in paper form.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I feel that's it's a difference on viewpoint and perspective. Writers may not necessarily view "feats" the way us readers do, or even think of instances and actions performed as "feats". There is simply being a story told with characters performing in accordance with abilities and powers.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they do. The quintessential segment is a compelling, intriguing story,

not feats......

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Pretty sure not all comic book readers don't care about feats either. I know I didn't until I came here. Now whenever I read a book, one of the first things that comes to mind is how the debaters are going to react to them. And I don't even debate lol

Also, I suppose it really depends on the writer. Some do more research and pay more attention to stuff like this, while others focus more on the story they want to write about.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tparks said:

If someone's less durable than a Helicarrier, Iron Fist wins 10/10!!!

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats literally don’t matter

The first green lantern run of the new 52 was my fav, but Geoff didn’t give Hal any feats

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a writer myself, let me summarize what it's like to think of feats for a character.

"Ok what would be the coolest and most thematic option... hm, this would be cool, but is kinda out of his league... f*** it, I'll do it anyway and give him some excuse as to why he can now"

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell nah. Comic and film writers aren’t doing their jobs to appease the Comic Vine Battle forum sweaties lol

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Of course not, but a sense of continuity should be rigorously followed and feats fall in that consideration.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most writers don't value feats at all though certain characters lend themselves to being wanked by writers more than others. Certain writers also get off by having characters they write do things well beyond anyone would have thought they were capable which is what has led to things such as the Loeb force or Aaron force.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody values feats as much as viners. I mean it is cool on here when people are so knowledgeable about various feats and can make compelling arguments for why x can beat y but i want to read a good story, not a bunch of feats that show Wonder Woman being fast enough to dodge Superman or whatever. I’ve seen people on here complaining that writers aren’t giving their favourite characters good enough feats but I really couldn’t care less if the story is good and I’m pretty sure writers feel the same way. The only thing I hate regarding feats is when writers will grossly over or under power characters to fit the story because that is just bad storytelling.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because (and I think the others would at least slightly agree with me on this one) a writers job isn't to fuel the illustrious debates that go on here on the CV battle forums by delivering us more feats. Their job is to give us proper stories that entertain us and show what their favourite characters would do is situations. It's the same reason why Superman has never punched a planet, it's not a question of whether he can or can't it's a question 'why would he in the first place?'.

SpicedRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's just us nerds

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renny: Dan Slott used to be on here quite a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Nope.

That's why the majority of the hero vs hero fights, even in movies like Ragnerok, end in semi-stalemates, so that idiots like us would debate about it.

I don't mind usually, if the writers are consistent with the powerlevels at the very least, story should always come first.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

This so much

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do writers value feats as much as Viners do? (36 votes)

Yes, of course 0%

No, that'd be ridiculous (Your vote) 100%

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

That's why the majority of the hero vs hero fights, even in movies like Ragnerok, end in semi-stalemates, so that idiots like us would debate about it.

I don't mind usually, if the writers are consistent with the powerlevels at the very least, story should always come first.

Keep telling yourself it was a stalemate until you believe it :P

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull: I'm just joking btw, don't take it literal.

I didn't dude, and one way or the order I loved the movie and how the portrayed hulk, so all's cool :P

Though I am hoping for some more serious character developments in infinity war.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I think a writer emphaisis more a character's traits and personality. what they represent, and go from there. Decide on an angle and go from there. For example, Morrison and Snyder focus on batman as an adaptor, representing human potential, and he's a monster under them. Dini focuses on detective batman work, much more down to earth, and less of feat monster. both make absolutely fantastic stories though, cause they focus and emphasis different aspects of batman. Another example is wonder woman, she was basically featless throughout azarellos run, and rucka had her get hit by a bullet. but both of their runs are out of this world (imo) because they got down to what Diana represents and who she is.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If comic book writers care anything at all about what you are referring to as feats, it might explain why modern day comic books are so awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Writers really just base what a character can do on their handbook entires, they care about comics as an art form and an entertainment medium,.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writers don't give a shit about battle boards stuff.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@undefined: I don't think writers even remember the feats they make a character perform as well as viners do.

I think that goes beyond just feats. Fans tend to remember facts, details, feats etc better than writers.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. If they did then comics would read more like respect threads and the battle forums.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: No the feats serve the story not the other way around , Ron marz told me that

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Of course. Feats>>>>>>>Story.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers